• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in Jan/Feb. Albergues closed/open?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The albergues in Neda, Mino and Hospital de Bruma are usually open all year round. There is currently a temporary albergue in Pontedeume but I have no information as yet how long it will be open.

Buen Camino - take good rain gear!

John

JohnnieWalker said:
The albergues in Neda, Mino and Hospital de Bruma are usually open all year round. There is currently a temporary albergue in Pontedeume but I have no information as yet how long it will be open.

Buen Camino - take good rain gear!

John

Thanks JW for the continuing work on GuideBooks. And for the info above. Raingear - ah yes...memories of endless drizzle from Balloch to Rannoch in younger years.

My Ingles enquiry is tentative - if I can I will, tho' I really need albs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi I walked this way in feb 2009 it was my first Camino and it still holds special place in my heart its a great walk. The aubergue's are not manned all the time if you are the first person there ( and you will be)you have to phone the numbers on the door so a mobile is a must- between 5 and 15mins responce time from the civil defence team .the doors at Bruma are unlocked during the day, he turns up about 5pm and then at 6 7 8 9 it seems before he tucks you up for the night he's a great bloke but boy can he talk.
Ian

Muchas! Especially re: the phone.

I've just put my phone thru the washing machine so I'll need to see if I can get one from the UK. French ones cost too much!

I hope I can make this walk.

JohnnieWalker said:
... temporary albergue in Pontedeume ...

Sad to say no sign of this albergue when we went through in mid November - and note that the tourist office has also moved and is now in the old building past the Bar El Pescador (to the right of the bridge). The old tower is also closed, but I can report that the large tree next to it is another kiwi import - a lovely Metrosideros excelsa - Pohutukawa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for the kind info, for my CI in mid Feb. Thanks again JW for your constant camino work.

I have replaced my drowned phone which will serve to call the hospitaleros (as advised.) And it will be my alarm.

For rain, I have excluded the poncho this time and will take a parka, of the type I used many years ago in a country as wet as Galicia, but which are now not available; I found this one in an Oxford charity shop a week ago, and very pleased I was.

I will have no guide book, but have read thru many posts here. What sticks in my head will do. The alb. situation is confused by season and by delayed junta/ayuntamento plans. I will take a plastic sheet if I cant find an open albergue. Risky in February? Yes.

I live near Le Puy, and today I wandered around the cathedral, unlovely as it is. But it is so important in camino history.

I fly to Madrid from Lyon, then to SDC. After the CI, I will have a little time in Fistera, where some memories will be revisited. And I have a few days in Madrid to see whats what; I have discovered some 13 euro accomodation there. It'll do nicely, thanks. Skint but blessed!

Be wary of Ryanair, anyone. I saw a 5 euro fare from Madrid to SDC, and clicked it; it was then "unavailable". But it was available at a higher price. By the time all their "charges" were added, the fare had vastly increased. I say this for any non European who may be surprised at the scams they play.

I find that those here who did this Way really liked it, except one person, yet I really appreciated that dissenting voice, as I usually do. .....Especially if it's not mine.

I hope to be one of those who likes this Way., despite the time of year.

Gracias a la vida.....

Good luck. Having done the CI last August, I look forward to your comments after you finish.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Look forward to hearing about your CI. I love this route I have done it twice, once in November and once in January, I like a winter camino and the weather is always potluck anyway. I did'nt stay in albergues though because I did not plan to take a sleeping bag. It is very well marked and I would recommend a walk round each place you stop at, I found all the local people helpful and friendly and did not see any other pilgrims. Enjoy. [Will be back on the CI again in April. Ryanair cancelled my January flights to Santiago and I only had a weeks holiday].
Liz

Enjoy your Camino Ingles - I walked it in June in very different weather.. was about 30-35 C at the time but thoroughly wonderful.

I am becoming increasingly interested in cold-weather caminos based on the experiences of so many here. I look forward to hearing of yours.

Go well!

lynne

Thanks LJ and M. I hope I dont have problems with refugios but I know I'm risking it a bit, as private acc. isnt really on the cards for me.

Ryanair are bandits arent they? But M will soon have had three times on the CI, so it definitely has something. Others said this too.

Winter caminos are certainly more popular now, as you've seen, LJ. My November CP was one. I liked it for the quiet, and for the lack of pressure of people; I also like the cheaper airfares, as it makes walks possible. On the CP, my first winterish walk, I met other pilgs, but few. I like however to meet pilgs; I find many are fascinating characters. But there is a downside of winter walks. It's all a balance and you arrive at a compromise. I do miss the warmth of summer, when I can have a kip by the road, or sleep out under the stars. I dont like the winter rains, but I accept that. Certainly a winter walk turns you inwards, and encourages reflection.

I will also enjoy my days in Madrid, where I have found affordable accommodation, and a number of free galleries, including El Prado, and another where 'Guernica' hangs.

"Be wary of Ryanair, anyone. I saw a 5 euro fare from Madrid to SDC, and clicked it; it was then "unavailable". But it was available at a higher price. By the time all their "charges" were added, the fare had vastly increased. I say this for any non European who may be surprised at the scams they play. " - Caminando wrote

Just booked Ryanair Stansted - SdC return for end March, to do the CI.
Return fare (out Monday, back the following Mon) was £26-98, not bad...
BUT, add on £12-00 online checkin, still not bad,but then,on the final payment stage, a £10-00 "handling fee" suddenly appeared....
Still not bad I suppose - £48-98 total, pity they don't put all the charges upfront to start with.
And, if I can't get my poles through, either in my pack or as "mobility aids", I might as well chuck them and buy new in Santiago, as pay the checked baggage extra fee... :mrgreen:

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back