• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Inglés - crowded conditions, Aug. 2021

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2016), Primitivo (July 2018), Portuguese (March 2019)
My friend Ton and Ria who run Albergue Ponte Ferreira 27 km after Lugo are saying that the Primitivo is just crazy at the moment. They are booked out until I don't know when.

I'm also a member of many Facebook Camino groups including one about the Primitivo and everyone is saying the same. Book, book, book! That's the only way to go. I did the same in June when I walked the Salvador and Primitivo not because there were many pilgrims, there wasn't, but because so many albergues were still closed.

I personally would walk a different Camino if heading out now. September looks to be a busy month too!
Probably not the right thread to post to but we’ve just finished the Inglés today and everything appears to have been fully booked. Normally we’d book one or two days ahead at most but this time we booked some weeks ago but even then we had difficulty finding accommodation. If the Primitivo and the Inglés are full, I can’t imagine what it’ll be like on the Frances.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Probably not the right thread to post to but we’ve just finished the Inglés today and everything appears to have been fully booked. Normally we’d book one or two days ahead at most but this time we booked some weeks ago but even then we had difficulty finding accommodation. If the Primitivo and the Inglés are full, I can’t imagine what it’ll be like on the Frances.
Thanks I booked my accommodations already for later this month. How was your Camino? This will be my first Camino, and do you have any suggestions for the Ingles?

Did you find that all accommodation was open, or is supply restricted?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks I booked my accommodations already for later this month. How was your Camino? This will be my first Camino, and do you have any suggestions for the Ingles?
Unlike the Frances, there are long stretches without bars or other eateries to stop into if you get hungry. I made sure that I packed a good lunch and hearty snacks after Pontedeume, which was where we ended our first day from our start in Ferrol.

Booked to start the Inglés on the 20th Sept. Luckily we've already booked our accommodation 😊

Unlike the Frances, there are long stretches without bars or other eateries to stop into if you get hungry. I made sure that I packed a good lunch and hearty snacks after Pontedeume, which was where we ended our first day from our start in Ferrol.
Thanks! I was thinking of taking plenty of water & snacks but I will pack up some lunches as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, it was a lovely Camino, weather was great etc. From conversations with others it seems that everyone has accommodation but all had booked in advance. My impression was that those that were open were very busy, though whether that was because of COVID restrictions or simply demand, I’m not sure. My suspicions are that there is restricted supply and reasonable demand. Re COVID, masks are not required outdoors but a surprisingly large number of local people wear them outdoors even whilst exercising. In enclosed spaces of course, masks are compulsory. Coming from the uk where masks outdoors haven’t been required for quite some time (and no longer required indoors either) it was quite a shock. Most people in the uk follow the science and still wear masks indoors where likelihood of contamination is highest but very few wear them outside where the chances of catching COVID are very low.

We’re now en route to Finisterra via Muxia and it seems that conditions here are pretty much the same here as the Inglés. But it’s raining 😢.

Ah, should have mentioned that bars and restaurants all appear to be open. There’s typically 5km+ between them so carrying a small snack and half a litre of water is a good idea but there’s no danger of running out of energy. It’s a short Camino with no really serious ups and downs, nothing to compare with the first day on the Frances or the Norte for example. There’s plenty of tarmac but also lots of paths through woods and small forests on earthen tracks. Trainers are more than sufficient for example. It’s a very peaceful Camino, sensible (typically 25km) between evening stops and not many people walking. It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I’m sure you’ll find the same.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just generally a little disappointed that there is o much 'weli in advance' booking of (sometimes) the entire route.
More like just another holiday than the pleasure of spontaneity and the joy that can come with it (as well as the odd tough time). Nevertheless BC
Me too! A great pity. I do hope that people made direct booking with the owner and not use booking.com, which means that the operators don’t get their full pay.

Just generally a little disappointed that there is o much 'weli in advance' booking of (sometimes) the entire route.
More like just another holiday than the pleasure of spontaneity and the joy that can come with it (as well as the odd tough time). Nevertheless BC

Me too! A great pity.

You do not have to book ahead. You can still remain spontaneous. If you cannot find lodging for the evening after arriving at your end-of-stage walk, you can call for a taxi and transport to a location which does have space available, even if that involves travel backwards to Ferrol or A Coruna, or to a town well off of the Camino Ingles. Then take a taxi back to where you left of the next morning.

Taxis back and forth are not the ideal, but it is a viable alternative if unplanned spontaneity of finding lodging will help you feel more attuned to the 'Camino Vibe'.

The Ingles does not have the same infrastructure capacity for lodging as does the Frances or Portuguese. Like the Norte, the bigger towns are tourist destinations and the tight availability of accomodations is not just a recent phenomenon.

Some parts of the Ingles, depending on the distance one plans to walk in a day, may have little lodging to offer, period. The stage between Betanzos and Hospital de Bruma is an example. Hospital offers one teensy alburgue, perhaps made teensier with the need to decrease their already limited bed space for COVID (if they are even still open). Taking a taxi from Hospital to O Mesón do Vento for lodging, and then back the next morning, has been happening for a long time.

Again, for those who love the idea of spontaneity, or want the cross-your-fingers tingling thrill of the 'will they or won't they' lodging chase, you do not have to give that up. You just need to broaden your expectations, and encompass out-of-the-box lodging choices.

Jill and I planned the stage out of Betanzos to walk through Hospital de Bruma, and continued on to to A Rua in order to stay at the Casa Rural DonaMaria. A long 24 mile / 38.5 Km day that saw us consume all 6 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we had packed, in addition to the 2 stops at the only bars along the way. :)

Yes. .Casa Rural DonaMaria is that good; and although spendy, was a great place to be indulgent at, and to treat ourselves to.
1628197045428.png

1628196801471.png
1628196844114.png1628196928993.png

1628196896364.png
1628197109299.png

Attachments

• 1628196753832.png
    1628196753832.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah, should have mentioned that bars and restaurants all appear to be open. There’s typically 5km+ between them so carrying a small snack and half a litre of water is a good idea but there’s no danger of running out of energy. It’s a short Camino with no really serious ups and downs, nothing to compare with the first day on the Frances or the Norte for example. There’s plenty of tarmac but also lots of paths through woods and small forests on earthen tracks. Trainers are more than sufficient for example. It’s a very peaceful Camino, sensible (typically 25km) between evening stops and not many people walking. It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I’m sure you’ll find the same.
Thank you for all of this!

Well, we are still in the middle of a pandemic. I'm sure that things will change eventually.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.