• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francigena Questions

Sunny Fitgirl

Fast Little Canadian
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May/June 2017)
Camino Norte (May/June 2018)
Hi! I am planning on doing the Tuscany section of the Camino Francigena in May from Lucca to Siena then on to Lisbon to do the Camino de Santiago Portugeuse in June. I have done the Francis and Norte Routes. I was wondering approximately how many pilgrims might I expect to be walking with/meeting each day. Also, what kind of (albergues (not sure what they are called in Italy)) accommodations are there for pilgrims on that route? I read perhaps you sleep on the floor in churches, convents, etc ? I am walking solo and don't always want to be in the middle of nowhere by myself. Also, how difficult is it compared to the above mentioned Caminos? I am very fit but just wondering. I have a very little but very heavy backpack. I found both other Caminos fine. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First point: It is the Via Francigena, not the Camino Francigena ;) While you will not find the hundreds of pilgrims that you would see on the Camino Frances every day you are unlikely to be alone for long unless you choose to be. Especially at night in the pilgrim ostellos. Hard to estimate exactly how many but tens rather than hundreds I would expect. Between Lucca and Siena I never had to sleep on a floor - all the ostellos I used had bunk beds, though I did choose to stay in a youth hostel on the edge of Siena. The stretch from Lucca to Siena is beautiful with a lot of gently rolling hills with only a couple of short steep sections like the climb to San Miniato which is over in a few minutes. Nothing like the mountain stages of the Camino Frances (or what I have heard of the Norte). If you want mountains on the VF they are all north of Lucca.

First point: It is the Via Francigena, not the Camino Francigena ;) While you will not find the hundreds of pilgrims that you would see on the Camino Frances every day you are unlikely to be alone for long unless you choose to be. Especially at night in the pilgrim ostellos. Hard to estimate exactly how many but tens rather than hundreds I would expect. Between Lucca and Siena I never had to sleep on a floor - all the ostellos I used had bunk beds, though I did choose to stay in a youth hostel on the edge of Siena. The stretch from Lucca to Siena is beautiful with a lot of gently rolling hills with only a couple of short steep sections like the climb to San Miniato which is over in a few minutes. Nothing like the mountain stages of the Camino Frances (or what I have heard of the Norte). If you want mountains on the VF they are all north of Lucca.
You can find a list of hostel accommodation here https://www.viefrancigene.org/it/resource/blog/Webmaster/accoglienza-pellegrina-e-turistica/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi! I am planning on doing the Tuscany section of the Camino Francigena in May from Lucca to Siena then on to Lisbon to do the Camino de Santiago Portugeuse in June. I have done the Francis and Norte Routes. I was wondering approximately how many pilgrims might I expect to be walking with/meeting each day. Also, what kind of (albergues (not sure what they are called in Italy)) accommodations are there for pilgrims on that route? I read perhaps you sleep on the floor in churches, convents, etc ? I am walking solo and don't always want to be in the middle of nowhere by myself. Also, how difficult is it compared to the above mentioned Caminos? I am very fit but just wondering. I have a very little but very heavy backpack. I found both other Caminos fine. Thanks.
Sunny, I sent you a private note but also meant to tell you, there is a Via Francigena Facebook page that you might find helpful. Lots of great folks and information there as well as here. Hope to see you on the path. Buen Camino!

Jeff,

Thanks so much for that info and the corrections. :)

Carla

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From Lucca to Rome in October 2018 we met less than 20 pilgrims in 3 weeks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there. I walked solo from Great Saint Bernard Pass to Rome in Aug/Sept last year. I had MANY days were I spoke to no one except the person who was at the ostello at night. You must enjoy your own company to walk the Via. It is very beautiful and the Tuscan section is extra special. I never slept on the floor and always had a bed and a shower at every convent/ostello I stayed at. They are often simple and spartan, but the welcome is always warm. Enjoy, Mel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back