• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in April?

Julieontheroad

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino del Norte
Hi Camino walkers!
Julie, 29 here!
I did the Camino del Norte last Summer and enjoyed for the astonishing landscape (hills and ocean views), the social scene and the inexpensive accommodation options. I am an experienced hiker and prefer to walk alone during most of the days but also needs company sometimes. :)

I am looking to do a 1-month camino ASAP as I am starting a new job in the end of April.

If you have any ideas for a good camino at this time of year I would be very thankful for your feedback!

I am interested in El camino Portugues (coast or inland) or Vía de la Plata from Sevilla.

Which should I choose if I hope for nice hiking weather, some people on the way/at the albergues and not too expensive accommodation?

My concerns are:

Will I have to pay hotel prices on the Portuguese way? Which way is better for this time of year?

Is the VdlP too deserted in April? Are accommodation open in April 8goes for both caminos)?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think the Camino Frances is great in April - the spring weather can be a hit or a miss, but you will probably have a better chance of albergues being open than on other caminos, and enough pilgrims to keep you company (but not too many!) Easter is also a big event in Spain, and the Camino will probably be busy over this period (mid April), which coincides with the Spanish school holidays. If I were you, I would make sure I was somewhere that holds festivals and processions over the Easter weekend. Sounds like an amazing opportunity - feeling very jealous ;)

Julie, I am starting the Portuguese route on April 7th from Porto and will include Finisterre and Muxia as well. This will be our forth year in a row, all in early April. Our experience with April weather has been very good. Some rain, but not extreme. I personally prefer hiking in cooler weather, so many days start off (depending on altitude) 2 to 3 C, but mid teens most days and a few days over 20C. April 2014 felt like summer, 2015 and 2016 were more seasonal, but certainly not what I would call cold...but then again I am from northern Alberta!
You will never see me walking the Camino during the summer as I have no interest dealing with 35C days.
A pilgrim pass port entitles you to stay at albergues (hostels) which are quite inexpensive. Most offer a choice between bunk rooms and private rooms, with private rooms costing more. My wife and I do stay at the occasional hotel and most we found offer a pilgrim discount.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A major reason as to my selecting the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon for an early April start was because it is closer to the equator.
I figure it will be warmer that nearly all other Camino starting points.
Let's hope I'm right.
It should take about a month.
Regards
Gerard

I walked the Portuguese las May, from Porto, and would not do it again. I walked the Central after a day on the Coastal. Pontevedra is a beautiful city, the variante Espiritual has a lovely stretch one day, bit that's about it. (Plus, when I walked, 90% of others were German retirees which made for a scocial life that left to be desired as I don't undertand a word of it, and I was often the only non German in the albergues).

Next Wedensday I am heading off to Sevilla, and there are apparently quite a number of people out there at the moment. After all, it's not a Camino to be walked much later in the year due to the hot weather.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will be starting Portuguese April 12. Will watch for your carcass.
Talked to a guy who did it last year and he thought it was great hike.

Was in Portugal for a few weeks ago and on weekend went looking for the Camino south of Porto. Not only could not find any markers, we could not find a local who knew where exactly the Camino went through their city.

Camino del Madrid to Sahagun April 3rd.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.