• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino French first two night & baggage weight

Chihan

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I’m planning to set off my French way on 8th of Nov. But I’m not sure if the weather is fine?
Hello,
I will arrive Paris on 8th of Nov and plan to arrive SJPP the same day. Probably it will be 7pm when I arrive SJPP. I found out there are lots of hostel on the Main Street. Can I stay there for two nights without credential? I saw Cite Buen Camino having very good reviews and trying to ask price rate per night. But no answer so far. Does it cost 10-15 euro/night ?
I plan to get credential on 9th (Saturday) of morning and send my luggage to Santiago.
Set off my journey on 10th of Nov.
I’m 55Kg and my package weights around 6.5 KG plus 1kg water=7.5 kg. Is it too heavy for me ? But I already did my best to pack still over 6kg .....

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not sure about the options of staying at a Gite/Albergue for 2 nights. I don't use them.
But I think the general rule is only 1 night.
You plan to stay in St Jean all the 9th? Why?
Why not start walking?
You will feel the urge. No one really 'stays' in St Jean.
You arrive, get your credential and start walking.
Express Bouricott near the Pilgrim office can arrange sending your luggage to Santiago.
If you are fit, your pack weight should be OK.
But do you really need all that stuff?

I believe Express Bourricot is or will be closed for the season. Do check ahead... Here is there website:

If they are open when you need them, they remain the single easiest and most reliable way to ship anything ahead to Santiago to be stored securely at Albergue / Hostal Lasalle until your arrival. When I go this way I usually send one rolling carry-on piece of luggage with my 'tourist' clothes and other stuff I will neither need nor want until I finish at Santiago.

As regards staying at SJPdP before starting, I prefer booking a hotel, so I KNOW the room will be waiting for me. IMHO there is nothing worse than going from albergue door to door, in the cold and dark, possibly with rain or snow, seeking a place to stay for the night.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe Express Bourricot is or will be closed for the season. Do check ahead... Here is there website:

If they are open when you need them, they remain the single easiest and most reliable way to ship anything ahead to Santiago to be stored securely at Albergue / Hostal Lasalle until your arrival. When I go this way I usually send one rolling carry-on piece of luggage with my 'tourist' clothes and other stuff I will neither need nor want until I finish at Santiago.

As regards staying at SJPdP before starting, I prefer booking a hotel, so I KNOW the room will be waiting for me. IMHO there is nothing worse than going from albergue door to door, in the cold and dark, possibly with rain or snow, seeking a place to stay for the night.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much

I think most of the Gites in SJPdP will let you stay two nights. (I never had a problem in the rest of France on Le Puy route).

The only one I know of where you can stay only one night is the Refuge Municipal - unless you walked there. (and which you can't book ahead anyway).

7.5Kg pack sounds good!

Davey

Hello,
I will arrive Paris on 8th of Nov and plan to arrive SJPP the same day. Probably it will be 7pm when I arrive SJPP. I found out there are lots of hostel on the Main Street. Can I stay there for two nights without credential? I saw Cite Buen Camino having very good reviews and trying to ask price rate per night. But no answer so far. Does it cost 10-15 euro/night ?
I plan to get credential on 9th (Saturday) of morning and send my luggage to Santiago.
I’m 55Kg and my package weights around 6.5 KG plus 1kg water=7.5 kg. Is it too heavy for me ? But I already did my best to pack still over 6kg .....
Hello. Now only 3 hostel are open at SJPP. And Express Bourricot is closed too because for us is winter. You have to go on the pilgrims office 39 rue de la citadelle and the volunteers will help you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most private gites will allow you to stay two nights.

7.5 kg including water is a good weight.
There was a recent thread about sending a bag from SJPDP to Santiago after November 1st, and it was mentioned that Jacotrans offers this service year round.

You are aware that the Napoleon route will be closed beginning November 1st, so you will have to take the Valcarlos route?

I think most of the Gites in SJPdP will let you stay two nights. (I never had a problem in the rest of France on Le Puy route).

The only one I know of where you can stay only one night is the Refuge Municipal - unless you walked there. (and which you can't book ahead anyway).

7.5Kg pack sounds good!

Davey
Thank you very much for all the reply. The reason why I would like to stay two nights is because I will fly from Taiwan to Paris. I think i need some time to adjust jet lag.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you very much for all the reply. The reason why I would like to stay two nights is because I will fly from Taiwan to Paris. I think i need some time to adjust jet lag.
My dear, you do not have to explain why you want to stay two or three nights in SJPP, from the moment you board the plane you have started your Camino, rest, enjoy and take care of yourself, Ultreia!!! Buen Camino

I wish I would have stayed one day extra in SJPdP before walking. I really feel I missed out on seeing the town. That is my one and only thing I would change from my Camino.
Enjoy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good idea staying an extra day in Saint Jean. I arrived there once around 7 pm and started early the next day and walked all the way to Roncesvalles on the Napoleon route. I was able to do it, but felt very tired and jet lagged after the long flight and bus rides the day before. Not enjoyable. I would not do it again that way.

It is common for pilgrims walking into St.Jean (from Le Puy/Vezeley/Paris) to stop for an extra night. I am really glad I did, there is a lot to see, St. Jean is a pretty place. I recommend a picnic and a bottle wine in the Citadel at sunset.

There are also some great restaurants there. Sample some great French meals before you spend a month eating menu de perigrino!

Davey

Or spend your free day in Bayonne!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,
Got mine down to 5kg radical cutbacks 1 fleece 😊 buen camino

I spent two nights in SJPP and was happy I did. Some 16 years prior i traveled with my future wife to SJPP knowing (actually remembering) nothing about the Camino and SJPP's significance. I remember asking my then girlfriend , "why are there so many hikers here?" On that trip I had purchased a small ceramic bowl with painting of peasant woman. It's a beautiful bowl and has always been one my favorite souvenirs. Yet, after searching for the artist for years online, I was still in the dark. That is, until I came back to SJPP and back to the store i purchased the bowl from. That was fun! Exploring the hills of SJPP is fun while anticipating the start of the Camino. Why, one can even walk to Orrison and back to SJPP to build a bit of confidence. I stayed in a small B and B along the river and it was a delight, as was meeting and getting to know the owner. I remember what he told me as i walked out that door to begin my camino, "today you are young again." And surely I was and am. Rush nothing before, during or after your Camino.

Hello friends:
Thanks for many helpful advise so far.
May I ask If there is daily backpack transportation from albergues to Albergues during Nov to Dec?
Should I book it before last night ? And put the stuff nearby the counter in the morning ?
any one know price rate on average ?

Coz I got Disc problem, Doctor suggest to use this transportation service

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back