• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in Finland?

JR9162

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (5/1/2018 - 1007 km in 39 days)
Camino France's (4/10/2019)
I've tried to search for information regarding the existence of sections of the Camino de Santiago in Finland. I am interested in a connection to the Camino in Estonia which begins in a location across the estuary from Helsinki. This trail continues to Latvia and onward through Lithuania to connect to the Camino in Portugal.

Does a section of the Camino exist in Finland and where can I obtain information about it?

Thank you!

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't heard of a dedicated Camino route in Finland. I quite literally stubbed my toe on a pavement marker for the Lithuanian Camino last year though. There is an excellent long-distance walking site called Traildino which might give you some suggestions of walking routes to connect with the Lithuanian and Polish Caminos.

I've got a possible Camino from Riga (family links) on my list - but close to the bottom.

Tried searching St James and Finland and got this. Perhaps you should search for links to St James in Finland, join them up, and make your own Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've tried to search for information regarding the existence of sections of the Camino de Santiago in Finland. I am interested in a connection to the Camino in Estonia which begins in a location across the estuary from Helsinki. This trail continues to Latvia and onward through Lithuania to connect to the Camino in Portugal.

Does a section of the Camino exist in Finland and where can I obtain information about it?

Thank you!

John
Hello @JR9162
A few years ago I was interested in setting off from Finland, too, then walking on through Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania into Poland. I collected information and posted it here on the forum. In the end I improvised a trail, walking from Tallin via Riga and Vilnius to Krasnapole (2017). I am still hoping to walk in Finland one day....

These links may be useful.

Finland: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finland.41001/#post-415575

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland :

Resource:

All the best with finding your way.
-Lovingkindness

Last edited:

Thank you!

John
Hi John, Rev. Kalle Elonheimo (kalleelonheimo at gmail.com) is the person to ask. The Oxen Path from the castle in Hämeenlinna / the church of St.James in nearby Renko to the port of Turku is the Finnish Camino. I did it in 2009 on my bicycle and found then that it was not easy (or cheap) to find accommodation. Things may have changed since then.

One of the oldest camino maps show the extreme starting point in Finland as HATTUTA.
In the matter of fact it is HATTULA, the "St Cross Church" from 1324. Coordinates 61.04.22 and
24.39.00, The church is open in summertime. There the camino started towards Åbo / Turku.
In RYMÄTTYLÄ was "St Jakob Church" from about 1300. The journey went on by
rowing or sailboat to Sweden.
I do not know exactly how the camino went in Sweden, but one sure place is Vadstena, a closter
founded by St Birgitta, who herself visited Santiago two times.
We have some cameneras who made it all from Hattula to Santiago de Compstela.

Attachments

• 01 Pyhän Ristin Kirkko - Hattula.png
    01 Pyhän Ristin Kirkko - Hattula.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 02 Rymättylä - Pyhän Jaakobin Kirkko.jpg
    02 Rymättylä - Pyhän Jaakobin Kirkko.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 03 Birgitta.jpg
    03 Birgitta.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 26
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As Jakke told...
Renko is on the Oxen Path from Hämeenlinna to Turku.
There the "St Jakob Church" is from late 1400.
The coat of arms show oxe (Oxen Path) with pilgrims staff and shell of pilgrim.

Attachments

• 04 Renko Coat of arms.jpg
    04 Renko Coat of arms.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 05 Renko - Churh of St Jakob.jpg
    05 Renko - Churh of St Jakob.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 15

Thank you!

John
I think it is meant that the trail connects from Lithuania to “Poland”, not Portugal.

I think it is meant that the trail connects from Lithuania to “Poland”, not Portugal.
After reaching Santiago de Compostela some pilgrims continue on to Fatima in Portugal. They used to follow the yellow Camino arrows in reverse, then blue arrows to the sanctuary. Perhaps @JR9162 is considering this....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are correct, Poland. I walked Camino Portugués from Lisbon to Santiago last fall.

Kuten aiemmissa postauksissa jo mainittiin, Suomessa Pyhän Jaakobin polku alkaa Hattulasta ja menee Naaantaliin. Tässä muutamia linkkejä suomenkielisille sivuille, Google kääntää ne sinun kielellesi. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Today I arrived in one of my favourite cities in Italy, Palermo, ready to start a solo walk across Sicily on the Magna Via Francigena tomorrow! It’s a ~185km trail from Palermo to Agrigento that I...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.