• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Inglés in February 2022

Laundoner

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés - September 2019
Inglés - February 2022
Greetings everyone! I am planning starting the Camino Inglés this weekend, from Ferrol. I am wondering if there are many people doing this route in February or if we will be the only ones on the road.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think you will have a lot of company. The weather this year is fabulous for walking, cool and sunny. It's as if winter never really arrived! Still, this is a low-traffic time for the Way.
I walked the Ingles in February several years ago with three friends, and in five days THREE storms came ashore, big enough to have NAMES. I have never been so wet in all my life! We called it the Monsoon Camino, and swore to never again walk in Galicia in February. But we had a whale of a time!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings everyone! I am planning starting the Camino Inglés this weekend, from Ferrol. I am wondering if there are many people doing this route in February or if we will be the only ones on the road.
Not till April, for reasons mentioned:) May you have good weather all the way to Santiago! Buen Camino!!

Thank you all very much for your prompt and helpful replies. Yes, I know this weather very well. Having been born here, and residing in London, I am already well seasoned. But with the Galician winter equivalent to a British autumnal Indian Summer, this should not be a problem.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Enjoy. Many albergues closed in January. Few cafes open. At least one day 25k nothing open.
Very pleasant though

We walked the Ingles in Sept of 2019 and we barely encountered 10 other pilgrims at any given time. There were very few walking and we seldom encountered anyone twice or for any repetitive length of time as one would on other routes. It was an enjoyable route however and we walked slowly, staying at a variety of accommodations along the way. Enjoy your walk, I'm envious as my Camino this year only begins in June!

Laundoner, it would be wonderful if you post here on the Forum about your upcoming Camino Inglés and let us know about your experiences along the way! I'm looking forward to going through the same route in May and seeing it through someone else's eyes proves very useful and gives insight on things one might overlook. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino! My granddaughter and I start the Ingles end of May, I believe it is not a super busy camino at any time of the year

Walked in it October last year, we saw about 12 people on and off during the walk, apart from one day when we came across a large group on an organised walk but only saw them for that one day.
An enjoyable walk with some nice landscapes and some lovely places to visit
Buen camino

I walked Ingles last November. 2 days were sunny and lovely but had 2 days with rain and hail. Still, Ingles was drier than the Norte. I saw around 5 people mainly at the lodging. I loved it and going back in March, right after you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laundoner, it would be wonderful if you post here on the Forum about your upcoming Camino Inglés and let us know about your experiences along the way! I'm looking forward to going through the same route in May and seeing it through someone else's eyes proves very useful and gives insight on things one might overlook. Buen Camino!
Good idea. Thank you I will report back. If you don't hear from me, send the cavalry!

We walked the Ingles in Sept of 2019 and we barely encountered 10 other pilgrims at any given time. There were very few walking and we seldom encountered anyone twice or for any repetitive length of time as one would on other routes. It was an enjoyable route however and we walked slowly, staying at a variety of accommodations along the way. Enjoy your walk, I'm envious as my Camino this year only begins in June!
Wow. September 2019. I walked the Francés then and it was quite full. If even in those free and happy times the Inglés only attracted a handful of travellers, I imagine we will have the route to ourselves

I don't think you will have a lot of company. The weather this year is fabulous for walking, cool and sunny. It's as if winter never really arrived! Still, this is a low-traffic time for the Way.
I walked the Ingles in February several years ago with three friends, and in five days THREE storms came ashore, big enough to have NAMES. I have never been so wet in all my life! We called it the Monsoon Camino, and swore to never again walk in Galicia in February. But we had a whale of a time!
Was it 2018? I was the CP that year and rained everyday downpours at times and some sleet. But it still was all good anyway.
I’ll be there towards the end of February starting from Ribadeo To Ferrol and onto Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to see you returning to Spain for another Camino, dear man! I look forward to one day doing the same - may it be sooner than later! MUCH love from Canada, and Buen Camino! :)

Ditto for me! I would very much enjoy reading Laundoner's reports!

Hi everyone! Apologies for radio silence. I kind of went into total isolation and forgot about my good friends.

We had 5 glorious sunny days, without a drop of rain. Most unlike Galicia, but welcome anyway.

The Camino Inglés from Ferrol is very well signposted. The ubiquitous yellow arrows are enough for you to get to Santiago without any maps or GPS aids. I think Santiago, or some helpful pixie, was looking after us, because on three occasions when the sign was out of sight from our path and we missed it, a local immediately corrected us. Incredible serendipity, but the Camino is often like that. Even if we had carried on, we would have eventually re-joined the Camino, anyway. It's practically impossible to get lost.

From speaking to the locals at several points this route is a lot more frequented in the milder months than I was originally led to believe. Winter is, understandably, the least popular. However, we did find some small groups, quite focused and not keen on converstion, and even coincided with a pilgrim at a private hostel in Siqüeiro. At this time of the year expect most albergues to be closed. The ones funded by la Xunta (regional government) seem to be open.

The paths are easy. There is perhaps more road than I would like, but it is not too bad. Most stages are long, 25 to 30 Km, but In particular, Betanzos to Bruma is quite tough due to the uphill walk. Bruma to Sigüeiro is also hard, but not so much.

For the vegetarians amongst us (sorry, some mothers do have 'em/us) Spain doesn't always offer many meat-free options. Please remember that for people who are not used to veggies, the local soup, caldo gallego, is vegetarian because it has no meat. However be aware that it is cooked with pork bones to flavour it. Either have it, anyway, or ask for huevos fritos o tortilla. If you are vegan, then, well, you'll figure it out.

I wanted to remark on the great hospitality of the locals. I was looking at this persimmon tree, already naked for winter, but still loaded with the apparently rotting fruit. I asked a lady in the garden why the fruit as left to spoil in the tree. She said that she had more than she could consume. She asked me to go inside and fetched a stepladder for me to get as many persimmons as I liked. When I stepped down, she also had a bag with 3 dozen kiwis! I was not thinking at the time that I would have to carry all that weight on my back, but carry I did and we feasted on them for the next three days. Always speak to the locals. Specially if they have fruit!!!

Overall, a great experience.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone! Apologies for radio silence. I kind of went into total isolation and forgot about my good friends.

We had 5 glorious sunny days, without a drop of rain. Most unlike Galicia, but welcome anyway.

The Camino Inglés from Ferrol is very well signposted. The ubiquitous yellow arrows are enough for you to get to Santiago without any maps or GPS aids. I think Santiago, or some helpful pixie, was looking after us, because on three occasions when the sign was out of sight from our path and we missed it, a local immediately corrected us. Incredible serendipity, but the Camino is often like that. Even if we had carried on, we would have eventually re-joined the Camino, anyway. It's practically impossible to get lost.

From speaking to the locals at several points this route is a lot more frequented in the milder months than I was originally led to believe. Winter is, understandably, the least popular. However, we did find some small groups, quite focused and not keen on converstion, and even coincided with a pilgrim at a private hostel in Siqüeiro. At this time of the year expect most albergues to be closed. The ones funded by la Xunta (regional government) seem to be open.

The paths are easy. There is perhaps more road than I would like, but it is not too bad. Most stages are long, 25 to 30 Km, but In particular, Betanzos to Bruma is quite tough due to the uphill walk. Bruma to Sigüeiro is also hard, but not so much.

For the vegetarians amongst us (sorry, some mothers do have 'em/us) Spain doesn't always offer many meat-free options. Please remember that for people who are not used to veggies, the local soup, caldo gallego, is vegetarian because it has no meat. However be aware that it is cooked with pork bones to flavour it. Either have it, anyway, or ask for huevos fritos o tortilla. If you are vegan, then, well, you'll figure it out.

Overall, a great experience.
Very happy to hear that your experience of the Inglés was great, dear Laureano! Thanks for your "report". :)

Good to see you returning to Spain for another Camino, dear man! I look forward to one day doing the same - may it be sooner than later! MUCH love from Canada, and Buen Camino! :)
Hey Nathen! I am so glad to hear from you. I'll catch up off forum

Was it 2018? I was the CP that year and rained everyday downpours at times and some sleet. But it still was all good anyway.

I’ll be there towards the end of February starting from Ribadeo To Ferrol and onto Santiago.
Argh! I stayed in Ribadeo at the end of February for a few days! The place I stayed in was just on one of the alternative branches of Camino del Norte

Thank you all very much for your prompt and helpful replies. Yes, I know this weather very well. Having been born here, and residing in London, I am already well seasoned. But with the Galician winter equivalent to a British autumnal Indian Summer, this should not be a problem.
Hello from Maui, still attempting to figure our how to use the forum .Contemplating walking the Ingles this sept. I have the guidebook but since I will be arriving from us, i am not clear as to the nearest city to arrive in to than get on to FerrolI would appreciate input from an experiencer.It will be my first camino. Mahalo, Kathryn

We flew directly into Santiago from the UK and took a bus into Ferrol. Round about an hour or so and gave us a look at the terrain we would be walking through. As Laundoner has said, the route marking is very good. On the one occasion when we went astray in a town centre, a council worker had us follow his 4x4 until we were back on route. Much quieter than other Caminos I've walked but still very enjoyable and enough people to make it sociable.
Buen Camno

We flew directly into Santiago from the UK and took a bus into Ferrol. Round about an hour or so and gave us a look at the terrain we would be walking through. As Laundoner has said, the route marking is very good. On the one occasion when we went astray in a town centre, a council worker had us follow his 4x4 until we were back on route. Much quieter than other Caminos I've walked but still very enjoyable and enough people to make it sociable.
Buen Camno
Thank you very much for this info, I see you flew from the UK direct to santiago,i searched for direct to Santiago from Maui & found none.Good to know the route markings are good.ANyone out therehaving experienced flying in from USA, looking for the suggested city. Aloha,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Warm greetings, dear Laureano! I wish you a safe and happy journey. I'll be with you in Spirit! :)

Thank you very much for this info, I see you flew from the UK direct to santiago,i searched for direct to Santiago from Maui & found none.Good to know the route markings are good.ANyone out therehaving experienced flying in from USA, looking for the suggested city. Aloha,
I flew to Madrid and took a train to SDC where I spent the night and then a bus the next day to Ferrol.

We are thinking of doing this in September, I have never done a walk like this before, is it easy to follow the route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are thinking of doing this in September, I have never done a walk like this before, is it easy to follow the route?
Thank you for your feed back this is helpful.Sincethereis so few walkers would you say accomodations and food availabilities, etc. were close enough together so not to have need for pushing ones self for many extra miles just to find something?

I am walking this route once again beginning July 1 from Ferrol. It is a delightful short Camino. I think the longest stage is the last day into Santiago at about 27K. My recollection is there is one morning that begins with a steep incline, but otherwise very manageable ( and I'm old! ) I'll bringing my son's mother-in-law...pray for me .
If you would like to message me in August for an update, please feel free.
Buen Camino

I am walking this route once again beginning July 1 from Ferrol. It is a delightful short Camino. I think the longest stage is the last day into Santiago at about 27K. My recollection is there is one morning that begins with a steep incline, but otherwise very manageable ( and I'm old! ) I'll bringing my son's mother-in-law...pray for me .
If you would like to message me in August for an update, please feel free.
Buen Camino
Thank you for that input

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back