• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in January/February

snavenayr

I am going to be walking the Camino in late January/early February. Do you guys know what the weather should be like and/or have any suggestions for preparation? Do you have any suggestions for the best route to take? Camino Frances seemed like an easy one to choose because everyone does it, maybe there are better though?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be out there just ahead of you, and plan to encounter rain, snow, and cold. My pack will be a bit heavier, and my distances a bit shorter. The Camino Frances has the best infrastructure of all the caminos, so probably is the best choice for winter. Many albergues will not open until April. About 20 pilgrims per day arrive in Santiago in January, 30 per day in February, and 100 per day in March (mostly toward the end of the month), so you won't be elbow-to-elbow with other walkers during the day or at night. I plan to have fun, and hope you do as well!

Falcon,

Glad to hear you are trading in your sun hat for a wooly one (you won't regret it). Enjoy your winter Camino and keep us all posted. Safe passage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Falcon,

I too am thinking of walking the Camino in early February -- will it be difficult to find alberges' open along the way? I'm a first time walker of the Camino so your opinion is appreciated.

Cheers!

Even in November, albergues are closed, so I expect quite a few to be dark in January and February. In towns with two or more albergues, one is usually open. Call ahead, or have the hospitalero call ahead for you. That way, you will not head for a place that is known to be closed! The Eroski and Mundicamino sites have fairly good information on what is closed. However, some that are listed as open all year ARE NOT!

Hola - during the quiet season as well as those albergues which close each year there are those which close for repairs and renovations and those where hospitaleros cannot be found to cover or need to go on holiday. As has been said when you are in an albergue ask the hospitalero what is open up ahead. In my experience the generally know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a Camino internet website,spanishsteps.eu, which provides a comprehensive list of alburgues indicating those that close for a period during the year. I found it to be accurate, although as explained in other posts there are exceptions to open albergeue schedules so it may be prudent to verify along the way.

Also note that many new alburgues opened within the last year or so. I am not certain how well the list on the website has been updated to include them. In any event it is a good reference.

The link:

http://www.spanishsteps.eu/camino-franc ... mmodation/

Even in mid-October this year, there were albergues closing for the season...so definitely call ahead. It was explained to me that the municipal albergues are required to stay open year round (someone correct me if I am wrong) so if you stick to towns with a municipal albergue, you should be good.

Hi I started the walk from st jean-pied-le port on the 10th of December and went to roncevaux via Valcarlos you can get alist of all the open albergies on the French route from the pilgrims office in st jean.many of the albergies are closed between Nov and April.from roncevaux it's a 21k hike to zubiri where u will find one pension that's open.the next trek is to Pamplona centre to the municipal albergie Jesus et Maria this is another 22k walk I am afraid.
After this there is one private albergie in zariquiegui roughly 10k from Pamplona open.
Then it's about 14k to Puente la reina to the next albergie.
The municipal albergie in Estella is great 22k further along the trail.
You may find something next in lorca but will have to call around. First I found nothing till los Arcos which is 24.8k walk I did make it to logrono via the albergie in viana,after this point I havnt walked yet but will be back next Thursday the 5th Jan and from this point onwards their seems to look like at least one albergie in each town along the way open.
WEATHER
Whilst there a few,weeks back I.e mid December the weather was rainy cold damp with a few sunny moments it reminded me of the weather the spring or in the Autumn in the U.K..
Hope this info helpfullu

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I started the walk from st jean-pied-le port on the 10th of December and went to roncevaux via Valcarlos you can get alist of all the open albergies on the French route from the pilgrims office in st jean.many of the albergies are closed between Nov and April.from roncevaux it's a 21k hike to zubiri where u will find one pension that's open.the next trek is to Pamplona centre to the municipal albergie Jesus et Maria this is another 22k walk I am afraid.
After this there is one private albergie in zariquiegui roughly 10k from Pamplona open.
Then it's about 14k to Puente la reina to the next albergie.
The municipal albergie in Estella is great 22k further along the trail.
You may find something next in lorca but will have to call around. First I found nothing till los Arcos which is 24.8k walk I did make it to logrono via the albergie in viana,after this point I havnt walked yet but will be back next Thursday the 5th Jan and from this point onwards their seems to look like at least one albergie in each town along the way open.
WEATHER
Whilst there a few,weeks back I.e mid December the weather was rainy cold damp with a few sunny moments it reminded me of the weather the spring or in the Autumn in the U.K..
Hope this info helpfullu

You really need good waterproof windproof equipment this time of the year too,a few days it was sideways rain and cold too.
I would recommend a layering system of thermal long sleeve top then another long sleeve mountain top and then a micro fleece if it's cold in the mornings on top of this I recommend gore tex jacket and trousers and don't bother wearing your poncho wrap your whole rucksack up in it and just pull the straps out.
Decent waterproof gloves and a thermal hat and a scarf too.
I would also recommend walking poles if you've ever had knee problems.
BUEN CAMINO

O

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.