• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances

robert bilbie

Time of past OR future Camino
IN FUTURE
Dear all,

Getting really excited as just under two weeks till I start walking the Camino, and have a few general questions.

Although an experienced walker, just wondering how to keep the momentum of walking for 35 days,

Have an overnight stop in Biarritz before I commence, and wondered where is the best place to purchase an EU charger (220 volts) for my iPhone.

Will be following John Brierley’s guide and stage 1 – SJPP to Roncesvalles – has been suggested a quite challenging due to steep climb to Col de Lepoeder.

Can I walk this stage in 1 day and do I need to book hostel at Roncesvalles in advance.

Looking forward to meeting fellow walkers.

Any comments and suggestions most welcome

Robert

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not much help about the charger I'm afraid. The vast majority of people who walk the Camino Frances walk the stage from St Jean to Roncesvalles in one day with no big problems. Relatively few choose to break the journey at Orisson or at Valcarlos on the alternative route. Many people also walk with very little prior experience. If you are an experienced walker I would not be concerned about day 1. Accommodation at Roncesvalles can be a problem. I walked at the same time as you last year and it filled up by late afternoon. There have been many reports this year of people being turned away. I would suggest for peace of mind that you make a reservation.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome to the forum. Took me 50 days to walk the CF from SJPdP to Santiago. If I can do it, you can. :p:p:p Seriously, each day is different and even within each day the scenery changes. Was never bored for a moment, was often in awe, and always woke looking forward to another day of walking. Definitely book Roncesvalles. Sorry I can't help with your other question. Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi - Enjoy! Is totally normal to be concerned about things at first but the best thing to do is to just put one foot in front of the other ... off you go!
And remember that the guide book is exactly that, a guide book, not a rule book - it is more important to read your body than read the guide book - don't force yourself to complete guided 'day stages', stop when you have had enough walking for the day ... start short days and build up distances if you want to.
First day is ok if you start really early and pace yourself, taking breaks and removing footwear and socks regularly and enjoying the view.

You can get a suitable charger in any big supermarket, try and get one with multiple usb sockets so you can share with other pilgrims ;) . Have a Fab Camino!!

p.s. - look after your feet!!

Buy a charger in a proper mobile phone shop, or electrical shop, and not a Chino shop, as there are a lot of fake Apple ones on sale that are substandard. You want an 'EU to USB', and bring the USB cable for your phone with you.

Ignoring all concept of 'official' or 'normal' stages will improve your experience considerably. Don't worry about momentum. You get your momentum from the flow of people.

Ignoring all concept of 'official' or 'normal' stages will improve your experience considerably. Don't worry about momentum. You get your momentum from the flow of people.

I agree. Feel free to stop whenever you feel tired, or something interesting catches your eye, or you meet someone with a fascinating tale to tell. Or to keep going for a little further when the day is beautiful and you are in your stride and the km markers just seem to be flashing past. A guide book should be a useful tool and not a ball and chain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought a charger with a European plug on Amazon. Mine has two USB ports so that I can share with other pilgrims. Alternatively, bring your charger from home and use a plug adapter with it. I recommend that you duct tape the adapter to the charger so that you don't accidentally leave the adapter behind in the plug.
Please make sure that the charger that you use does not have an annoying LED light, especially if you plan to charge your phone at night in albergues.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...Have an overnight stop in Biarritz before I commence, and wondered where is the best place to purchase an EU charger (220 volts) for my iPhone.
The standard iPhone charger itself is designed for dual voltages (110/220 volts). What you need is a plug adapter to allow the North American configuration of two flat prongs to mate with the continental Europe configuration of two round prongs. You can find them in any place that sells electronics for around 5 euros or less. I recommend taping the adapter to the charger because it's easy to separate the two components when in a rush to get going from wherever you have plugged it in.

You can, of course, buy a complete charger with the proper plug configuration as an alternative, but expect to pay 20 or 30 euros. Most phone stores (Vodaphone, Orange, Movil, etc.) have them, as do some of the specialty shops found in airports.

Buen Camino

I bought a charger with a European plug on Amazon. Mine has two USB ports so that I can share with other pilgrims. Alternatively, bring your charger from home and use a plug adapter with it. I recommend that you duct tape the adapter to the charger so that you don't accidentally leave the adapter behind in the plug.
Please make sure that the charger that you use does not have an annoying LED light, especially if you plan to charge your phone at night in albergues.

Trecile, do you know the weight of that charger?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
First the charger; the charger you have is fine. It is 110V / 220V compatible.All that is needed is an adapter from whatever the charger uses to plug into the wall to and EU style 220V plug. which is two round pins. If from Britain, you have two or three rectangular pins. If US or Canada, your pins are thinner than the UK style. The adapter merely changes the pins style goinginto the wall in France, Spain etc. They can be found in many places from travel agents to hardware store. Just check for 110 220 adapter online.

Depending on your arrival time in Biarritz airport, you may not need to stay overnight. Even at suppertime, you can walk out the airport doors and hail a cab to SJPP. Also, it is usually easy to find 3 more to share the 1oo EU cost to get there which will likely be less than staying in town overnight and then taking the train to SJPP in the morning. Once there, look up the Pilgrim's office immediately, get your Credentiel and find a hostel at a Pilgrim rate.

Trecile, do you know the weight of that charger?

I have one. I weights almost nothing. Kitchen scale says 2 oz.
jo webber is right, it's 1.9 ounce/54 grams. I had a lighter weight one last year, but it got rather hot when it was charging, so I bought this one because in the item details it says "Integrated smart device protection chip to prevent overcharging and overheating." And indeed, it never overheated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
jo webber is right, it's 1.9 ounce/54 grams. I had a lighter weight one last year, but it got rather hot when it was charging, so I bought this one because in the item details it says "Integrated smart device protection chip to prevent overcharging and overheating." And indeed, it never overheated.

I'm glad you posted about this charger. Thanks, this will save me some weight over the one I now have. :)

Dear all,

Getting really excited as just under two weeks till I start walking the Camino, and have a few general questions.

Although an experienced walker, just wondering how to keep the momentum of walking for 35 days,

Have an overnight stop in Biarritz before I commence, and wondered where is the best place to purchase an EU charger (220 volts) for my iPhone.

Will be following John Brierley’s guide and stage 1 – SJPP to Roncesvalles – has been suggested a quite challenging due to steep climb to Col de Lepoeder.

Can I walk this stage in 1 day and do I need to book hostel at Roncesvalles in advance.

Robert

My day is getting closer too, and as my departure date grows closer (I leave here the night of the 13 and arrive CDG the morning of the 14, go by train to Bairritz at around 7 pm local time. I expect that I will be jet lagged to death. My concern is whether I stay the night there, or push on to SJPdP.

That said, I have a jet lag recovery day in SJPdP where I will pick up my credencial, and a few incidentals for the trip. And the next day, its boots on the Camino and the next stop Roncevalles where I reserved a bed, just in case.

I still am not sure whether to take the high road or the low road as both will take me to the same place: The difference is that once you pass a certain point, you are committed to Roncevalles as there is no way to bail and make a stop elsewhere unless you turn back I don't imagine that I am among the fastest of walkers, but I am a steady one, so one way or another, I will get there.

Now, as I have gathered here is that this year the hostel at Roncevalles lost well over 100 beds. And the next stop is 3 more km down the road. That is certainly not insurmountable, but I'd rather not if I didn't have to. After that first night though, the options open up. of course YMMV.

Dear all,

Robert
You should have time to order a European charger for your phone. Not expensive and less bulky than a charger plus adapter. I got one from Amazon.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for checking. My current charger is 6 ounces, so I think I'll invest in this one and shave a bit of weight. :)
...6 ounces!!.....that's big enough to power up a small african village.

I still am not sure whether to take the high road or the low road as both will take me to the same place
Abby, the lower Valcarlos route allows you to spend the night roughly half-way to Roncesvalles (Valcarlos has a nice albergue) - and is gorgeous in its own right. It's also the more ancient of the 2 routes. The added blessing is that you'll be avoiding the crowds, no small consideration in September.
(BTW, FWIW I pushed on to SJPP the first night and spent 2 nights there, to poke around and to have time for the body to catch up to where I had brought it. It was one of the nicest days of the entire Camino that year, so I'm very glad I did.)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back