• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Heartbeat....

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 | May | Vezelay Camino.....watch this space!

2010 | September | Camino de Santiago in - completed in full - 33 days - no rest days! Was an awesome experience!!
Hi all

Thought I would share on a separate thread my journey & it's main purpose - won't be the only purpose, as The Way has it's own purpose for us all as we find out along The Way... :)

For those on facebook, please search for CAMINO HEARTBEAT and you will find my Campaign page - love everyone to join and help share the word around - awareness is a huge key!! This page will also tell you about my journey.....AND my personal story.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 7143482304

But very briefly.....It's hard to believe it's almost 4 years since I suffered my heart attack - so unexpected and such an enormous shock! Being a VERY young 40year old, very fit & healthy, don't smoke, don't do drugs etc & running 10km 3 times per week - I was not expecting or suspecting a heart attack! But it shows it does not discriminate by gender or age or fitness level....I just happened to be unlucky to have "dodgy DNA" which we did not know until BOOM! However, I am VERY lucky to be still here to tell the tale & to help raise awareness to heart disease in younger people, particularly women!

I am walking The Way to as a major fund raising event - $100k is the target!!

The campaign will officially go live in May 2010 and I will start the walk on Sunday 26th September - you will notice me if you're on The Way when I am as you will recognise my Camino Heartbeat logo....

Thanks in advance for all those who dare to look and much gratitude to those who join and big hugs to those who have already joined and left me wonderful positive messages.

I love how modern technology enables us to embrace globally & not just locally :D

Buen Camino to all
Jacqui :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bravo to you and muy fuerte!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you both - very much appreciate the "strength & luck" :)

Wow, Jacqui, What a shock and congratulations for not letting the whole experience make you feel like a permanent invalid.
Will you be posting somewhere online how people can make donations?
Buen camino
Cecelia
PS. As an afterthought - the first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles is, I think, the hardest day of all - possibly because it is the first but also because it is very steep for the first day of walking. Although I'm in my sixties and have walked it 3 times so clearly it's not that hard. But I always think it would be better for the body (especially after a long plane trip) to start back a couple of days before the body takes on the big day. Two other options to be aware of in case you're not - first - there are two albergues - Huntto and Orisson - a short way that feels like a long way between SJPP and Roncesvalles. If you stay at one of them the next day to Roncesvalles is only about 17 km or so making it very mangeable even to a jet lagged body. And second - again with respect to not yet being out of jet lag and doing the hardest thing first - there are many offers at the albergues and elsewhere to let someone drive your pack over. They seem very reliable and lots of people do it. These are not necessarily recommendations - just options.C.

Wow, Jacqui, What a shock and congratulations for not letting the whole experience make you feel like a permanent invalid.
Will you be posting somewhere online how people can make donations?
Buen camino
Cecelia

Thank you Cecelia

I will be blogging on the Camino Heartbeat facebook page on a daily basis & include pics as well. Plus once the Campaign goes live there will be an "Official" website which I will post on here & on the Camino Heartbeat facebook campaign page - the official website will have the option to donate online through a "safesite" payment link.

I had some great advice from Arn as well and he also suggested stopping at Orisson rather than doing the entire crossing in the first day and I'm absolutely going to do that and it is a too good an opportunity NOT to stay there overnight - it's got a great reputation and I've already been in contact to ensure they're open on the evening of 26th September :D plus I see no point in the rush as I want to embrace the smell, the feel, the spirit & the view!!

Thank you for your kind response and your keen interest.

Buen Camino
Jacqui

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hello again Jacqui,
I haven't seen Arn's post to you but just in case he didn't mention it, make sure you reserve a spot at Orisson as soon as you know your dates of travel - a couple of months in advance if you can. They get booked up very quickly. When I was last there (April 20,2007 - having booked in early March), they said they were fully booked from April 21st through May and June already.

If you can't get in at Orisson plan to stay at Huntto. It is two or three kilometers closer to SJPP (and therefore farther from Roncesvalles<grin>) but those first few kilometers out of SJPP are quite steadily steep and you'll be glad the next day that those first 5 kilometers are history.
Suerte
Cecelia

Jacqui!

Great plan, congratulations for that!
And thank you for sharing your very personal story with us.
It is quite 'disturbing' to read this - I am 41, soon 42, and - although I know some men, friends, between 40 and 50 having had heart attacks - it is still hard to believe. At our age, I guess, we feel 'above' all these health issues till they 'catch' us.

Enjoy every moment of your Camino - it is such a great great experience.
But be careful : You can get 'Camino-addicted'!!!

Fatma

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Enjoy every moment of your Camino - it is such a great great experience.
But be careful : You can get 'Camino-addicted'!!!

Thanks Fatma - I hope I get addicted!! :D I would also love to do the Camino de Norte (in warmer weather) and also the Via de la Plata! Plenty of time & maybe I plan to do one of those at the next Holy Year - got plenty of other things I want to do in between :mrgreen:

Ciao ciao
Jacqui

Hi Cecelia

I now have my donations website up & running :D

I'm starting up the training slowly and am starting to get excited all over again!! In the meantime I've moved house & started a new job - so I haven't exactly been slothing on the sofa!! LOL

My new job is right behind my campaign and happy to let me have to time off to do the walk :D

I purchased my hiking boots at the weekend and took them out for a little walk and were actually quite comfortable - was only 30mins, but that's enough to start with. I bought a British made brand called CARN and they are quite a generous width boot and thats a good thing when you have a broad foot!

Thanks again to all who support my cause and have joined my CAMINO HEARTBEAT facebook page and also a few that have already donated!

Ciao ciao
Jacqui

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone

To all my curious fellow Pilgrims who have supported me and my campaign - an update!!

My tshirts look great!!!! LOL

All my campaign flyers have arrived and look fantastic and the A3 mini posters are superb! So it's out on the campaign trail I go from this week until I fly out of Melbourne on 18th September.

Then it will be a week of campaigning in the UK before flying to Spain to commence!! I don't intend to carry a backpack full of flyers.....LOL so anyone on the camino will just have to put up with me TALKING about it instead :mrgreen:

My facebook campaign page is open to the public - search for CAMINO HEARTBEAT

My donations page is

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/camino_heartbeat

Thank you all again and I look forward to meeting so many amazing personalities along "The Way"

Cheers
Jacqui

Hi Jaqueline, what a fantastic idea to fundraise, it has crossed my mind, but have never taken the plunge as I worried it would become consuming. Apart from writing a blog which I do every time anyway, do you have to do anything else for this on a day by day basis? Would love to know a bit more about the ins and outs of this, if you have a few minutes to respond....all the best Gitti

Hi Gitti

It's really a matter of personal ideal - for me, I had a heart attack nearly 4 years ago, so my reason and drive to raise funds for heart research are quite personal - also depends on how much you want to raise as to your target audience and how much time you have personally to dedicate to it.

I have a great Corporate contact list from my jobs over the past 5-6 years whereby I will target for both Corporate donations and personal donations and then I am reaching far and wide all over the world and advertising on American heart links, Canadian heart links, British heart links etc and then I walk both Sat & Sun for 5-6 hours and talk to people about it and now I have the flyers to give to people as well.

I work a full-time job on top of, and train at the gym 4 nights a week as well. So yes I'm a busy girl, but it's my passion and drive given my own personal experience. No one has done this as a major fund raising event in Australia, so that's always an extra drive to get out and promote and most people are very interested, as it's so different.

Cheers
Jacqui

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you very much for your response, I was thinking of a cause like guidedogs for the blind or Odyssey House. In both cases the organisations would have the corporate contacts and I could use my personal ones...all the best to you, last year on the Le Puy route I met a man in his 50's who was diabetic and had had a severe heart attack 5 years ago, he could hardly walk 5 steps without GTN under his tongue. He was walking 20 to 25 km on the Le Puy route day after day, it was very inspiring. The worst for him were the burning feet which was associated with the diabetes. He walked 350 km on this particular occasion and was planning to continue the following year. I have a mitral valve prolapse, not too bad though and manage 20 to 26 km per day and the more I walk the better I feel. Regards, Gitti

Wow Jacqui ... all I can say is "Go Girl"!. As a fellow Aussie, I'd like to say that I am proud of your fabulous Aussie spirit and I wish you a wonderful camino. I am not on facebook, so will go on your website and see how to donate. I am sure you will have the support of all your camino friends on this forum.

I too have experienced heart disease, and was alerted to it at 35 prior to having an attack... 12 mths ago I had an operation to correct it - I am turning 50 in November and part of my birthday celebration is to take this 'short walk'. Can't wait!

My husband and I are walking in early September, and would love to wear your T-shirts - are you selling them, and if so, how do I buy one? (Perhaps I should have checked your website first ... typical of me!). Let us all know how we can promote your cause...

GO THE SOCCEROOS!

Leanne

Hi Leanne

What a wonderful post to read :)

And am warmed by your story - it's just amazing when we talk openly about it how many women, young women, are affected! It's a great way to celebrate not only a milestone birthday, but you're still here to share it with your loved ones! That on its own is worthy of a major celebration!

I'm not selling the Tshirts as a major part - but am about to order 12 for a few friends etc - so if you'd like to order one they are $25 ea plus a little bit for postage if you're not in Victoria.

Sizes are women's: 8, 10, 12, 14 and men's: M, L, XL, XXL

They are pretty standard white bonds type round neck tshirts - sizing isn't over generous.

Also, I have lots of amazing DL or with compliments card size flyers that I give out to help promote as well as some A3 mini posters. Please let me know. You can send me an email on here and we can work it from there.

As much promotion as possible would be wonderful - it's a global issue and therefore keeping it open to everyone, everywhere!!

Have already had some people from other parts of the world donate who had seen my promo on here - it's a wonderful thing!

The http://www.everydayhero.com.au/camino_heartbeat is the donation site with some details and pics. I think you can still view the camino heartbeat page on facebook (google) but you just can't login to make any comments etc.

Thank you so much for your interest :D

YER and GO the SOCCEROO's for Thursday morning....!!

Cheers
Jacqui

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations, that the spirit. Wish you all the best. I have finished my Camino a month ago, and if there is any way I can help please feel free to ask.

jeremy

Go soccerooos... go.....

Thanks Jeremy

Unfortunately the Socceroo's didn't quite get their "steam" until too late - should've played their first game like they did against Serbia - might have been a totally different outcome now - oh well----roll on 2014!! :mrgreen:

What state in Aust are you? How many days did it take you? Assume to commenced in SJPDP? Did you take the "hiking/walking" sticks?

I trust you had an awesome and totally memorable camino :D

Cheers
Jacqui

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hey Jacqueline

I live in Sydney, and yes my camino was wonderfull, and if I could I would start walking again tomorow. Walking sticks - is a must.
First day from SJPdP was much, much easier than I have anticipated. It is not alwas uphill . We started 7.30 in the morning and get To Roncevalles by 2.30 pm with stops for a coffe, foto oportunities, smal talk and lunch by the stone hut.
Well there is a link to all my fotos from Camino, first 30 fotos is from the firs day.
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/hwonago/ ... vuisu_hcw#

First foto is of my wife in the chopper over the Mitchell Falls in WA, I have no idea how it get there or how to removed. Well at the end of the day it is a nice photo anyway.
jeremy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jeremy,
Wonderful pictures and, from the look of it, you certainly experienced an 'a la carte' Camino in terms of weather conditions...'c'est la vie c'est la route'
Thanks for sharing
Nell

Hi Jeremy

The pics are amazing!! I so can't wait!! :D

Tell me, the pics with all the snow - where was that and what time of year??

Did you both lose weight?

What was the injury your wife had?

Do you think it's ok to do the SJPDP to Ronscavalles in the one day?? Given I'm pretty fit anyway! A lot are saying to stop overnight in Orisson!

Appreciate your feedback and love the pics.

Cheers
Jacqui

Hi Jacqui !!!

Ahh.... snow... mid may, and the pictures taken between Santa Catalina de Somoza and El Acebo.
We stayed overnight in Manjarin, no power, no water, no bathrooms but big on hospitality. It was to cold to walk further 7.5 km and my wife leg was a bit tired as well.
That day we stared walking from Murias the Rechivaldo, just after Astorga, there is a small cafeteria, mini bar with good food. The nigt before she cooked dinner just for two of us, food was superb. Pretty good wine to. We eat breakfast there as well. Most of the food that is served there is grown by the owner or her family or close friends.The name of restaurant is El LLAR., an she is know by australian peregrinos fraternity. Well worth a visit.

Regarding the weight... yes we lost bit, but not much 1 - 2 kilos. However fat was replaced by muscles, we become much slimer.
On the third day, my wife developed blisters on tips of the toes. ( rigth foot )
Boots were well broken before we started Camino, all the care taken. We dont know why it happen.
As a result of that she lost three toe nails, and as a result of blisters , and toe nails she develped.... what many peregrinos had.... a tendenaitis. We walked just about 10 km to Leon to seek medical atention, stoped in Leon for extra day, walked for 8 km, having a rest and then we did about 20 km or so for couple days with the help of medications,ice, antyinflamatory drugs and vino tinto. I had only two blisters, in the same spots on each foot, but we delt with them very swiftly.
From SJPdP to Orisson we walked about 3.5 houres, it is not that far and was not hard for us at all. If You like walking and you fit you should have no problems. You can always try walkig uphill in Australia and see how you feel. Always with a backpack and walking poles.

Jeremy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.