Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Camino from France

Tom Cartwright

Year of past OR future Camino
Have completed through Agosta
If France opens for US pilgrims on June 8 or 9, even if Spain is not open, will there be enough albergues open on the Francis to allow for walking? I would start in St Jean. I am hoping Spain opens by 15 June, but if not may try to begin in France mid-June. Thanks and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
As Metropolitan France is still in lockdown, I think we need responses by members who own or operate gîtes or chambre d'hôtes in France. Perhaps @mspath can help?

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
The situation in France is ever changing.
Here is the list of quarantained countries.

Here is the US embassy in Paris latest release

Updated 20/05/21

Last edited:

Barbara

Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Most hotels are already open. Gîtes d'étape and campsites (many have caravans or cabins to rent) also. Pilgrim type accommodation in France is fairly limited at all times, but most local associations will update their websites as they decide to open. Until June 9 you can only eat outside unless you are actually staying in a hotel with restaurant. It's surprising how many terraces are gaining some impressive awnings for the grand re-opening on Wednesday.

Tom Cartwright

Have completed through Agosta
Thanks - I should clarify...I was asking about the albergues in Spain when I arrive. Are they now open? Sorry for not being clear. Thanks

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Barbara

Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Thanks - I should clarify...I was asking about the albergues in Spain when I arrive. Are they now open? Sorry for not being clear. Thanks
Ah. Sorry I misunderstood. There is quite a lot of information already on the forum, but check the date of any posts you find in your search, as the situation is rather fluid. As in, if you start in France, by the time you get to Spain, things may have changed. I think in your case I would start deep enough into France to get a decent walk before the border, just in case, as it were.

Le Puy route 2014; Le Puy route continuation 2016; Le Puy route 2017; Le Puy route 2019 [incl. Célé]
Many if not all GdEs [gîtes d’étape], CHs [chambre-d’hôtes] OR combos there-of, as well as the small family-run hôtels along the length of the GR65 Via Podiensis have re-opened [indeed some never closed] ... and are welcoming pilgrims / hikers / walkers ... in fact, some villages are over-full because of the restrictions still in place on numbers in individual rooms ... and there’s been a mighty scramble for beds between Le Puy and Conques this week in particular ...

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads