• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Guimaraes to Braga and Caminode from Porto to Braga

Maria Man

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Astorga-Santiago;2016 Le Puy-Najera ; 2017 Najera -Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia & Lisbon-Fatima
Dear Camino experts,

I am interested to explore the the camino in Portugal from Guimaraes to Braga which leads to Santiago, and also the camino and from in Porto to Braga. Has anyone have walked eitherof of these routes ? I would like to know where to sleep on either ways and how it is, any information is highly appreciated, thanks for !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, In 2017, I hiked on Camino Torrès and I stopped in Hostel Sao Mamede (33€) Avenida de S. Gonçalo, nº1 In Guimaraes, but there is also HI Hostel Guimarães - Pousada de Juventude
Complexo Multifuncional de Couros, Largo do Cidade, 8 T. (+351) 253 512 050 / 925 665 087
E. guimaraes@movijovem.pt
When i was in Braga I stayed in Casa SantaZita (25 €), Rua Sao Jao do Souto 20, Telefone: 253 618 331
E-mail: braga@osz.pt
In Braga there's also :
- Albergue de Peregrinos
Rua de S. João nº 3 (ao lado da Sé de Braga = near the Cathedral of Braga)
Tel: 253 215 165 joemca@joemca.com www.joemca.com

- Pousada de Juventude de Braga
Rua de Santa Margarida, 6
Tel: 253 263 279 braga@movijovem.pt

For more informations : http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/
From Porto to Braga see : http://www.caminador.es/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, In 2017, I hiked on Camino Torrès and I stopped in Hostel Sao Mamede (33€) Avenida de S. Gonçalo, nº1 In Guimaraes, but there is also HI Hostel Guimarães - Pousada de Juventude
Complexo Multifuncional de Couros, Largo do Cidade, 8 T. (+351) 253 512 050 / 925 665 087
E. guimaraes@movijovem.pt
When i was in Braga I stayed in Casa SantaZita (25 €), Rua Sao Jao do Souto 20, Telefone: 253 618 331
E-mail: braga@osz.pt
In Braga there's also :
- Albergue de Peregrinos
Rua de S. João nº 3 (ao lado da Sé de Braga = near the Cathedral of Braga)
Tel: 253 215 165 joemca@joemca.com www.joemca.com

- Pousada de Juventude de Braga
Rua de Santa Margarida, 6
Tel: 253 263 279 braga@movijovem.pt

For more informations : http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/
From Porto to Braga see : http://www.caminador.es/
I have watched your Camino Torres videos on YouTube which I enjoyed a lot. I am planning to walk this route in May.

Regards

To gns !
If you need the list of my accommodations or my gps tracks (sometimes, there's no arrow !), contact me

You can walk from Porto on the Central route via Vilarhino , Rates and Barcello. From Barcello it is 20 km to Braga. At Braga you can stay at Albergue Peregrino. Ask for directions at the Information Centre.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did Porto to Braga and also Ponte de Lima to Braga in 2018. Walking in the right direction is not too bad, but you shouldn't intend to find the way walking in the opposite direction. There are no markers towards Porto on this part of the trail. If for you want to walk towards Porto / Fatima take the classic central route which is marked or the coastal way, which is more or less self explaining and has some markers as well.

Leaving Porto is not too easy. There are arrows from the cathedral , but I am not sure if one can find the detour towards Braga without a map (That was the only helpful thing I got from the tourism office there. Friendly people, but expect not much info for this particular way.) After Praca da Republica I could rely on the arrows.
If you want to skip the inner city area, take the Metro to IPO and continue to the north. You will see the arrrows very soon.
You will not find any real albergue on the way to Braga, but there is a similar kind of accomodation in Antas (Seminario Comboiano). You may also ask the Bombeiros for a place to stay or take your chances in a few pensions/hotels usually not so nearby. The train line to Braga is close by car, but often not close enough if you are walking. Buses were rare on a Sunday, but should run on weekdays. There is probably a good connection into Maia and maybe also to the airport area of Porto. The closed place to sleep I noticed was "A Cepa" en Santo Tirso, about 150m off the way.
Hotels can be expensive in Famalicao, which is at least 1km detour from Antas. The only hostel is about 2km away.

The distances between the accomondations could be better. I would not recommend thirty something km (Antas) on your first day if you are just starting. Pilgrims coming from Fatima/Lisbon can manage that, but it's still long. The next day to Braga is again not very short.

The albergue in Braga charged 5€ per night and encourages the pilgrims to stay not only one. The kitchen is made to cook for groups, not really for individuals. Wifi is available near the reception. Plenty of bunk beds.

The next place to stay is the albergue of Goaes. An old school building, 5 or 6 normal beds, shower and a full kitchen. No wifi. The big supermarket is 1km after the village, the restaurant on your way in provides you the key and sells some food as well.

Ponte de Lima, 37km from Braga offers any kind of lodging and food.

It's a rather solitary way, with a lot of termac walking, but it felt safe to walk there. Not too much traffic and many sidewalks avoid to get hit by a car. In Braga I met pilgrims coming from Porto and Guimaraes. So don't expect to be alone in there ;).

For GPS Tracks I recommend the OSM maps presented by https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org. If you see it here it is also in most GPS Apps for your phone. You can download the tracks without any registration and can have a look on the profile here.

thank you all for your input !

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back