• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in April: what to choose?

normaliser

Time of past OR future Camino
CP, Nov 2014
Via Regia, Oct 2015
CF, Burgos-Leon, Apr 2016
CF-Muxia-Fisterra, Sep 2017
CF, Oct 2019
Hi to all,

In November 2014 I'd completed a Camino Portugues from Porto. It was great.
I'm going to Camino in April 2016. I have near 3 weeks for it but I have to end camino and return home till 26 of April
And.. I have a problem: what to choose between Camino Primitivo+Camino Muxia&Fisterra (I prefer to) or Camino Frances from Leon?

Have anyone an expirience of camino early April? I would be kindly thankful for your advise about weather and route conditions, opened albergues and numerosity of peregrinos on both variants or your ideas about camino in early April.

Thank you and Boen Camino ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello normaliser,

can't say anything about the Primitivo, but walked the Francés this year in april. I'm hardly an expert as I only walked that one Camino, maybe some of this might still be helpful to you, though:

Amount of people:
Apart from easter holidays there were not that many people, and even then, no trouble in finding a bed at all. But you're not walking all alone either. Sometimes there were more people around, sometimes I walked alone for hours, especially in the early morning and afternoon it seemed to be more quiet. Easter is early next year, in march, so the easter holiday walkers will actually be gone again already when you start. From Sarria on more people, but still okay.

Weather:
This april it was sunny and warm more often than rainy and cold (got a sunburn within a few days!), but from what I heard it can vary from snow to 30 degrees Celsius, so you should be prepared for both. In the mountains it is colder, the nights especially, bring gloves, hat, scarf and a warm sleeping bag for colder days and the not so well heated albergues.
Spring is beautiful to watch, it seems to get greener from day to day, first flowers ect. - So if you don't mind not knowing what weather you'll get, spring is a good time to walk, in my opinion.

Route conditions:
When it's raining there's a lot of mud, in Galicia there were some puddles so large it was a bit tricky getting around them, but that's better than asphalt, isn't it? Overall the route was in good condition and easy to walk, but I guess that varies from year to year and snow and rain can change that quickly in some areas (mountains especially). Heard of people who had to take a bus around Cebreiro one year because of snow, but only hearsay, so maybe others can tell you more about that.

Albergues:
In april most are open, only some of the summer-only albergues were closed. Some are well heated, some not. Bars were open also, you can have a coffee or stop to sleep every few kilometers in some parts of the route :D

I wish you Happy Camino Planning!

Hi to all,

In November 2014 I'd completed a Camino Portugues from Porto. It was great.
I'm going to Camino in April 2016. I have near 3 weeks for it but I have to end camino and return home till 26 of April
And.. I have a problem: what to choose between Camino Primitivo+Camino Muxia&Fisterra (I prefer to) or Camino Frances from Leon?

Have anyone an expirience of camino early April? I would be kindly thankful for your advise about weather and route conditions, opened albergues and numerosity of peregrinos on both variants or your ideas about camino in early April.

Thank you and Boen Camino ;)

Normaliser:

I have walked several Camino's. All of them during April. It depends a little bit on what type of Camino you want.

The Frances will be the most populated. Starting in Leon you should be able to reach Santiago in about two weeks. It will start out gently from Leon before reaching the mountains.

You could walk the Salvador/Primitivo in 15-20 days. The Salvador starts in Leon and ends in Oviedo. It is a beautiful 4-6 day walk but the weather conditions could be sketchy during April. This is a sparsely traveled route and requires more planning than some of the other routes. The Accommodations are adequate but some small villages do not have bars or restaurants. This route also has it's own Credential and certificate. You get the Credential in the Leon Albergue and the certificate in the Cathedral in Oviedo. The Primitivo is another beautiful walk (11-14 days). It is hilly and challenging at times , especially in wet weather. April weather is unpredictable but the snow capped mountains to the South are beautiful. This route will be less populated than the Portuguese but you will likely never be alone.

You could also walk a section of the Norte. A beautiful walk along the coast until you reach Galacia.

So many choices.

Most Albergues will be open on all routes after April 1st. Numbers of Pilgrims Frances (lots), Salvador (maybe none), Primitivo and Norte (somewhat less than Portuguese). Weather will be unpredictable.

Ultreya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks a lot for your attention, Good_Old_Shoes and Joe, yours meanings, explainings and notices are very helpful for my preparation.
I don't afraid any snow, rain or cold. I prefer mountaining and then have felt myself quiet ready to changeable weather.
Generally I have a big dilemma: Primitivo or Frances? I want to go both ways:) Maybe.. It is a question of balance between desires to feel a spirit of camino and my imaginations about it a real way. I hope even though I can't choose out here - perhaps I do it when I'll arrive to Madrid: then, I hope the voice of Camino will help me:)

Thank you very much again:)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back