• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles - August 2016

Camino Bear

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles August 2016
Camino Frances June 2017 (SJPP to Logrono)
Hello Lovely Camino Friends!

My husband and I booked our travel to walk the Camino Ingles beginning August 9th without knowing that Pope Francis made this year a Jubilee year (a Holy Year). Originally, I had no intentions of booking any rooms and planned on staying in alburgues along the way. This will by our first time walking the El Camino and we chose the Ingles route because it was less traveled and in the hopes of avoiding full alburgues :)

Being August and a Holy Year has anyone had challenges in the 'race to beds' as they call it this season?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Bear! And welcome to the forum!
I have NEVER walked a camino in August - too hot for me! So I can't answer your question: but I hope this may encourage someone to respond.
I walked the Finisterre route this year [too many pilgrims for my liking!!] and would imagine the Ingles will also be pretty busy. Of course it also depends what you mean by "busy". The Ingles won't be like the Francais where you can see other pilgrims in front of you, and behind you almost all the time.
As far as the route is concerned, I walked both 'legs' of the Ingles a couple of years ago - details on my web site, diary, photos etc. which may be of use to you.
So all I can do is wish you a very ....
Buen camino!
And blessings from East Anglia [UK].

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you, Stephen! I'm actually looking forward to running into a pilgrim or two throughout the day! Thank you for sharing about Finesterre as we are considering extending our walk there.

Love and Light,

Camino Bear (Emily)

I have NEVER walked a camino in August - too hot for me! So I can't answer your question: but I hope this may encourage someone to respond.
I walked the Finisterre route this year [too many pilgrims for my liking!!] and would imagine the Ingles will also be pretty busy. Of course it also depends what you mean by "busy". The Ingles won't be like the Francais where you can see other pilgrims in front of you, and behind you almost all the time.
As far as the route is concerned, I walked both 'legs' of the Ingles a couple of years ago - details on my web site, diary, photos etc. which may be of use to you.
Buen camino!
Buen camino!

Hi Johnnie,

Thank you so much for your response and all your work! Bought your guide from CSJ and was so excited when I heard you had just made an update! We will just be flexible about staying in alternate accommodations listed in the guide.

Love and Light

Camino Bear (Emily)

Hi - I've been put on the Camino Ingles recently to update the guidebook. There were lots of other pilgrims around. On the evening I called in the Albergue at Bruma was full at 5pm. To stay in albergues you should set off reasonably early each day. The guidebook lists alternative accommodation.

Buen Camino

John

Considering Holy Year and people worried about the possible new requirement of walking 200km vs the now 100km, I would say there will be more than the average amount of walkers on the Caminos.

(( I need to verify if the kms needed to walk has officially changed.))

See: http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/possible-new-qualifying-distances-for-a-compostela.5337/

If you want a Compostela best you verify if the distance has changed or not. You will need a Credencial del Peregrino to get your Compostela. Best to get two (2) stamps each day in your Credencial del Peregrino.

hi, walked the Ingles this May (2016). The alburgues are small. Had no problem staying in them. But, have no idea how full they will be when you walk in August.
Many private places to stay at if A'berg are full. You could plan the walk, day-by-day, and make reservations in private places.
Possibly put off your walk till later?
Not only increase of walkers cause of Holy Year but I noticed walkers that were concerned about the possible change of 100KM to 200KM to get Compostela.... So, a few were walking to avoid this change. I suspect many more will be doing the same this summer.

See: http://caminoways.com/new-camino-certificate-distance#.V4Ucx1fZZxg

See other posts on this forum for more info regarding possible change of walking distance to qualify for Compostela.

From above link: "This new Camino certificate can be obtained in addition to the traditional Compostela or the Certificate of Welcome, after reaching Santiago de Compostela. The Pilgrims Office has created this new certificate in response to requests from pilgrims over the years. This new certificate includes arrival date, as well as starting date and starting point, the amount of kilometres completed and the pilgrim’s chosen route (Camino Francés, Camino Portugués, Vía de la Plata, etc…). The cost of this new Camino certificate is 3€."

I loved, loved, the Ingles. Actually liked it better than Frances. Wonderful people in all of the towns.

I know it is a no no but stealth camped when I could. Used A'berg for shower, clothes washing, etc. Then stealth camped.

I started in Ferrol. Recommend Hotel Silva. Clean. Good price. Breakfast. Good staff. To hit the Camino from Silva: take left out door. Turn left firs street. Cross main busy street. Keep going straight. Hooks up with the Camino down by traffic circle. or, do as I did and start from the port of Ferrol. Get credential (Credencial del Peregrino) from hotel(s) or TI office in Ferrol.

If you catch bus from A Coruna be sure to catch the express bus. vs the slow stop every where bus. Both leave from the same place in bus station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - there is no change to the 100kms qualification for a compostela for walkers.

I know the kind folk at the hotel silva point pilgrims to a "shortcut" that joins with the Camino as it leaves Ferrol. However if pilgrims do this they miss leaving the port and the harbour steps where I can easily imagine the pilgrims of the past disembarking.

Buen Camino

John

hi John, agree. I started from the Port. The Steps.

Thanks for the update re kms needed to walk for Compostela.

Lots of talk about this when I walked the Ingles in May (2106).

Actually met many who were walking to avoid a possible change.

One could do Port to the "circle" first day. Then do "circle" on ward the next morning from Silva. I met a guy who did this. He was also in the Silva.
I rode the city bus to the port and started from there.

Hi Marty,

Thank you so much for the input and letting me know about the alburgues this May. Glad you enjoyed your Camino so much!

Love and Light,

Camino Bear Emily

Considering Holy Year and people worried about the possible new requirement of walking 200km vs the now 100km, I would say there will be more than the average amount of walkers on the Caminos.

(( I need to verify if the kms needed to walk has officially changed.))

See: http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/possible-new-qualifying-distances-for-a-compostela.5337/

If you want a Compostela best you verify if the distance has changed or not. You will need a Credencial del Peregrino to get your Compostela. Best to get two (2) stamps each day in your Credencial del Peregrino.

hi, walked the Ingles this May (2016). The alburgues are small. Had no problem staying in them. But, have no idea how full they will be when you walk in August.
Many private places to stay at if A'berg are full. You could plan the walk, day-by-day, and make reservations in private places.
Possibly put off your walk till later?
Not only increase of walkers cause of Holy Year but I noticed walkers that were concerned about the possible change of 100KM to 200KM to get Compostela.... So, a few were walking to avoid this change. I suspect many more will be doing the same this summer.

See: http://caminoways.com/new-camino-certificate-distance#.V4Ucx1fZZxg

See other posts on this forum for more info regarding possible change of walking distance to qualify for Compostela.

From above link: "This new Camino certificate can be obtained in addition to the traditional Compostela or the Certificate of Welcome, after reaching Santiago de Compostela. The Pilgrims Office has created this new certificate in response to requests from pilgrims over the years. This new certificate includes arrival date, as well as starting date and starting point, the amount of kilometres completed and the pilgrim’s chosen route (Camino Francés, Camino Portugués, Vía de la Plata, etc…). The cost of this new Camino certificate is 3€."

I loved, loved, the Ingles. Actually liked it better than Frances. Wonderful people in all of the towns.

I know it is a no no but stealth camped when I could. Used A'berg for shower, clothes washing, etc. Then stealth camped.

I started in Ferrol. Recommend Hotel Silva. Clean. Good price. Breakfast. Good staff. To hit the Camino from Silva: take left out door. Turn left firs street. Cross main busy street. Keep going straight. Hooks up with the Camino down by traffic circle. or, do as I did and start from the port of Ferrol. Get credential (Credencial del Peregrino) from hotel(s) or TI office in Ferrol.

If you catch bus from A Coruna be sure to catch the express bus. vs the slow stop every where bus. Both leave from the same place in bus station.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Albergue at Bruma was also full when I passed by on 21st June. There seemed to be lots of pilgrims around at the end of each stage but it never really felt busy during the day thankfully.

Miguel, I walked in May. Was very nice. A'bergs were not full. Guess you met the guy who runs the A'berg in Bruma. He loves to talk.
Good guy. The woman who runs the new cafe/bar/restrurant in Bruma was so nice. Good breakfast there. Good dinner as well.

Camino Bear, best of luck on your upcoming Camino. Appears to be up tick in PG's in the A'bergs (see what Miguel posted above).

You will be fine. may require some planning where to stay each night. But do it.

Martyseville

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

My husband and I booked our travel to walk the Camino Ingles beginning August 9th without knowing that Pope Francis made this year a Jubilee year (a Holy Year). Originally, I had no intentions of booking any rooms and planned on staying in alburgues along the way. This will by our first time walking the El Camino and we chose the Ingles route because it was less traveled and in the hopes of avoiding full alburgues :)

Being August and a Holy Year has anyone had challenges in the 'race to beds' as they call it this season?
I hope it goes well. I pre booked in March -very quiet as expected and hoped. Beautiful walk, the trek through the eucalyptus forests should be fantastic in August. Sufficient shady spots to rest. Have a wonderful time

Buen camino!

We did the Ingles in June and maybe saw 20 pilgrims the entire way...we switched from the Frances to the Ingles when we reached Sarria. The Ingles gave us much solitude and quiet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone! I'm going to start the Camino Ingles on the 27 of July. I join this thread to ask you whether you suggest to call before getting to the albergue or not.
This is my first Camino.
Thank you!

Hi Lorentz hope you enjoy your Camino. From what I understand the albergues arent too full. I couldn't get hold of anyone at the albergue in Pontedueme on my journey but that was early March so I'm sure they will all be open in July. Buen Camino

The Albergue at Bruma was also full when I passed by on 21st June. There seemed to be lots of pilgrims around at the end of each stage but it never really felt busy during the day thankfully.
It seems like albergue in Hospital de Bruma is very popular although the nearest market/pharmacy etc. is 2kms away in Meson do Vento (and 2kms back ;)). I was there on July 4th and it was also full.

I don't know about reservations (they shouldn't be possible in Xunta albergues) but have seen both on Salvador and Ingles this summer that they do accept backpacks sent ahead but only with Correos service. I think that's a reservation isn't it?

You can also do shorter stage to Bruma from Presedo to arrive earlier and have more chance to find place in albergue.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola - none of the public Albergues on the Camino Ingles take reservations. All are only staffed in the late afternoon /evening so there would be no one to accept forwarded luggage. I mentioned this in Bruma and the hospitalera said she didn't mind keeping a bag that was delivered but if the pilgrim arrived and there were no beds left they would have to leave.

HI @Lorentz

You need a phone in case you come to the albergue and no one is there, you need to call the number posted on the door. I walked in springtime so some albergues were closed and I called the hospitarelo to open the albergue. I doubt that this will happen in summer time which is a peak season. But who knows, just in case.

And yes, you can't reserve a public albergue. It's first come, first served basis.

I'll be headed off very soon! I'll report back on the trip. Very excited for my first Camino!

HI CAMINO FRIENDS!

Wanted to post (a rather late update) on my Camino in 2016. First off, the Ingles is a wonderful experience. My husband and I loved the Way so much, we are returning this year to walk for a week on the Frances!

As for the 'beds race' I asking about, it was very clear that last summer was a popular year to walk the Camino Ingles. This made me love it all the more as we met and walked with dozens of people. We did not, however, always get to stay in the municipal alburge. Night one in Neda it was full so we stayed at a Pension and the following day into Pontedueme my husband and I got the last 2 bunks at the municipal alburgue. Both Presedo and Hospital de Bruma's alburgues filled up quickly. There was one bed left in the Betanzos alburgue the night we were there. This all being said, I would not hesitate to take this route or rush and worry about getting to a bed. Perhaps budget to afford a cheap hotel or pension in case you need to make alternate accommodations and if you're walking solo find another pilgrim with whom to share the cost if need be. The Camino provides and the hospileteros, locals, and other pilgrims were heartwarmingly friendly and helpful when we needed it (including finding the Pension in Neda when the alburgue was full).

If you are walking the Ingles, please stop by the restaurant Meson Museo as you walk through Presedo, it's literally off the path the day you walk to Hospital de Bruma. We spent the night in this town and loved meeting the family who ran the restaurant. They made delicious food (from vegetables that they grew in their garden!) and were very hospitable.

Thank you to all who gave their advice and made me feel prepared before I departed on this journey. A special thank you to Johnnie Walker for the guide! And Buen Camino to all!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.