• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino from Vienna to Santiago in 4000 km

celinehenriette

Time of past OR future Camino
The time has finally come to start my 6-month pilgrimage from Vienna to Santiago de Compostela. Day 1, or should I say night 1, included getting myself to the starting point on a bus from Amsterdam. After I arrived I immediately took the subway to the St. Stevens Church and got my first stamp. Then it was trying to locate the first sign, which wasn't that easy.

Then the walk began. Out of cities is, as most of you probably know, not that interesting. So I counted Mc Donalds. When I got to 9, I was at the first hostel. Today I start my second day and hopefully I will leave the builded by humans stuff behind me and enjoy the builded bij earth stuff. IMG_20180426_170654_824.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The time has finally come to start my 6-month pilgrimage from Vienna to Santiago de Compostela. Day 1, or should I say night 1, included getting myself to the starting point on a bus from Amsterdam. After I arrived I immediately took the subway to the St. Stevens Church and got my first stamp. Then it was trying to locate the first sign, which wasn't that easy.

Then the walk began. Out of cities is, as most of you probably know, not that interesting. So I counted Mc Donalds. When I got to 9, I was at the first hostel. Today I start my second day and hopefully I will leave the builded by humans stuff behind me and enjoy the builded bij earth stuff.

@celinehenriette , this is impressive. We are slow walkers, we're starting in Western Switzerland on 9 June, and ending 2200km later in Santiago. If we were doing the Frances, you would probably overtake us, but we're doing the Norte, following on from the via Gebennensis, via Podiensis and the Voie Nive-Bidassoa.
Buen Camino!

Then the walk began. Out of cities is, as most of you probably know, not that interesting. So I counted Mc Donalds. When I got to 9, I was at the first hostel. Today I start my second day and hopefully I will leave the builded by humans stuff behind me and enjoy the builded bij earth stuff. View attachment 41949

Are you blogging or documenting your days on Facebook? If yes I’d love to,follow you. I’m across the border in Slovakia, have interest in your walk and hope to walk the Camino in Slovenia next year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Then the walk began. Out of cities is, as most of you probably know, not that interesting. So I counted Mc Donalds. When I got to 9, I was at the first hostel. Today I start my second day and hopefully I will leave the builded by humans stuff behind me and enjoy the builded bij earth stuff. View attachment 41949
I wish you the best of health and will keep you in my awareness as you make your Camino to Santiago. Take care, and yes, do keep us up to date with your amazing journey. Buen Camino.

Wow.

There was a time when I'd have though the 800km of the CF was an impossible task, but 4000km???, without the benefit of all the infrastructure in Spain, that is truly impressive.

Wishing you a wonderful Camino,

Rob.

GO!:), GO!:), GO!:), celinehenriette, I'm sure you are going to make it just fine, :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow. I have met a few pilgrims over the years who were doing just that. Key challenging was pacing self. One woman made the mistake of trying to keep up with a group of very fit young men and she became very sick with electrolyte imbalance. Ended up visiting hospital and having to rest for a few days. It is a great lesson to tune into one's own needs...another guy I met early on the Le Puy route was trying to prove something and kept walking 45 km days, had to stop with infected blisters repeatedly and finally arrived within 5 mins of me in SJPP.

Wow all the responses have made my day. That and todays walk of course :p Thank you all so.mucj for the positivity!! Back home everybody just laughed at me and my plans :(
So far the trail is very easy to follow, following the yellow arrows just like you!
If you would like to follow my story in pictures, I'm on Instagram. Same name. And of course I will try and keep you updated, but obviously that depends on the WiFi!

Servus celinehenrietta! I'm an old Englishman in Innsbruck, where we have the St Jacob's Cathedral - Dom, in the old town, where you will get your stamp. If you are heading this way I would be pleased to host you for one or two nights - whatever you wish, as a fellow pilgrim guest, or if you would just like a meal. I am planning my next pilgrimage at the moment. I know Vienna well, by road/rail it is about 500 km from Innsbruck. You are very welcome in my humble abode if needs be, or if you require advice-assistance anywhere along your Austrian route. Let me know anytime, I will give you my phone number. Buen Camino, Love, Light & Nature, Keith
ps I live in the village of MĂĽhlau, which you will have to walk through on the route. Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Servus celinehenrietta! I'm an old Englishman in Innsbruck, where we have the St Jacob's Cathedral - Dom, in the old town, where you will get your stamp. If you are heading this way I would be pleased to host you for one or two nights - whatever you wish, as a fellow pilgrim guest, or if you would just like a meal. I am planning my next pilgrimage at the moment. I know Vienna well, by road/rail it is about 500 km from Innsbruck. You are very welcome in my humble abode if needs be, or if you require advice-assistance anywhere along your Austrian route. Let me know anytime, I will give you my phone number. Buen Camino, Love, Light & Nature, Keith
That would be great! You can PM me if you like :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
ps I live in the village of MĂĽhlau, which you will have to walk through on the route. Good luck and best wishes.
What a sweet and kind gesture. I wish I was heading in your direction...would love to meet you!

What a sweet and kind gesture. I wish I was heading in your direction...would love to meet you!
What a lovely message - thank you :) I've had some wonderful help and bleesings along my way, and like to pass them on or gift a few extra when I can - it makes up for my not-so-good-moments ;) Maybe our caminos will cross one day, nothing would surprise me. Love, Light & Nature to you, Chris. Keith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Time to give a little update :)
I'm 140 km into my pilgrimage and the days have been long, exhausting, but most of all beautifull. It has been difficult finding places to sleep and I'm not the person to sleep in the woods when it's not allowed. There are signs everywhere telling people not to disturb the animals.. the longest day so far has been the third day, had to walk 10 km extra to find a place to sleep making it a 36 km day. The lowest km I did was 27. I was planning on doing a lot less, thabkfully my feet are doing great. And today I will "only" walk 20 km to a town called Melk. Did I mention the hills yet? For a Dutch girl that has been the most chalenging, can't believe how steep some are. And I'm not even near the Alpes yet.
So it has been small hotels, a camping and a monastry. The last one was amazing. I spend the night at Stift Göttweil. The only thing about that one is that it was on top of a hill, after 25 km of walking in the heat without wind that was not something I looked foreward to. But I made it (barely). And I could go to church there which was nice, the choir was amazing.
Hopefully I can have a day off on friday, I feel like I have earned that. I'm affraid my feet will fall off if I don't..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm 140 km into my pilgrimage and the days have been long, exhausting, but most of all beautifull. It has been difficult finding places to sleep and I'm not the person to sleep in the woods when it's not allowed. There are signs everywhere telling people not to disturb the animals.. the longest day so far has been the third day, had to walk 10 km extra to find a place to sleep making it a 36 km day. The lowest km I did was 27. I was planning on doing a lot less, thabkfully my feet are doing great. And today I will "only" walk 20 km to a town called Melk. Did I mention the hills yet? For a Dutch girl that has been the most chalenging, can't believe how steep some are. And I'm not even near the Alpes yet.
So it has been small hotels, a camping and a monastry. The last one was amazing. I spend the night at Stift Göttweil. The only thing about that one is that it was on top of a hill, after 25 km of walking in the heat without wind that was not something I looked foreward to. But I made it (barely). And I could go to church there which was nice, the choir was amazing.
Hopefully I can have a day off on friday, I feel like I have earned that. I'm affraid my feet will fall off if I don't..
Thanks so much for your update, Celine. Good to know you are safe. By the way, you do have the international emergency number on your address list in your phone? Even though you are making the story for a book, much more so, the story for the rest of your life! Stay well.

Fantastic Celine! You're amazing :) The hills will be good trainning for the Alps and Spain. There's a Youth Hostel in Saltzburg, and more along the way. Here's a link (you may have to go off-route a little to get to some):
http://www.jugendherberge.at/
I should warn you that people I know who have walked in Switzerland had difficulty there too - Switzerland is expensive and you will be treated like a 'tourist' rather than a pilgrim. They have a reputation for doing their best to get as much money out of you as possible! I know there is a youth hostel in Zurich, and further along the way. This time of year you will be better to book in advance if you want to stay at one.
If you get stuck, and see a 'Widum' - a home for the priest and nuns etc - or 'Pfarrhof', knock on their door and show them your pilgrim pass.
Link for Die Schweitz - Switzerland:
https://www.youthhostel.ch/de/
You would be best to join the association - unless you already have, of course.
Keep going, you can do it. It's epic and awesome. Around the middle of May the 'Icemandel' - 'Icemen' hit the Alps. Its a blast of cold weather that comes around 10th-14th May. After so much sun and heat its a real shock to the system - and my garden if I don't take care ;) So be prepared and plan for a spell of chilly weather starting sometime in the next couple of weeks.
If you want to know more about me and where I live let me know, I'll send a PM. Good luck to you and don't sleep outdoors. Best wishes, Love Light & Nature, Keith Call anytime if you need help or advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fantastic Celine! You're amazing :) The hills will be good trainning for the Alps and Spain. There's a Youth Hostel in Saltzburg, and more along the way. Here's a link (you may have to go off-route a little to get to some):
http://www.jugendherberge.at/
I should warn you that people I know who have walked in Switzerland had difficulty there too - Switzerland is expensive and you will be treated like a 'tourist' rather than a pilgrim. They have a reputation for doing their best to get as much money out of you as possible! I know there is a youth hostel in Zurich, and further along the way. This time of year you will be better to book in advance if you want to stay at one.
If you get stuck, and see a 'Widum' - a home for the priest and nuns etc - or 'Pfarrhof', knock on their door and show them your pilgrim pass.
Link for Die Schweitz - Switzerland:
https://www.youthhostel.ch/de/
You would be best to join the association - unless you already have, of course.
Keep going, you can do it. It's epic and awesome. Around the middle of May the 'Icemandel' - 'Icemen' hit the Alps. Its a blast of cold weather that comes around 10th-14th May. After so much sun and heat its a real shock to the system - and my garden if I don't take care ;) So be prepared and plan for a spell of chilly weather starting sometime in the next couple of weeks.
If you want to know more about me and where I live let me know, I'll send a PM. Good luck to you and don't sleep outdoors. Best wishes, Love Light & Nature, Keith Call anytime if you need help or advice.
Thanks so much. I'm actually staying in a youth hostel right now! I seem to have the room to myself. For the next few day I'm going to plan my stays, just so that I don't have to worry about it anymore. That just makes it more about the walk. Today was the best day so far. Only 24 km and not too much sun and the way was amazingly beautiful. I took so many pictures!

Last edited:
I remember groaning about the ups and downs too! It is much tougher than I anticipated. Walked in 2008.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With 239.5 km done I think it's time for another update :) I made it to Wallsee today. The trail does not really go in straight line, so it goes up and down in the country, taking me to see the most amazing views and allowing meet all the nicest people. The last two days were a bit shorter than the first few. I walked about 24 km yesterday and today 25 km. And my body approves! I feel stronger everyday and I still don't have blisters on my feet. So far so good. Getting a place to sleep get a bit easier and also more expensive, but my hopes are that once I enter France life will get better. And this is the reason I spent a year not spending money on anything right?
Being alone so much is..well...interesting. my head sometimes plays games with me, trying to scare me out of the adventure. I don't think that will happen anytime soon, this journey is something I dreamed about even when I was a child. And the people here in Austria are very supportive, so that helps a lot!

I lived in Austria and it was always my dream to walk it to Santiago. Looking forward to reading your updates! Buen Camino!!

Hi! Time for another update :)
The last couple of days I have been walking in more pain than usual. I'm now at about 325 km into the walk and the ast 4 days have been at least 80% asphalt. Giving me not only blisters on my heels, but the back of my heels have become very painfull. It's the part where I don't stand on. So today, also because it's my birthday :), I decided to take an easy day of 13 km into a town called Vöcklabruck. If my feet still hurt tomorrow morning, I might take a train to Salzburg and rest up for a few days. I'm about 4 days away from Salzburg. I hope that won't be happening, because the next few days are supposed to be beautifull. But it has been great, the weather was good and the people are still very nice. Yesterday I found out that there are not many people walking the Jackbsweg, because the trail was completely overgrown and it felt like I was on a survival show. But for the most parts it's roads through fields and woods and with the greatest views. The Alpes are getting closer and closer and they look amazing.
The hotel I'm staying brought me a mini cake with candles and a present for my birthday, isn't that the best!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The last couple of days I have been walking in more pain than usual. I'm now at about 325 km into the walk and the ast 4 days have been at least 80% asphalt. Giving me not only blisters on my heels, but the back of my heels have become very painfull. It's the part where I don't stand on. So today, also because it's my birthday :), I decided to take an easy day of 13 km into a town called Vöcklabruck. If my feet still hurt tomorrow morning, I might take a train to Salzburg and rest up for a few days. I'm about 4 days away from Salzburg. I hope that won't be happening, because the next few days are supposed to be beautifull. But it has been great, the weather was good and the people are still very nice. Yesterday I found out that there are not many people walking the Jackbsweg, because the trail was completely overgrown and it felt like I was on a survival show. But for the most parts it's roads through fields and woods and with the greatest views. The Alpes are getting closer and closer and they look amazing.
The hotel I'm staying brought me a mini cake with candles and a present for my birthday, isn't that the best!
Happy Birthday, Celine! Thanks for posting your updates. If you can take a rest day, perhaps your feet will recover a bit. Do you have walking sandals to wear for a change? That might ease the pressure on the backs of your heels. I am really impressed by your brave commitment, but you are the one to know when you need to give yourself a break and not try to keep up to your own expectations, never mind those of others! Have a lovely Birthday today.
BFFE843C-ADDF-41E4-97BE-195E730BAB1F.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you so much for the update. I sooo remember the asphalt. It is really hard going.

Happy birthday, Celine. Very much enjoying your updates so thank you for finding the time to post them. A rest day sounds like it has been well earned. It can be your birthday present to yourself. ;) All the very best for your journey. Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Happy Birthday! You deserve a rest day or two. Rest and enjoy Salzburg. It’s a beautiful city and a nice gift to yourself.

It turns out my birthday gift from my body wasn't the gift I was looking for. The pain in my heel got worse today and it looks like heel bursitis. I booked 4 nights in Salzburg, hoping that rest might be the magical solution. Instead of feeling like a failure, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and think of a new plan. That is not easy. I tried sandals, but the ones I tried on all had straps exactly where it hurts.
It hasn't completely sunk in yet. When I walked to Rome in 2013 I already proved that I can walk a long distance, so it's a good thing that I don't feel like I have to prove something.
And the strange thing is that a couple of days ago I felt there was something not right. Walking today literally brought tears in my eyes and that is not why I'm walking. I don't want to be in such pain for 6 months. Maybe I can buy a bike or something. Anyone any ideas?

Ohhh. I am so sorry to hear this. Perhaps the pain will improve with rest and you can do baby stages afterwards? It is really weird how different segments of the Camino route show their own challenges and there is no rule of thumb for distances. The concrete pounding in Austria along with the ups and downs was really challenging and so will be Geneva to Le Puy. You just have to go with the flow...biking? Who knows...lots of steep bits. You would have to be a real biker to do this.

Ohhh. I am so sorry to hear this. Perhaps the pain will improve with rest and you can do baby stages afterwards? It is really weird how different segments of the Camino route show their own challenges and there is no rule of thumb for distances. The concrete pounding in Austria along with the ups and downs was really challenging and so will be Geneva to Le Puy. You just have to go with the flow...biking? Who knows...lots of steep bits. You would have to be a real biker to do this.
Well I am Dutch :p
Biking is sort of our thing..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Failure? Don’t think so.
Maybe a day or two hobbling around your immediate location or next village. I think you should leave thoughts about bike for the moment as you know already you can cover distances , and I believe your dream is to walk the entire route.
Buen Camino to you on this Friday evening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It turns out my birthday gift from my body wasn't the gift I was looking for. The pain in my heel got worse today and it looks like heel bursitis. I booked 4 nights in Salzburg, hoping that rest might be the magical solution. Instead of feeling like a failure, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and think of a new plan. That is not easy. I tried sandals, but the ones I tried on all had straps exactly where it hurts.
It hasn't completely sunk in yet. When I walked to Rome in 2013 I already proved that I can walk a long distance, so it's a good thing that I don't feel like I have to prove something.
And the strange thing is that a couple of days ago I felt there was something not right. Walking today literally brought tears in my eyes and that is not why I'm walking. I don't want to be in such pain for 6 months. Maybe I can buy a bike or something. Anyone any ideas?
I too am sorry to hear it is bursitis. Can that be treated with medicine, or just rest? You are great to bring it here to the forum, for support, which you have lots of, and helpful ideas. Hope you feel and are better after a good sleep.

So sorry to hear this, Celine - you need the R.I.C.E. formula: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation, untill it heals. You need to thoroughly check the style and fit of your shoes - even if they seem 'perfect' for you. I know some specialists here who I attend regularly and they have helped me with the same problem. You are welcome to recover here for as long as it takes. Gutte Besserung. Keith. ps I sent you a pm.

The problem is that I have had a very difficult time finding the right shoes for me. I even went to a store with a podiatrist and the shoes he he helped me find gave me problems with my achilles tendon. And those where the same shoes I walked on to Rome. Very strange. Then I found the shoes I have now, and I never had any problems with them. Even walked some trails in New Zealand and they where great.
I'm glad to have brought it here on the forum, you guys have already made me feel much better and please know that I am not the person to sit in a corner and cry all day. So far I've had the best two weeks of this year and enjoyed every minute of the walk.
And I sleep in a very nice hostel with 10 beds in a room and nobody snores, there is always something good :)

The shoe thing is utterly confusing and I am still not wise....what's good on one trail one year, may turn out to be a disaster on another trail or even the same trail another year....I have gone through many shoes over the last 12 years and have not found "the answer"!!! I wore shoes on the Geneva route last time, which had been fabulous on german trails and the portuguese and I ended up breaking my metatarsal and spraining the lisfrancs joint on the first day, still walked to Le Puy, but hurt like hell. Also lost my toenails as the paths are so steep your toes hit the front in shoes, whereas boots keep them from doing so....Had walked the Geneva before in hiking boots Meindl and had no issues....Walked in boots in Austria and ended up with blisters on soles of feet due to the concrete surfaces, shoes would have been better there...started walking in boots on the Via Baltica, got sore feet, switched to shoes, no problems....similar thing happened on the Via Regia...

The shoe thing is utterly confusing and I am still not wise....what's good on one trail one year, may turn out to be a disaster on another trail or even the same trail another year....I have gone through many shoes over the last 12 years and have not found "the answer"!!! I wore shoes on the Geneva route last time, which had been fabulous on german trails and the portuguese and I ended up breaking my metatarsal and spraining the lisfrancs joint on the first day, still walked to Le Puy, but hurt like hell. Also lost my toenails as the paths are so steep your toes hit the front in shoes, whereas boots keep them from doing so....Had walked the Geneva before in hiking boots Meindl and had no issues....Walked in boots in Austria and ended up with blisters on soles of feet due to the concrete surfaces, shoes would have been better there...started walking in boots on the Via Baltica, got sore feet, switched to shoes, no problems....similar thing happened on the Via Regia...
Sorry to hear about your experiences, and glad to know I'm not the only one. I have always had Meindl boots, I tried all different shoes and always come back to Meindl. Usually the problem is my toes, but now my toes aren't complaining at all.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, and glad to know I'm not the only one. I have always had Meindl boots, I tried all different shoes and always come back to Meindl. Usually the problem is my toes, but now my toes aren't complaining at all.
These feet are made to trick us and foster the shoe manufacturing business!

Oh, also meant to say, strangely that Via Gebenennsis walk where I had all these issues, was nonetheless one of my richest experiences and I would not have wanted to miss it! I hardly remember the pain now...

When I first went looking for walking shoes/boots the assistant in the shop looked at and measured my feet and only brought out Meindl so as I have been happy with them, I only buy Meindl. Square feet love them! Glad your spirits are up early, like yourself. Have a good day..:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello @celinehenriette, Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Have you considered roller skating? Last year I met an elderly Italian who was skating from Santiago dC to Rome. He used hiking poles to balance. He said he could no longer walk any great distance but found skating possible.

Hope things improve soon
Lovingkindness
I think that rollerskating with a 12 kg backpack and my sence of balance is not the best combination. But I have to be honest, I considered it :) So far my heel seems to have improved somewhat, and I will try again tomorrow. Hopefully making my way to Innsbruck in about 10 days. If that is not going right and the pain get too bad, I need to think about other traveling options. But I really hope that it doesn't come to that.

Hi @celinehenriette

The chances of taking on such a long walk without any issues must be pretty small, hoping you're getting all your bad luck out of the way early and the rest of your journey is pain free.

How warm has it been? I see the forecast is not super hot, I always find the cold brings me more tendon issues.

So far it has been very hot.
Tomorrow I think there will be a lot of rain, continuing on for a while. To think that the rain was one of my biggest concerns..

I am sorry to hear what has happened. Bursitis is painful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Right now the distances per day and the amount of asphalt on the Jacobsweg are what has been bothering me the most. With my painfull heels it has been difficult to walk more than 20 km, but there are not many affordable places to sleep and so I have to keep up with the 30+km days. And that is impossible. Today another 30+ day ahead and I decided to do the last part with a bus. But that is not really what I want to do. I thought that maybe the best option for me is to travel to the start of the camino Frances and start walking from there. Then I can choose my own distances and be better trained after I reach Santiago de Compostela. Then I can go back to the Alpes and continue my walk there. I think they call it flip flop. In that way I'll still be able to walk the entire thing, but hopefully less painfull.

Yesterday a friend called my while I was walking and I felt a lot better because I had someone to talk to. Maybe the Frances would be helpfull for me in more ways than one.

Practically speaking it sounds like a very good idea to me. Just wonder how you'd feel about arriving in Santiago and it not being the end?

Perhaps it's a crazy idea but maybe consider Le Puy to Burgos-> your current position to Le Puy and then Burgos to SdC or some variant? As I say perhaps a terrible idea and obviously it has potential travel expenses but if it were me I'd want to finish in Santiago.

But then again if it were me I wouldn't have started in the first place because I think what you're doing is pretty incredible and probably beyond my tolerance in all sorts of ways.

I know I'm not the only person on the forum willing you on in whatever form works for you.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Sounds like a plan, Celine. Always good to have a plan when things go a bit pear shaped. IMO if your heart says it’s the right to do then it is the right thing to do.

Thanks so much! I never felt like reaching Santiago would be the end of a journey. Today I walked a nice 21.5 km in the rain and it was just amazing! It is beautifull here and finally a day with not much asphalt. I had to use a bus for the remaining 10, and that was ok.

I never wanted to walk the Le Puy route, instead I wanted to walk the GR5 to Briançon starting at Lake Geneva. Then down to the Pyranees and do a part of the GR10.
So if I walk the Camino frances now, I will still be able to walk part of the GR 10 and the GR5. All will be good! I'm still a happy pilgrim :)

Hi Celine, I hope you got in either some good walking days or are resting and enjoying life. Just found out I’m moving back to Austria. Shame the timing wasn’t better or I would have walked a day or two with you for morale support. (Imagine the runners behind Forest Gump and that would be me) :)

Small update, I'm currently in Innsbruck. My feet are a lot better. I walked shorter distances, but here in Austria and apparently also Switzerland there will still be a lot of roadwalking. And to get an affordable place to sleep is very difficult and means I have to walk 30km days. Right now I can't do that. I decided to travel to St. Jean Pied de Port starting tomorrow. It will take a few days by bus. I will probably get there on tuesday. After I reach Santiago the plan is to walk some mountain trails, like the GR10 and GR5. But for now walking the Camino Frances is my number 1 goal!

Small update, I'm currently in Innsbruck. My feet are a lot better. I walked shorter distances, but here in Austria and apparently also Switzerland there will still be a lot of roadwalking. And to get an affordable place to sleep is very difficult and means I have to walk 30km days. Right now I can't do that. I decided to travel to St. Jean Pied de Port starting tomorrow. It will take a few days by bus. I will probably get there on tuesday. After I reach Santiago the plan is to walk some mountain trails, like the GR10 and GR5. But for now walking the Camino Frances is my number 1 goal!
That is a great solution under the circumstances. The Austrian and Swiss routes are quite cumbersome due to lots of concrete surfaces and expensive lodgings and there is noise from cars, planes, trains, agricultural machinery pretty much all the time. I felt in the thick of civilization there and as a pilgrim kind of tried to get through under the radar. Always felt like a vagabond or tramp though....From Geneva on it is great and affordable again.
In fact the route through France is my favourite of all time and I have walked it twice and hope to again in the future, as it is much more tranquil than the Frances and there are no big cities, just pleasant villages and the odd small town. Very relaxing. Terrain pretty up and down as far as Conques, gives you a good workout, haha....

So after hours and hours on busses and trains I have made it to Bayonne and have my ticket ready for the bus to St. Jean Pied de Port tomorrow. My heels are still in pain, plan is to take it slow and steady. Tomorrow I'll stay in St. Jean and the day after I'll start the walk. It feels like a new beginning. And man, I'm nervous!!

€46,-
So after hours and hours on busses and trains I have made it to Bayonne and have my ticket ready for the bus to St. Jean Pied de Port tomorrow. My heels are still in pain, plan is to take it slow and steady. Tomorrow I'll stay in St. Jean and the day after I'll start the walk. It feels like a new beginning. And man, I'm nervous!!
well done. If you can find a herbal remedy shop, show them your heels. We used a salve made in Scotland, with a minty perfume, but I know not what else was there. We used it daily to be kind to our feet. Looking forward to your reports from here on.

I walked the first day on the Camino from St Jean and it has been the best decision I have made!! The people, prizes for a bed, the trail. Just awesome and so much more inspiring. I talked to people from all over the world and it was nice to speak my own language at the hostel in Roncesvalles as it is run by Dutch people. The walk went much better than expected, not that is was easy of course. I have so much more respect now for everyone that has completed that first day. I walked the high one, don't know which one that is, but it was beautifull. What an experience so far! And what a difference from the Austrian trail. Not to ditch that one, it is a good trail, especially the first week was amazing. I just think I needed this more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the first day on the Camino from St Jean and it has been the best decision I have made!! The people, prizes for a bed, the trail. Just awesome and so much more inspiring. I talked to people from all over the world and it was nice to speak my own language at the hostel in Roncesvalles as it is run by Dutch people. The walk went much better than expected, not that is was easy of course. I have so much more respect now for everyone that has completed that first day. I walked the high one, don't know which one that is, but it was beautifull. What an experience so far! And what a difference from the Austrian trail. Not to ditch that one, it is a good trail, especially the first week was amazing. I just think I needed this more.
So lovely to hear you are in good spirits. The Austrian trail is quite lonely...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like you made the right choice. I hope your heels improve.

This makes me so happy, glad things are on the up.

You took the Napoleon Route btw.

Can I just say how FUN it is to walk the Camino???? This is just the best thing ever. Yesterday there was a huuuuge thunderstorm and I am terrified of thunderstorms. And then I met two women, 1 from Canada and and 1 from Australia and they stuck with me to make sure I was doing ok. Today the weathergods where in my favor and the weather was just beautifull. I've infiltrated into this German group and that has been amazing. I get to practice my German and English. Just great times. My heels have not bothered me the last few day. Only today, but that makes sence getting up the hill after Pamplona. The days are getting by way too fast and I think when I get back I might have to go to AA meetings when i return (all that wine!!) But it's all just great fun! I might or might not be touched by alcohol as I write this :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So it's time for another update. It is still amazing. Today I walked to Belorado and I do feel tired, but it just doesn't matter. The evenings make up for all the pain during the day. Hopefully I will make it to Burgos in a few days and I plan to take a day off there. I missed a few bad thunderstorms and I can thank the fact that I have already walked 650 km so I'm a bit trained. The group I've been hanging around has been calling me Speedy as I allways arrive first. My German is improving by the day and also is my English. I have been thinking about what I'm going to do after Santiago and all I want is to go and hug my mom! After that I don't know, all I feel now is freedom and being happy so I know I will come up with a great plan! All is good!!

That's fantastic, Celine. So good to share your adventure and Camino with us. I'm sure your Mum wants to give you a big hug too. I don't know, but maybe you feel the difference between Caminos in other countries compared to those of Spain: meeting more people, being close to their culture and nature, the people, culture and lifestyle. The spirituality of the experience. I find it hard to venture to other lands for pilgrimage, only Spain with Santiago de Compostella as the destination. Enjoy Burgos - don't forget to try to get to the Alberque Municipal next to the cathedral nice and early to que. Its worth the waiting, a beautiful Alberque, but only for one night - maybe you could find somethng else on your rest day? Anyway, your adventure and Caminos will last a lifetime, I'm sure.
Disfruta, buen viaje, Dios bendiga. Love, Light and Nature in your life. K.

New update :)
Today I made it to Leon. My heels have improved a lot and only hurt at the end of a long day. Other than a few minor blisters, my feet are fine. My spirit is great and I have started to form a plan after Santiago. Because I wanted te walk across Europe I decided to walk to Finisterra and Muxia and will then be able to close the Santiago chapter. Then I will travel home for about a week to give huggs and kisses to all my dear family members and friends. Then I think I might go to Norway, where I will hike different tracks and camp on the way. Whatever happens after that...don't know. Maybe a boat to Iceland or travel to the start of the Kungsleden in Sweden and walk that. As long as I can see and experience something new I'm good. And the Alpes and Pyranees will be there for me when I am ready for them.
I am loving this Camino so much and for now I'm not in a hurry to get to Santiago. One day at a time and so far I'm enjoying all of it. The Meseta has been interesting, I had a lot of time to think and why I'm here and what I want go get out of these 6 months of traveling. Good times!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha! I remember those minor blisters that were hardly worth bothering about. I'd just tape over them. The big sensitive spot on the ball of my left foot was a different story though.
You sound like you are in the zone. Enjoy!

So good to hear from you. Concentrate on the moment, the day - the future is always there for you. Love, Light & Nature be on your every path in life. Keith.

Today is the day that I walk into Santiago de Compostela. It is a strange feeling and it happens a lot sooner than I thought. But I feel good, just happy and ready for the new adventures waiting for me after Santiago. Like walking on to Finistere and Muxia. And then finding my way home and prepare for the next adventure. I still have 4 months left to travel and I plan to make the most of it. What I am going to do? No idea yet, maybe walking the Kungsleden in Sweden. Or a shorter Pilgrims trail. The options are open, I have time.

Today is the day that I walk into Santiago de Compostela. It is a strange feeling and it happens a lot sooner than I thought. But I feel good, just happy and ready for the new adventures waiting for me after Santiago. Like walking on to Finistere and Muxia. And then finding my way home and prepare for the next adventure. I still have 4 months left to travel and I plan to make the most of it. What I am going to do? No idea yet, maybe walking the Kungsleden in Sweden. Or a shorter Pilgrims trail. The options are open, I have time.
Congratulations, celinehenriette. Savour the moment!:)

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back