• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino hacks

• Thread starter Former member 71219
  • Start date
F

Former member 71219

I'm in planning overdrive and collecting a varied assortment of fabulous tips and tricks which I've never considered and I'm curious to know what your favourite Camino hack is?

A couple of creative examples I've come across that I love:
- sleep with your circular buff/neck warmer on to keep your ear plugs in. So simple!
- use a dry bag to chuck your clothes in when in the shower, add water from the shower head while it's warming up, throw in a detergent strip, let it soak while you're showering then rinse in the basin when you're done. Thanks @trecile for that laundry hack, I love it!
- laminate a colour copy of your passport to use at albergue check ins save over handling your passport. I like this idea but not sure if it's realistic, I'm guessing most places would insist on seeing the real thing?

What is your favourite Camino hack?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since such old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. Be prepared! Make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the sleeping bag to block the cold from rising.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since such old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. Be prepared! Make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the sleeping bag to block the cold from rising.
Those are great tips, thank you! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm in planning overdrive and collecting a varied assortment of fabulous tips and tricks which I've never considered and I'm curious to know what your favourite Camino hack is?

- sleep with your circular buff/neck warmer on to keep your ear plugs in. So simple!
- use a dry bag to chuck your clothes in when in the shower, add water from the shower head while it's warming up, throw in a detergent strip, let it soak while you're showering then rinse in the basin when you're done. Thanks @trecile for that laundry hack, I love it!
- laminate a colour copy of your passport to use at albergue check ins save over handling your passport. I like this idea but not sure if it's realistic, I'm guessing most places would insist on seeing the real thing?

I have done this, pasting the colour copy inside my credencial. Most places were happy with this , however a few insisted in seeing the actual passport. One hospitalero even went so far as to accuse me of presenting a fake passport. :rolleyes: In spite of this I reckon it's still a good idea, allowing you to keep your passport safely tucked away.

I have done this, pasting the colour copy inside my credencial. Most places were happy with this , however a few insisted in seeing the actual passport. One hospitalero even went so far as to accuse me of presenting a fake passport. :rolleyes: In spite of this I reckon it's still a good idea, allowing you to keep your passport safely tucked away.
Awesome to hear that most places were ok with it. I figure the fewer times I have to handle my passport the smaller the risk of losing it. I will definitely be giving this one a go, it can't harm. Thank you for your feedback. :)

Eat your bocadillo upside down. Not you, you stay right side up. But flip the bocadillo so that the top bread if facing down and the bottom bread if facing up.

And make sure you know the difference between a bocadillos (on a baguette) and sándwich (white bread), expecting the former and getting the latter will always disappoint.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Eat your bocadillo upside down. Not you, you stay right side up. But flip the bocadillo so that the top bread if facing down and the bottom bread if facing up.

And make sure you know the difference between a bocadillos (on a baguette) and sándwich (white bread), expecting the former and getting the latter will always disappoint.
Great tip, I hear they're treacherous! 😄

Newspaper in your trail runners when you have been walking in the rain. When you arrive in the albergue crinkle up newspaper and stuff your shoes with them. Before you go to bed do it again and your shoes will be dry. Take out the inner soul and let those dry on their own. I always try to have at least 1 or 2 old newspapers I take from bars along the way.
To create a good seal for your earplugs. I use the cheap ones that I get at a hardware store. I twist the plug like a corkscrew and put it in my ear and then when it starts to expand I twist it in the opposite direction. Creates a good seal.
Just told this to someone else.
When the forecast is for rain I take out my poncho and put it in the side pocket where I put my water bottle. There are two on my pack and i think all packs. When it starts to rain I take it out, face the wind and the poncho flaps like a flag. I put one arm in, keeping my arms up, then the other. I then will grab the bottom of both sides and pull the bottom of the poncho down. It will cover your back and backpack and then just zip it up and you are off.
I have some others but my wife is calling me to go haha

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Great idea w/dry bag to wash clothes in shower. However, may not work at some albergues if pilgrims need to use basin. I’d rinse clothes before exiting shower. Thanks!

I’ve only been on my camino for a few days but I’ve found a few S-biners very useful. They’re like carabiners but with two ends. Nite-Ize makes some lightweight aluminum ones in a variety of sizes. Hanging shoes off my pack, keeping the tube of my hydration bladder from flopping around, clipping my hat or water bottle to my bag so I don’t walk off without them, etc.

My stuff sacks have made a decent makeshift laundry machine. Mine are from Sea to Summit, their ultra-sil line. They’re not waterproof but it’s close enough. Makes for a nice wash basin if the sink is too grotty like at the Hostal Burguete.

I also have a small 14oz nalgene bottle that’s now serving double duty as a massager for my calves.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I used the laundry hack in Albergues with no sink plugs.
Passport - worth a try but some may want to feel the real thing!

Great idea w/dry bag to wash clothes in shower. However, may not work at some albergues if pilgrims need to use basin. I’d rinse clothes before exiting shower. Thanks!
I don't rinse the clothes on the shower for a few reasons:

I don't want to monopolize the shower.

I want them to soak longer, then before I rinse I shake the bag for awhile to agitate the clothes.

The laundry sinks are there for pilgrims to do their laundry. A quick rinse doesn't take much time.

Another tip when you use the dry bag wash method - if your socks are particularly dirty/dusty rinse them before putting in the dry bag.

It took about 300 miles of walking on our first camino for my husband and me to figure out that:
(1) The bars/restaurants don't seem to mind if two people share a menu del dia or pilgrim's menu.
(2) You can ask to substitute salad for french fries.
(3) You can ask for fried eggs and toast for breakfast in a bar and most places happily will do this for you. "Huevos fritos con tostadas". (We don't have to tell them how we like the eggs. The default is perfect for us: over easy but not TOO runny.)
(4) It's ok to ask for mayonnaise for your bocadillo.

In general, if you'd like something, just politely ask and it will probably be ok. We were hesitant to do this for a long time.

My favorite pilgrim meal/menu del día hack is to order two first courses. I often prefer to have a salad and lentil stew or pasta than one of the second course offerings.
You can also order a half menu for a discounted price, which will give you one course, but you still get dessert and wine. 😊

A buff wrapped around one wrist makes a great, always accessible way to wipe sweat from your brow. Jumbo safety pins are great for pinning socks together on windy days or to the back of your pack if they didn't dry overnight. If you ask nicely they will add a drizzle of olive oil and/or grated tomato to your bocadillo. Some private accommodations will have a towel warmer in the bathroom - turn the heat up and hang your clothes on the pipes to dry :D. On the calendar on your phone, type in the names of the towns you are planning on staying in on the dates you will be there, put the address of the albergue/posada in the address line, when you get close to your stopping point for the day, tap the address and the map will direct you to your front door. ALWAYS have some sort of food in your pack, cheese/nuts/fruit/whatever there will be times when you are flagging or starving and still 5-10km to the closest cafe. If you ask nicely at a cafe they will refill your water bottle with ice and water. It all becomes a blur after the first few days, take pictures and make notes on your phone for things/places you want to remember - having your route on your calendar will also help here so you can match the photo dates to your locations (if you have disabled location trackers on your photos).

Buen Camino, Peregrino is fun to say because it rhymes. :D

Awesome to hear that most places were ok with it. I figure the fewer times I have to handle my passport the smaller the risk of losing it. I will definitely be giving this one a go, it can't harm. Thank you for your feedback. :)
I showed my laminated color copy at every hotel/casa rural/hostal from SJPP to Muxia and it was always accepted.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't rinse the clothes on the shower for a few reasons:

I don't want to monopolize the shower.

I want them to soak longer, then before I rinse I shake the bag for awhile to agitate the clothes.

The laundry sinks are there for pilgrims to do their laundry. A quick rinse doesn't take much time.

Another tip when you use the dry bag wash method - if your socks are particularly dirty/dusty rinse them before putting in the dry bag.
Plus you use up precious hot water by rinsing clothes in the shower. Not good.

On the calendar on your phone, type in the names of the towns you are planning on staying in on the dates you will be there, put the address of the albergue/posada in the address line, when you get close to your stopping point for the day, tap the address and the map will direct you to your front door.

Such a simple idea, I will definitely do this one, thank you! And Buen Camino Peregrino certainly does have a nice ring to it!
Sensitive skin anti-perspirant cream deodorant containing aluminium hydroxide doubles as an anti-chaffing agent and foot cream. Triple purpose!
Wow, who knew! As with anything I will test first. I love multi purposing. Thanks for the tip.
Hiking poles work great to massage sore thigh/calf/hamstring muscles at the end of the day.
Another great idea, thank you! As with the Nalgene bottle. Sounds painful but necessary!

Thanks again everyone.

Buen Camino, Peregrino!

Attachments

• 19E3D881-80A8-4A00-B24F-7294EA904061.jpeg
    19E3D881-80A8-4A00-B24F-7294EA904061.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hiking poles are great to do stretches, message calves, and to roll any tape you need (athletic tape, foot bandaging tape, etc.) for transport.
If you roll tape around your poles, check to make sure that it's still usable after say, four years. I had never used the duct tape that I had rolled around my poles in 2018, and when I did try to use some recently it was almost impossible to roll off a section, and was basically unusable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you roll tape around your poles, check to make sure that it's still usable after say, four years. I had never used the duct tape that I had rolled around my poles in 2018, and when I did try to use some recently it was almost impossible to roll off a section, and was basically unusable.
I always wrap some duct tape around an empty plastic pen casing. I've used it only once for a hot spot and toss the whole thing out each time I return home.

Take a selfie. Add text on it: your name, address, phone numbers (not only the one of your phone !).
Put the result as the background image of your phone. If you lose it, someone who switch it on will see your photo, so will be able to recognize you when meeting you. Otherwise, address and other phone numbers could be used to send it you back...

Been there. Done that!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or, a less labor intensive option - download them as ebooks if they are available. I think that with the exception of Brierly, most are.

Yes, his.........'famously' are not :rolleyes:

I actually find the print on his latest ones too small to read, so having them scanned allows me to zoom in a bit.......

Tupperware box to carry lunch or as a doggy bag. Small notepad for lists, info etc. And the invaluable S hook with 1001 uses including hanging your backpack off the bunk frame - tidy, provides privacy and keeps it away from hitchhiking critters - we all know which ones I’m talking about.

Even if you don;t use them for their intended purpose, Headphones / Earbuds can help keep you sane and allow you some alone time or help ward off anybody you may want to avoid chatting to.

Ear plugs aren't a hack per se , but having a few extra pairs is often a good way to make friends

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Electrics:

A small cheap power bank is safer to leave on charge whilst you’re at dinner than your phone.

Don’t use ‘foreign’ plugs with a European adapter - buy a quality European USB plug - but not from a China store, unless you’re near a fire extinguisher.

No need for a ‘lightning’ connector and a ‘micro USB’ cable; you can get a tiny plug-in converter.

A buff wrapped around one wrist makes a great, always accessible way to wipe sweat from your brow. Jumbo safety pins are great for pinning socks together on windy days or to the back of your pack if they didn't dry overnight. If you ask nicely they will add a drizzle of olive oil and/or grated tomato to your bocadillo. Some private accommodations will have a towel warmer in the bathroom - turn the heat up and hang your clothes on the pipes to dry :D. On the calendar on your phone, type in the names of the towns you are planning on staying in on the dates you will be there, put the address of the albergue/posada in the address line, when you get close to your stopping point for the day, tap the address and the map will direct you to your front door. ALWAYS have some sort of food in your pack, cheese/nuts/fruit/whatever there will be times when you are flagging or starving and still 5-10km to the closest cafe. If you ask nicely at a cafe they will refill your water bottle with ice and water. It all becomes a blur after the first few days, take pictures and make notes on your phone for things/places you want to remember - having your route on your calendar will also help here so you can match the photo dates to your locations (if you have disabled location trackers on your photos).

Great ideas. Thank you.

I've used the laminated passport copy. Was always accepted. Never needed to use the actual passport except at border crossings. Use this technique wherever I travel now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I used a copy of my passport to check in on both CF and CP, no problem. I use the copy when checking in anywhere in Europe, never been asked to see the real thing. I think they just need your name and passport number for their records?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ahh. Finally. He's been against it for years.
I found CF 2021 on Kindle.
and CP 2021.
Invierno 2021
Ingles 2021

So looks like from 2021 they are on Kindle.
Yippee! :)
The reviews for the Kindle versions are not good though. Apparently the formatting is bad.

The reviews for the Kindle versions are not good though. Apparently the formatting is bad.

Oh. I might get one and check it out..........

Just bought the Sanbres/Invierno 2021 Kindle version.

Trying it on PC, iPad and Phone (Galaxy S8)
I'm not much of a Kindle user so others may be of more help.

PC seems a little blurry. Would give a headache after a while. But could be my eyes!

iPad similar but usable.

Phone. Better as I can tap on the page to highlight it and then zoom in.
Seems OK and certainly what I will use in future.

Though if I compare to my old 'scanned' pdf version on my phone, the old one seems to be higher resolution and clearer.

So the current kindle option might just be a file resolution issue.

But certainly useable.
I won't feel a need to cut of the hardcopy book spine and spend an hour scanning all the pages!

Thank You Mr Brierley.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I wrap some duct tape

I wrap some duct tape around the bottom of a walking stick and my ibuprofen container - you never know when you’ll need some tape.

An eyeglass string from the dollar store was great for my sunglasses, so I could remove them and take pictures, etc., and not lose them.

I use a small zipped change purse (recycled plastic versions are light weight) for daily cash and coins, fits in my pack’s hip pocket or pants pocket and saves me having to access my money belt.

You can download a sample instead of buying the entire book.

Really, even for a Kindle version?
Learn something every day.

I wanted that one anyway.
For next year touch wood :)

Just checking.
I think you can 'view a sample' on the Amazon site.
More to see the contents.

Can't see where you can download a sample though.
i.e. to test it on your device.

But I'm no Kindle expert! :rolleyes:

Really, even for a Kindle version?
Learn something every day.

I wanted that one anyway.
For next year touch wood :)

Just checking.
I think you can 'view a sample' on the Amazon site.
More to see the contents.

Can't see where you can download a sample though.
i.e. to test it on your device.

But I'm no Kindle expert! :rolleyes:
Maybe it's different on the Australian site, but under the "buy now" option there is a "send a free sample" option. You choose which of your devices to send it to from a drop down menu.

kindle sample example.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am most grateful for several suggestions here that worked wonders on my recent less-travelled Camino with multiple days of rain. EG Kanga’s suggestion of a large Osprey drybag to place pack inside at night to avoid bedbugs :) ; Trecile’s suggestion of a laundry strip in drybag with dirty clothes for efficient washing :)

Two others I found helpful:
1. Overboard waterproof neck wallet (46 grams).
a) Security for passport, cards and phone, and very helpful when swimming
b) Navigating and photography when raining (phone inside hanging around neck means hands free for poles but easy access to check track GPX or take photos through the transparent plastic)
https://www.over-board.com.au/products/waterproof-multipurpose-case-medium

2. Hiplok reusable tie (20 grams).
a) Security for pack by tying to pole or table (or a friend’s pack) when leaving a pack outside small bar/shop/restaurant and its crowded (eg. Train station or major town or city)
b) Hang pack off floor to avoid critters hitching a ride; and sometimes an alternative to S hook

Foam massage ball is fantastic for rolling out all the knots and aches in your feet at the end of the day. They are very light. Just stand on it and run your foot back and forwards. It really is wonderful on tired feet.

Get into the habit of checking under the bed as the last thing you do before you leave a hotel room or albergue.

I am most grateful for several suggestions here that worked wonders on my recent less-travelled Camino with multiple days of rain. EG Kanga’s suggestion of a large Osprey drybag to place pack inside at night to avoid bedbugs :) ; Trecile’s suggestion of a laundry strip in drybag with dirty clothes for efficient washing :)

2. Hiplok reusable tie (20 grams).
a) Security for pack by tying to pole or table (or a friend’s pack) when leaving a pack outside small bar/shop/restaurant and its crowded (eg. Train station or major town or city)
b) Hang pack off floor to avoid critters hitching a ride; and sometimes an alternative to S hook
Some great tips here! I have taken on board the extra bag for bedbugs and the laundry hack - both so clever. And the security one is great info to have and research further. Do you know if it's easily cut if someone has scissors? I definitely want to take something as I will be travelling alone and I'm overly trusting. Best if I don't rely on anyone and take matters into my own hands. :)

Do you know if it's easily cut if someone has scissors?
It has ‘steel core’ so can’t be cut with scissors. It would require a serious piece of equipment - unlikely a petty thief would carry, let alone be prepared to use in public. The link I shared has more info. :cool:

It has ‘steel core’ so can’t be cut with scissors. It would require a serious piece of equipment - unlikely a petty thief would carry, let alone be prepared to use in public. The link I shared has more info. :cool:
A cheap pair of aviation snips will cut through one of those like a hot knife through butter.

Otto lock cut in 2 seconds

On the other hand if somebody wanted to steal one of these intact to use it themselves (why?) they can simply do something like this:

undoing a re-useable zip tie lock

as the LPL says: "have a nice day!"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Three really useful things I've learnt from this forum:
1) the lightest way to carry water is in the bottles you can buy it in - just refill, and replace if necessary
2) the lightest way to carry night-time warmth for indoors is in a down quilt - you don't need warmth beneath you if you're in an albergue. There are versions which double as a poncho.
3) the lightest way to keep stuff in your pack dry is in a lightweight drysack - which is also good for organising stuff and washing things!

A very large safety pin for attaching your socks to the outside of your backpack, 2 more for the webbed area of your backpack where you can discreetly dry your undies,
large ziplock bag for clean clothes. 🚶🏼‍♀️Happy Trails and Buen Camino 🚶🏼‍♀️

Love the calendar map one. Will use that

having your route on your calendar will also help here so you can match the photo dates to your locations (if you have disabled location trackers on your photos)
Rather than use my calendar I have a spreadsheet for each Camino I do. I record my daily kms, where I slept, how much it cost, and notes about the day. I can then refer to the spreadsheet to see where I was on a particular day and find photos from that day on my Google Photos account.

Some great new tips here. S Yates of this forum wrote a book about 10 years ago 'Pilgrim Tips and Packing List'. Perhaps it's time for an update..☺️
FWIW I always carry small amount of vaseline to rub on toes before socks go on in the morning. Mains adapter has 2 USB outlets. I always take a 6 inch strip of sticky backed velcro - but haven't used it yet! Also some sticky-backed reflective tape - very useful for sticking on pack, poles, clothes, shoes etc if you suddenly get fazed by walking along roads at dawn or dusk (less important for CF). And don't forget to re-proof your waterproof kit before you leave, as Galicia will test it.
I endorse what has been said about using newspaper in wet shoes. Unfortunately these days there's not so much of it around - I've received some suspicious looks from the locals when checking the top of waste bins for a discarded newspaper...

Last edited:

€46,-
I endorse what has been said about using newspaper in wet shoes. Unfortunately these days there's not so much of it around
When my hospitalera said she didn’t have any newspaper, I explained to her what I needed it for. She came back with a stack of old invoices from the pension 😅 I think strictly speaking was NOT GDPR compliant but it got my shoes dry the next morning.

Ironically, when I came to pay, she couldn’t print any invoices cos “printer was broken”!

Some great new tips here. S Yates of this forum wrote a book about 10 years ago 'Pilgrim Tips and Packing List'. Perhaps it's time for an update..☺️
FWIW I always carry small amount of vaseline to rub on toes before socks go on in the morning. Mains adapter has 2 USB outlets. I always take a 6 inch strip of sticky backed velcro - but haven't used it yet! Also some sticky-backed reflective tape - very useful for sticking on pack, poles, clothes, shoes etc if you suddenly get fazed by walking along roads at dawn or dusk (less important for CF). And don't forget to re-proof your waterproof kit before you leave, as Galicia will test it.
I endorse what has been said about using newspaper in wet shoes. Unfortunately these days there's not so much of it around - I've received some suspicious looks from the locals when checking the top of waste bins for a discarded newspaper...
All good suggestions - but what’s the sticky-back Velcro for?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.