• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in 11 Days

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I am going to be walking the Camino Ingles with Uncle Bob (who will be 90 next year) in 11 days starting from el Ferrol on 11th June.

We are meeting in Ferrol on the 10th June and will walk to Neda the next day. We've tried to keep the distances down to less than 15km per day but have one day of 16. If we can't make it that far we will call a taxi to take us to Sigüeiro and will return to that spot the next day to continue walking.

I have started booking accommodation as we will be staying in hotels or inns (no albergues) and will use taxis to shuttle us to the path if necessary. We will also have our bags transported.

If anyone would like to join us on this 'slow Camino' please send me a pm for more details. Uncle Bob loves to have a beer at the end of his walk and a nice local meal in the evening, and I am a boring old teetotaller and vegetarian). I think he would welcome some other company on the route!

11 Ferrol - Neda 12km
12 Neda - Pontedeume 13
13 Pontedeume - Miño 10
14 Miño - Betanzos 8
15 Betanzos - Leiro 14
16 Leiro - Bruma 14
17 Bruma - Ordes 14
18 Ordes - Sigüeiro 16
19 Sigüeiro to the 9km mark 9
20 9km mark to Santiago 9
Santiago

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This will be an "improved" Caracoles walk, since last year the daily distances were often too short.
I would have loved to participate again, but will be walking stretches of the Sardinian Cammino Santu Jacu during June.
Ultreia!

Interested to see Leiro and Ordes as stages. We too are looking at Ordes. Sending you a PM Sil.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am going to be walking the Camino Ingles with Uncle Bob (who will be 90 next year) in 11 days starting from el Ferrol on 11th June.

We are meeting in Ferrol on the 10th June and will walk to Neda the next day. We've tried to keep the distances down to less than 15km per day but have one day of 16. If we can't make it that far we will call a taxi to take us to Sigüeiro and will return to that spot the next day to continue walking.

I have started booking accommodation as we will be staying in hotels or inns (no albergues) and will use taxis to shuttle us to the path if necessary. We will also have our bags transported.

If anyone would like to join us on this 'slow Camino' please send me a pm for more details. Uncle Bob loves to have a beer at the end of his walk and a nice local meal in the evening, and I am a boring old teetotaller and vegetarian). I think he would welcome some other company on the route!

11 Ferrol - Neda 12km
12 Neda - Pontedeume 13
13 Pontedeume - Miño 10
14 Miño - Betanzos 8
15 Betanzos - Leiro 14
16 Leiro - Bruma 14
17 Bruma - Ordes 14
18 Ordes - Sigüeiro 16
19 Sigüeiro to the 9km mark 9
20 9km mark to Santiago 9
Santiago

Thanks for this useful information. I just was busy reading in all useful information when I saw your message so this is the red thread for me and my wife starting mid of May next.
Give uncle Bob our regards.. Hope to walk another camino at the age of 90 as well :)

Baie dankie !

Last edited:
I shall be walking this route in August but taking 6 days over it. My companion will be very interested in the bag transfer aspect of it, so if you have specifics I would be interested in hearing. I would also be interested in your non albergue stops in Leiros and Ordres.

A couple of changes to note in hotels.

Ferrol: Barceló Amirantes is now the Carris Amirante and the web address is
http://www.carrishoteles.com/en/hotels/ferrol/hotel-carris-almirante-ferrol.html/
Hesperia Hotel is now the Gran Hotel and the web address is
http://www.granhoteldeferrol.com/
Betanzos: The Compleje San Roque is now the Palacete Betanzos and the web address is
http://www.hotelpalacetebetanzos.com/ EDIT This has changed once again to
http://www.hotel-palacetebetanzos.com/en/

All these hotels are in the same location with the same phone number just a change of ownership (?) with name and web changes.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah, Adrian - it would've been great to you and Bob together again! Some people who wanted to do a 'Caracoles' walk this year didn't want to walk more than 5km per day. I might organize another Caracoles next year.

Jacotrans are now providing baggage transfer on this route. Contact José Luis Pardo Rodríguez at jacotransleon@gmail.com

Booking.com has a special on at the Hotel Carris Amirantes in June - €49 for a double room.
I also used Booking.com for the Palacete Betanzos - €40 for a double room

Sillydoll, were you already able to book at hostal Miras in Siguiero for your group? Will they take bookings so much in advance? If so I will call them for my Camino in April.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tried to book that one through Destina.com and the reply was:

we have not found this hotel features a selection on this planet or in the universe. :)

There are a couple of hotels between Siguiero and Santiago. We might book into one of these for two nights and commute metween the hotel and the path. Hotel San Vicente is 10km from Santiago which would be just right for us on our last day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll look forward to hearing about your Camino, Sil! One thing I thought was quite demanding about the Ingles was the relatively few options for staging posts if you want to do relatively short stages (I'd got a stomach bug on the way over so would have liked to do it a bit more slowly than I did!). My girlfriend would like to do a short Camino at a leisurely pace so I may look into the itinerary you're planning to see if something similar might work for us.

I spent some time last night searching this site - Turgalicia. It takes a little knowledge re places en route to limit the number of responses, but has plenty of information.
Sil - I'll send you the list I have worked out as promised.
Tyrrek, we shortened the stages by using both albergues and private accomodation last time, and took 9 days so nearly the same as Sil is planning. This time we are planning to use just private accomodation and short stages too - 9 or 10 days maybe.

I booked us into a hostal which is about 4kkm from Sigüeiro and 10km from Santiago - Hostal San Vincent. I don't think it's cheap (not by South African ZAR standards!) but it is the perfect distance for our last day. http://www.hotelsanvicente.com/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I booked us into a hostal which is about 4kkm from Sigüeiro and 10km from Santiago - Hostal San Vincent. I don't think it's cheap (not by South African ZAR standards!) but it is the perfect distance for our last day. http://www.hotelsanvicente.com/

I looked into that one too. Google streetview doesn't show much cafeterias/ bars around that hotel so one is bound to stick to the hotel...?

I will be staying there in a few weeks. Will report back.

Andy

It is 9km between Hotel Os Carballos (north of Sigueiro) and Hotel San Vincent. This might be an option for us. Os Carballos and Siguerio.jpg

Ordes to Os Carballos on the Rua Iglesia and N550 is also 9km.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I spent some time last night searching this site - Turgalicia. It takes a little knowledge re places en route to limit the number of responses, but has plenty of information.
Sil - I'll send you the list I have worked out as promised.
Tyrrek, we shortened the stages by using both albergues and private accomodation last time, and took 9 days so nearly the same as Sil is planning. This time we are planning to use just private accomodation and short stages too - 9 or 10 days maybe.
@ Tia Valeria. Would you be so kind to share your information with us all on this thread who are intending to walk the camino Ingles very soon please ?
Like us it seems there are more people who are looking for shorter day stages and all information is most welcome.

All your info is most welcome. We will start in Ferrol about mid of May 2014.
So we hope to read from you.

Best regards from the Netherlands

Tio Albertinho.

What about Hotel Barreiro in Leria. It is about 12.5 km from Os Carballos but I'm not sure if it is on the path?

Hotel San Vincent sent me this email:
Good morning,
Our hotel offers a transport service from 9 places for the collection and return of pilgrims to the same point totally free for pilgrims heading, so distance is no problem.
Regards
Maria.

It might be worth asking all the hotels on the route if they offer the same service. Then one could walk exactly 10km per day and be picked up on the route and taken back the next day. On the 'Caracoles Slow Camino' we spent 2 or 3 days in the same place and shuttled back and forth between the town and the path. It worked well and we didn't have to carry our packs on those days or have them transported.

@sillydoll - Is this the same Hotel Barreiro that is signed off the Camino? maybe 2kms off the Camino. I thought it was near Fraga. Is Leiro here the district rather than the village?

@Albertinho - This is very much preliminary research on the various sites. I am a little reluctant to make recommendations as such before walking and trying the places to see if they are pilgrim friendly, good value, have food etc. but will post here when we do know. This might not be soon enough for you. Have you downloaded Johnnie's donativo Camino Inglés guide? that has some already tried and tested accomodation.
If you know how long you plan to take, stages etc I might be able to make more suggestions. PM us if you prefer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@sillydoll - Is this the same Hotel Barreiro that is signed off the Camino? maybe 2kms off the Camino. I thought it was near Fraga. Is Leiro here the district rather than the village?

@Albertinho - This is very much preliminary research on the various sites. I am a little reluctant to make recommendations as such before walking and trying the places to see if they are pilgrim friendly, good value, have food etc. but will post here when we do know. This might not be soon enough for you. Have you downloaded Johnnie's donativo Camino Inglés guide? that has some already tried and tested accomodation.
If you know how long you plan to take, stages etc I might be able to make more suggestions. PM us if you prefer.
Thanks auntie Valeria ! I understand what you say. I am collecting now everything about the Ingles, read it, store it and put things together to be prepared when we will start walking. I read John Walkers guide partly and will download it as a matrix .However the stages are too long for us so in between we are looking for additions.
So all information will be more than welcome.
We do not know yet when we will be starting. We will leave home end of april, beginning of May, drive to Ferrol with our car and caravan , find a campingsite .
the nearest is north of Ferrol . The journey will take about a week and a half because I donot like more than 400 kms a day driving and sometimes we stay another day for sightseeing. We like to walk not more than a maximum of 20 kms per day , better less. So about 6 or 7 days will do. We have plenty of time and after finishing in Santiago we probably drive to Cee to go to Fisterre and Muxia and from there we are going south to Portugal for camping and sightseeing as far as Lisbon and from there to Salamanca and on to the north back home .We counted to stay away about 2 month.

I have now booked or emailed requests for 12 double rooms with private bathrooms in June:

10th, Ferrol: Carris Amirante through Booking.com €49
11th, Ferrol to Neda: 10 or 12km - Sent an email to Hostal Maragoto in Neda - http://perso.wanadoo.es/pensionmaragoto/ €38
12th, Neda to Cabanas: 12.6km - Hotel Sarga – Cabanas – Booking.com €49
13th, Cabanas to Mino: 10km - Sent email to B&B O Cantiño - carmelabanda@hotmail.com
14th, Mino to Betanzos: 9km - Booked Palacete Betanzos through Expedia - €40
15th, Betanzos to Leiro - Will try Hotel Barreiro http://www.hotelbarreiro.com/
OR: Abegonde (10km from Betanzos) http://hotelreserva.blogspot.com.es/ for Pension Casa Manolo
16th, Abegonde - Bruma: 10.9km : Meson do Vento - Two nights booked through Booking.com. €43
17th, Bruma to Ordes: ± 12km : Meson do Vento
18th, Ordes to Siguerio: 12.3km : Hotel San Vincent two nights. http://www.hotelsanvicente.com/
19th, Sigueiro to the 10km mark. Hotel San Vincent will fetch us and take us back the next day
20th, 10km to Santiago 10km: Hospederia San Martin. reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu €23 single €40 double

I'm really not sure of the mileages but I think we will manage! If it works out I'll let you know.

I think I've made a boo-boo with the 3rd and 4th day. Tia is helping me to sort it out. I'll let you know the corrected plan once I've got it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have now booked or emailed requests for 12 double rooms with private bathrooms in June:

15th, Betanzos to Leiro - Will try Hotel Barreiro http://www.hotelbarreiro.com/
OR: Abegonde (10km from Betanzos) http://hotelreserva.blogspot.com.es/ for Pension Casa Manolo
16th, Abegonde - Bruma: 10.9km : Meson do Vento - Two nights booked through Booking.com. €43
17th, Bruma to Ordes: ± 12km : Meson do Vento
18th, Ordes to Siguerio: 12.3km : Hotel San Vincent two nights. http://www.hotelsanvicente.com/
19th, Sigueiro to the 10km mark. Hotel San Vincent will fetch us and take us back the next day
20th, 10km to Santiago 10km: Hospederia San Martin. reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu €23 single €40 double

I'm really not sure of the mileages but I think we will manage! If it works out I'll let you know.
I think this might work Sil.
15th Betanzos to Cos (church of San Esteban) transport to Pension Casa Manolo Abegondo
16th Cos (church) to Casa Julia (Meson Novo)
17th Casa Julia to Bruma/to Meson Novo +2kms uphill
18th Bruma to Hotel Barreiro (Leira) signed off the Camino, transport to and from needed. Note- There is a Leiro before Casa Julia with no accomodation.
19th to San Vicente etc

Sent you a PM Sil and still hunting for our map sections.

I think this might work Sil.
15th Betanzos to Cos (church of San Esteban) transport to Pension Casa Manolo Abegondo
16th Cos (church) to Casa Julia (Meson Novo)
17th Casa Julia to Bruma/to Meson Novo +2kms uphill
18th Bruma to Hotel Barreiro (Leira) signed off the Camino, transport to and from needed. Note- There is a Leiro before Casa Julia with no accomodation.
19th to San Vicente etc

Sent you a PM Sil and still hunting for our map sections.

Hello Val & Sil been following this thread with great interest, because of my concerns on my ability to communicate for booking places or getting transport when i need to in Spanish. You see my wife is happy to walk with me, but she would prefer the comfort, to stay in hotels. We are not young, nor are we fast walkers, though we ramble every weekend at home between 7 to 12 miles . As I say, I am quite nervous of not being able to make myself understood and ruining the whole experience for her.
Do you think if we just walk the Ingles we could find appropriete acomodation on route ?
Am I worrying too much?

Last edited:
In 2011 this was my (Valerie's) first Camino and Terry's second. We kept the distances down to around 15kms a day and basically used private accommodation without booking ahead, except for the 'pick up/drop off' night at O Meson Novo which we booked before leaving Betanzos. We did not need a taxi as all the accommodation was on the Camino, apart from the Meson Novo. They do speak some English. One way to book ahead is to ask your hosts to book next night for you and could either offer to pay for the call or let them call with your mobile. So long as Don Antonio knows if you want collecting from Casa Julia this should work OK.
Do you have Johnnie's CSJ guide (download for donation) as it lists both albergues and private accommodation, as wel as the places Sil has posted above. We will post any others we find personally when we have checked them out. Are you going late or early May? It was beautiful in May 2011 (you can see blog posts for then if you want an idea of what it was like).

In 2011 this was my (Valerie's) first Camino and Terry's second. We kept the distances down to around 15kms a day and basically used private accommodation without booking ahead, except for the 'pick up/drop off' night at O Meson Novo which we booked before leaving Betanzos. We did not need a taxi as all the accommodation was on the Camino, apart from the Meson Novo. They do speak some English. One way to book ahead is to ask your hosts to book next night for you and could either offer to pay for the call or let them call with your mobile. So long as Don Antonio knows if you want collecting from Casa Julia this should work OK.
Do you have Johnnie's CSJ guide (download for donation) as it lists both albergues and private accommodation, as wel as the places Sil has posted above. We will post any others we find personally when we have checked them out. Are you going late or early May? It was beautiful in May 2011 (you can see blog posts for then if you want an idea of what it was like).

Thank you Valeria ,we intend to go very early June, stay in overnight in la Curuna if we miss the last bus to Ferrol, then leave ourselves plenty of days (10/12) to soak in the journey, the church's and other people locals and pilgrims. Hopefully learn a little of the language on the way too. Would it be OK to PM you about O Meson Novo?

From my notes when I walked the route in 2009:

One map said 22km from Bruma to Sigueiro, the CSJ Guide says ± 24km and Benino said that it is 26km.
"The CSJ guide says, á pretty straightforward day´ and they are not kidding. It was really heavy going with long, straight, tarred or gravelled roads through endless forests. It reminded me of walking through Les Landes on the Via Turonensis route.
There were a few hamlets to pass through but nothing opens until around mid-day so we didn´t have a coffee opportunity. By the 15km mark my feet were starting to hurt underneath, something I´ve not had before."

Casa rural Dona Maria is 8km from Bruma. I contacted them and they replied:

Hola Sylvia, nuestra casa rural esta en el camino ingles en la parroquia de Buscás (A Rua) del Ayuntamiento de Ordes, el camino pasa por delante de la casa, estamos a 8 kms. del Albergue de Bruma. Las habitaciones dobles tienen un precio de 55 euros/noche con el desayuno incluido.

Google:
Hi Sylvia, our house is in the English way in the parish of Buscás (A Rua) Ordes City Council, the road passes in front of the house, we are 8 kms from Bruma's Shelter. The double rooms are priced at 55 euros / night with breakfast included. www.casadonamaria.es/ reservas@casadonamaria.es

With Valeria's help, I think this will be our new itinerary - trying to keep the mileage down to 12km and under per day.

1) Ferrol - Neda 12km Pension Maragoto
2) Neda - Cabanas 12.6km Hotel Sarga
3) Cabanas - Mino 9km B&B O Cantino
4) Mino - Betanzos 9km Hotel Palacete Betanzos
5) Betanzos - Cos 8.5km (sleep in Abegonde) Pension Casa Manolo
6) Cos - Bar Julia 10km Meson do Novo
7) Bar Julia - Bruma 11km Meson do Novo
8) Bruma - Ordes 8km Casa Rural Dona Maria
9) Ordes - Os Carballos 11.5km Hotel San Vincent
10) Os Carballos - San Vincent 8.5km Hotel San Vincent
11) San Vincent - Santiago 10km Hospederia San Martin

Sil, are you basing your Ferrol to Pension Maragoto 12km from the Carris Hotel or from the Marina?
I have some doubts on the CSJ Guide's mileage for the stage Ferrol to Pontedueme and have expressed them to John. Most Spanish guides show a distance 29 or 30 kms rather than the 25 km of the CSJ. I have just plotted the routes using GPS Visualizer on both Google Maps and OpenStreetMap. Both of my routes come out as 14.3 km to the Albergue at Neda rather than the 13 km indicated in the CSJ guide and a further 15.3 km to Pontedueme. Thus I agree with the Spanish guides that the mileage is 29 to 30 km in total.

I have planned a 2 km walk from the Ferrol bus station, having arrived there from SdC, down to the marina and then a further 14 km to Neda on my first day and the second part to Pontedueme on the next day. I would be interested in your take on your first day distance.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Blackdog - I agree with your distances to Neda and Pontedueme. 14km and 29km are given in the Cicerone guide which I used and they felt right to me last summer.
All: I'm a bit of a late arrival to this thread, but another place worth checking is the lists on the xacobeo website. For instance, go to this page,
http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/stages/bruma-sigueeiro
click on 'accommodation and restaurants' and three place options are provided which you can search.
Cheers, tom

I am basing the mileage from the hotel (I think ;)) to Neda and then to the Cabanas, not to Pontedueme itself.

Why does the route go to Neda and not across the bridge to Fene?
Is it a non-pedestrian bridge or is it to take pilgrims to the albergue in Neda?
Or, is it to make the route longer so that one will earn the Compostela?
Google shows a walking mileage of 13.9km from the Hotel Carris to the Hotel Sarga in Cabanas crossing the Ave Pias bridge and 21,4 crossing the bridge to Neda - only 8km longer so one would still walk 100km to Santiago.
Ferrol to Neda or Fene.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good question. A Ponte das Pias (The Pias bridge) has a pedestrian way. I have not ever walked it , but I remember having seen fishers standing there.

Sil - Ha! the bridge question is one you will likely return to in June as you trudge around the bay observing these possible short-cuts! We covered some of this subject in a couple of threads a few months ago.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/i-have-just-completed-camino-ingles.20471/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ingles-from-ferrol-–-notes-thoughts-pics.20460/

My summary would be:
Yes the N651 Pias bridge to Fene does have a pavement for pedestrians (which you can observe from the bus if you are coming from Santiago I think), but almost certainly brings the route below 100km and misses Neda. The next bridge is for the Feve railway and there is an informal pathway that locals use (joining at the church of St Martin de Xubia) to walk over to the other side. I was with three Spanish pilgrims who knew about the path and took it. I reckon you are over 100km with this one, but you'd have to back-track a little for Neda.
The next bridge is for the auto pista and there is no access to it for pedestrians.
The walk to Neda is not IMHO an exhilarating start to a camino, but if you look for the good points you should find a few!

I am basing the mileage from the hotel (I think ;)) to Neda

I put it on OpenStreetMap today and you are correct from the hotel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Neda is the 100km point and the track goes round the head of the ría, off your map. Using the bridge may cut the route shorter by more than the 8kms and by bypassing the albergue at Neda gives a long day to Pontedeume. OK if staying in private accomodation in Fene.
The discrepancies between Ferrol and Neda arise I think from which route is taken through Ferrol itself. The route along the waterside is longer but some folk cut through town from the harbour and again, I think, from the tourist office past an industrial area so cutting off a few kms. We walked the 3kms from the harbour round past the naval college to the big roundabout near the information centre and our hotel (Zahara), then walked from the hotel next morning again via the scenic route to Narón and enjoyed it.

@Tia Valeria I plotted the route that @JohnnieWalker give in the CSJ guide. It is more difficult to do that in Google Maps as some of the pathways are not there. OpenStreetMaps show all the tracks and paths making it an easier to task to get an accurate figure. It's interesting that, as you say, there are a variety of routes you can take out of Ferrol just getting to Neda around the head of the bay, never mind the alternative 'short cuts' across one of the bridges. I intend to try to follow the CSJ posted route in August by walking down to the Marina from the bus station and then on to the Kensington Hotel for the first day. I prefer 20 km days which might stretch to 25km but not to 30km if at all possible. Which is why I was interested in the difference in opinions on the Ferrol to Pontedueme distance as 25 km might be acceptable to me but 29 km is not.

Thanks for your experiences.

David, wouldn't it be great if you could compile a map book from OpenStreetMaps for the Camino Ingles, showing all the tracks and paths!! I'm sure the CSJ and Johnnie would be really grateful! I know I would!:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@BlackDog . We don't use an online map for our Caminos but have a fairly accurate pedometer, plus the Mapas Militar (Ordinance Survey) onwhich we later plot some of the routes to try to check distances. This is OK on roads but not so easy in towns or across field/woodland tracks. On the Inglés for all except the first stage we found the pedometer distances and Johnnie's guide coincided.
Pedometer gave the following - for the scenic route:-
Harbour to Hotel Zahara (near information centre) 3kms
Zahara to Hotel Kensington, Narón 12.8kms
Narón to Pontedeume 18kms (If you stay at the albergue in Neda add 2kms after Narón and deduct 2kms from this stage to Pontedeume)
Does that help? Hope so
Buen Camino

Thanks Tia...! The first night I will stay in Hostal Marcial , close to the Kensington in Naron. Gives me a good idea about the distances.

David, wouldn't it be great if you could compile a map book from OpenStreetMaps for the Camino Ingles, showing all the tracks and paths!! I'm sure the CSJ and Johnnie would be really grateful! I know I would!:)
Well, I made a start with 2 GPX traces: Ferrol to Xubia (Neda Albergue) and Xubia to Pontedueme.

I intend to trace the rest in the next few weeks. I use a tablet on Camino and the gpx files give me the ability to look at the traces using an app on the tablet. I'd have to look at how a map book would be feasible using the OpenStreetMaps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
EDIT
OK, I just realised that you can't see the html files after a day as they get flushed from the GPSVisualizer server every night. So I have removed the refernces and will created another thread with a guide of how to load the gpx files into GPSVisualizer and see the resulting maps.
/EDIT
With many thanks to @JohnnieWalker without whose guide I wouldn't even be at 1st base!
If there any mistakes or observations please let me know and I'll try correcting them o_O

I forgot to mention that in the top right hand corner of this map page you can select OpenStreetMap (MQ) which is the map that I used to trace the route.

Last edited:
Profile camino Ingles 2.jpg

This is an old profile map we picked up in 2009. I've got a few more stage profiles from a website but I can' remember which one! Its enough to give you nightmares!!! :-(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My memories of walking the Ingles must have been fuzzed with time. I don't remember all those ups and downs. Looks scary!

This is an old profile map we picked up in 2009. I've got a few more stage profiles from a website but I can' remember which one! Its enough to give you nightmares!!! :-(

The problem is that the vertical scale is in metres and the horizontal in kilometres but using the same spacing so it's all squashed together. Even the later charts you've displayed are not using equally spaced scales so they can't compare stage with stage. It's difficult to do, at least for me, and Excel says it's to complicated when I try to graph it as one chart. At least the stages give su a good idea.

At least the second set look better than the first one ;). Maybe a rough idea (if using the CSJ guide) could be:-
views = hill
good views = steep hill
cardiovascular excercise = long steep hill, stop for rests. :)
The two that stick in our minds are; the hill out of Pontedeume, one and a half kms with bends on granite setts; the hill up into Betanzos centre after the gate/archway in the old wall. After Casa Julia was less fearsome than we expected, but we did start from the fuente at the bottom after a night at Meson Novo.

This set look less intimidating http://www.gronze.com/el-camino-ingles/etapas/etapa-1-ferrol-pontedeume
(Edit) This set are all up shown with a height scale to 500mts+ so give a much better idea of comparative hills from one strip to another.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The problem is that the vertical scale is in metres and the horizontal in kilometres but using the same spacing so it's all squashed together. Even the later charts you've displayed are not using equally spaced scales so they can't compare stage with stage. It's difficult to do, at least for me, and Excel says it's to complicated when I try to graph it as one chart. At least the stages give su a good idea.

Yes, I generated the second set of profiles using Google Earth a little while ago and they are not scaled in terms of height to distance (I don't think there is an option to do this exactly but you can adjust the height of the graph manually to make it a little more realistic) but they were just intended to give an idea of the terrain.

I still have the kmz files for these (and for the revised route into the Poligono) which I can upload here if anyone is interested in downloading them?

Regards
Mig

Another old hand out

Camino Ingles(2).jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Mig, that was very useful to check against my GPS mapping. If anyone cares to see I have mileages against the stages and waypoints against the main accommodation places. http://caminodavid.net/caminomap.html

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I looked into that one too. Google streetview doesn't show much cafeterias/ bars around that hotel so one is bound to stick to the hotel...?
I stayed there in August last year and although there were no cafeteria nearby I was served a wonderful menu del dia by the mother of the manager. One could jump on the bus which stops opposite the hotel to go back to the town for a meal and buy provisions then come back by bus. There is a rundown church nearby which opens sporadically (as most churches on the Camino Ingles) and there is a distinct lack of spirituality in visiting the outside of these locked churches and walking on the unmown grass around the church.

Just a brief update on the 11-day Camino Ingles.
The initial plan was for me to walk the Ingles in 5 or 6 days as a recce walk for next year's group walk.
Then it was changed to an 11-day walk for Bob and me. I booked two single rooms at 12 places (including Santiago)
Then we gained one more peregrino and Bob's single room was changed to a double and we were three.
Then my husband agreed to come with us so my single was changed to a double and we were four.
Then a new lady decided to join us so I booked another single room and we were five.
Then my cousin was 'called' and asked to join us so the single was changed to a double and we were six.
Then another lady joined us and she is booking a single room for herself and we were seven.
Then an 80 year-old lady asked if she could join us but she is waiting to see if her sister will come as well and will then book a double for them and we will become 9 or ten.
Anyone else want to join us before all the rooms are taken at the hotels, pensions and casas along the way :) ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One gal from here in Az is going with you! Buen Camino!

Yahoo - can't wait to meet you!!! Let me know if you need help with those room bookings!

Just a brief update on the 11-day Camino Ingles.
The initial plan was for me to walk the Ingles in 5 or 6 days as a recce walk for next year's group walk.
Then it was changed to an 11-day walk for Bob and me. I booked two single rooms at 12 places (including Santiago)
Then we gained one more peregrino and Bob's single room was changed to a double and we were three.
Then my husband agreed to come with us so my single was changed to a double and we were four.
Then a new lady decided to join us so I booked another single room and we were five.
Then my cousin was 'called' and asked to join us so the single was changed to a double and we were six.
Then another lady joined us and she is booking a single room for herself and we were seven.
Then an 80 year-old lady asked if she could join us but she is waiting to see if her sister will come as well and will then book a double for them and we will become 9 or ten.
Anyone else want to join us before all the rooms are taken at the hotels, pensions and casas along the way :) ?
What was the date again you start walking @sillydoll ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are meeting in Ferrol on 10th June. Start walking on the 11th and will arrive in Santiago on 21st June.
Some of the group will meet in Santiago and travel to Ferrol together.

We are meeting in Ferrol on 10th June. Start walking on the 11th and will arrive in Santiago on 21st June.
Some of the group will meet in Santiago and travel to Ferrol together.
Okay. Then we probably won't meet you.
We drive with our car to Ferrol,starting 27th of april. The trip with our camping trailer will take us about a week and a few days later we will start walking. So maybe around the tenth of May
Give our regards to uncle Bob.
Best regards to you all and buen camino
Albertinho

Stay warm and dry! Last year in May it was freezing in Galicia with lots of rain and muddy paths.
Decided to start later this year!

€60,-
I would really have LOVED to meet up with you both, Sill, but I'll be there a little before you, starting in La Coruna on 16th May, then bus up to Ferrol on around 20th.
I've allocated three weeks to this camino!!!

Buen camino .... and blessings from Suffolk ....

I would really have LOVED to meet up with you both, Sill, but I'll be there a little before you, starting in La Coruna on 16th May, then bus up to Ferrol on around 20th.
I've allocated three weeks to this camino!!!

Buen camino .... and blessings from Suffolk ....
Are you staying in the albergue of Hospital de Bruma or in hostal Meson Novo in Meson do Vento Stephan ?

Nothing like being popular Sylvia! :) I might be around Santiago when you finish, but am not sure yet as although I start on May 11th I am still undecided as to what "Plan A" might be, and who knows how it will change as the walking evolves. Still If I am there at the same time I will get in touch. It would be lovely to meet you (assuming you don't mind). You will enjoy the Ingles. It was my first Camino and I suppose it's like your first love - you never forget it. Enjoy a lunch on the beach at Pontedueme if you can.

€60,-
Are you staying in the albergue of Hospital de Bruma or in hostal Meson Novo in Meson do Vento Stephan ?
My "plan" - but it's only a "plan" ;) is to be in the albergue in Bruma on the nights of May 18th and againn on 24th May.
Only four weeks to go now, Albertinho!

My "plan" - but it's only a "plan" ;) is to be in the albergue in Bruma on the nights of May 18th and againn on 24th May.
Okay Stephan. We think to go to the hostal Meson Novo with the pick up setvice at bar Julia

Yes in 10 days we will go. Friday 25th we will go The backpacks have been packed

We will keep an eye on the wheater in Galicia.

Best regards from sunny Rotterdam

We will be there the following Sunday Stephen will be sorry to have missed you! Hopefully maybe in September at the meeting with Valeria?:)

In Santiago now. The Ingles is beautiful but demanding time to time. Unfortunately I had to take a taxi from Siguiero to here but nevertheless it was a beautiful Camino. And I was very glad to meet Ivar today.

In Santiago now. The Ingles is beautiful but demanding time to time. Unfortunately I had to take a taxi from Siguiero to here but nevertheless it was a beautiful Camino. And I was very glad to meet Ivar today.
Did you stay in Sigueiro or justed passed through
Sabine ?

Hi Albertinho, I stayed the night at hopedaje Miras. Miras is indeed a very basic hostal but the friendliness of the owners is sooo wonderful. They insisted I would see a doctor and they asked the cabdriver to wait for me. Can also recommend the albergue in Hospital de Bruma!

Hi Albertinho, I stayed the night at hopedaje Miras. Miras is indeed a very basic hostal but the friendliness of the owners is sooo wonderful. They insisted I would see a doctor and they asked the cabdriver to wait for me. Can also recommend the albergue in Hospital de Bruma!
Thank you Sabine. I add this to my list.
Best regards
Albertinho

I prepared a list today of all what I read on this forum with addresses,phonenumbers etc.
I add this to John Walkers guide and the CI part of Cicerones guide Caminos do Norte.
My only concern is the steep hill after bar Julia to Hospital de Bruma. How bad is that ?
I am recovering from a knee injury which occurred during our last years caminho Portuges walk.

I found a lot of extra information among others at Spanish websites but no information about that particulairy steep hill so maybe it is only my fear.

I, too, have been concerned about the hill after Bar Julia and found this blog which seems to do a nice job of describing the route: http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/2013/02/feb-15-2013-betanzos-to-bruma-day-3.html
Thanks for the link to the travelblog. I read it carefully and think their is no reason for any fear.
I learned some other things too about lodging so am looking forward to start within about 4 weeks from now.
Albertinho

Thanks for the link to the travelblog. I read it carefully and think their is no reason for any fear.
I learned some other things too about lodging so am looking forward to start within about 4 weeks from now.
Albertinho

Buen Camino!

Btw if someone might find a light blue striped cotton scarve on the etapa from Betanzos to Bruma...you can pick it up and wash it and maybe give it to someone who needs it. Was obviously not paying attention...Ecosystem will thank you...;-)

Will post four of my five walking days here. Still have to find the one from Ferrol to Naron back and will post that later. The last etapa I did not finish due to illness.
Hope it can be of use to someone.
Naron to Pontedeume
http://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRa3RySjdUMUZPQW8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Pontedeume to Betanzos
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRVnNIZU5lQ3FHLVk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Betanzos to Bruma
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRbEU1UFJISGRJRUE/edit?usp=drivesdk

Bruma to Siguiero
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRNjRIZFlDRThQVnc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Will post four of my five walking days here. Still have to find the one from Ferrol to Naron back and will post that later. The last etapa I did not finish due to illness.
Hope it can be of use to someone.
Naron to Pontedeume
http://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRa3RySjdUMUZPQW8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Pontedeume to Betanzos
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRVnNIZU5lQ3FHLVk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Betanzos to Bruma
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRbEU1UFJISGRJRUE/edit?usp=drivesdk

Bruma to Siguiero
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bypuf11wz1XRNjRIZFlDRThQVnc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Great Sabine ! Where did you stay in Hospital de Bruma ? In the albergue or in Meson Novo ?

Did to go from bar Julia by taxi to Bruma and next day back or did you go direct to Bruma ?

I stayed in the wonderful albergue in Bruma with the lovely hospitalero Benino.
Did the whole trek in one go.

You walking both the legs to Bruma then Stephen?
Al - so sorry - I've ony just seen your last note!!
Yes - I plan to walk both legs of the Ingles.
Being well and truly retired, time is my own: there is no rush and I'm taking three weeks off.
That'll give me time to enjoy a few cafes and bars ... hopefully other peregrinos ... and all the wild flowers and animals.
Three whole weeks. And all I need think about is "Where shall I eat?" and "Where shall I sleep?"
I feel so sorry for all those guys and gals who still do that thing called "work" !:D

Btw Bar Vizoño is now definitely closed. So the only option from Betanzos to Bruma for food and drink is Bar Julia.
Pay attention at the riverside just before Bar Julia, arrows are gone.

It was nice to meet you too! Too bad I had a busy day that day, would have been nice to have taken a coffee... :-(

Thanks for sharing Sabine we are realy updated now with your pictures
Memorias felizes. Santiago... Remember we arrived last year at the backside of the church and thought.. Is this all ? Later we discovered the big plaza. In front of the church. Ha ha

Can't wait to go back

One week to go before we set off to Ferrol.
Un saludo from this side of the Maas

Al - so sorry - I've ony just seen your last note!!
Yes - I plan to walk both legs of the Ingles.
Being well and truly retired, time is my own: there is no rush and I'm taking three weeks off.
That'll give me time to enjoy a few cafes and bars ... hopefully other peregrinos ... and all the wild flowers and animals.
Three whole weeks. And all I need think about is "Where shall I eat?" and "Where shall I sleep?"
I feel so sorry for all those guys and gals who still do that thing called "work" !:D
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1397831508.093729.jpgpacked. Ready to go !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have been on the path for 5 days and so far the stages have been more-or-less correct. There are many signs and waymarks and we haven't felt lost once - thanks Johnnie.
The first day (only 12km) took us over 7 hours and everyone thought that we had walked further than 12km. The Pension Maragota was fine (€34) but the rooms were 50 steps up, tiring after a hot day of walking. It has been hot every day and by mid--day it is in the 30's. We hired Jacotrans to transfer our luggage from place to place (€4.50 per bag per day).
My husband Finn has walked the Sarria-Santiago route and is adamant that this route is much more challenging than the Frances. There are more hills and they are all quite severe.
We walked 12.6 km to Cabanas the 2nd day and enjoyed some time on the beach. The Hotel Sarga (€57 incl b/fast) was comfortable and only 250m from the beach and the camino path.
We walked 9.5 km to Mino on day three. When we arrived we discovered that the Hostal Brisa was 2.2 km out of town up hill on the N165. We decided to take a taxi. The Hostal owner , Monty, reminded us of 'Ramon' in the movie The Way, eccentric, forgetful and, as the afternoon progressed, he became completely drunk! The rooms looked comfortable but the net curtains were in tatters, the bath towels threadbare and the hook for the towel in our room fell off as soon as Finn hung it up. We ordered dinner for 7pm and at 8:30 pm Carmen (the wife) arrived back from the supermarket and started cooking!
The next day we walked back towards Mino on the main road for about 500m and after crossing a bridge found our way back onto the Camino. The hills were quite tough, especially the one after the golf course, but we arrived in Betanzos around 1pm (+- 10km) and stayed in town for a while before checking into the Hotel Palacete. (€40 - €50)
Today we found our way back to the Camino path and walked 7km to Cos. We stopped at the curch for a while and then I asked a woman to direct us to Abegondo and soon we were on the main road for a 4km walk to our night's accommodation, Casa Manolo, a really nice 'motel' (€30) about a km down from the cross-road into town.
Tomorrow we will get taxis back to Cos and walk to Casa Bar Julia. We have booked rooms for 2 nights and it will be interest to see how the shuttle with Antonio works out this time!
Great walk so far.

The Sarria to Santiago bit is nowhere near as challenging as some of the other parts of the Frances, but I think I would agree that parts of the Ingles are possibly as challenging as any part of the Frances.

Today we got a taxi back to Cos and started walking from there. It was a lovely days walking through rural hamlets and forests. There were one or two short hills and a tricky little dirt path up to the ridge before going down to the road and Casa Julia. Antonio fetched us and 20 min later we were in our rooms at Meson do Novo. There is no restaurant here so we had a late lunch at a place at the other end of the town. There is a farmacia, a couple of banks (incl ATMs) and two small supermecados.
Tomorrow Antonio will take us back to Casa Julia and we will walk to Bruma from there.

So glad to see the journey is going well. Safe travel to all. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back