• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles August 2021

Time of past OR future Camino
Inglese 2021
CF started 22022
Hi all! I just completed my Camino Ingles last Thursday. What a wonderful experience. I flew into Madrid and then took the train to Santiago de Compostela, so I could see some of the countryside. I spent an overnight in Santiago de Compostela and was able to see a wedding where peregrinos were tossing rice for the bride and groom. From there I took a bus to Ferrol where I started my walk and where I saw a street art exhibition.

I met a bunch of lovely people along the way. For the most part I was the only non Spaniard I saw, with the exception of one woman from Rome. Even though I do not speak Spanish it wasn't a problem because enough fellow walkers wanted to practice their English with me. And pantomime, good-nature and smiles made up for the rest.

I can't wait to go back.

Regards, Bill
Buen Camino.

Attachments

• IMG-20210822-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210822-WA0002.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG-20210823-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210823-WA0007.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG-20210824-WA0037.jpg
    IMG-20210824-WA0037.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210817_180144.jpg
    20210817_180144.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 101
  • 20210818_181834.jpg
    20210818_181834.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 98
  • 20210820_095308.jpg
    20210820_095308.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210820_171556.jpg
    20210820_171556.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20210821_113641.jpg
    20210821_113641.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 20210823_115752.jpg
    20210823_115752.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 93
  • 20210824_115507.jpg
    20210824_115507.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 124
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
bills_walking,
Glad to learn that your journey was a good one. Thanks for sharing your memories and pics.
Which camino will be next?
Stay safe and Carpe Diem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
bills_walking,
Glad to learn that your journey was a good one. Thanks for sharing your memories and pics.
Which camino will be next?
Stay safe and Carpe Diem.
mspath, Thank you! God willing, I will start the Camino Frances in the spring with a friend and we will meet up with our wives in Pamplona.

Be well, and regards, Bill

Well done Bill! One of my favorite Caminos - so peaceful for most of the way. Great to see the main cathedral steps and door without scaffolding! And loved your other pictures, too.
Greetings from East Anglia, U.K.
Thank you Stephen! Even though I have nothing to compare it to, I think it will be one of my favorites too.

Be well, and regards, Bill

Hi all! I just completed my Camino Ingles last Thursday. What a wonderful experience. I flew into Madrid and then took the train to Santiago de Compostela, so I could see some of the countryside. I spent an overnight in Santiago de Compostela and was able to see a wedding where peregrinos were tossing rice for the bride and groom. From there I took a bus to Ferrol where I started my walk and where I saw a street art exhibition.

I met a bunch of lovely people along the way. For the most part I was the only non Spaniard I saw, with the exception of one woman from Rome. Even though I do not speak Spanish it wasn't a problem because enough fellow walkers wanted to practice their English with me. And pantomime, good-nature and smiles made up for the rest.

I can't wait to go back.

Regards, Bill
Buen Camino.
Thank you Bill for sharing. I will be starting the Camino Ingles on Oct 10th, my second Camino. Great pictures!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Bill's_Walking . Great pictures, thank you. I have a question for you. I will be walking the Portuguese in October and hope to meet up with my husband afterwards to walk the Inglés. Can you tell me if there are very steep parts to that camino and roughly how long they are - he struggles on hills.

Thanks for sharing your pictures Bill! Any must see places along the way? I’m walking the Ingles this month (God willing)
The bar/restaurant just outside Presedo is interesting, if only for its decoration. There is an entrance to it directly off of the Ingles route.

If the weather is OK there are some beach front restaurant/bars at the beach at Cabanas (just before Pontedeume).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for sharing your pictures Bill! Any must see places along the way? I’m walking the Ingles this month (God willing)
You're welcome! My favorite place along the route was Casa Avelina on the way into Bruma & Mason do Vento. Its run by two charming sisters who really love to take care of you. In Ferrol there is a beautiful street art exhibit, it's not on the way but if you have time its really charming.

Last edited:
Hi @Bill's_Walking . Great pictures, thank you. I have a question for you. I will be walking the Portuguese in October and hope to meet up with my husband afterwards to walk the Inglés. Can you tell me if there are very steep parts to that camino and roughly how long they are - he struggles on hills.
Hi Sue, my wife and I walked the Inglés last month. It’s a very gentle Camino, undulating but no hard or long ups and downs that we noticed, certainly nothing that I can remember that would warrant the term ‘steep’. I’m sure that your husband will be absolutely fine. It’s a lovely Camino.

Hi Sue I was always passed on the up hills. I took them slow and at my own pace. Yes there are a couple of steep parts: The way out of Pontedeume is steep and you go up about 165 meters in short bit of time. And some more steep up hills on the trails later in the day. The way out of Betanzos is also steep, but not as taxing as out of Pontedeume. But after Presedo there is a continuous uphill to Bruma that is not really so bad but it never seems to end, only ease up in parts.

PS as you can see everybody's experience is different too!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You're welcome! My favorite place along the route was Casa Avelina on the way into Bruma & Mason do Vento. Its run by two charming sisters who really love to take care of you. In Ferrol there is a beautiful street art exhibit, it's not on the way but if you have time its really charming.
I think that Casa Avelina is a compulsory visit on the Camino Ingles. You will not find a more friendly and helpful place on the Ingles. They have their own sello and one for the little local chapel that they care for. When you arrive there is barely any time before the footstools arrive to rest your legs. Highly recommended.

I second the Casa Avelina, in As Trevesas, and you can read my story here. Scroll down the page about 2/3rds of the way. Avelina is a Camino mother, if ever there was one! She dotes over you, and when she recognized me, the second time I passed by (in a few days time having done both arms, first from La Coruña and then from Ferrol), she gave me the warmest hug! Like we knew each other for years! See the little church, the Capela de San Roque, supported entirely by pilgrims. She will ask for a small donation, which we gave without hesitation!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sue I was always passed on the up hills. I took them slow and at my own pace. Yes there are a couple of steep parts: The way out of Pontedeume is steep and you go up about 165 meters in short bit of time. And some more steep up hills on the trails later in the day. The way out of Betanzos is also steep, but not as taxing as out of Pontedeume. But after Presedo there is a continuous uphill to Bruma that is not really so bad but it never seems to end, only ease up in parts.

PS as you can see everybody's experience is different too!
I would like to piggyback here. Like Bill, I struggle on hills. I have never given birth, but I think you might get the picture! Once you are at the top, you forget about it. An experienced walker friend told me: pace yourself, don't keep up with anyone. Do not pretend to be looking back for the view... 😁
actually, on the mentioned hills, it is so worthwhile to stop and look back. Just remember to move on!

In addition to the Casa Avelina, the beach at Miño, the Praia Grande de Miño, is lovely! Most pilgrims don't stop in Miño, but there is a nice albergue there and lots of other places to stay. It is not too resorty, but if you like the beach, this is a grand one. We took our way slowly, because we were walking with a friend with Parkinson's, and I saw so much more than I would have normally. See our third day, for photos of all this.

And yes, the restaurant in Presedo, the Meson Museo, as @miguel_gp recommends, has fabulous food and showcases the artwork of the proprietor. You can enter this place from town and the albergue there, or if you are passing through, the Camino walks right by it. This would be an excellent place for a stop along the way!

Thank you, Bill! My husband and I walked the Ingles in the fall of 2019, and have been haunted by it ever since! Your message brought it all back: being joined by goats on the ramble between Ferrol and Neda, the wonderful Praia da Madalena, lovely Mino, Meson-Museo Xente, and, yes, definitely, Casa Avelina. We arrived there in driving rain, and immediately, we were ushered to a table beside a warm stove, footstools were brought to us, warm, dry towels were draped upon our shoulders, our rain gear was spread out to dry, and wonderful cafes con leche and fresh olives appeared. I was so grateful for the care and generosity and have often thought about the two wonderful sisters who run this place and hoped that they were well.

We wanted to return to Spain in 2020 and walk the Frances, but, sadly, that didn’t happen. We’re now hoping for the fall of 2022. Thanks again for your wonderful post and Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Just adding a link to my Camino recollections on FindPenguins. With photos of my feet up and the two sisters at Casa Avelina:

Last edited:
Just adding a link to my Camino recollections on FindPenguin. With photos of my feet up and the two sisters at Casa Avelina:

Oh Lord, how could I have forgotten those two ladies! That was the day of the rain! And a lovely dinner later on where we met two other forum members with their daughter...

I can't wait to go back.

Regards, Bill
Buen Camino.
Thanks for sharing Bill. Love your photos and especially your Injinji socks -love them and have been using them for nearly ten years..

Hi @Sue127 - A few years ago, when I was only 73, I walked the Inglés and found a couple of places that were a bit steep. But slow and steady worked well for me, as well as a few stops along the way to look back, as mentioned, to see the fabulous views... I always made it to the top. Also, as mentioned, DO stop over in Miño and go to the beach! I LOVED Miño! Actually, I may do the Inglés again in 2022...
Buen Camino!

Hi @Sue127 - A few years ago, when I was only 73, I walked the Inglés and found a couple of places that were a bit steep. But slow and steady worked well for me, as well as a few stops along the way to look back, as mentioned, to see the fabulous views... I always made it to the top. Also, as mentioned, DO stop over in Miño and go to the beach! I LOVED Miño! Actually, I may do the Inglés again in 2022...
Buen Camino!
Thanks for the encouragement @OTH86 , slow and steady will be the way. My OH will make the decision a bit nearer the time. Roughly how many km/miles did you walk each day? We're looking at around 10km, if there is suitable accommodation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Sue127 Here's an eight-day agenda from my blog:
  • Day One ~ Ferrol to Neda, 14.04 Km (8.72 Miles)
  • Day Two ~ Neda to Pontedeume, 14.5 Km (9.01 Miles)
  • Day Three ~ Pontedeume to Miño, 10.9 Km (6.77 Miles)
  • Day Four ~ Miño to Betanzos, 11.28 Km (7.01 Miles)
  • Day Five ~ Betanzos to Presedo, 11.26 Km (7.06 Miles)
  • Day Six ~ Presedo to Hospital de Bruma, 12.97 Km (8.06 Miles)
  • Day Seven ~ Hospital de Bruma to Sigüeiro, 24.46 Km (15.2 Miles) (I also offer suggestions on how to break up this long day if desired, click here for the web page.)
  • Day Eight ~ Sigüeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 16.25 Km (10.1 Miles), also click here to break up this day if needed. The Hotel Castro is about halfway from Sigüeiro to SdC.
Wishing you a very successful Camino!

@Sue127 , here's my 2017 Ingles -- and perhaps 2022 one as well ;-)
My route and distances will be different from the current route in some cases…
  1. Ferrol - Neda, 14k
  2. Neda to Pontedeume, 14.5k
  3. Miño to Betanzos, 10.7k
  4. Betanzos to Presedo, 12k — I called Meson Novo (pension) in the small town of Meson do Vento southwest of Presedo. They picked me up (free if I booked with them for two nights) and took me back to Presedo in the morning. Then I walked from Presedo to Meson Novo for the 2nd nite)
  5. Presedo to Meson Novo, 13.5k - some elevation gain, not too bad, if slowly. I believe there is another route that may be a bit longer at 16.5, that ends at Hospital de Bruma where there is an albergue. Current signage probably points towards Bruma, and not the way I walked - which is in the guide that Johnnie Walker wrote in 2016.
  6. Meson Novo to CR Anton Veiras, 10k - This is a very nice place. I believe there is now an albergue next to it.
  7. CR Anton Veiras to Sigüeiro, 16k - about 7 k along long, flat, unpaved road - easy, a bit boring, good for contemplation… (please, do not walk along the highway.)
  8. Sigüeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 16.25 Km (10.1 Miles); I stopped at Hotel Castro for a break - nice, quiet place when I was there.
I think you'll be able to find alternative places to stay to make for shorter days.
Buen Camino x 2 x 2!

Thank you @OTH86 , that is really useful information. I’m hoping that we will be able to complete the Inglés together. If not this trip, then another. I will be walking the Portuguese from Porto first and then we’ll meet up and either do the Ingles or go back into France to walk, but not a full camino.

Yes there are steep parts. One just minutes after you have left Betanzos .But it is doable.
on the Portuguese you will face steep parts between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães and later nearby Redondela and more in the direction of Santiago.
bom caminho

@Sue127 Here's an eight-day agenda from my blog:
  • Day One ~ Ferrol to Neda, 14.04 Km (8.72 Miles)
  • Day Two ~ Neda to Pontedeume, 14.5 Km (9.01 Miles)
  • Day Three ~ Pontedeume to Miño, 10.9 Km (6.77 Miles)
  • Day Four ~ Miño to Betanzos, 11.28 Km (7.01 Miles)
  • Day Five ~ Betanzos to Presedo, 11.26 Km (7.06 Miles)
  • Day Six ~ Presedo to Hospital de Bruma, 12.97 Km (8.06 Miles)
  • Day Seven ~ Hospital de Bruma to Sigüeiro, 24.46 Km (15.2 Miles) (I also offer suggestions on how to break up this long day if desired, click here for the web page.)
  • Day Eight ~ Sigüeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 16.25 Km (10.1 Miles), also click here to break up this day if needed. The Hotel Castro is about halfway from Sigüeiro to SdC.
Wishing you a very successful Camino!

@Sue127 Hopefully these will be of help to you. If you use the towns and distances from Elle's schedule (quoted above) you should be able to work out where the hills come in relation to those stages and a rough idea of the gradient.
  • Ferrol to Pontedeume
FerrolToPontedeume.PNG
  • Pontedeume to Betanzos
PontedeumeToBetanzos.PNG
  • Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma
BetanzosToBruma.PNG
  • Hospital de Bruma to Sigüeiro
BrumaToSigueiro.PNG
  • Sigüeiro to Santiago de Compostela
SigueiroToSantiago.PNG

Thanks @Albertinho. It is the Ingles that I really needed to know about slopes, so that's helpful, thank you.
Hi Sue! Go to my web site: https://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago and half way down the page you'll find Pilgrimage IV made in 2014 - both legs of the Camino Ingles. There are two links there - one for my diary, one for my photo album. Enjoy! And let me know how you get on!
Buen camino, Sue!
Steve in East Anglia, UK.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sue! Go to my web site: https://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago and half way down the page you'll find Pilgrimage IV made in 2014 - both legs of the Camino Ingles. There are two links there - one for my diary, one for my photo album. Enjoy! And let me know how you get on!
Buen camino, Sue!
Steve in East Anglia, UK.
Great website to watch again Stephen and happy memories we met in Santiago by then.
best regards from this side of the North sea
Albertinho and Nel

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.