• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino from Faro along border with spain

fraguil

Hello

We are from Belgium and we are planning our first camino.
However we would like to do the camino in Portugal and take the route
coming from Faro to the north via Castelo de Vide, so not via Lisbon

I find it hard to find information about this route.
Does anyone knows were I can find info or has anyone experience about this route ?

thanks in advance and regards
guy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Fraguil,

I may be wrong, but I don't even think that the "main" Faro-Lisbon caminho has been marked, so I'd be very surprised if you will find arrows from Faro eastward and north to the border with Spain.

I was in Santiago do Cacem at the Santiago church (this is a town south of Lisbon but on the caminho from Faro through Lisbon) and the people there could give me no information about the trail or the Caminho generally.

I have also had trouble finding an active Caminho group in Portugal, and I think it was the Gallego Association of Friends of the Camino that marked the route from Lisbon with yellow arrows (and they are plentiful!). You might try contacting them -- here's their website.
http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/web/cami ... mino&cod=2

I didn't even know there was an alternative that went through Castelo de Vide (a very pretty town by the way) -- can you point me to more information on that route? How did you find out about it and where does it go?

Thanks, Laurie

Hey Laurie

According to some maps I have found on the web there is a camino going from Faro to Evora to Alpalhao ( near Castelo de vide) tonfurther north to Lamejo orense and Compostela.
http://www.csj.org.uk/map.htm on this site there is a map similar maps I caqn find but no detailed info.
As I am living not so far from Castelo de Vide (across the border in Valencia de Alcantara we have a holiday house) )we want to start from there beginning of next year.
In the mean time this autum we would like to do the part coming from Faro.

If I could find some more detailed info about the route I will set the way with topo maps myself.
In the mean time if someone is coming our way be my guest you will find us via our site ( http://www.latinaja.be)

regards
guy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
fraguil said:
probably because there isn't one :)

If you can read German, Conrad Stein http://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/progd ... 3866862302 is publishing a guide to a route through E Portugal in the autumn but I don't know the exact line. There is no official marking or anything. The map on the credencial is of historical routes, not modern ones. I will point this out to the CSJ (who should know it anyway :) ).

PS If you don't read German, the extract from the publisher's blurb "an erfahrene und flexible Pilger bzw. Wanderer mit einiger körperlicher Fitness, denen selbständiges Wandern abseits markierter Wege auch in anspruchsvollem Terrain möglich ist" means "intended for experienced and flexible pilgrims/walkers, physically fit and capable of independent walking in challenging terrain away from marked paths". You have been warned.

Thanks for the info Peter

I will purchase this book as soon as it is available, no problem for me to read German.

I think it will be a challenge to do this route , but anyway I will try.
I will go to libraries in Portugal and try to find info about the old route.

Anyway I will post here when I find more detailed info in whatever language.

regards
guy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thanks for the info

As I am living not far from Alcantara in Spain I will take contact with the new Asociación de la Vía da Estrela as mentionned in the newspaper article
I am sure they can help me and I will see if I can help them with setting up this route

regards

guy

fraguil said:
Hello

We are from Belgium and we are planning our first camino.
However we would like to do the camino in Portugal and take the route
coming from Faro to the north via Castelo de Vide, so not via Lisbon

Does anyone knows were I can find info or has anyone experience about this route ?

thanks in advance and regards
guy

A pilgrim who I know was planing to walk from Faro last year, but I don't know if by the spanish border or not. Then there was no arrows from there to Lisbon.

The information can be asked to Alex from Lisbon, who was studying the Camino from Lisbon to Porto between 2,005 and 2,006. Then the Galician association, with Alex, was painting arrows in this route.

As far as I know, there's no arrows until Lisbon. And there's associations in at least Lisbon, Porto and Ponte de Lima. If you are interested I can ask again if new arrows are painted from Faro to Lisbon, but I don't thing so.

Buen Camino, with or without arrows,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

After now a couple of week search on internet in in libraries I think I must come to the conclusion that beside of a rough map there is no information about the route going strait north from Lisbon via evora and Castelo de Vide.

I will use what is available and draw my own route with topographique maps and eventually GPS I think this will be the only solution.I will do a try out in a couple of months when the heat is gone.

The only possibility is look for some info in libraries in Portugal which I will do as soon as I am back in Spain in a week or two.

As soon as i retrieve some more info I will post it here anyway

regards
guy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
fraguil said:
After now a couple of week search on internet in in libraries I think I must come to the conclusion that beside of a rough map there is no information about the route going strait north from Lisbon via evora and Castelo de Vide.

I will use what is available and draw my own route with topographique maps and eventually GPS I think this will be the only solution.I will do a try out in a couple of months when the heat is gone.

The only possibility is look for some info in libraries in Portugal which I will do as soon as I am back in Spain in a week or two.

As soon as i retrieve some more info I will post it here anyway

regards
guy

Hi guy, I too am searching for info on the inland route and came across your post... I am interested to know if you have found any more info!!! I plan to cycle around portugal from Faro firstly by way of the coast and return inland so the inland route i would do from north to south.... i havent found any info other than a map indicating the route.... http://www.elcaminoasantiago.com/mapas/ ... 00x924.jpg

my trip is planned for Sept/Oct so if i do find more info i will post it here, thanks and good luck!
ps. i live in spain (alicante) but am english...

my daughter got married in igreja matriz de sao clemente in loule just north west of Faro and there were 2 scallop shells carved on the alter which would make you think it was on the prilgrim path.

Hi!
I was wondering if anyone has any new information about the 'trail' from Faro along the Spanish border? I sent off emails to a couple of the Portuguese associations and am waiting to hear back from them. Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ines, have you tried to contact Via Lusitana?

Best Regards
Diogo

Thanks for the reply Diogo. I am waiting to hear back from Via Lusitana and Associação dos Amigos do Caminho Português de Santiago.
Thanks again,
Ines

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Steven.
I heard back from the Associação Amigos do Caminho do Este de Portugal (ACEP) and received a couple of documents that are helpful. I would be happy to share them with the group but don't seem to be able to upload them. They are a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet. Suggestions?
Ines

Hi Steven.
I heard back from the Associação Amigos do Caminho do Este de Portugal (ACEP) and received a couple of documents that are helpful. I would be happy to share them with the group but don't seem to be able to upload them. They are a Word document and an Excel spreadsheet. Suggestions?
Ines
Hi Ines, thanks for that. I'm afraid I'd go for the upload a file button too !

I will try to contact one of the staff members and see if the information can be posted on the Camino Resources page. Stay tuned...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have posted the information I had under the Camino Resources tab - Camino PDF. I hope this helpful.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back