• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino here we come!

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Portuguese
2023 Frances
2027 Frances?
We have trained, packed, unpacked, repacked, read, studied, planned, and it is almost here. Our flights leave in 70 days to begin the Porto coastal trail. We have a plan that has broken the Camino into days with about 10-15K but we will see what actually happens.

Excitement and apprehension is here but it is getting time to just do it. Final stages of planning include packing and repacking again, and again, and again, so I know where everything is in my pack. Some long walks to build final confidence. And praying that the COVID-19 doesn't disrupt our plans.

With some luck and prayers May 24 will be our first day on the Camino. Here we come!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We have trained, packed, unpacked, repacked, read, studied, planned, and it is almost here. Our flights leave in 70 days to begin the Porto coastal trail. We have a plan that has broken the Camino into days with about 10-15K but we will see what actually happens.

Excitement and apprehension is here but it is getting time to just do it. Final stages of planning include packing and repacking again, and again, and again, so I know where everything is in my pack. Some long walks to build final confidence. And praying that the COVID-19 doesn't disrupt our plans.

With some luck and prayers May 24 will be our first day on the Camino. Here we come!

So now the big question is will we be able to go given the state of the pandemic. Still have our fingers crossed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hola - I don't want to put a dampener on your dreams; mine is/was similar - depart Porto on 21 May for SDC vis the coast route. Sadly that dream looks less likely as each day passes. Buen Camino.

And praying that the COVID-19 doesn't disrupt our plans.
So now the big question is will we be able to go given the state of the pandemic. Still have our fingers crossed.
This is a time for all of us to think of the big picture and to let go of our smaller personal desires in the service of keeping each other safe. It's no longer time for business as usual.

Hope is fine unless it prevents us from letting reality in. This pandemic is happening. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but Spain is scrambling and doesn't need us in the way. Would you be a house guest when your hosts are dealing with a huge crisis? No. This is the same just bigger.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
At this point we are just waiting to see what options we will have with flight changes once we get closer to our currently scheduled departure date. I know it is not likely that we will be able to proceed as planned in May but am waiting to see, once we get closer, what the options for this year may still be.

I still have hope, I may not have a new date yet but I still have hope.

It has become increasingly more difficult to contact airlines for information. The phone lines and websites are over loaded with messages to contact them closer to the dates of your travel. I have been working on unwinding my trip in May and June and the cancellations of most of my accommodations have been successful. Cancelling trains and internal airlines is next to impossible unless you want to sit on hold for a day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have booked my flight to/from Lisbon on 13 July 2020 for my camino, hoping it will be over by that time, coming from Italy. Ciampino airport is closed at the moment until early april this year, so all Ryanair flights are cancelled. Buen camino a tutti.

You expect the pandemic to have cleared in just two months? I salute your optimism but urge you to rethink your plans.

Aged 64 you're a prime Covid19 target. There has yet to be a surge of cases in the US but it is likely happen so you might consider a situation where things have improved in Europe but are getting worse in the US because of the infection time lag. Will European countries then restrict incomers through fear of a second wave of infection?

Have you asked your travel/health insurance company - you DO have travel insurance don't you? - how the situation will affect your coverage?

Even postponing your Camino until later in the year might cause you problems - a lot of others with be trying to do the same thing - and as for delaying it until next year, a Holy Year already predicted to be rammed full, well . . .

Hoping things work out well for all of us but you know what they say: si vis pacem, para bellum

Take care, stay healthy.

Last edited:
Why do so many people feel the need to chime in on nearly every post to explain how “they” know better than the original poster? I just finished reading the DNA thread and was similarly frustrated.m by the negativity.

If you don’t agree with the OP or you would do things a different way - more power to you. But the OP is not asking for your advice, opinion or scolding. I’ve found that, in general, the people who post here are not stupid. I’m sure if the pandemic is still an issue, the OP will not go (especially if the closures are still in place). They can readjust their plans as the time gets closer. But if things go better than expected, say if COVID-19 turns out to be seasonal like influenza, then Spain, France, Italy and other countries who have been so impacted financially, will welcome the return of pilgrims to help their economies get back on track. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, how about we try to keep things positive in these threads that have nothing to do with the pandemic? If I want to read opinions about that, I’d read the threads dedicated to that - or better yet visit the CDC, WHO or the government health department websites for the country I want to know more about so that I can get accurate, scientific facts instead of opinions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My Camino dos faros is planned for June 8 and my Camino Portuguese begins July 1. Good luck and be safe

Why do so many people feel the need to chime in on nearly every post to explain how “they” know better than the original poster? I just finished reading the DNA thread and was similarly frustrated.m by the negativity.

If you don’t agree with the OP or you would do things a different way - more power to you. But the OP is not asking for your advice, opinion or scolding. I’ve found that, in general, the people who post here are not stupid. I’m sure if the pandemic is still an issue, the OP will not go (especially if the closures are still in place). They can readjust their plans as the time gets closer. But if things go better than expected, say if COVID-19 turns out to be seasonal like influenza, then Spain, France, Italy and other countries who have been so impacted financially, will welcome the return of pilgrims to help their economies get back on track. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, how about we try to keep things positive in these threads that have nothing to do with the pandemic? If I want to read opinions about that, I’d read the threads dedicated to that - or better yet visit the CDC, WHO or the government health department websites for the country I want to know more about so that I can get accurate, scientific facts instead of opinions.
Very well said. We are going through something that has not happened before if you consider the current speed of information, and some case dis-information, dispersal throughout the world, as well as the ease and frequency of travel between countries and continents. All of which is contributing to our world wide situation.

I am not prone to knee jerk reactions. I also know that there are two sides to travel, departure and arrival, both of which can be impacted and impacted at very different times. Things are changing daily and sometimes hourly. The only option I can pursue is to wait until things get more stable. Then I can understand what will be available to me and when. Only then can I make responsible decisions about my situation.

I know everyone is different and not everyone would take my approach. I am fine with that wishing everyone well. But as I have said before I have hope for without hope there is despair and I will not allow myself to succumb to despair.

Buen Camino and more importantly Buen Life.

We are hopeful that we can star from Leon late September 2020

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Although I have some hope for September I am not counting on it, heavy sigh. We just got our flights cancelled by the airline which cleared the way for reimbursement and the money is now back with us. I have read many conflicting opinions when things may open up again but we will in all likelihood reschedule for May of 2021. Since we are not fans of crowds and certainly do not want to be in a bed race we are keeping an open mind for the final timing.

If September 2020 looks like things are close to the new normal we may give that a try but just don't think it will be in the cards for us this year. So with that we turn our sights to May, or September 2021 as the new target.

Will keep watching the goings on in this group and hope to run into a few when we do walk. As always, everyone keep safe, stay well, and help others.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back