• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in September or October

FrankBurke

Time of past OR future Camino
San Sebastian to Bilbao (2010), Sarria to Santiago (2013)
I am planning on undertaking the coastal Camino from Porto in mid-September or mid-October. I would be grateful for an insight into what the weather will be like for walking at these times. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me, the weather was great - got hot by the afternoon, but not intolerably so; brisk in the mornings. Only one rainy day, and it was a drizzle. I walked the last 1/2 of Sept. For me, ideally, the early part of Oct. would be even better, when it was even a bit cooler.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I find poncho's are ineffective without rain pants. The rain tends to wick down your legs and into your boots.

I did wear a rain jacket last year during the one storm and found I became more wet from perspiration that rain. I would have been better off with rain pants and tee shirt, just letting the Tee get wet.

A poncho is a single use item. It is only good for rain. A rain jacket and rain pants double as insulators. I don't carry long underwear and one less layer on top. If I get cold I don my rain gear.

So in the end I recommend rain jacket and pants and no poncho. BTW I just returned from an 11 day trek with the Boy Scouts in Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. We were rained on 6 of the 11 days there. Both heavy rain and hail. The Boy Scouts recommended rain jacket and pants not a poncho, worked well.

Buen Camino

I find poncho's are ineffective without rain pants. The rain tends to wick down your legs and into your boots.

I did wear a rain jacket last year during the one storm and found I became more wet from perspiration that rain. I would have been better off with rain pants and tee shirt, just letting the Tee get wet.

A poncho is a single use item. It is only good for rain. A rain jacket and rain pants double as insulators. I don't carry long underwear and one less layer on top. If I get cold I don my rain gear.

So in the end I recommend rain jacket and pants and no poncho. BTW I just returned from an 11 day trek with the Boy Scouts in Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. We were rained on 6 of the 11 days there. Both heavy rain and hail. The Boy Scouts recommended rain jacket and pants not a poncho, worked well.

Buen Camino
Terrific advice, thanks! I will be walking the coastal route in Portugal from September 23rd until mid-october. I was debating the rain issue. I figured I needed the rain pants, but was wondering about a poncho. Sounds like the wind makes a poncho relatively less useful and it is a single-use item as you say. Thanks again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If we are going down the rabbit-hole of rain gear, I throw my $0.02 in and recommend a rain kilt over rain pants. Pants are better in cold and windy weather. Otherwise, kilts are more convenient, take up less space in the pack and give nearly the rain protection of pants. your walking shoes and feet are going to get wet regardless of what you wear.

Interesting points: 1. Your feet WILL get we whatever you do. I don't suppose that's a problem unless the extra water causes chafing and blisters. 2. Pants better for cold and wind.... Which is what I might find on coastal route in October.

And I dont care if my legs get wet, and my shoes dry quickly enough (whatever you do your feet will get wet). I always take a poncho, it also doubles as a pack cover , and ground or seat cover. Its a personal choice thing. I almost never wear rain pants even in NZ (although they are great for water blasting) . I wear shorts on Camino, and skin dries quickly. Lightweight running shoes or hiking sandals, I never wear boots either, as I have always walked between May-October.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on undertaking the coastal Camino from Porto in mid-September or mid-October. I would be grateful for an insight into what the weather will be like for walking at these times. Thanks!

Have you firmed up your dates?

I am doing the same coastal route from Sept 26 to Oct 11. Your dates?

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back