• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in late September

Kenneth Judd

Time of past OR future Camino
None in the past - only the Camino Ingles planned
I am planning to walk the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol in late September. I've never walked a Camino before so I would value input and suggestions. I do have a guidebook, which just came today. I will be by myself and I am 73 years old.

My main question is whether or not I should pay for a booking service that basically reserves lodging for me and manages luggage transfer but otherwise is "self-guided". I plan to travel very light so the luggage transfer bit doesn't seem very important to me. However, I would like to know if you think it will be reasonable for me to manage my own lodging day to day at that time of the year. I value the spontaneity of doing it on my own but I don't want it to be a hassle. Also, can anyone comment on how crowded the Camino Ingles is likely to be in the late September timeframe. What are your thought, please? Of course, I welcome any help and suggestions. Thank you most kindly in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Inglès with my wife. We booked lodging ourselves one or two day's before
by phone and this was in the month of May. I do not expect a lot of walkers end of September. It is not so crowded as the Francès of Português .

Last edited:
Welcome! The Inglés is beautiful that time of year. As you have your got your guidebook, have a look through the stages and the listed accommodation and start making a list of what stages you would like to do - short? long? - and then see what is available. If you don't need the luggage transport, I'd say you won't need anyone planning your stages or accommodation for you either. If you are familiar with booking.com or similar sites you can book some rooms and beds on that with the option to cancel if something changes. If not, you can call them or contact them by email to book. Enjoy the planning and preparation!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many people walk without a service. Do what makes you comfortable. Do you plan to stay in albergues or are you planning on only private rooms?

I walked the Inglès with my wife. We booked lodging ourselves one or two day's before
by phone and this was in the month of May. I do not expect a lot of walkers end of September. It is not so crowdie as the Francès of Português .
Thank you - it's very helpful to know what to expect.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many people walk without a service. Do what makes you comfortable. Do you plan to stay in albergues or are you planning on only private rooms?
I'm not sure yet - I need to do a bit more reading and study. If possible I would prefer not to be in a dormitory style setting but I'm not set against it. Thank you for your help.

Welcome! The Inglés is beautiful that time of year. As you have your got your guidebook, have a look through the stages and the listed accommodation and start making a list of what stages you would like to do - short? long? - and then see what is available. If you don't need the luggage transport, I'd say you won't need anyone planning your stages or accommodation for you either. If you are familiar with booking.com or similar sites you can book some rooms and beds on that with the option to cancel if something changes. If not, you can call them or contact them by email to book. Enjoy the planning and preparation!
Thank you - that really helps and I appreciate the welcome, too. I've been leaning towards making the trip without a booking service mainly because I don't want to have to commit be at a certain place each day. I really want to take my time and enjoy the experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Kenneth Judd, welcome!

I walked the Inglés for the 2nd time last October (2021) - I turned 77 the day after I arrived in Santiago.

It was lovely weather - at that time. I didn't feel it was crowded except when I got to Betanzos, and everything was 'completo' - shortly after noon. I finally got the only room available at the Garelos - a suite, breakfast included. Very nice!

There is a spot after Vila do Colo where there are confusing directions - see attached photo... I hope it can be enlarged so you can read the signs...
24CCD218-B705-4075-B78C-7CF7A6DDD8BE_1_105_c.jpeg
If you go right you must cross a busy highway, or take the left path that is more strenuous, but with beautiful vistas on top! It's also a little longer than the original trail. Somewhere on this forum there is a very good description of this new way - maybe someone can find it and provide the link.

Also, fwiw, on the section between Bruma and Segûeiro - about Calle (Poulo) there is a sign - Ultima Parada Antes de Sigûeiro - last place to buy snacks and water... but don't count on it being open! Both times I've passed it was closed... and there is no place to 're-fuel' unless you want to head west, off camino, to Mesón Oroso Restaurante on the N-550 - incredible people who own this place! Miguel provided water and seafood paella, AND found a place for me to stay in Segûeiro on the over-booked holiday! (yes, poor planning on my part...)
Buen Camino!

I add my word of welcome, Kenneth. For what it is worth, to you: I knew from reading the guide and asking for some advice that the municipal albergues would not suit my pace (they would be full up by the time I got there!), so I booked everything before I went. I made my own bookings, I did not use booking.com. I also used Correos to transport one of our two bags, so we just carried day things with us. We arrived early by bus one day, checked in to our hotel, and walked to the starting point, and back to the hotel, so we would get a bit of a head start on the first morning. With the other advice you have already got, and will get, I think you will be able to work out your stopping points. I think it was in Bruma, we stayed in a kind of pension and had to cross the road to the hotel - I would instead book into the hotel if I were to do it again. Really, unless you have giant feet that will want to cover greater distances, the stages are fine - I was almost 72 when I walked it, and not the most energetic of people you might imagine setting off on a camino! I enjoyed the whole experience, including the five hours or so of driving rain on the way to Bruma! The last albergue before Santiago, in Siguiero, was wonderful, I will recommend it. You decide, obviiously! Buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I had to take some rest days, I messaged the hostels/pensions that I have pre-booked to change the date of the reservation. Even when it was not possible to do so on booking.com (as the dates were too close). Everyone was happy to do so, I guess being on the camino route, this happens quite often.

So I guess my point is, don't feel that pre-booking ahead will limit your freedom to walk more/shorter stages as the booking can be adjusted. And it gives you the security to know that you can take your time to walk and there will be a bed for you at the end.

Hi @Kenneth Judd,
concerning your main question about booking with via an agency, I am not sure how much value they really add for the money you pay. The lodgings prefer if you book direct as they don't have to pay a cut to the agency. Typically, I would not book more than a day in advance in September on the Ingles but this year I would book all the lodgings in advance as every route is busier than normal.

We just returned last week from the Ingles. It was great and much less crowded than the Frances. We broke it up into half stages as I have health issues, so we spent 11 days instead of the 5-7 day average. We booked everything ourselves through booking. Com or directly with accommodations themselves. As there are fewer places to stay, a number of interesting places off Camino will pick up and drop off from the Camino. Our favorite was the Rectoral de Cine, about 10 min. away by car from Camino near Presedo. It’s a converted 1000 yr. old rectory and provided a terrific place to stay (and eat), as the only alternative in Presedo was the municipal albergue which we’d never have reached in time for a room. Several people we met along the way had used services which had botched their reservations or set them up with longer distances than they wanted. I shipped my pack with taxicaminoingl.es. Never had a problem. Burn Camino😀

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Kenneth Judd, welcome!

I walked the Inglés for the 2nd time last October (2021) - I turned 77 the day after I arrived in Santiago.

It was lovely weather - at that time. I didn't feel it was crowded except when I got to Betanzos, and everything was 'completo' - shortly after noon. I finally got the only room available at the Garelos - a suite, breakfast included. Very nice!

There is a spot after Vila do Colo where there are confusing directions - see attached photo... I hope it can be enlarged so you can read the signs...
View attachment 127580
If you go right you must cross a busy highway, or take the left path that is more strenuous, but with beautiful vistas on top! It's also a little longer than the original trail. Somewhere on this forum there is a very good description of this new way - maybe someone can find it and provide the link.

Also, fwiw, on the section between Bruma and Segûeiro - about Calle (Poulo) there is a sign - Ultima Parada Antes de Sigûeiro - last place to buy snacks and water... but don't count on it being open! Both times I've passed it was closed... and there is no place to 're-fuel' unless you want to head west, off camino, to Mesón Oroso Restaurante on the N-550 - incredible people who own this place! Miguel provided water and seafood paella, AND found a place for me to stay in Segûeiro on the over-booked holiday! (yes, poor planning on my part...)
Buen Camino!
Great information - thanks! Sounds like you had a nice birthday present.

We just returned last week from the Ingles. It was great and much less crowded than the Frances. We broke it up into half stages as I have health issues, so we spent 11 days instead of the 5-7 day average. We booked everything ourselves through booking. Com or directly with accommodations themselves. As there are fewer places to stay, a number of interesting places off Camino will pick up and drop off from the Camino. Our favorite was the Rectoral de Cine, about 10 min. away by car from Camino near Presedo. It’s a converted 1000 yr. old rectory and provided a terrific place to stay (and eat), as the only alternative in Presedo was the municipal albergue which we’d never have reached in time for a room. Several people we met along the way had used services which had botched their reservations or set them up with longer distances than they wanted. I shipped my pack with taxicaminoingl.es. Never had a problem. Burn Camino😀
Those are very useful suggestions - thank you very much. The Rectoral de Cine sounds perfect for what I'd like to experience.

Hi @Kenneth Judd,
concerning your main question about booking with via an agency, I am not sure how much value they really add for the money you pay. The lodgings prefer if you book direct as they don't have to pay a cut to the agency. Typically, I would not book more than a day in advance in September on the Ingles but this year I would book all the lodgings in advance as every route is busier than normal.
You made a good point - I'll try to book the overnight stays in advance on my own. I think the several comments on this forum have led me to decide to skip using the agency. I suspect I'm going to want to stretch the walk out a bit more than they seem to allow. Thank you for your kind help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I had to take some rest days, I messaged the hostels/pensions that I have pre-booked to change the date of the reservation. Even when it was not possible to do so on booking.com (as the dates were too close). Everyone was happy to do so, I guess being on the camino route, this happens quite often.

So I guess my point is, don't feel that pre-booking ahead will limit your freedom to walk more/shorter stages as the booking can be adjusted. And it gives you the security to know that you can take your time to walk and there will be a bed for you at the end.
Really good point - thanks!

I add my word of welcome, Kenneth. For what it is worth, to you: I knew from reading the guide and asking for some advice that the municipal albergues would not suit my pace (they would be full up by the time I got there!), so I booked everything before I went. I made my own bookings, I did not use booking.com. I also used Correos to transport one of our two bags, so we just carried day things with us. We arrived early by bus one day, checked in to our hotel, and walked to the starting point, and back to the hotel, so we would get a bit of a head start on the first morning. With the other advice you have already got, and will get, I think you will be able to work out your stopping points. I think it was in Bruma, we stayed in a kind of pension and had to cross the road to the hotel - I would instead book into the hotel if I were to do it again. Really, unless you have giant feet that will want to cover greater distances, the stages are fine - I was almost 72 when I walked it, and not the most energetic of people you might imagine setting off on a camino! I enjoyed the whole experience, including the five hours or so of driving rain on the way to Bruma! The last albergue before Santiago, in Siguiero, was wonderful, I will recommend it. You decide, obviiously! Buen camino.
Thanks very much, Kirkie. For several personal reasons, this past year has been very rough and I'm looking forward to this Camino. To steal your words, I'm certainly not at present the most energetic of people but I do plan to physically prepare for this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning to walk the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol in late September. I've never walked a Camino before so I would value input and suggestions. I do have a guidebook, which just came today. I will be by myself and I am 73 years old.

My main question is whether or not I should pay for a booking service that basically reserves lodging for me and manages luggage transfer but otherwise is "self-guided". I plan to travel very light so the luggage transfer bit doesn't seem very important to me. However, I would like to know if you think it will be reasonable for me to manage my own lodging day to day at that time of the year. I value the spontaneity of doing it on my own but I don't want it to be a hassle. Also, can anyone comment on how crowded the Camino Ingles is likely to be in the late September timeframe. What are your thought, please? Of course, I welcome any help and suggestions. Thank you most kindly in advance.
I apologize for posting yet another question, which I should have included in my original post.

I'm a bit confused as to how I acquire the Pilgrim Credential. Do I get it in Ferrol before I start or do I order it in advance of my trip to Spain? And, are there different versions and are they all equally acceptable to earn the Compostela? (I am making this Camino for spiritual reasons - a recent loss of a loved one)

Again - thanks to everyone who has been so kind and generous with their help!

I apologize for posting yet another question, which I should have included in my original post.

I'm a bit confused as to how I acquire the Pilgrim Credential. Do I get it in Ferrol before I start or do I order it in advance of my trip to Spain? And, are there different versions and are they all equally acceptable to earn the Compostela? (I am making this Camino for spiritual reasons - a recent loss of a loved one)

Again - thanks to everyone who has been so kind and generous with their help!
Sorry - I just found the link on this site and ordered another guidebook and the passport. Many thanks to Ivar for making this all possible!

@Kenneth Judd ,
There is a very active chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino in Colorado. They have regular hikes and also meetings on Zoom. Let me know if you need more info, but you can check with American Pilgrims on the Camino online for more info.
Janeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back