• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in baby steps.

Remus

Hello all,
My wife and I would like to engage on the Santiago de Compostella hyke, but we don't really have the amount of time that is required to complete the pillgrimage in 1 hit. So, my question is, can we do it in like 3-4 different hits? Like do a portion of it this year, then continue from where we left say next year and so on? Has anyone did this before? Can we get some advice on this matter, please? Thank you in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Doing the camino in stages is very possible , for example you can start in SJPDP and finish in Pamplona this year and next year continue from Pamplona till Logrono and so on.

Hola and welcome.
Yes you can break the camino into sections, as Christian says, so long as in the last year you complete at least the final 100kms (or more) on foot it doesn't matter how many years you take to complete the whole.
Another way is to walk one of the shorter Caminos - or choose a starting point on the Francés nearer to Santiago (but over 100kms away).
As you read the posts on the forum you will find that folk have adapted their Camino according to their personal situation.
Have a great time planning and walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Remus,

Welcome to the Forum!

Many pilgrims walk as you suggest. Each year they do another stretch along the camino. There is no problem at all to do this!! All you need to start walking is a Pilgrim passport or Credential. Have this stamped wherever you stop each night. You can obtain this from this Forum if you wish; just click Pilgrims passport on the black band across this top of this page for more info. Each Credential is valid until finally stamped at the Pilgrim Office when you do arrive in Santiago.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I met in Estella a large group of a Camino association from Calahorra (that is La Rioja, Spain) who was doing it in successive weekends. I thought that it was not good for an inmersive experience, but anyway, they were having a great time. So, you do the Camino as you like (or can do) it, it is no problem as far as you respect the general rules stated in your "credencial".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Remus,

Welcome!
My DH & I are doing just as you enquire about. As he can not take much more than 2 weeks holiday we are doing a section at the moment & expect to finish near Logrono at the end of the week. We plan to return in September for another section. It's great!

Hola Remus,
At this stage you know the technicalities about sellos and 100km. Delayed gratification works wonders so if return trips seem doable I recommend picking a distant starting point. My first outing was in 2007 taking me to Santo Domingo. Back at least once a year since then... easy access for us in Europe.
Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back