• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles - changes to the route - Sigüeiro - Santiago

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

There have been recent press reports in Galicia about changes to the final stage of the Camino Ingles from Sigüeiro - Santiago.

I walked this stage today and I am happy to report that the local authorities in consultation with the local Amigos have now re-routed a major section of the Camino away from the main road. Now the routes passes along quiet country roads and paths until 4.5 kms before the Cathedral in Santiago.

I will walk the section again in a week or so to check the mileages as some of the waymarks have been moved. However the overall distance of 16.5kms has not changed for this stage.

I will rewrite the last section of the guide when I have walked it again. In the meantime for those walking the route in the next week or so I attach revised walking notes.

Buen camino

John

Attachments

• Sigüeiro - Santiago.docx
    16.7 KB · Views: 166
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks John - I have passed this onto friends who will be walking this route in two weeks time.

I just took a look at this John, and it looks like there's a major chunk of description missing, roughly between where you cross the N550 at Agualada and the Poligono (Telsis). Is that intentional? AFAICS the route Sigueiro-Agualada hasn't changed - is that correct?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Peter - it is a major change to this section. Whereas previously the route went out onto the N550 and basically followed it until turning inwards to to the Poligono it now turns away from the N550. I will walk it again in a week or so and give precise walking directions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I see there is an update to this section but when I click on the link you mention John, it just takes me to the Camino de Invierno guide... am I missing the obvious? I have the update you did on the 9th August, will that be sufficient or is the new one more complete? If so, where is it?
Thanks a million. Judy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Brilliant. Thank you so much. We are aiming to do Ferrol - Santiago from 23rd to 30th September. Will let you know how we get on and of course, will post some photos. Judy

This is such good news! I love the Ingles, but dread that last bit along that highway/industrial park.
Thank you John for your stalward stewardship, and hats off to the waymarkers who engineered this improvement.

Reb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Johnnie,
Approximately how long will this walk in the revised route take? We'd like to be able to make it to the Pilgrims' Mass at noon at the Cathedral, especially since we plan on arriving at SCQ on Sunday, Oct 21. Can we make it if we start off at about 7.00am? - Maria

Hola - I make it about .5kms shorter than the previous route = 16 kms from Sigueiro to Santiago. I walked it in exactly 4 hours at an average pace. If you are going to take breaks you will need to build these in.

Buen camino

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've added this to my mapping http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/e/2448.html - at least, following the route obvious on both the IGN maps and the satellite/aerial photos, though I can't entirely match this to John's description, particularly in the area marked 'Coirogal' (whatever that means) on the map. It would be good if people walking this could confirm whether it's correct or not, and then I'll replace the old route with this new one.

If this is correct, the map measurement is some 700m shorter, say 10 mins or so shorter.

Maria

i walked the Ingles a few weeks ago with my two sons and followed the new route which was, for the most part, pleasant. We left Sigueiro after watching the running of the bulls in Pamplona so we must have left at around 8.20. We arrived at the cathedral well before 12 o'clock Mass. It must have been at around 11.30. We didn't rush but kept up a steady pace. You should make it easily. It's a lovely journey. Enjoy it

Harry

That's a relief! as I'm not such an early riser ;-). Besides, we walk in mid-October and read somewhere that sunrise in those parts wouldn't be until sometime past 8:00 am.

Thanks for the info, John and Harry!

whilst looking for something else entirely, I came across a gps track for the new route, put up just a couple of days ago. This is identical to my guess, so I'm assuming this is correct and have replaced the mapping.

Completed Ingles yesterday
Guide worked for me!
However a couple of points (well everything changes so quickly)
Leaving Ferrol the Bar Taxchera at start of road of that name is called "meson Prieto" (pass it on your left, up n wall is street name
Where JW mentions a fork in the road in the stage to Betzanos he mentions that the Tile has been removed, It seems that the waysign is no missing as well. I don´t have his guide in front of me but just in case it does not say then go left UPHILL not right downhill - even if your legs want to ;-)
Leaving Betzanos after crossing little bridge and the road directly ahead, go left at house no 28 NOT 38 (when I was there there was a car parked in front of the wall with the arrow)
Note that when leaving Betzanos the street lights end after about half an hours climb at which point you are in patchily moonlight forest - so if leaving early, beware!
Bar Julia was open Sunday. When I arrived at noon there were plenty of locals in bar, so I expect it is normally open then.
I was thinking of busing to some Galician towns (Pontevedra,Vigo,?) But have been bitten by the bug and am off to Finisterra and Muxia! haha
Buen Caminos

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Forgot to say there is a diversion on day one. Take it it is well posted and soon rejoins route. The original path has been ploughed up and is almost unwalkable

Diversion on day 1... is this Ferrol > Santiago or La Coruna > Santiago? I've heard rumours too that there is a shortcut over a railway bridge over the ria on the way out of Ferrol... Is this for real or not. Has anyone heard of it?
Judy

judydaisy said:
I've heard rumours too that there is a shortcut over a railway bridge over the ria on the way out of Ferrol... Is this for real or not. Has anyone heard of it?
Judy
Hi Judy,

I'd not heard of it before but looking at what is mapped on OpenStreetMap there appears to be a footpath/cycle way running adjacent to the Railway. This would cut about 7km off the designated route around the estuary. Not quite sure why anyone would want to though :wink: It crosses the estuary just at the point where the official route has left the suburbs of Ferrol and then skirts the estuary for the most part, so it is very pleasant walking.

Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting... in view of the last 2 posts, we will be sticking to the guide especially if the route has begun to leave the city behind at this point and hey, we have all day to get to Pontedeume! But does anyone know about the diversion that seems to have been set up somewhere en route the 1st day. Does it go very far out of the way?
Cheers
Judy

I walked the Camino Ingles ending on 4th sept
Diversion before Cananas/Pontedueme
At page 38 of JW's guide at Cafeteria Volar do Colo diversion across road goes to right then immediately left past factories. It turns left after a short walk and goes behind the factories to rejoin the path coming from the left.
It is only a short diversion and possibly slightly shorter than the route but the route across the minor road after the "delightful off-road track" has been ploughed up and is awful walking. The diversion meets the original path with good signposting.
Diversion before Sigueiro
At page 65 of JW's guide after Televes building at bottom of road there is roadworks (impassable). Go diagonally left through park. Waymark in a 100 metres as go over a small bridge. You then walk past swimming pool on your RIGHT. At corner cross to Centro Cultural and you are back on track.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for that Al.
Judy

Hola

There have been recent press reports in Galicia about changes to the final stage of the Camino Ingles from Sigüeiro - Santiago.

I walked this stage today and I am happy to report that the local authorities in consultation with the local Amigos have now re-routed a major section of the Camino away from the main road. Now the routes passes along quiet country roads and paths until 4.5 kms before the Cathedral in Santiago.

I will walk the section again in a week or so to check the mileages as some of the waymarks have been moved. However the overall distance of 16.5kms has not changed for this stage.

I will rewrite the last section of the guide when I have walked it again. In the meantime for those walking the route in the next week or so I attach revised walking notes.

Buen camino

John
What does KSO stand for? Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back