• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino ingles as a first timer?

Smyling

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk 2016
Hello.
On this Sunday (the 12th of june) I embark on my first pilgrimage.
I land at 10pm and is planning to get to ferrol early Monday morning and then...well then I start walking. :)
I've read some threads here and a few blogs about camino ingles but there are a few things thst i wonder sbout and that I hope someone might be able to help me with..

* when I land Sunday night can I go straight to ferrol and find accommodation that late or do I have to stay in santiago de compostela for one night?

* this pilgrim passport, can I only get it in santiago de compostela or is there a "pilgrim info desk" in ferrol where this can be picked up?

* i hear that this camino isn't that busy...but I will meet people right? (Just asking because I'm walking on my own)

* do I need to buy all these guidebooks people talk about? I thought that the road will be clearly marked and all the hostels or albergues fairly easy to find?

*what is a good time to arrive at your albergues? When do they (usually) open and close?

I'm really excited about this trip and I know I'm gonna carry this experience with me for a lifetime.
If anyone has some information about camino ingles I would be so thankful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
* when I land Sunday night can I go straight to ferrol and find accommodation that late or do I have to stay in santiago de compostela for one night?

I very much doubt it is possible. Simply leaving the airport will take some time, Ferrol is not close by and services are infrequent. At the very best you could not expect to arrive before midnight. Plan to overnight in Santiago.

* this pilgrim passport, can I only get it in santiago de compostela or is there a "pilgrim info desk" in ferrol where this can be picked up?

There is no such dedicated pilgrim centre in Ferrol. Some people have found credencials at the tourist office but its opening hours seem to vary a lot. If you stay overnight in Santiago the Pilgrim Office should be able to supply one.

* i hear that this camino isn't that busy...but I will meet people right? (Just asking because I'm walking on my own)

"Busy" is a relative term. Far quieter than the Camino Frances but you will almost certainly not be alone, at least at night if you plan to stay in the albergues along the route.

* do I need to buy all these guidebooks people talk about? I thought that the road will be clearly marked and all the hostels or albergues fairly easy to find?

You do not have to buy any guidebooks. The route is very well signposted. You will find most of the practical information you might need in this guide. Some is a little out-of-date but the author is working on a revised version to be made available sometime soon:
http://www.csj.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Camino-Ingles-Master-PDF-Sept-2014.pdf
EDIT: new version is here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-ingles.43/

*what is a good time to arrive at your albergues? When do they (usually) open and close?

Opening times vary. Sometimes 1pm, sometimes 3pm. There is often a curfew around 10pm to allow everyone the chance of a decent night's rest before walking the next day.

Last edited:
Haha! I think you covered all of it.
Great!
Well I guess I'm all set now.
Thank you so so much Bradypus

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just returned from walking the Ingles. There were many pilgrims (although this is relative to what I was expecting). In Betanzos I counted around 25 staying at the albergue, and in Hospital de Bruma the albergue became full fairly early and was turning people away by mid-afternoon. I am sure there will be waves and by doing a long or short stage you might be able to avoid a problem. I was able to walk alone for almost all of the time.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I just finished the Camino Inglais. It was beautiful it was challenging and it was everything and More than I expected. It was my first and I met quite a few people. I did not download Jonnie Walkers guide and I regretted it. If I were you I would down load it. Also get your credential in Santiago, there were pilgrims that could not find one.

The albergues were quite full, but not to worry it all falls into place. It hot on that trail these days so be prepared! I wish I were you and just starting. I wish you the best.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Completed this wonderful walk this day two weeks ago and would recommend it. Travelled on my own at more or less last minute. Met some wonderful people, saw Galicia at its best in early Summer, the scent of of wild mint and wild flowers filling the air. You walk through beautiful landscapes, and towns and villages. I was a little apprehensive about going on my own but almost immediately met people and we walked together into Santiago five days later. Too tired after a busy day at work to write more but if I could say anything, it would be go and enjoy every single step on the way.

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back