• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Sydney

mhanson

Hi All

I am looking at doing part of the camino from Leon to Santiago De Compestela in May next year. I have a few questions from an Australian point of view.

1. What is the best way to get to Leon from Sydney. Best to go via Madrid or Paris then flight or train to leon?
2. Any recomendations for good backpack brands avaliable in Australia and where is the best place in Sydney to buy gear.
3. I currently do not speak any Spanish but am hoping to pick some up by the time I go. How is it on the Camino for people travelling alone with little or poor spanish.
4. Any recomendations for good training walks around Sydney or the Blue Mountains?

Any help is much appreciated

Michael

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Michael,
The walk from Leon is great, hope you enjoy it.
Can't help much with travel but, found the staff at Trek & Travel Kent Street really good.
There are a number of Lightweight bags out there but it's important to try a whole bunch to get the fit right.
Re training, probably depends on where you live, we lived in the inner west and walked to most places we would normally car, train or bus (non work related travel). So if we wanted to go to the city, we just walked there & back, if we wanted coffee we'd walk to a nice suburb several Klms away, have a coffee and walk home.
Also found north head a good walk with some good hills, walk to the city, get a ferry, walk around north head, get ferry back to city, walk home.
Buen Camino.
Col

Hi Michael - won't give you any Sydny specific stuff as I am from Adelaide, but can comment on a couple of things.

Firstly - I would think it would be easier to get to Leon from Madrid. You would either have to fly from Paris or it would be a fairly complicated train or bus journey if you flew into Paris. I have begun each of my Caminos in france and so the simplest is Singapore to paris - but next year I am doing the VDLP and so will go direct to Madrid or Barcelona.

Packs - I have used and Aarn Natural Balance with great success on the last 2 caminos I did. It is light, and hugs the bag- moving with you as you move. It comes with 2 front pockets for you to distribute the load but because I had under 8 kgs I decided not to use them. The other brand I particularly like is the One Planet pack. The harness that goes with them is magnificent and they have a tremendous reputation for that. When I tackle my long project in a few years time it is my intention to purchase a One Planet "WBA" (whcih stands for - weighs b..... all!) Not quite true as it is one of the heavier packs, but it does have the benefit of its fantastic harness. Many of my friends have used the Osprey Pack and speak highly of them also.

In Sydney you should have access to stores like:- Scout Outdoor Centre, Paddy Pallin, Macpac, Mountain Design, Katmandhu, not to mention others like Ray's Outdoor & Anna Purna. I know Melbourne has a Backpacking Light store - perhpas the Sydneyites can let us know if there is one in Sydney. Both Melbourne and Sydney have most of the stores in the same street and so it easy to walk from one to the other while you check out the gear.

I don't really speak Spanish or French but have managed in both countries the three times I have walked. Of course the more language skills you have the better, but you should be fine on the Camino Frances. Cheers, janet

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Michael,
We walked the Frances last year with the help of Lonely Planet's Spanish phrasebook. This, and a sense of humour, was fine!
Jacki from Gladstone, Queensland.

Hi from NZ, re packs I am absolutely sold on Aarn now after Vaude and Deuter. Aarn is the most amazing intelligent and innovative design ever, I just bought the Liquid Agility 26 ltr, latest edition with the latest edition Sport small front pockets and it accommodates a minimalist Camino walker's gear perfectly, more or less what is in my packing list. It is super comfy, no pressure on shoulders and one walks upright, the weight is evenly distributed, like a vest. It is great. My pack list is attached and is ideal for summerish conditions. It got down to a light frost in the morning once or twice and the coolest day peaked at 8 degrees C. I had heavy rain for the odd day. Gitti
p.s.Backpackinglight in Australia have Aarn Packs. Go for the 2010 models, they are Rolls Royce.

Attachments

• Camino Packing List Recommendations (1).doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 147
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am very pleased with my Aarn pack. EBay has some at a low price right how, shipping out of England.

Hello all Sydney Pilgrims - past and future!

My partner and I are holding a free information night in Cronulla in September for anyone with questions they need answered or people with stories they want to share.

SEE: http://holaspanish.com.au/camino-info/

I walked the Camino Frances in April 2006 and the Camino Norte in 2008 and 2009 and my Spanish partner has walked and cycled the French and North ways.

We are often asked to help friends prepare, so we thought we would try to get everyone together and do it all at one time.

If you are interested, please send me a message on the HOLA SPANISH website and we willbe in contact with details!

ULTRYEA!!
Kellie

Hope your plans are going well, Michael.

We've just bought the Aarn Liquid Agility (26 l) and it's great. Waiting on the front balance pockets to arrive to fully test it, but I am really excited about this 'bodypack'. (Ditto Gitti and Janet)

Aarn packs available in Sydney at 2 places. . . .

Adventure Megastore
505 Kent St
Sydney
Tel: 02 8280 9000
Em: ollie@adventuremegastore.com.au

Camp Hike Climb
20 George St
Hornsby
Tel: 02 9476 5767
Em: info@camphikeclimb.com.au

Plus here's the email for Backpacking Light in Vic.
melbourne@backpackinglight.com.au

It certainly helps and adds to the enjoyment, to be able to speak some Spanish, however basic. For CF probably not necessary, but who wants to go and just speak English all the way? For the other routes, certainly the Camino de Madrid, some Spanish almost essential. I'm using RocketSpanish online, tho a class or tutor might ensure more regular learning.
Buen camino. Carole

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everybody!! If you can help me i would be really grateful!! I'm writing a master thesis and i need your help. My thesis topic is: Motivation of tourist on the St. James' Way

Soo if you have a little of time to fulfill my survey would be great!!!
/I need only people who are not spanish cause i have already a lot of...surveys fulfilled by spanish people/

Thanks a lot!

here is a link:
http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurv ... z91k883289

Hello Agata, Have just filled in your survey, couldn't work our what you needed for some.....Couple of points

!) We pilgrims (husband and I) don't regard ourselves as 'tourists'.... doesn't sit well. Sorry.

2) Are you referring to the Camino Frances?? The camino, to best of my knowledge, refers to all the various routes in Spain that lead to Santiago. You aren't alone in this belief, I just get cranky when people, especially on this Forum, talk about CF as if it's THE camino. I've done 4 caminos but not the CF. People need to know there are more routes to follow...... tho ...... maybe better for us they don't....??

3) Would be excellent if you could follow up with some results of your thesis, back here on the Forum, if you get much response.... or not.

... and good luck Agata. Hope you have done or are doing a camino.... it is the best thing I've ever done.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi fellow pilgrims/travellers
I've been reading & talking to people about the Camino for a few years & have decided to do a section in late May to mid June 2012. Am keen to do a section Conques - Figeac - Cahors or thereabouts. I can get by with my basic French & am quite fit. I live in Sydney & it would be great to meet up with some others who have done some of the S de C route or about to do a section.
A bientot,
Katerina

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back