• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles- a few comments on bits of a winter walk

Caminando

Veteran Member
The beginning of this way is rather urbanised. Its not inspiring on a very wet and stormy day.

Coming into Pontedeume turn right after the bridge to the Antiguas Longas to find the albergue. I think these are old storage depots from earlier times. Tel 981733039 or 630 609 756 to have it opened. I was the first this year, so if you want a quiet time come in Feb.....I saw no other pilg on the way. This alb is in a superb location on the waterfront; there is no kitchen, no blankets, no heating and no charge. For a bit of warmth on a cold wet windy day, I could have used the Hostal Luis, Calle San Augustin 12 for 12 euros tel 981430235. But I was coñmmitted to the alb so no complaints. Ponte is interesting and a nice 13 k from Nera; a good place to stay a day - in summer that is.

From Ferrol the yellow arrows ranged from good to poor to non existent; in Fene, they vanished totally, at a crossroads. I searched the likely ways to no avail. I didnt have a guide book incidentally. But flechas are a bonus and not a right so thats ok.

Miño, like every alb at this time,needs you to have a phone to get the place opened. If there is no number there, find and phone the Proteccion Civil. They are nice people.

Talking of nice people , its tough to see the Spanish being impoverished by fraudulent bankers (no extraordinary rendition for them of course) visible in the number of properties to rent/for sale/neglected as well as stalled building projects. Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Greece and the UK is next to sink. And the US has 50 million in poverty.

Betanzos - no alb but you can use the sports hall. There is no cooker, mattresses or blankets and no light at night. But nobody said a camino would be luxurious so thats just fine. Its dry, and it has a roof so you can stop there quite happlly.

So in answer to those who PMd -yes you need a sleeping bag and also a phone - but remember my walk was in Feb and I was the first this year. Later, you may find the albs open.

Yet,winter or not, there were blossoms on trees, in the wind and rain, and I saw a few primroses. Also oranges on trees - and how is possible that I can eat oranges from the tree in Nov on the CP and do the same on the CI in Feb? Beats me, maestro.

Yet the first and last parts of my Feb walk were characterised by wind, rain and low cloud - very low at times! I expected foghorns to sound - now that would have been atmospheric....

I liked this CI. I was there at the worst time of year for weather which at times was a bit difficult..But I was rewarded with a nice walk and when it wasnt raining, the skies were really dramatic. The last part, as has been said elsewhere, is rather less inspiring, but this is our world and its all part of the deal.

Doing this walk again would mean I´d come in summer, for I missed the warmth, but I was rewarded in other ways. You will be too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the info - I shall be in your footsteps in about 5 weeks time, so maybe a few more pilgrims along the way, and a little bit warmer I hope..... :D

Sojourner47 said:
Thanks for the info - I shall be in your footsteps in about 5 weeks time, so maybe a few more pilgrims along the way, and a little bit warmer I hope..... :D

You will have great time, SJ. A few more degrees and less rain will be welcome, but not essential.

Enjoy this fine camino.

PS the bus from SDC to Ferrol to begin your walk is about 10 euros.

After your CI, if you want , you can take the train to Coruña for the day and come back to SDC; thats about 6 euros one way. If you have a day or so to spare after your camino, it's nice to look at the other main port for the CI. Of course its mainly industrial now. Just an idea!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sojourner47 said:

Dear Sojourner and Caminado,
Yes, me too, Scheduled to arrive in SdC on 4th April, then to take the bus to El Ferrol for the CI.
If you are walking the CI ahead of me, perhaps you could write an inspiring message in the Albergue log. Always a spirit lifter.

And this will be my 5th pilgrimage. Every one different, every one valuable for one reason or another.

Bon Camino
Gyro

I intended to walk the CI in 2010, but as they say...stuff happens!

I'm a military historian and find I am drawn to the series of battles fought in this region as the Brits scampered...in good order...out of Spain and onto the ships.

Plenty to see here and I'm sure I'll enjoy the less hectic pace than of the CF.

Buen "All caminos end in SDC" Camino,

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Sojourner and Caminado,
Yes, me too, Scheduled to arrive in SdC on 4th April, then to take the bus to El Ferrol for the CI.
If you are walking the CI ahead of me, perhaps you could write an inspiring message in the Albergue log. Always a spirit lifter.

And this will be my 5th pilgrimage. Every one different, every one valuable for one reason or another.

Bon Camino
Gyro[/quote]

I'm arriving Ferrol March 28th, hoping to reach SDC on the Saturday, returning UK on the 4th April - we may cross paths at SDC airport!!
Buen camino.

I did the CI in August 2010 - very warm and gorgeous days. It's interesting to hear the contrast with doing it in February.
I am a warm weather person (Florida) and plan to do the Camino Portugues this coming summer :)

Arn said:
I intended to walk the CI in 2010, but as they say...stuff happens!

I'm a military historian and find I am drawn to the series of battles fought in this region as the Brits scampered...in good order...out of Spain and onto the ships.

Plenty to see here and I'm sure I'll enjoy the less hectic pace than of the CF.

Buen "All caminos end in SDC" Camino,

Arn

Iḿ in Madrid for apres camino activities. - if you come here, you may like the Naval Museum. Near El Prado, same street.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
JohnnieWalker said:
Buen Camino everyone - I'll be setting off from Ferrol myself on 5th May!
Please paint a few extra arrows as you go :wink: , we will be about 48 hours behind you (DV)

Sojourner47 said:
I'm arriving Ferrol March 28th, hoping to reach SDC on the Saturday, returning UK on the 4th April - we may cross paths at SDC airport!!
Buen camino.

Many thanks. yes I arrive on the evening of 4th April .
So happy trials and do post a message on the site and tell us how you got on
Gyro

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back