• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in November

templarsteps

Hi fellow pilgrims!

I'm planning my journey and start November 1st.. anybody else heading out at that time? Would be great if anyone could post some advice for this time of year, bit unsure how cold it's gonna get.

Buen Camino - the first step is always the hardest

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi

I walked from St JdPP last November. Alas I'm not sure it is possible to compare the weather year to year these days! But then it was a great mixture - including days of walking with trousers rolled up and a t shirt with sunscreen :) But it was cold in the evenings and early mornings - so I'd advise light weight technical clothes to layer with + the usual rain gear.

Buen Camino

John

I'm going in November too, but next year, not this year. I don't really care how cold it will be... I'll walk anyway. Anyway, weather's never reliable. Just be prepared for really cold weather and also warm end-of-summer weather. And rain. I think you have to always be prepared for rain on the camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked Burgos to Leon in November and found the mornings could be a little chilly (frosty even) but it warmed up very quickly and I walked in t-shirts most of the time. The albergues I stayed in were all heated and so although I took a down sleeping bag I could have managed with a lighter one. A few albergues were closed but enough were open to cater for the numbers walking.
The only problem was getting clothes dry, especially socks. I would suggest taking fast dry items where possible and not too heavy a fleece, raincoat etc as you may find you carry them on your back most of the time. I only saw rain once - on the day I arrived in Leon.
I really enjoyed walking at this time of year. The autumnal colours were beautiful. Although there was no rush for beds, there were still plenty of fellow pilgrims to meet up with or walk with. It is much more leisurely than walking in the summer as the daylight hours mean it is not possible to set off too early and so there are no 5am rustlers!
Have a great journey, buen camino!
Laura

Hello!
I'll start from Astorga 1 nov.
I don't find anywhere, how many "per cent" of the albergues will be opened in november and where can I get a pilgrims passport in astorga.
If anybody knows these informations, please help me.
Thanks!
hunman6

Hunman6, you will find all the info you need on the albergues on this website:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es

Click on Albergues - then check out Camino Frances and scroll down to Astorga.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-astorga

You can check all the albergues between Astorga and Santiago

The words "Disponibilidad del albergue" means availability - and Todo el año means all year.

The Refugio Parroquial Hospital de Órbigo is open De marzo a octubre (March to October)

You can check on all the albergues from Astorga to Santiago and plan accordingly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Hunman6
The albergues in the smaller towns seemed to have organised themselves not to all take holidays at the same time so when i was in Ages, for example, one albergue was open and one was closed and after a few weeks the situation was going to be reversed. The most reliable way to travel is just to check in the the albergues you stay in where is likely to be open further down the the trail. There is generally good communication between neighbouring hospitaleros and they will be able to help you with the options for the following day. Its hard to appreciate before you set off, but really there will be no problem!
As you are travelling in the latter part of the camino (which is generally busier) then I really don't see you having a problem with accommodation if you do a little planning en route.
Good luck and buen camino!
Laura

thanks alot for your posts guys. i'm all booked and ready to fly on 31st Oct. cant wait! i've given myself 6 weeks to get to Finistere so should get time to soak up plenty of the camino along the way. I'll post a weather report on my return. Thanks again for your replies and advice. wish me luck...

I love you all my divine earth family MWAH!

A

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Most albergues are opened. The albergue in Astorga, in the old convento is opened during all year (I've been sleeping there last february). The same about the albergue del Pilar in Rabanal or the private one in Foncebadon. If so, take the dinner option in the albergue, good one.

The albergue in Ponferrada opened, too. And the Ave Fenix in Villafranca. And of course all the albergues in Galicia.

November is a good month, good weather, good pilgrims, most albergues opened. Enjoy it.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hello All I have been using this foum for info for a couple of weeks. I´m actually in Madrid right now and I wish to do the Camino. Its planed to start in a couple of days. I am not going to do the whole thing just yet, thinking about starting in Leon or Ponferradas. What types of temperatures should I expect? in madrid the weather is not so bad but the hostel i´m staying at has no heat, its actually colder in my room then outside :x

Also does anyone know around how long it will take from those locations?

Hi Dario,

Welcome to the forum.

Depending on how fast you walk (or choose to walk) you might want to allow approximately 13 - 14 days from Leon and and it is approximately 3 - 4 days from Leon to Ponferrada (again depending on how fast you walk and where you choose to stay.

I have not walked at this time of year, but I suspect that the weather could be quite cold and perhaps even snow in the mountains. I"m sure there are other posts on this.
Buen Camino,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dario,

What types of temperatures should I expect?

Right now, in Santiago, we are having about 3-4c when I wake up in the morning (around 7), and maximums during the day of about 18c or so. This is if we have clear skies/sun. With some clouds it usually goes up a few degrees in the morning and down a few degrees during the day.

Also remember that you will be entering Galicia at O Cebreiro, that is located at altitude, this makes it colder. I have not heard of snow there yet, but.....

For a more professional weather report :) , please have a look here:
http://weather.yahoo.com/Spain/SPXX/regional.html

Buen camino!
Ivar

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Weather will be colder since tomorrow.

I was yesterday by the Camino, between Molinaseca and Astorga (and visiting the CSJ albergue in Rabanal, too) and was quite hot being in october, but it's not normal.

The spanish weather webpage, even for little towns, is http://www.inm.es

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Yes, this week it looks like it will be colder and rainier.

The forecast on the radio this morning talks about rain and max temperatures of 12-13c and minimum temps at 2-3c. It looks like the sun will be back for the weekend.

Possibilities of snow as low as 700 meters was also mentioned. :shock:

Saludos,
Ivar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
yes indeed. Here at 900 meters on the meseta the temperatures are dropping all through today... you can almost feel it! The neighbors are rushing to finish the sowing, as it may just SNOW overnight! :shock:

Buen Camino!
Rebekah

thank you for all the help!

well im used to the cold being from canada, anything above 0c is fine with me lol. also, does anyone have any info on albergues in Ponferradas i can call to book by phone or online? i see its a big city are the albergues hard to locate? i plan to take the bus there and im nervious that i might arrive too late.

lastly how do i pronounce albergues? i dont want to sound like a gringo :roll: lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There´s one big albergue (al-BER-gay) in Ponferrada, it´s open year-round, and if you´re going off-season you will likely get one of the nicer rooms, too! It´s open till 10 or 10:30 p.m., depending on what kind of mood Ebanisto is in.

It´s not terribly close to the bus station, but everyone knows where it is. Just ask someone. And when you see the yellow arrows, follow them BACKward.

Buen camino
Rebekah

Greetings everyone.

I´m here in Madrid now, and I´m considering doing the pilgrimage, possibly starting next week.

I´ve been reading everything I can, and I´m getting a better sence of things.

Buuut... I really don´t feel confident in my Spanish skills, and I didn´t bring a sleeping bag with me, because I was planning on hostels and such. I have one of those silk liners, but it´s not quite the same :)

If I do go, I think I would also start in Ponferrada since I don´t really have the time to go all the way from Madrid.

I doubt there is anyone else who is happening to begin sometime next week? I would love to have a companion or two on the journey, although I imagine I would meet some along the way.

But anyway, I think I can manage getting the pilgrims credentials here in Madrid, if not, hopefully in Ponferrada.

Realistically should I consider buying a sleeping bag somewhere here? I would rather not add the weight, but if I need to, it´s probably better to do so.

Anyway, I´m going to continue to research the sites mentioned. So, until next post,

Peace

-Daniel

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will finds lots of useful info here, I know I have found it invaluable.
I walked from Logrono to Burgos in November and would not have been without my sleeping bag. It would have been pretty cold with only a silk liner and although some albergues do have blankets and/or heating there are no guarantees.
I am sure it is perfectly possible to walk from Ponferrada and only stay in hostals/pensions/hotels and not have to stay in albergues at all and therefore you could manage without a sleeping bag BUT if you are also looking for some companionship and folk to share your evening meals with etc then the albergues are probably a better option. (You are also more likely to find people to help you out with your limited Spanish too.)
It all depends on your budget, need for privacy, tolerance levels etc..
I found there were generally between about 4 and 20 people in the albergues each night but I suspect it will be a bit busier nearer Santiago.

Good luck and buen camino.
Laura

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
typopanther said:
Buuut... I really don´t feel confident in my Spanish skills, and I didn´t bring a sleeping bag with me, because I was planning on hostels and such. I have one of those silk liners, but it´s not quite the same :)

Realistically should I consider buying a sleeping bag somewhere here? I would rather not add the weight, but if I need to, it´s probably better to do so.
-Daniel

Hi Daniel,
I have been following the blog http://lynnescamino.blogspot.com/ of someone who has only just finished the Camino. She has had many interesting experiences along the way, but she didn't come prepared for the cold. In one of her last postings just before Santiago, she says:
"Doing my now standard and practised shivering mode, I tried to find out from the owner of the Albergue, the situation re: heat. I pointed up at the heating vents all across the ceiling and did more shivering. The owner pointed up at the ceiling vents as well, jabbering madly in Spanish. What is he saying? The vents are broken? They won't be turned on? Or (more hopefully) they will be going on later?

However my hopes were completely dashed when he opened the outside door and fanned the air - still jabbering on in Spanish -which I find amazing, as he must know I can't understand a single word. So what is he telling me now? That it is not cold outside, hence no heat inside.
(Well, bloody right it's cold - both outside and in!! Or is he telling me to vamoose - hit the road?
Despairingly, I shiver one last time and return to the dorm, collecting as many blankets as I can, from uninhabited beds."

So I think, a sleeping bag is definitely needed at present, and not just a summerweight one!!!

Hello Daniel,
How lucky for you to be in Madrid! I posted the following a short while ago on another thread - I thought you might find it of interest...

I went to Barrabés in Madrid - it is located near Metro Cuzco on the Calle Orense 56 near the cross with Calle de Sor Angela de la Cruz. I got my rain poncho there and also a .5 kilo sleeping bag which was much more expensive in the US. It seemed to me ridiculous to shop online and pay shipping to the States when I was going to be in Madrid. I looked up what I wanted ahead of time and then bought it when I got to Spain.

I also bought my Tevas at Barrabés.. the only thing they didn't have was the small hand held linterna (lamp) I wanted... and they sent me to una Ferreteria or Corte Inglés for that. I found them to be very helpful and had most of the items that I had look at on the Decathelon site.There is also a North Face store on or near Calle Velázquez - I remember walking past it one day. So if someone is going to be in Madrid....

I ended up not using the sleeping bag - my silk liner and the occasional blanket were fine for the months of July/Aug on the Camino. However, I would think that the .5 kg bag (a three season, I believe) with the silk liner and a blanket should be good for most albergues on the Camino. However, I cannot speak from experience as I have not walked this time of the year. What I can tell you is that there were mornings in August on the Camino where you could see your breath!
Buen Camino,

Being cold is the worst, demoralizing, depressing thing. Buy a sleeping bag! The weight will be well worth it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
alipilgrim said:
Being cold is the worst, demoralizing, depressing thing. Buy a sleeping bag! The weight will be well worth it.

Yes, absolutely necessary with this weather.

Buen Camino, Daniel.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.