• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - Where am I? (a bit of fun)

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I love to see the photo gallery on the Forum, and when I see CF photos I'm sure that 50-60% of the time I can guess where the picture was taken.

I thought it might be fun to have a bit of a competition. Starting with some easy photos and maybe getting harder as we go. Just another means of dreaming of our next Camino...........

I'll kick off with this one. (You need to name the specific place or at least identify the location within a few hundred metres!)

Where am I?

2018-04-26 10.49.52.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love to see the photo gallery on the Forum, and when I see CF photos I'm sure that 50-60% of the time I can guess where the picture was taken.

I thought it might be fun to have a bit of a competition. Starting with some easy photos and maybe getting harder as we go. Just another means of dreaming of our next Camino...........

I'll kick off with this one. (You need to name the specific place or at least identify the location within a few hundred metres!)

Where am I?

View attachment 64664

The emergency shelter before the Roland Fountain. To whom it may concern, when I was there it was stocked with a little wood, but no matches or anything with which to start a fire in an emergency.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I won't give the game away but on our first Camino the weather was so bad that we couldn't even enter as it was packed with pilgrims. All we could do was stand in the lee.

And this is ........?20190520_131237.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I won't give the game away but on our first Camino the weather was so bad that we couldn't even enter as it was packed with pilgrims. All we could do was stand in the lee.

It was blowing a gale the day we stopped there. That wind vane could have powered a small city it was going so fast!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looks like the section leaving Molinaseca,

Spot on. As you exit towards Ponferrada. That column has a twin in Japan on the 88 Temple route.

Spot on. As you exit towards Ponferrada. That column has a twin in Japan on the 88 Temple route.
Must have missed the Japanese one. Where is the twin on Shikoku? Interesting because the official twinning is with the Kumano Kodo rather than Shikoku.

Must have missed the Japanese one. Where is the twin on Shikoku? Interesting because the official twinning is with the Kumano Kodo rather than Shikoku.
You're right about the official twinning and that gives the twin pilgrim status.
The column in Shikoku marks the 88 kms to go spot. It's just after temple 78.20171012_083103.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ilarraz , between Zubiri and Pamplona.
La Abadia aka Ermita de Santa Lucia.

Right location. not sure you have the name right..........
They've done amazing work restoring it!

The Abbey of Eskirotz & Ilarratz is situated on The Way of St. James (Camino de Santiago) shortly after Zubiri, in the Valley of Esteribar. The church is on the right hand side of the road 150m past the village of Ilarratz on the way to Larrasoana.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"Ramon's place! He was swinging the red cape around!...Yes!

Right Idea. Not Ramon's place exactly. It was where Tom and Joost parted prior to Pamplona.
Tom met Sarah for the first time.
In the morning, the Hotel owner was indeed practising his bull fighting with a red table cloth as Tom watched from that balcony.
In reality, not an Albergue but the Hotel Akerreta a few kms past Zubiri.
Amazing place to stay..........

Sorry, a bit obscure that one....

Right Idea. Not Ramon's place exactly. It was where Tom and Joost parted prior to Pamplona.
Tom met Sarah for the first time.
In the morning, the Hotel owner was indeed practising his bull fighting with a red table cloth as Tom watched from that balcony.
In reality, not an Albergue but the Hotel Akerreta a few kms past Zubiri.
Amazing place to stay..........

Sorry, a bit obscure that one....
Well, it was worth it even though I was wrong cuz it brought back a good, funny memory from the movie.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This one may be cheating/too easy.

IMG-0428.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Most, if not nearly all of my pics are of moments rather than places. I have a dozen pics of a cow I had a conversation with who tried to lick my hand like a dog. She also bumped heads with I guess, possibly, her daughter and they then groomed each other. Something I never knew cows did but I suppose all mammals do. A beautiful moment!
Also a particularly lovely moment with a kitten!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just remembered, the cows were in Las Herrerias. A small herd of about ten, in the field next to the village. I am sure many here would have seen them this Summer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
r006-019.jpg
If you can tell me, I will be delighted! I remember it was in a large church, on an incline on the right, and a nice young man gave us a guided tour. I was so happy to get in out of the heat!
A hint: connected with Earthquake in Portugal last century. In fact, it might have been the one in 1755.
Found it in my notes from 2006...Villacarza de Sirga,

Last edited by a moderator:

Where am I?

View attachment 64664
Lost?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back