• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Franglés

deni

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamploma to Castrojeriz -March 2013
Castrojeriz to Leon - May 3013
Leon to Sarria - October 2013
Sarria to Finisterra - April 2014
St Jean to Finisterra - (July 2016)
Hi all,

I’m planning to walk the Camino Frances as far as Sarria next month and then intend to take public transport to A Coruña in order to follow the Camino Inglés. I’m curious to know if this is likely to cause any Compostela difficulties in Santiago as the last 100km will be partly by train or bus?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It will disqualify you from getting a Compostela. It does not matter how munch you have walked before the last 100 km, all that matters is the last 100 km.

As long as you walk the last 100km to Santiago (no matter on which Camino) and can proof it with two stamps per day it isn't a problem, if you don't walk all of the last 100km you will not get a Compostela, see also http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you take the bus to Ferrol on the Camino Inglés instead of to A Coruña, you will get the Compostela, Deni. That's a 118 km walk. Any chance of doing that instead of just ("just") to A Coruña?

If you take the bus to Ferrol on the Camino Inglés instead of to A Coruña, you will get the Compostela, Deni. That's a 118 km walk. Any chance of doing that instead of just ("just") to A Coruña?
You are eligible for a Compostela if you continue your "Frangles" from Ferrol vs A Coruna, I believe>

Hahaha! You and I are on the same wavelength...and at the same time too, Philly! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where's their sense of generosity? :( A Coruña is a lot easier to get to than Ferrol as transport connections seem much more frequent. I haven't been able to find a bus connection to Ferrol and there only seems to be one train a day.

Where's their sense of generosity? :( A Coruña is a lot easier to get to than Ferrol as transport connections seem much more frequent. I haven't been able to find a bus connection to Ferrol and there only seems to be one train a day.
I'm not sure how serious you are with this comment. As you read the forum more widely, you will realize just how important the consistent and even handed application of the 100km rule is to many of us, and the oprobrium leveled at those who might be seen circumventing it by using buses, etc during that important qualifying distance.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You may have to work a route from Sarria to Santiago, which may go via Lugo, and make a connection to Ferrol, then as others have said already the walk to Santiago will qualify for a Compostela. If the journey leaves you short of time take the bus to Naron, rather than right into Ferrol, and walk from there. It just does qualify so long as you get a sello from Neda/Naron.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have absolutely no problem with a minimum distance but covering multiples of it by combining two historical routes and having that ignored seems a bit severe. Seven hundred km on foot is hardly circumventing the rules.

There is a bus weekdays every hour on the hour from A Coruna to Ferrol. (Arriva bus line.)

The Compostela is for a pilgrimage on foot for the last 100km of any of five routes to the tomb of the Apostol. Nothing more, nothing less. :) The Cathedral sets the criteria and the Pilgrim Office enforces them.

I have absolutely no problem with a minimum distance but covering multiples of it by combining two historical routes and having that ignored seems a bit severe. Seven hundred km on foot is hardly circumventing the rules.
I'm sorry, but it clearly is if you don't meet the minimum distance and do the last 100km on foot. Walking from A Coruña does not meet the minimum requirement.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
frequent. I haven't been able to find a bus connection to Ferrol and there only seems to be one train a day.

The direct train is daily except Sundays. From Mondays to Fridays, there's another option changing trains in Betanzos.

By bus, you can take a bus from Sarria to Lugo with www.monbus.es and another one from Lugo to Ferrol with www.arriva.gal The daily direct bus from Lugo to Ferrol departs at 16:00

By bus, you can take a bus from Sarria to Lugo with www.monbus.es and another one from Lugo to Ferrol with www.arriva.gal The daily direct bus from Lugo to Ferrol departs at 16:00

Thanks, I've been looking at these for the past few days. I came across references to Arriva "Lines 8" Lugo - Ferrol online but there don't seem to be any details on their website. Do you know if the route still exists?

A Coruña – Ferrol

de la ruta A Coruña – Ferrol Directo por AP-9

de A Coruña a
horarios salida
Ferrol lunes a viernes laborables 8:30 10:30 11:30 hasta 21:30 cada hora sabados laborables 10:30 11:30 12:30 15:30 16:30 19:30 20.30 Domingos y festivos 11:30 12:30 15:30 16:30 19:30 20:30 21:30
y para la vuelta FERROL- A CORUNA salidas por autopista :

de A Coruña a
horarios salida
lunes a viernes laborables 06:30 07:30 8:30 09:00 9:30 10:30 11:00 11:30 12:30 13:00 13:30 14:30 15:00 15:30 16:30 17:00 17:30 18:30 19:00 19:30 sabados laborables 08:30 10:30 13:30 14:30 15:30 17:30 19:30 Domingos y festivos 10:30 13:30 15:30 17:30 18:30 19:30 20.30

Info 981 311 213 y 607 311 213

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks all for the info. There's a bit more thinking to be done.

Go for it, Deni!! And thanks so much for the suggestion!
~ btw, can one get the Certificate of Distance without getting the Compostela?
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I came across references to Arriva "Lines 8" Lugo - Ferrol online but there don't seem to be any details on their website. Do you know if the route still exists?

As I told you above and as you can see by yourself on the horarios área of the Avira link I provided above, there's a daily direct bus from Lugo to Ferrol at 16:00 and there are other options to make the route changing buses along it (almost always in A Coruña).

The train is not that big a deal if your only intention is qualifying for a Compostela.

I have no preference of whether I travel by train or bus. It’s more about finding the most user friendly travel options that fit and then making a decision. I eventually found the Lugo Ferrol route on the Arriva website; not the easiest to use as you need to search from the exact stop to find the route you’re looking for. Getting a Compostela isn't the sole intention of the trip, but if it can done then all the better.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As long as you walk the last 100km to Santiago (no matter on which Camino) and can proof it with two stamps per day it isn't a problem

@SYates , hi and thanks for your post. Unlike @dougfitz , I have read the text of the link you have provided.

The text is clear that "a" last 100 km must be walked and your advice seems solid on that point.

In a later section the text provides for a break during a last 100 km. The pilgrim is required to return to the point where the break was taken and get another stamp there before re-starting, thus showing continuity of the pilgrimage.

To show willingness to maintain this continuity I wonder if @deni would need a stamp the day he leaves Sarria and a stamp that same day on arrival (by whatever means) at Corunna?

My purpose in picking up this rather obtuse point is to help @deni in his conversation with the volunteer at the pilgrims office.

In a later section the text provides for a break during a last 100 km. The pilgrim is required to return to the point where the break was taken and get another stamp there before re-starting, thus showing continuity of the pilgrimage.

To show willingness to maintain this continuity I wonder if @deni would need a stamp the day he leaves Sarria and a stamp that same day on arrival (by whatever means) at Corunna?

My purpose in picking up this rather obtuse point is to help @deni in his conversation with the volunteer at the pilgrims office.

You overlook the continuity is walking. To get a stamp in Sarria and another one in A Coruña the same day, it will show he didn't walk it so no continuity. BTW, if you read Spanish, take a look at the Spanish version of the link provided by @SYates because it provides some nuances that may help to understand better the info provided on the English version.

... ~ btw, can one get the Certificate of Distance without getting the Compostela?
Buen Camino!

No, @JohnnieWalker (who has been a volunteer in the pilgrims office) clarified that - the certificate of distance is an additional document provided, on request, for those that qualify for a Compostela (or the "sportive" Compostela for those that state that they did the Camino only for sportive reasons).

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been following this thread with interest as I'm also considering this Camino Franglés :) as a possibility. Just curious, would it be possible to get a certificate of distance if one walked from SJPP to Sarria and then from Ferrol to Santiago?

would it be possible to get a certificate of distance if one walked from SJPP to Sarria and then from Ferrol to Santiago?

Yes but it could/may/might include just the distance from Ferrol to Santiago de Compostela.

We walked from Ribadeo via the coast route (Ruta do Mar) to Ferrol and then to Santiago. This does not easily fit in with the 'recognised' routes and we opted to be recorded for statistics as walking from Ferrol. Our credenciales have sellos of the whole route. I think that if giving Ribadeo as a start point the paperwork would have made t look as though we had walked the Norte. We simply opted for the option giving least work :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back