• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Porto

peter.bt

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All

I am planning for my first Camino, hopefully will be able to do so in September 2022.

Not to be overly ambitious, I decided on the Portuguese route, starting from Porto. I planned for a mixture between the coastal and central route. Would appreciate your views on the stages that I have planned:

Day 1 - Porto to Matosinhos
Day 2 - Matosinhos to Vila do Conde
Day 3 - Vila do Conde to Esposende
Day 4 - Esposende to Viana do Castelo
Day 5 - Viana do Castelo to Caminha
Day 6 - Caminha to Tui
Day 7 - Tui - Porrino
Day 8 - Porrino - Redondela
Day 9 - Redondela to Pontevedra
Day 10 - Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Day 11 - Caldas de Reis to Padron
Day 12 - Padron to Santiago de Compostela

From what I have read, most changed to the Central route at Vila do Conde. I am planning to do so in Caminha, as I would love to stay at the coastline more. The reason why not to keep at the entire Coastal route is I want to cross that bridge at the border of Portugal and Spain. I do wander, though, if Caminha to Tui is on the official CP route.

Day 1 is of course a very short route, but I just want to take it a bit easy on the first day. Going all the way to Vila do Conde seems a bit daunting on a first day.

Appreciate any views or ideas from you experts out there. Thanking in advance.
Regards, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Peter,
Your itinerary makes sense and is absolutely doable if you're an experienced and fit hiker. Caminha to Tui features a scenic path along the Minho River up to Valença, where you can cross the bridge to Tui. As for it being "official," that doesn't matter because the Pilgrims Office will issue you a Compostela for stamps you've received after you begin the last 100 km at Tui or Porriño.
You could also, of course, take the ferry across at Caminha and continue up the Coastal to Vigo before heading inland to pick up the Central at Redondela.
I agree that trying to reach Vila do Conde on the first day is a tad ambitious. I do have one question: is it essential for you to complete the journey in 12 days? The reason I ask is you might need more flexibility in case you encounter bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances. In 2018, my wife and I got stuck two extra days in Pontevedra because she came down with food poisoning.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From Porto to Matosinhos is just a slog through a cityscape - even if you stick to the riverside. Catch the Metro to Matosinhos market hall instead, cross the river by the footbridge and head towards the beach.
There is (was) a tourism office there where you can pick up a stamp and away you go!
Use the day saved as a rest day - as @biarritzdon says, Pontevedra is a good place for a halt.

Boa Caminho!

From Porto to Matosinhos is just a slog through a cityscape - even if you stick to the riverside. Catch the Metro to Matosinhos market hall instead, cross the river by the footbridge and head towards the beach.
There is (was) a tourism office there where you can pick up a stamp and away you go!
Use the day saved as a rest day - as @biarritzdon says, Pontevedra is a good place for a halt.

Boa Caminho!
I liked the riverside walk, and I liked starting my walk at the Cathedral in Porto rather than in Matosinhos. To each his own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The official coastal route goes over Tui. It is the only official route in Portugal.

But taking the the coastal route in Spain over Baiona and Vigo is just as valid, as it is the official coastal route in Spain.

The route over Matosinhos is not the official coastal route, but the Senda Litoral. I think most people walk that route out of Porto. But I think all of them have their own charm.

Feel free to mix the routes as you wish. They are all very nice and very different.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The way between Caminha and Valencia is very beautiful, walking on the hillside next to the river with a great view of Spain on the other side. Have fun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am happy to start from Porto on the 19th, walk along the Douroand arrive in Matosinhos to enjoy a good swimm in the Piscina das Marés and a tea with pasteis athttps://fr.wikiarquitectura.com/b%C3%A2timent/masion-de-te-boa-nova/
House of tea Boa Nova , both work of famous arquitect Alvaro Siza !
I will take my time along the Coastal Camino

Boa Caminho!
Let me echo what Jeff said. We took the metro from downtown Porto up to Matosinhos and started there at the market. Because we arrived very late into Porto the night before, and since we wanted a stamp from the cathedral which didn’t open until 9 am, we got a late start. Had we been able to start walking earlier, like most mornings, we would have easily been into Vila do Conde early to mid afternoon. That would be my suggestion for your Day 1. Bom Caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All

Thanks for your wonderful and useful views. They are all for considerations when finalizing the stages to stop at.

I definitely need to walk the stretch from Porto to Matosinhos. From the videos I saw in Youtube, it is not to be missed. And I want that first stamp from the Cathedral.

@kenwilltravel , I hope by September 2022, I would not need to work no more. That will give me flexibility on time. Having said that, my trip to Portugal would have started a week before. I intent to spend about a week in Lisbon and Porto before starting the Camino. So, all in all, it will be about 3 weeks. Time may not be a factor, but cost does. Thanks for pointing out the unforeseen circumstances, though. I am prepared to extend if the need arises due to things we can't foresee.

Thanks again for all your views. I am quite comfortable with what I read, especially on the Caminha to Tui stretch. Now is to go more detail research, and hopefully will be able to do my first Camino next year.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not much I can add to so much excellent advice above, except the really cool thing….do not leave Porto without trying the Pasteis de Natas! The custard tarts, some places it is a joy just to watch them get made, and get one straight out of that super hot oven!
Porto is a city well worth exploring as well, we returned after getting to Santiago, 12 days to get there, 3 hour bus ride to return! Spent 3 glorious days enjoying that beautiful city.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hopped on a passing bus when I got a bit bored walking out of Porto, but then got off when I started to feel guilty! So funny, who cares? Do spend time in Porto. It really is a lovely, very accessible small city. My plug is a visit to the Palacio da Bolsa. It is stunning. And I loved the cafe where each evening couples dance the tango, outside on the sidewalk.

Hi All,
Just a note as I'm currently in A Guarda on day 4 of my camino. I crossed the Minho by private taxi boat this afternoon from Caminha to A Pasaxe. The ferry is moored to the dock and not operating due to COVID so if your plan is north through Baiona you'll need 10 euros to cross [if you're alone].
The launch is big enough for about 6 but I'm not sure that it's licensed to carry that many? I was told if there were 2 of us the price would be 5 euros each.
Another excuse to chat to your fellow pilgrims.
Buen Camino.
Peter

Hi All,
Just a note as I'm currently in A Guarda on day 4 of my camino. I crossed the Minho by private taxi boat this afternoon from Caminha to A Pasaxe.
If you have time in A Guarda, there are some interesting ancient Celtic excavations on top of Monte Santa Tecla, which overlooks the town. This includes some reconstructed huts, which reminds you how short people were in those days.

If you have time in A Guarda, there are some interesting ancient Celtic excavations on top of Monte Santa Tecla, which overlooks the town. This includes some reconstructed huts, which reminds you how short people were in those days.
Thank you Ken, kind of you to suggest the visit but my feet need a rest and as you know the seafood here is exceptional and will be getting my full attention this evening...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
MIne was the Justinus church in Frankfurt Höchst. Part of the Jakobsweg in Germany.

Hi All

I am planning for my first Camino, hopefully will be able to do so in September 2022.

Not to be overly ambitious, I decided on the Portuguese route, starting from Porto. I planned for a mixture between the coastal and central route. Would appreciate your views on the stages that I have planned:

Day 1 - Porto to Matosinhos
Day 2 - Matosinhos to Vila do Conde
Day 3 - Vila do Conde to Esposende
Day 4 - Esposende to Viana do Castelo
Day 6 - Caminha to Tui
Day 7 - Tui - Porrino

From what I have read, most changed to the Central route at Vila do Conde. I am planning to do so in Caminha, as I would love to stay at the coastline more. The reason why not to keep at the entire Coastal route is I want to cross that bridge at the border of Portugal and Spain. I do wander, though, if Caminha to Tui is on the official CP route.

Day 1 is of course a very short route, but I just want to take it a bit easy on the first day. Going all the way to Vila do Conde seems a bit daunting on a first day.

Appreciate any views or ideas from you experts out there. Thanking in advance.
Regards, Peter.
Camino Portugues Costal is my favorite of all my pilgrimages. Did it September 2019. I spent 4 days in Porto to be sure to get over jet lag and because I wanted to see the sites. So I had no problem with the idea of taking the metro to Matosinhos first thing one morning and starting from there.
Many towns along the way large enough that if I needed anything I could find a shop.
I will say many locals were surprised people were walking in September--they said the previous five Septembers had been hotter than normal, and indeed it was quite hot--the tourist guides with the average temperatures had not caught up with global warming. (Don't know what the weather's been like since then.)

In any case, bom caminho.

I am curious about crossing from the coastal to the central route. Are the ways marked? Between Caminha and Tui? Are there any other crossings? Thank you!
Hi Peter,
Your itinerary makes sense and is absolutely doable if you're an experienced and fit hiker. Caminha to Tui features a scenic path along the Minho River up to Valença, where you can cross the bridge to Tui. As for it being "official," that doesn't matter because the Pilgrims Office will issue you a Compostela for stamps you've received after you begin the last 100 km at Tui or Porriño.
You could also, of course, take the ferry across at Caminha and continue up the Coastal to Vigo before heading inland to pick up the Central at Redondela.
I agree that trying to reach Vila do Conde on the first day is a tad ambitious. I do have one question: is it essential for you to complete the journey in 12 days? The reason I ask is you might need more flexibility in case you encounter bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances. In 2018, my wife and I got stuck two extra days in Pontevedra because she came down with food poisoning.
Buen Camino!

I am curious about crossing from the coastal to the central route. Are the ways marked? Between Caminha and Tui? Are there any other crossings? Thank you!

yes, it is part of the official coastal route in Portugal. It is very well marked and albergues along the route as well

I crossed between Vila do Conde and Arcos, a day or two after Porto. The way was well marked. It gave me a taste of walking along the seashore as well as a chance to see Barcelos and Ponte de Lima and to stay at Casa da Fernanda.

Hi Petre and all,
thank you for posting the routing plan. i am starting my 1st Camino shortly (well, this Friday). and after reading for some posts, i have opted to the same directons like Petres.
however i will start from Porto on Sat.(28th Aug) ,and need to back to Porto on 4th Sep. due the early flight on 5th and also would like to have a short visit in Porto on 4th.therefore i only have 7 complete days to finish below routes.
so far i have found there is convinient train connections from Porto to Viana Do Castelos. so i might start from the Viana Do Castelo .
My questions is i might need to skip one stage (well.. at least one ,need to see how is my physical conditions),which town/cities might have easy connections to reach the next stage with public transportaion ? or is there other better starting points that i can finish my route within 7 stages ?(i still prefer to have 1-2days walking along the coast and then cut into the central route)
Day 6 - Caminha to Tui
Day 7 - Tui - Porrino

thank you very much in advance.
bom caminho

My questions is i might need to skip one stage (well.. at least one ,need to see how is my physical conditions),which town/cities might have easy connections to reach the next stage with public transportaion ? or is there other better starting points that i can finish my route within 7 stages ?(i still prefer to have 1-2days walking along the coast and then cut into the central route)
You could eliminate a day of walking by taking the train from Caminha to Valença, which is across the river from Tui. Then, walking from Tui would keep you within the 100 km rule to get your Compostela.

You could eliminate a day of walking by taking the train from Caminha to Valença, which is across the river from Tui. Then, walking from Tui would keep you within the 100 km rule to get your Compostela.
The walk from Caminha to Valença do Minho is great. In the middle between the two towns you could stay overnight in Vila Nova de Cerveiro.
the walk along the Minho river is gordeous.
Valença do Minho is a nice place with an interesting fortress - the caminho leads through the fortress and at the end is the reward, the famous Eiffel bridge over the river into Spain. Don’t miss it.

The official coastal route goes over Tui. It is the only official route in Portugal.

But taking the the coastal route in Spain over Baiona and Vigo is just as valid, as it is the official coastal route in Spain.

The route over Matosinhos is not the official coastal route, but the Senda Litoral. I think most people walk that route out of Porto. But I think all of them have their own charm.

Feel free to mix the routes as you wish. They are all very nice and very different.
Are you still able to get the Compostela if you take the Coastal Route to the Variante Espiritual?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you still able to get the Compostela if you take the Coastal Route to the Variante Espiritual?
yes as long as your starting point is as much as 100 kms from Santiago on the Central or Coastal route.
That means on the Central from O Porriño and on the Coastal from Vigo.
Don’t forget to collect 2 stamps per day during the last100 kms

So starting in Redondela or Pontevedra and than the Variante does not count for a Compostela
There was a big discussion on an other thread here yesterday about the Variante Espiritual about this matter. The Variante Espiritual is a beautiful walk and I definitively advise to walk it and enjoy the boatride but the Cathedral of Santiago aka the Pilgrims Office does not recognizes this detour officially
So always keep in mind that you have to start 100 kms at least from Santiago on the acknowledged routes , the Caminho Português Central (Porto Barcelos Valença and Caldas de Reis to Santiago) or the Coastal (not important to be called the Coastal, Senda Litoral or as the Portuguese say “pela Beira Mar” is is all the same the Coastal follows a path through the hill about 1km from the ocean and the Senda or Beira Mar follows almost the beaches but every time they come together in the villages or small towns along the coast) The official “ Coastal” leads from Porto to Redondela whereit meets the central caminho so Porto Vila do Conde , Viana do Castelo, Caminha ,A Guarda, Baiona and Vigo
Of course you can mix both route you can change at Vila do Conde and Caminha from the coast to the central route

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The walk from Caminha to Valença do Minho is great. In the middle between the two towns you could stay overnight in Vila Nova de Cerveiro.
the walk along the Minho river is gordeous.
Valença do Minho is a nice place with an interesting fortress - the caminho leads through the fortress and at the end is the reward, the famous Eiffel bridge over the river into Spain. Don’t miss it.
Albertinho, earlier in this thread Paintboy says "The way between Caminha and Valencia is very beautiful, walking on the hillside next to the river with a great view of Spain on the other side." Is this the same Minho riverside trail that you talk about? or is there a different "hillside" trail?

Albertinho, earlier in this thread Paintboy says "The way between Caminha and Valencia is very beautiful, walking on the hillside next to the river with a great view of Spain on the other side." Is this the same Minho riverside trail that you talk about? or is there a different "hillside" trail?
Yes just leaving Caminha in the direction of Vila Nova de Cerveira starts the so called Ecopista a foot/ bike path along the Minho river. You can follow it almost to Valença do Minho and follows the river. There is another waymarked path about half a mile more inland that goes through the hills. I prefered the Ecopista

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back