• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in October?

sky344

I'm thinking of doing the camino in October and I'm curious if this is still a good time to do the walk. I'm wondering if the weather will still be OK and if the trail is less crowded. Anyone have any experiences from an October camino that they wanna share??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi. Well who can predict the weather these days? I've had to use sunscreen in November and January! In October it may still be reasonably warm some days but cold in the evenings ands progressively so the higher you get. Layers of clothes are the answer plus good rain protection.

August, when all of Spain is on holiday, is the busiest month - last year almost 30,000 -pilgrims. October is about a third of this at almost 10,000. So there will still be pilgrims around but space in the albergues on the Camino Frances.

Buen Camino

John

We started the Camino last fall on October 23rd. We had planned just 1 week to walk. The weather was cool but not too bad especially for two middle-aged overweight people. My husband and I did not know what to expect so we packed high tech shirts like Under Armor and pants with zip off legs which were never zipped off :) We both wore a short sleeved shirt and a long sleeved outer shirt daily. We had very light weight rain gear called Frog-Togs that doesn't breath but worked really well as a wind breaker when it got too cold. I took a fleece vest but never got it out. It rained here and there and it snowed on the 29th.

The albergues are shutting down in October so be sure to get the list of open ones in SJPDP. That was my only compliant. We had less options for albergues but the trail was wide open with fewer pilgrims. We will be walking the first 2 weeks this October beginning where we left off near Estella. Perhaps we will see you.

Nicole

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Starting your Camino in October? Go for it, Sky!
I've walked on the Way six times...every month of the year. October is one of the best. If you are starting from the French/Spanish border (Pyrenees), you will surely reach Santiago sometime in November. Have a great time!

I did the Spanish part of my camino in October, crossed the Pyrenees on Oct 8th and arrived in Santiago Nov 7th, 2006. I had every conveivable type of weather, from sunny and warm to very cold. It rained heavily every day from shortly before Burgos to Leon, all the other days were dry and warm. Especially Galicia was totally rain-free and had day temperatures of well over 20 degrees and lots of sun :D
One warning: The days are getting shorter in October. It's to dark to walk before 8.00 until they move the clocks back at the last weekend in October, and sunset is around 6 pm.
I loved every moment of it, even the rain!
Buen camino!

I walked into Santiago last year on October 17th. The weather was fantastic. I then retraced the camino (driving from St Jean to Santiago) from October 20 to November 10th and noticed that a lot of the bars and albergues that I had stayed in only a few weeks before were all closed up. The atmosphere was different too - quieter and less celebratory in the evenings in the bars/restaurants. I saw very few pilgrims and snow on the mountains near Burgos! If you can go just a little bit earlier it may be worth it - perhaps begin mid September? cheers, Jane

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,

I started oktober 9 last year, in Lourdes.
It took me a week top get to St Jean Pied de Port.

I had no problems, but as written earlier, some albergues do close in November.
Information on which closed and which not is not always reliable.

The only problem that may occur is between Burgos and Castrojeriz. Information on the albergues on that track wasn't that reliable.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

surlechemin said:
...One warning: The days are getting shorter in October. It's to dark to walk before 8.00 until they move the clocks back at the last weekend in October, and sunset is around 6 pm...!

Yes, and the last weekend of october we have in Spain the change to winter timetable, so days get even much shorter.

Buen Camino, and very beautiful in octobre with the fall ...

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

I'm thinking of doing the camino in October and I'm curious if this is still a good time to do the walk. I'm wondering if the weather will still be OK and if the trail is less crowded. Anyone have any experiences from an October camino that they wanna share??
Hi, I planned a trip for this August, now have work commitments so looking at October-did you finally complete your walk?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
PacificSwin,

October/November are GREAT months to walk the Camino! The weather is generally fine and it is easy to find a bunk. Be sure to scan this recent 2013 thread by others and I who have walked at this time for some further practical tips.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back