• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Paris to Santiago

Amori

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking from Siena (Italy) to Santiago
Hey guys, I a pilgrim from South Africa and I have walked a few caminos in Spain and Italy with my partner but now we want to walk from Paris. I want to plan our camino but I can’t find a list of the stages. Can anyone help me? I want to know which towns and cities we have to walk through to get to St Jeanne. From St Jeanne it is easy as we have walked the French way a few times.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Amori,
Lucky you! For more on Paris and pilgrims see this earlier post.
Check out this earlier thread re possible routes.

When you do get to France in the tourist offices ask about the Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

As an American living in France for 40 years I have often hiked and always found the guidebooks published by Éditions Lepère to be well done . Here is their current catalogue.

Good luck and Bon chemin.

Last edited:
The better route from out of the city is to head South West towards Jouy-en-Josas, and from there in the direction of Rambouillet and thereabouts.

Both the Chartres and Orleans variants pass that way.

From there, I'd honestly recommend going via Chartres, as that particular stage is just glorious.

And more recently, I have been suggesting DIY from Chartres to Orleans, so as not to miss the similarly beautiful stage by the side of the Loire river.

After that, things have become fairly straightforward. You could potentially try and avoid Bordeaux by veering East to the Vezelay, but then again Bordeaux is a pleasant city.

The only big question really is Chartres or Orleans or both. Bearing in mind that "both" means DIY and potentially some sleeping out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey guys, I a pilgrim from South Africa and I have walked a few caminos in Spain and Italy with my partner but now we want to walk from Paris. I want to plan our camino but I can’t find a list of the stages. Can anyone help me? I want to know which towns and cities we have to walk through to get to St Jeanne. From St Jeanne it is easy as we have walked the French way a few times.
Post in thread 'Voie de Tours' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/voie-de-tours.75535/post-1041819

The better route from out of the city is to head South West towards Jouy-en-Josas, and from there in the direction of Rambouillet and thereabouts.

Both the Chartres and Orleans variants pass that way.

From there, I'd honestly recommend going via Chartres, as that particular stage is just glorious.

And more recently, I have been suggesting DIY from Chartres to Orleans, so as not to miss the similarly beautiful stage by the side of the Loire river.

After that, things have become fairly straightforward. You could potentially try and avoid Bordeaux by veering East to the Vezelay, but then again Bordeaux is a pleasant city.

The only big question really is Chartres or Orleans or both. Bearing in mind that "both" means DIY and potentially some sleeping out.
Hey, so I found this map online, for my visa application I have to make bookings and an itinerary so I have to know exactly where I am going and where I will be at certain times. I am finding it very difficult to get out of Paris as it is a massive city. I don't want to walk 40 km on my first day to Melun. Is the map correct:

Hey, so I found this map online, for my visa application I have to make bookings and an itinerary so I have to know exactly where I am going and where I will be at certain times. I am finding it very difficult to get out of Paris as it is a massive city. I don't want to walk 40 km on my first day to Melun. Is the map correct:

That's a resource for cyclists. As to accommodation, hopefully someone with more recent experience can help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From a Belgian site check out this page and aim for Massy the first day. Massy is 18 km. from Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. This Belgian site offers invaluable info re walking/stopping from Paris south. Do explore the other links on that site.

THIS is most useful for walking to Massy.

Also here is a thread from a pilgrim who walked from Paris earlier this year.

Last edited:
Amori,
Lucky you! For more on Paris and pilgrims see this earlier post.
Check out this earlier thread re possible routes.

When you do get to France in the tourist offices ask about the Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

As an American living in France for 40 years I have often hiked and always found the guidebooks published by Éditions Lepère to be well done . Here is their current catalogue.

Good luck and Bon chemin.
Lucky you! The Camino goes right in front of Chartes cathedral!!!!

I I walked from Paris to Santiago in 2018. My guide book was in French but I made an English version using google translate. I can send you the word document in an email if you send me your address.

Attachments

• D1C70C21-391E-4FB0-8D61-CC998C0575D0.png
    D1C70C21-391E-4FB0-8D61-CC998C0575D0.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I I walked from Paris to Santiago in 2018. My guide book was in French but I made an English version using google translate. I can send you the word document in an email if you send me your address.

Attachments

• Paris Translation to St Jean PdP by Helen.zip
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
I sent you a personal message with my email address, it would help me so much if you could send this to me. Thank you!

This is amazing, thank you so much. This is wonderful! You are a godsend!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do you have a blog or a post about your pilgrimage? I would love to learn more about it.

No sorry I don’t. Just walked for 70 days with 2 rest days to visit Villandry gardens and Blois, Tours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, Mont St Michel is a major stop allong the route and we are not too far away. We have accommodation if you are interested.

After cycling Seville to Zamora in May/June 2023 I am searching for my next adventure. So thank you for all the wonderful information shared in this thread - I'm hoping to cycle EV3 to/from St Jean Pied de Port - Paris - can anyone give a view the pros/cons of either directions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back