• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in late August/early September with teenagers -- which route?

jdogjasper

Time of past OR future Camino
Not sure (2017)
I am planning on spending approximately 2 weeks late August/early September hiking part of the Camino with my 13 and 16 year old. We are planning for about 20 km/day but also want to have flexibility to speed up or slow down as it fits for us.
I'd love some advice on what would be the best route for us. We were initially considering starting the Camino Frances in Sarria but I'm worried that it will be too busy. I'm now thinking about the Camino Ingles and then carrying on to Muxia and Fisterra.
We could also adjust our timing to earlier in August but then I am a little worried about heat.
Any advice you have would be very much appreciated!!!!!
Thank you :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would try Porto-Santiago, either inland, or along the coast, that would be 11 days approximately, if you have any additional days you can always proceed onto Fisterra. Alternatively, you can do the Primitivo route from Oviedo to Santiago too.

I would avoid the Sarria to Santiago but as you have already sensed to do. If walking into Santiago and earning a Compostela is not important (they can always get a certificate of distance) I would walk the Frances (more flexibilty in terms of distances and just enough people and energy without it being a bit of a zoo) further back. For easy access to departure point you could do Pamplona to Burgos, or Burgos to Leon. If extra time available bus to Santiago and then walk on to Fisterra or Muxia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would try Porto-Santiago, either inland, or along the coast, that would be 11 days approximately, if you have any additional days you can always proceed onto Fisterra. Alternatively, you can do the Primitivo route from Oviedo to Santiago too.

Thanks so much for both of your responses!! I am thinking we will either do the Porto-Santiago Coastal route or the Primitivo. The girls do want to make it to Santiago de Comp and like the idea of doing the "full walk" sort of :)
I'm thinking the coastal route might be busier especially with vacationers by the ocean but the Primitivo might be really hot in August.
Any comments about these routes in terms of business as well as weather and/or the overall experience? I'm hoping this experience inspires my kids and also doesn't break the bank :)
Again - TOTALLY appreciate any and all comments.
Jen

The Primitivo has a special place in my heart. It is just right for me. Quiet walking but meeting up night after night with practically the same group as there are not so many options that groups get split up. It is gaining in porpularity so I would avoid arriving in albergues too late in the afternoon, especially as there will be three of you and I suppose you will prefer to bunk close to each other.

In Oviedo, don't miss the Naranco sites, up on the hill behind the train station. You can actually start your Camino from there. Other great "musts", for all sorts of reasons include The menu del dia at casa Pachon in Salas (followed by a nap as you won't be able to walk after that), a night's spluge in the albergue is the hotel Palacio de Meras in Tineo, a night in San Juan de Villapanada (a simple traditional albergue with a brilliant hospitalero), a night at David's albergue in Bodeyana, and of course the walk on the Hospitales route, but only if the weather is good.

Have a wonderful time!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While I fully agree with Anemone, I will now defend the Portuguese a bit ;)

Do not worry about heat, neither in the Primitivo nor in Portuguese it should be too hot, Primitivo might be busier in all stages, while in Portuguese you will find the Portugal section (at least inland) quieter, but after crossing to Spain, it will be more crowded.

In any case, I hope you enjoy this unique opportunity with your children!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back