• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino From Amsterdam

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not by myself - I only walked the Portugues caminho several times but..
living in the south western part of the Netherlands in the beginning of the month of July , last year while enjoying a cool beer on a terrace in the “town “ of Goedereede I met a young lady , wearing a backpack and showing a shell of Saint James and she told me that she started 5 days ago nearby Amsterdam . She should stay the night somewhere in the village where I live and the coming days she should walk through the province of Zeeland and from there through Belgium to Paris. There she should take the train to Bordeaux from where she should walk on to SJPdP and on to Santiago where she expected to arrive somewhere in September.

But if you are Dutch, read this very interesting book,
it describes the camino in the opposite direction from Santiago to Amsterdam .

the distance from Amsterdam to Santiago will be about 2630 km
i found out that from Amsterdam to Renesse in Zeeland by walking is about 130 kms.
in Renesse in front of the church is a sign to Santiago what says 2500 kms .
Hope this helps

E2548F16-1D36-4109-9C22-92EFB7D5C1E0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I didn't walk from Amsterdam, but from the west of Germany via Luxembourg and Lothringen/Lorraine, so I can't really help with the route.

Via Paris is probably the shortest way from Amsterdam? I think there is a pilgrim's path to Visé (Belgium) that then connects to the GR5 towards Luxembourg for a more southern variant, too, but I guess it will be longer.

But what I can say is that walking such a long distance from home is a wonderful experience :)

I didn't walk from Amsterdam, but from the west of Germany via Luxembourg and Lothringen/Lorraine, so I can't really help with the route.

Via Paris is probably the shortest way from Amsterdam? I think there is a pilgrim's path to Visé (Belgium) that then connects to the GR5 towards Luxembourg for a more southern variant, too, but I guess it will be longer.

But what I can say is that walking such a long distance from home is a wonderful experience :)
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Albertinho
I also remembered that there is a Dutch St James organisation , https://www.santiago.nl/lopen-naar-santiago/looproutes-naar-santiago/

I do not know if you speak Dutch but in a glimpse I saw on their website moreless the same path I described from the young lady here above. Amsterdam-Zeeland -Gent Belgium - to Paris and so on .

Regulairy I am in contact with the chairman of the organisation . At this moment he is volunteering at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago but he definitively can help you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's someone's experience Via Vézeley (association link above in @mspath's post):

From Reims (about halfway) you can shoot over to Paris:
http://www.randonneurs-pelerins.com...on=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=534

Then there's choice - via Orleans or Chartres? Either eventually get you to Tours, which continues (the Orleans arm is the official Voie de Tours) to eventually end up in SJPP:

For crossing at Rocroi into France
see/read more here

Happy planning.
Many routes lead to Santiago

I think the shortest way from the western part of the Netherlands is Amsterdam-Leiden -the Hague -Rotterdam -Hellevoetsluis -Ouddorp-Renesse -Middelburg- Breskens ( by ferry from Vlissingen) to Gent is to Lille in France where it connects to Paris . Partly it follows the coastline on the island I live ( Goeree Overflakkee) and the former islands in Zeeland and you will pass the world famous Delta works , the engineered protection against the sea.

Attachments

• 4A97F92B-1A14-4459-A4B5-56973601584B.jpeg
    4A97F92B-1A14-4459-A4B5-56973601584B.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 6
I think the shortest way from the western part of the Netherlands is Amsterdam-Leiden -the Hague -Rotterdam -Hellevoetsluis -Ouddorp-Renesse -Middelburg- Breskens ( by ferry from Vlissingen) to Gent is to Lille in France where it connects to Paris .

All roads lead to Santiago of course, but the shortest way would be Amsterdam - Utrecht and onwards on the Via Monastica.

Then walk on to Rocroi, continue on the Via Campanensies to Vezelay, and continue from there. I think there is more pilgrim infrastructure and accomodation on this route, as compared to walking via Paris.

I actually have all the guides book (in Dutch, French and German - not sure whether there are Engllish guide books) lying in front of me, as I am planning to walk all of this in the near future.

As has been mentioned earlier, the best starting point to see all the options is the site of the Dutch Confraternity, in particular this page.

Although it is in Dutch it will give you an idea. And it gives GPS tracks, suggestions for accomodation etc.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
there are Engllish guide books) lying in front of me, as I am planning to walk all of this in the near future.
If you are ever inclined to live post here when you do this, there'd be a small but very interested group who'd very much appreciate it, Marc.

(Where did you get your guides, BTW?)

All roads lead to Santiago of course, but the shortest way would be Amsterdam - Utrecht and onwards on the Via Monastica.

Then walk on to Rocroi, continue on the Via Campanensies to Vezelay, and continue from there. I think there is more pilgrim infrastructure and accomodation on this route, as compared to walking via Paris.

I actually have all the guides book (in Dutch, French and German - not sure whether there are Engllish guide books) lying in front of me, as I am planning to walk all of this in the near future.

As has been mentioned earlier, the best starting point to see all the options is the site of the Dutch Confraternity, in particular this page.

Although it is in Dutch it will give you an idea. And it gives GPS tracks, suggestions for accomodation etc.
I take it directly from you.
I haven’t any experience on the trail from Amsterdam to Santiago but refer on the story of the lady I met as described and the fact that there is a sign from Renesse (2500 kms)
But to the OP. There is a lot to choose and it confirms that this forum is very valuable for all pilgrims due to the high level of experiences and knowledge

I am not intending to walk this long distance anymore myself 😊

Happy Eastern🐣🐣🐣🐥🐥🐥

If you are ever inclined to live post here when you do this, there'd be a small but very interested group who'd very much appreciate it, Marc.

(Where did you get your guides, BTW?)

Here is my list of guidebooks:
Amsterdam-Postel: Jakobswegen in Nederland, bought at the bookshop (if ever you are looking for something Dutch, I can recommend www.dezwerver.nl)
Postel - Rocroi: ordered it from the Belgian Association
Rocroi-Vezelay: German Guidebook in 'Der weg ist das Ziel' series (Conrad Stein Verlag)
Vezelay - SJPP : Dutch guide ordered at the Dutch Confraternity (but there are more guideboooks for this section)

Live posting. This is actually one of the things I have been pondering about whether to do or not.
Pro: I like writing. And it could be a nice way too stay 'connected' while walking.
Con: For the last years I have been living and walking without a smartphone & I spent a lot of time on the internet in my daily life anyway.

So, still undecided ;)

Thanks @VNwalking . I've indeed walked from Amsterdam along the LAW 7, part 1 to Den Bosch, also called the Pelgrimspad. Part 2 continues then on to Visé to join up with the Via Monástica which she walked. It is well marked with the GR red and white signs although the Dutch guidebook came in handy leaving Amsterdam as it goes through the Vondelpark and Amsterdamse Bos where the instructions were at times confusing.

It is organized that you can use public transportation to and back to your starting point. As I walked it on Sundays and 2 weekends this worked out well. I would drive my car to the start then take public transportation back to my car. That worked out well but I stopped in Den Bosch as in the end I was spending more time getting there and back then actually walking. This was in 2014. Maybe someday I'll pick it up again but then for a long weekend walking consecutive days.

Joe and I tried it once, many years ago, but we stopped because we didn't speak the language and had problems booking beds. I have a guidebook -

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Regarding accommodations, there is no such things as cheap lodging here but there is an organization called Vrienden op de Fiets (friends on bike) although it's also for walkers. You pay a nominal fee to join, it was €8 a few years ago and you received a book with all the possible accommodations and location with map. You sleep in someone's home. It's €21 in including breakfast. It's hit or miss I guess but the two times I used it, I found it fine. And the breakfast was large, not just a piece of bread and jam.

It was a great way to see the country but...take your own thermos of coffee or tea cause I was disappointed to find many cafes closed on a Sunday.

Has anyone walked the Camino from Amsterdam to SJ? If so, what route did you take and what was the distance?
Yes indeed August 2016 until December 4th, 128 days. approx 2850km. more or less :)
You can read my blog on the walk on Polarsteps. Search on the website, Cees Biezeno
Enjoy and have a great Caminon

It's hit or miss I guess but the two times I used it, I found it fine. And the breakfast was large, not just a piece of bread and jam
The three families who hosted us on the Via Monasica were so generous. The accomodation ranged from fabulous to quirky. But always offerred full-heartedly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anyone walked the Camino from Amsterdam to SJ? If so, what route did you take and what was the distance?
Route::

I"m starting in Sint Jacobiparochie, Netherlands on June 10th. and walking through Nijmegan and then down through to Maastricht on one of the Dutch Caminos. At Maastricht this Camino meets the connection to the French GR 5. The connection runs through Belgium and Luxemburg. In France the GR 5 goes from Luxemburg to Menton (Nice) on the Mediterranean . En-Route when you reach Geneva you leave the GR5 and join the GR 65, the Chemin de St. Jacques de Compostelle. It goes through Le Puy and ends up at Saint Jean Pied de Port where you join the Spanish Camino!!

How many kms? A lot!! How long will it take? Months!!

It's a pilgrimage and an adventure!! I'll probably end up in Rome, rather than Santiago, as I've already walked the GR 65 through Le Puy.

Bon Voyage!!

Rough calculation: The most natural way is from Amsterdam through Belgium to Paris, then the Route of Tours, and finally the Camino Francés. By car it’s about 2100 km, on foot it will be a bit more because you cannot always take the shortest way between towns. With an average of 25 km per day it would take about 100 days. So reckon about 3-4 months.

Plenty of people have done it, both from the Netherlands and from Belgium, on foot but also on bike of course. I even know a few of them personally. Or from their TV series. ☺️

Route::

I"m starting in Sint Jacobiparochie, Netherlands on June 10th. and walking through Nijmegan and then down through to Maastricht on one of the Dutch Caminos. At Maastricht this Camino meets the connection to the French GR 5. The connection runs through Belgium and Luxemburg. In France the GR 5 goes from Luxemburg to Menton (Nice) on the Mediterranean . En-Route when you reach Geneva you leave the GR5 and join the GR 65, the Chemin de St. Jacques de Compostelle. It goes through Le Puy and ends up at Saint Jean Pied de Port where you join the Spanish Camino!!

How many kms? A lot!! How long will it take? Months!!

It's a pilgrimage and an adventure!! I'll probably end up in Rome, rather than Santiago, as I've already walked the GR 65 through Le Puy.

Bon Voyage!!
A well know Dutch guy ( world known expert on special transport -lifted a Russian submarine, sunken in the sea and former chairman of a famous Dutch soccerteam ) Frans van Seumeren , walked from home in Utrecht NL to Athens in Greece and walking from there to Rome and ended up in Santiago.Took him about 2 years.

starting in Sint Jacobiparochie in the north of the Netherlands ( province of Friesland) you follow partly the Sint Jacobsweg and then turn to the Pieterpad that leads from the utmost northern situated village of Pieterburen in the province of Groningen and leads among others along the outskirts of the town of Nijmegen to the Sint Pieters berg ( mountain 😊) in the province of Limburg nearby Maastricht As is the highest point in the Netherlands - about 300 meters high . The Netherlands are as flat as a pancake.
There it connects to the Belgian and French network leading to among others Santiago de Compostela

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back