• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Francis and Portugues

SusanH

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked 2014
I could use some input here!

I walked the Francés in the fall of 2014. It’s been in my thoughts every darn day since I returned home.

I’m unable to take another leave of absence from work which leaves me only July and August - the 2 busiest and the 2 hottest months of the year in terms of walking.

Knowing that I only had July and August to work with, I turned my attention to the Portugués Way as it isn’t as busy durning the summer months. I believe that it will still be pretty warm - maybe not quite as hot as the Francés???50852D82-D31A-4128-B541-79F9F494DF61.jpeg

Truth be told, it is the Francés that is still in my heart and I want to walk it again. What troubles me about the Francés is this: I’m a larger woman therefore, I would have to make a reservation for each night as I would not be able to do the top bunk (I’m too heavy, and I pee 3 times a night.) I was able to avoid the top bunk in September 2014, but I was always anxious about it. My second concern is the heat: I am a cautious person when it comes to overheating. I dink water with electrolytes, wear sunscreen and keep an eye out for my tolerance level. But, I just don’t know HOW HOT it really is and whether or not there is any escape from it (at times if needed).

So, do I do more research on the Portugués Way and choose it or try and make the Francés work for me?

Thank you for your thoughts - they are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First off, if the Frances is what is still tugging at you for the past 4 years, I would say do it. I don’t see you having an issue with getting the bunk you require, calling that same morning to reserve should be doable.

Secondly, when I was walking this past summer with another pilgrim (CF in the Meseta) who has walked over a handful Caminos, we began to talk about the Portuguese Way and he remarked how much asphalt walking was involved and recalled how hot the ground would get that he could feel it through his boots.

So, do I do more research on the Portugués Way and choose it or try and make the Francés work for me?

Hi, the Portuguese Camino can be very hot in mid-summer.

On 3 Aug last year it was forecast 49C near Tomar.

I walked from Lisbon in October and it was over 30C for a few days, just before Storm Leslie hit the coast at Figueira da Foz on 13 October and caused huge damage across the countryside.

Rather stay with the Camino Francés, where you want to go anyway, and plan to walk in the mornings only. You’ll then beat the heat and be able to get a bottom bunk as one of the first to check in.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Like Jill I walked the CP from Lisbon in October, although I didn't came across her, and found it quite gruelling in the south with the heat and some of the long sections that were over 30km such as Santarem to Golega 35km which was quite tiring in the heat. Endless walking on cobblestones, highways and bitumen was also quite tiring but there were few pelegrinos, I saw none for the first week so it was wonderfully contemplative and I had the albergues to myself.
The storm damage was substantial around Coimbra although it had gone through the day before me. Lots of trees blown down and houses with roof damage.

I suspect that the CF may be cooler at that time of the year as its much quite a bit further north north.

I walked the Portuguese in Late Aug/Sept last year and it was hot. So hot (110 feels like) that I had to bail out a couple of days. As previously said, a lot of it is on highways with little shade. It was nice to have no rain but the heat can be dangerous.

During the time you have available, advance reservations are essential as the Camino Frances is very busy during the summer months (June - August). I have used www.booking.com and booked several days out at a time. This has worked for many.

Make your initial reservations before you travel from home to Spain, so you have a place to stay for your arrival night or two. Also, make advance reservations for the first couple of walking days.

Once you are on the ground, and maybe after the first day walking, assess the situation and make another 3 - 4 days reservations. Repeat as necessary until Santiago.

Also, have a hard reservation for Santiago. This time of year (summer) is especially busy and some weekends find the city sold out of reasonably priced lodgings. Arriving on Sunday night or Monday night is usually the best plan. It is what I try to do.

As regards the heat, anywhere in Spain or Portugal can be very hot during the summer. Nearer the coast, humidity is higher, depending on ocean winds. You seem to be doing all the right things to counter and prevent heatstroke.

The single best thing you can do, beyond what you are already doing, is to get out each morning at first light, not sunrise. First light is the point at which you can see the yellow arrows and your footing before you put a foot down.

Generally, this is about 30 - 45 minutes before actual sunrise. I use the eltiempo.es+ app to tell me exactly when official sunrise is for the location I am in. Then I back up my start walking and wake up times accordingly.

When walking during any time of the year that I know will be hot, for me, I plan to get up about one-hour before posted sunrise, and to get walking ASAP.

The only way to beat the heat of midday is to avoid it. Get as much distance in before noon. The hottest time of the day is usually from noon until about 6:00 pm.

I suggest that you want to plan to be done walking by noon or soon thereafter. You may have to wait for an albergue to open, but sitting under an umbrella with a cold drink is preferable to struggling with heat exhaustion.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I could use some input here!

I walked the Francés in the fall of 2014. It’s been in my thoughts every darn day since I returned home.

I’m unable to take another leave of absence from work which leaves me only July and August - the 2 busiest and the 2 hottest months of the year in terms of walking.

Knowing that I only had July and August to work with, I turned my attention to the Portugués Way as it isn’t as busy durning the summer months. I believe that it will still be pretty warm - maybe not quite as hot as the Francés???View attachment 50498

Truth be told, it is the Francés that is still in my heart and I want to walk it again. What troubles me about the Francés is this: I’m a larger woman therefore, I would have to make a reservation for each night as I would not be able to do the top bunk (I’m too heavy, and I pee 3 times a night.) I was able to avoid the top bunk in September 2014, but I was always anxious about it. My second concern is the heat: I am a cautious person when it comes to overheating. I dink water with electrolytes, wear sunscreen and keep an eye out for my tolerance level. But, I just don’t know HOW HOT it really is and whether or not there is any escape from it (at times if needed).

Thank you for your thoughts - they are greatly appreciated!
I walked with my son in July and August, who also really doesn't like the heat. I would say, especially if the Frances is still tugging at your heart, stick with the Frances. I don't know about how much cooler the Portugues would be and you are likely to find more private albergues and other accommodations that you can book on the Frances. Also, I've heard that May and September are getting as busy as July/August or more so on the Frances so, except after Sarria, booking accommodations isn't hard. All that said, a couple of other pieces of advice, based on our July/Aug experience:
  • Start as early as you can each morning, not to be part of a "bed race" (you'll likely be booking ahead to avoid the top bunk), but to avoid walking in the hottest part of the day. We tended to start at about 5:30 am for that purpose.
  • Consider buying one of those umbrellas that can attach to your backpack and provide shade, especially one of the reflective ones. We didn't do this and I think it would have made a real difference.
  • Depending on when you start in July and how much of the Frances you will be walking, remember that Pamplona might be in the middle of one of Spain's biggest fiestas. We took shorter days and didn't stop in Pamplona itself, but rather Trinidad de Arre before Pamplona and Zariquiegui after Pamplona (shorter days at the beginning also being handy because we hadn't trained).

During the time you have available, advance reservations are essential as the Camino Frances is very busy during the summer months (June - August). I have used www.booking.com and booked several days out at a time. This has worked for many.

Make your initial reservations before you travel from home to Spain, so you have a place to stay for your arrival night or two. Also, make advance reservations for the first couple of walking days.

Once you are on the ground, and maybe after the first day walking, assess the situation and make another 3 - 4 days reservations. Repeat as necessary until Santiago.

Also, have a hard reservation for Santiago. This time of year (summer) is especially busy and some weekends find the city sold out of reasonably priced lodgings. Arriving on Sunday night or Monday night is usually the best plan. It is what I try to do.

As regards the heat, anywhere in Spain or Portugal can be very hot during the summer. Nearer the coast, humidity is higher, depending on ocean winds. You seem to be doing all the right things to counter and prevent heatstroke.

The single best thing you can do, beyond what you are already doing, is to get out each morning at first light, not sunrise. First light is the point at which you can see the yellow arrows and your footing before you put a foot down.

Generally, this is about 30 - 45 minutes before actual sunrise. I use the eltiempo.es+ app to tell me exactly when official sunrise is for the location I am in. Then I back up my start walking and wake up times accordingly.

When walking during any time of the year that I know will be hot, for me, I plan to get up about one-hour before posted sunrise, and to get walking ASAP.

The only way to beat the heat of midday is to avoid it. Get as much distance in before noon. The hottest time of the day is usually from noon until about 6:00 pm.

I suggest that you want to plan to be done walking by noon or soon thereafter. You may have to wait for an albergue to open, but sitting under an umbrella with a cold drink is preferable to struggling with heat exhaustion.

Hope this helps.
This is so helpful. I think I had a close call with heat exhaustion today training at home in 76 degree F. I will definitely be an early starter in Spain. That app looks great. Thanks!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back