• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in late May: What socks to wear and is just a fleece enough.

Nigel Rosewell

Time of past OR future Camino
never walked the Camino before
I'm starting my Camino in SJPDP in late Nov and I have some 1,000 mile socks and they are quite thick and i'm worried my feet will over-heat as it will be summer, but as I broke my ankle a few year back I like the support the socks gives my tendons. Also, do I need to take a coat as well as my fleece, its a Goretext relatively light n water-proof but I realise it will be cold some morning especially at the higher points on the path. Its funny reading the many links on the forums and everyone is stressing, I guess its all about being aware and letting go of the many structures in our lifes as we take to the road xNigel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm starting my Camino in SJPDP in late May and I have some 1,000 mile socks and they are quite thick and i'm worried my feet will over-heat as it will be summer, but as I broke my ankle a few year back I like the support the socks gives my tendons. Also, do I need to take a coat as well as my fleece, its a Goretext relatively light n water-proof but I realise it will be cold some morning especially at the higher points on the path. Its funny reading the many links on the forums and everyone is stressing, I guess its all about being aware and letting go of the many structures in our lifes as we take to the road xNigel

I'm starting my Camino in SJPDP in late Nov and I have some 1,000 mile socks and they are quite thick and i'm worried my feet will over-heat as it will be summer, but as I broke my ankle a few year back I like the support the socks gives my tendons. Also, do I need to take a coat as well as my fleece, its a Goretext relatively light n water-proof but I realise it will be cold some morning especially at the higher points on the path. Its funny reading the many links on the forums and everyone is stressing, I guess its all about being aware and letting go of the many structures in our lifes as we take to the road xNigel
Hi Nigel,

You say you are starting from SJPP in late November. That is NOT Summer!! It is late Autumn/Winter and you are likely to meet cold, wet even snowy weather, so be prepared for it. :rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Nigel,

You say you are starting from SJPP in late November. That is NOT Summer!! It is late Autumn/Winter and you are likely to meet cold, wet even snowy weather, so be prepared for it. :rolleyes:
I meant to say late May Mike lol but put Nov by mistake

I tried several different kinds of socks and have finally settled on Smartwool PhD light crews. For years my sock of choice has been Thorlo light hikers, which are fairly bulky, but I was having lots of blister problems with them when I walked more than 8 kilometers or so. Since I've been using the Smartwools, no problems at all. They are very light and snug, which keeps them from rubbing against the skin.

I'm not sure how a sock can offer ankle support, though. Sounds like you need to look into getting a boot with ankle support. If you have real problems with stability, you might want to look into getting some kind of orthotic splints for your ankles.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear thick Darn Tough socks with light weight silk liners, I apply Vaseline on my feet as well. I have a gimpy foot due to serious neuropathy and I will be wearing high, stiff Salomon boots for ankle support one size larger than my normal shoe size this year. I have tested Asolo and 2 styles of Merrells over the past 3 years and I hope this will finally be the right selection. I have dealt with blisters in all styles and sizes of boots but then that's the Camino, get used to it.
A fleece late in May could be overkill but you should keep your eyes on the weather leading up to your departure. I wear a light weight Merino sweater in the morning and have used a fleece vest a few year when I was not walking in the summer.

A light fleece is handy for those times when it's chilly. Mine spent a lot of time at the bottom of my pack but it was nice to have anyhow. A windbreaker as another or alternate layer worked well too. Light layers! It was mostly very hot and I was trying to cool off more than warm up but May has changeable weather. Smart wool socks were great as well. I also had Keen sandals that I used for walking some days (yes, with socks) when it was extra hot.

Hi Nigel,

You'll get lots of different opinions on socks! As with shoes/boots, it's a very personal thing and what works for one person may not work for you.

My feet get quite hot when I walk. When I hike at home, I wear wool socks or 1000 mile socks. However, I've found them too warm on the Camino. After much trial and error, I now wear the Spanish Lurbel trail socks every time. Some of them have good ankle support, although obviously not as much as you'd get in a boot. Here's an example: http://www.lurbel.net/producto.php?id=261&col=21&n=Socks-Trail Running-DESAFIO ICE&sex=3&sn=Unisex

As regards jackets/fleeces, I suggest that you bring a lightweight waterproof garment and a light fleece or base layer.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nigel, welcome mi amigo. I will try and give you my opinion which will cost you what it may be worth. I think you may not need the gortex coat. Late May will most likely be quite warm. If it were me I would purchase an Altus poncho and use the very lightest fleece pull over you can find . It will aid in wind protection as well as raindrop armor. I use keen light weight targhee low boots because they are breathable although not water proof,but dry out overnight. If you find you need more clothes , they are readily available in most towns,and Albergue donation boxes. My first Camino was in 1983 and I did not even use a pack, but I was just a pup back then. I mostly travel in April and May, and I carry one tee shirt ,merino wool very light long sleeve tee,and a poncho in my pack for outer wear. Layering is the key to comfort. My motto is less is best. Keep it simple and light,if you need something,help out the locals and purchase it along the way. Merino wool socks are a good choice,I carry three pair and change out two or thee times a day and Vaseline up as well. It will be a great trip for you. The people you will meet along the way will be a real blessing. Buen Camino compadre.

My recommendation...vaseline...two pairs of medium weight sport sock...gel sole shoe liners...and well worn shoes...it worked for me.

I am always trying to save money so take my advise with a grain of salt. This is what worked for me and my husband on our first Camino. Please take note that we went late August-September 2013. We used a light weight non 100% cotton socks, along with a nylon sock underneath. My feet usually run hot but, It worked fine or maybe we were lucky. We had no issues and no blisters. If you have tendon or foot issues I would follow the best advise that fits my situation. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.