Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Lugo

andrey

Hallo everyone.
I understand that after Lugo (or rather San Romao de Retorta) one can go either to Palais del Rei or to Melide. Which way is nicer?
Is there ANYWHERE one can stay in San Romao de Retorta (or nearby)? I don't want to belive that walking from Lugo to Palais del Rey in one go is the only option!?!

Thanks,
Andrey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Primitivo

Hello Audrey,
The Primitive Way passes through Lugo to Melide.
Stage 4 is from Lugo PONTE FERREIRA (26 Km)
Stage 5 is from PONTE FERREIRA to MELIDE (22 Km)
You will find maps and mileages on the website:

http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/

Click on Caminos and then on Primitivo and then on Mapa.

and another nice website is:

http://www.galiciadigital.com/pcd/Camin ... :1&lang=en
which indicates that there is an albergue at San Romao da Retorta

Thanks, Sil, for those web links. I suppose it's not surprising that the two sites differ in their computation of km, only off by 4, though.

According to Galiciadigital:
Lugo to San Roman de Retorta -- 19
Retorta to Melide -- 25
Total Lugo to Melide 44

According to the webiste of the amigos de Galicia
Lugo to PonteFerreira -- 26
PonteFerreira to Melide -- 22
Total Lugo to Melide 48

I also thought that the comment made on the Galiciadigital website was interesting, in light of the original question about going to Palas del Rei:

Throughout history, the Primitive Way always go straight on from Lugo to Melide, crossing O Careón along Hospital das Seixas, Santiago de Vilouriz, Vilamor and Compostela. The diversion from Augas Santas to Palas de Rei is a modern invention without any historical rigour.

And one more little point -- Galiciadigital website indicates that the albergue in Sao Romao da Retorta is still under construction (nor does the other site list an albergue there), so there might not be anywhere to sleep in that town, suggesting that the etapa from Lugo to Ponte Ferreira might be a better bet (at least there appears to be "turismo rural" in that town).

It'd be great to get a report from someone who's walked this route!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Norte

Hi Audrey,
Perhaps a search through the pilgrim's diaries posted on the
http://www.caminolinks.co.uk website will be of value.

Click on the Camino Norte link on the left.

Or, you could contact Eiler Prytz at eiler@pilegrim.info who walked the Primitivo route last year.

Good luck!

Sil

Thanks everyone.
Is there an albergue in PONTE FERREIRA then? According to google, there isnt. Seems like a bit of a gap between Lugo and Melide, with nowhere to stay overnight?.
Thanks,
Andrey

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ask Jose Antonio, the hospitalero in Lugo, the best option. There's the option to Mellide, the other one to Palas de Rei and the third one to Friol and Sobrado los Monxes.

The AGACS was marking with yellow arrows the way last spring from El Acebo.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Several weeks ago, on the Camino del Norte, we met some people in the albergue in Sobrado dos Monxes (which is the last albergue on the Norte, before it connects with the Frances) who had been on the Primitivo. They had decided to "cross over" from the Primitivo to the Norte from Lugo so as to avoid having to hook up with the Frances for a little longer. As others have mentioned, the Primitivo joins the Frances in Melide, or Palas del Rei if you take the "inauthentic" route. The Norte joins the Frances one day's walk west of there, at Arzua.

These pilgrims told us that the way from Lugo to Sobrado was not marked, that they had to use road maps to figure it out, and that it was all on asphalt (though generally secondary roads). Let us know how it goes for you Andrey. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did the Camino Primitivo this april. When I got into Lugo, the hospitalier recommend taking the 33 km option to Palas.

The pilgrims I know from Lugo all made it to Palas while I ended up in Melide after the over 45 km walk (Not recommended). It was not my intention to walk all the way to Melide but if you follow the sign you will end up there instead. Detour to Palas the as soon as you can.

Palas is the only option right now since there are no albergue in between Lugo and Melide at this moment, and not in San Romao de Retorta either. Only farm houses in this area, so finding alternate lodging is also a challenge.

[url=http://camino.wificat.com]http://camino.wificat.com[/url]

peregrina2000 said:
These pilgrims told us that the way from Lugo to Sobrado was not marked

this is part of the Interior variant of the Norte, developed by the Amigos in Lugo http://www.lugocamino.com/ (they're also working on a route between O Cebreiro and Lugo). Various press reports (e.g. http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/ed_lugo/no ... TO=5874507 ) state that the route is now marked, but that may just refer to the first bit Ribadeo-Lugo.

peregrina2000 said:
that they had to use road maps to figure it out, and that it was all on asphalt (though generally secondary roads).

well, yes, most roads are asphalt these days. You would need to use more detailed maps to find an off-road route. Or alternatively try and get a detailed route description from the Amigos.

I know El Camino Primitivo passes through Lugo. But I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a Camino that passes through el pueblo de/the village of Fonteita (O Corgo), Galicia? My grandfather died since my last camino and I'd like to stop at his grave on my walk about but have no idea how to get there. I know by road I'd have to take the A6 (that's as much info as I could find on google)...but I don't even know what the cemetery looks like. It is El Cementerio Parroquial de Fonteita O Corgo (de la Iglesia Parroquial de Santiago de Fonteita-O Corgo). Here is the link I found about the village
http://www.todopueblos.com/fonteita-lugo/mapas/
Any information is deeply appreciated.
Eva

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! I did the Primitivo last year, starting in Villaviciosa and went from Lugo to Melide via San Ramon de Retorta and As Seixas. I enjoyed this route so much, I am doing the bit from Lugo again this year as a short camino before doing a two week stint as volunteer in Santiago on the Amigo project (which greats peregrinos as they arrive).

There is a very small but lovely algergue in San Ramon de Retorta about 800km after a bar. This is the closest place to buy food. They sell sandwiches but also have a small shop. The owner is VERY peregrino friendly. As this is the high season, I´m bringing tent just in case the albergue fills up. It only has 12 places. This is about 18 km from Lugo. There is a hotal called Cruz la Viega (tel 982 17 65 65 or 638 96 28 07) about 9km away that will pick up and drop off peregrinos if you call them. The is also a Casa Rural on route after San Ramon, but I don´t seem to have a phone number that works for it. There is a new albergue in As Seixas. This is lovely and I´ll be staying there again. This is larger and so there should hopefully be room there. This is another place that doesn´t have its own food. A food van show up but only if there are enough peregrinos to make it worth their while. So, buy food in the bar in San Ramon for As Seixas too. Staying here makes it a short day (only 13km). The hospitaleros sell beer and there is also a vending machine for snacks. This gives you a nice short day into Melide so you can get a good place in the albergue.

I hope this helps. I will be doing a live from the Camino Primitivo post, so check this out for updates.

Hola Nicole,
There is a new private albergue 'O Candido' (637 563 755) almost next door to the public one in San Roman. Meals can be booked too. Also the phone number for the Casa Rural at Casa de Ponti is +34 982 18 30 77 - we were able to book in OK this year. Again food is available if booked. Then we turned down to Palas de Rei to shorten the distance rather than carry food to As Seixas or walk through to Melide.
Buen Camino

HI Andrey,

If you read my ´live from the Primitivo´ strand, you will see that I stayed at O Candido in San Ramon de Retorta and also had breakfast at the Casa do Ponte. I had intended to go to As Seixas, but missed an arrow and ended up taking an unplanned, but easy to follow route, to Palas de Rei. From the Casa do Ponte to As Seixas, it would have been about 6km. Then it would be 15km to Melide. This is a lovely route and goes up and over a hill with windmills (and nice views). It is a bit difficult to estimate how much longer our unintentional route to Palas was, but it must have been at least 10 or 11km from Casa do Ponte to Palas. It was on a quiet road and was quite pretty and had less uphill than the As Seixas route, but I think the views from the As Seixas route are better. Mind you, in Palas you do have access to banks, restaurants, etc. Once in Palas, we only had 13km to get to Melide. As I had been to As Seixas before, I was quite happy to do something different. However, if I had a choice between the two routes, I would choose As Seixas hands down. You can buy lightweight food at the San Ramon bar.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back