• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Oviedo or Gijon?

Ebs The Aussie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino virgin, considering a last minute decision to do the Primitivo route in September
Hi folks, just looking for some advice...

I landed in Europe about a month ago and after hearing about the Camino am considering giving it a go from Oviedo or Giron next month... Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the differences in the routes? From Giron seems to more of coastal route (which I'd love) and also. Little less demanding re equipment etc (I haven't come prepared so I'll need to buy everything I need).

Has anyone got any advise - pros or cons for the routes?

Thank in advance!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi folks, just looking for some advice...

I landed in Europe about a month ago and after hearing about the Camino am considering giving it a go from Oviedo or Giron next month... Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the differences in the routes? From Giron seems to more of coastal route (which I'd love) and also. Little less demanding re equipment etc (I haven't come prepared so I'll need to buy everything I need).

Has anyone got any advise - pros or cons for the routes?

Thank in advance!

So you are wondering about the Primitivo or the rest od the Norte? Either way you will need the same equipment: good walking shoes, 3 pairs or wool or synthetic runnig socks with wicking powers, a pair of light shoes, ideally all plastic like Crocs for shower, walking around town and the albergue. Something ti sleep in, a liner at this time of the year should be enough but to be sure a light sleeping bacl would be better. A 30-40l. well fitted backpack, somehing to carry water in: regular plastic bottles from the shop or a bladder for your pack. A hat of somesort and sunscreen. 2 undies, 2 bras, two pants, quick dry is a must, 2 tshirts, fast drying, one long sleeve for the super hot days and a light fleece for colder evenings. Something to sleep in, could be th T you will wear the next day with a pair of boxer shorts. Somethting to protect you from thr rain- opinions varry. As few hygene products as you can. Every ounce matters.

Regarding where to walk, after Gijon you will not get much ocean, but it will be flatter. I have not walked that bit but it's loved by many. I have walked thr Primitivo and it's what I love, but it is more difficult dur to elevation, ups and downs non stop. You cannot go wrong.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I saw lots of ocean after Avilés (after Gijon) and managed quite a few dips at beaches--- when one crosses into Galicia at Ribadeo, the Camino turns SW and inland. While seafood is readily available, sidra natural is not. I quite like the Primitivo, but Anemone is correct about the relative difficulty. They are both excellent, although perhaps the Primitivo has better scenery. The equipment will be the same-- as little as you can manage, as you are carrying it.

Hola Ebs the Aussie
Really both are beautiful. If you re like a lot of us on the forum, you'll be back to walk the other route., and then another! There are many possible ways to Santiago de Compostela

If the choice is down to these 2 routes, head to Gijon and decide. You could either start walking the Norte straight away, or walk to Oviedo or bus up to Oviedo if time is tight.
I just loved both routes, but I've loved all I've walked and know there are still more choices to make in the future.

Happy planning and buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back