• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances

Una

I am starting the Camino Frances, for the first time, from Roncevalles on May 28th next. Would be interested in hearing from anyone starting from St Jean or Roncevalles at that time. Would anyone know how long it takes by taxi from St. Jean to Roncevalles? Also is a sleeping bag necessary or would a silk liner do?
Thanks and best wishes to all ,
:D
Una

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Una,
The taxi will probably take half an hour or so.
I would take a lightweight sleeping bag. You'll be cold in the high places in May and beginning of June but will fry on the plains as it warms up!

Hey Una,

Nice to hear you are doing the Camino for the first time on your own!!! I was panicing with the idea on the eve of my Camino two years ago ... but trust me ... you will never be on your own on the Camino .. you will definately meet other fellow pilgrims!! You will definately enjoy the idea of being on your own and you will end up with a list of new friends at the end!!!

I am walking again this year, again on my own but will start round about end of June!! But i still need to decide which way to get !!!

Wish you well !!

Buen Camino

chax :arrow:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Chax,

Thanks for your words of encouragement, they are much appreciated and needed! Good luck to you on your 2009 camino, may it be even better than your first .
Una

Hi Folks,
Could anyone give me some information re having one' s bag transported on a daily basis along the Camino Frances and is it possible to have this done if one stays in refugios.
Cheers
Una

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Public albergues are supposed to turn you away if you use a chase car or baggage service. Other pilgrims will report on you to the hospitalero/a if they see you pick your bag up at the edge of town from a baggage service! They, after all, are the ones who may have to walk an extra 5 km if you take the last bed. The private albergues (Red Albergues) do not care, and they will take reservations as well.

Hi Falcon 269,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate your explanation, until now I had not realized why people might object to having one's bag transported. I thought that it could be frowned upon because it was not the traditional way of doing the camino. I have been advised not to carry my bag but despite this I have been training with it. Yesterday I walked 20k carrying it, but now realize that I will not be able to manage it. Rather than give up on doing the camino I will have to use the private albergues. Is there anywhere I could find a list of red albergues? Also do you know of contact details for a transporting company? Your help is much appreciated.
All good wishes,
Una

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[quote="Una] Is there anywhere I could find a list of red albergues? Also do you know of contact details for a transporting company? Your help is much appreciated.
All good wishes,
Una[/quote]

Una,

The following is a great planning web site that will reveal all accommodations in each place along the Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago as well as along two other routes. If you proceed through the planning elements you will have your answer and be able to reserve in advance where those reservations are accepted. Good Luck.

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.