• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in May 2021?

Baru.Vranu

Doing my first camino in May (English way)
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi!

I am planning to do the English way in the middle of May. The Spanish state of emergency ends the first week in May, so I have booked my flights right after. Due to the COVID situation I have also booked private room stays on my journey (no albergue this time for me :-( ).
This will be my first camino and a special one for me as I should arrive to Santiago on my birthday. So I do not really want to cancel but one should be prepared well :).

Is anyone wondering to do the camino (any) in May as well? Do you have any covid-related information for may?

Take care :)
Barbora

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino !
The Ingles is a wonderful route.

Please feel free to pm me about accomodation in Ordes/ Bruma. I might be able to give some additional information.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe May 2022. This May probably no

Hi!

I am planning to do the English way in the middle of May. The Spanish state of emergency ends the first week in May, so I have booked my flights right after. Due to the COVID situation I have also booked private room stays on my journey (no albergue this time for me :-( ).
This will be my first camino and a special one for me as I should arrive to Santiago on my birthday. So I do not really want to cancel but one should be prepared well :).

Is anyone wondering to do the camino (any) in May as well? Do you have any covid-related information for may?

Take care :)
Barbora
As it is today, it should be possible to walk the Camino Ingles. It is possible to travel to Galicia (Santiago) now, then take the bus/train up to your starting point and walk back. You would need to check booking.com or call ahead for lodging since many places are still closed. So if you can do it today, you should be able to do it in may (things are hopefully getting better virus wise before then).

Thank you all for yor reply! :) I am flying to A Coruña the second week in May, and I have already booked all the accommodations on the route in advance, now only thing is to find out how to get to Ferrol from A Coruña airport. Oh and also keep my fingers crossed for a good weather (this year is so far cold and rainy) :).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all for yor reply! :) I am flying to A Coruña the second week in May, and I have already booked all the accommodations on the route in advance, now only thing is to find out how to get to Ferrol from A Coruña airport. Oh and also keep my fingers crossed for a good weather (this year is so far cold and rainy) :).

When I looked into this last year, it appeared you would have to take a bus from the airport to the bus station Alfonso Molina in A Coruña and from there another bus (Arriva Galicia) to Ferrol (takes about 45 minutes and runs with 30 minutes interval) – but things could have changed since then, so you’d have to check.

There is about 45 kilometers from the airport in A Coruña to Ferrol (center) so the alternative could be a taxi, which would probably set you back some 50 Euro.

Buen camino!

Note that the Airport Bus (Alsa A4) does not actually stop at the A Coruna bus station but at a nearby stop on one of the main roads into the city, the Avenida Alcalde Alfonso Molina. This stops serves both the bus station and the train station which both have connections to Ferrol. The bus is more regular I believe.
Also note that the Airport bus stops earlier than the last flight (or ar least did in pre-Covid times) so if you are catching a late flight then a taxi may be necessary. This was just over 20 Eur between airport and Train station a couple of years ago.

As @SabineP says, the Ingles is a really nice route so assuming it is possible and safe to travel, I'm sure you will have a great walk.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Note that the Airport Bus (Alsa A4) does not actually stop at the A Coruna bus station but at a nearby stop on one of the main roads into the city, the Avenida Alcalde Alfonso Molina. This stops serves both the bus station and the train station which both have connections to Ferrol. The bus is more regular I believe.
Also note that the Airport bus stops earlier than the last flight (or ar least did in pre-Covid times) so if you are catching a late flight then a taxi may be necessary. This was just over 20 Eur between airport and Train station a couple of tears ago.

As @SabineP says, the Ingles is a really nice route so assuming it is possible and safe to travel, I'm sure you will have a great walk.

Buen Camino.
When I flew into A Coruna in 2019 on a very late flight there wasn't even a taxi! It was only thanks to a very nice Spanish couple who sat next to me on the plane and their son who was picking them up from the airport that I got a ride into town. So please be aware that if you fly in late then you may have to start walking from the airport.

If you can get from the airport to the downtown train station, there is a train from A Caruna to Ferol that we took in 2019, mostly goes along the water and is a very pretty ride.

When I flew into A Coruna in 2019 on a very late flight there wasn't even a taxi! It was only thanks to a very nice Spanish couple who sat next to me on the plane and their son who was picking them up from the airport that I got a ride into town. So please be aware that if you fly in late then you may have to start walking from the airport.

Good point @Doughnut NZ!

For others who run into this situation (no taxis at the Coruña airport), you can always call the taxi service and request they come get you:

https://www.radiotaxicoruna.es/
+34 981 24 33 33

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On April 20th the US State Department issued level 4 travel advisories for Spain and Portugal: No not travel due to COVID concerns.

You'll have to hope that that changes………

On April 20th the US State Department issued level 4 travel advisories for Spain
You'll have to hope that that changes………
The forum member who started this thread is from the Czech Republic and wants to walk for about a week in Galicia in about three week‘s time.

Just for general information: in Europe, governments and official public health institutions often publish travel advice not for a whole country but for a country‘s regions. Just to give an example, Germany currently warns their citizens of non-essential touristic travel to Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon, the Canary Islands and a few other Spanish regions but only advises them to refrain from non-essential touristic travel to Galicia and the Balearic Islands - a much lower warning level in their advisory system ...

I would find it difficult to give any advice at this moment in time but would like to point out that the fact that the ”state of alarm“ ends in Spain on 9 May and will not be prolonged does not mean an ”all clear“ from Spain. It has more to do with their Constitution and how power is shared by the national government and the regional governments than with the current evolution of the public health/COVID-19 situation in Spain. So don’t make the mistake of thinking that it is fine to travel to Spain from the 10th of May but inform yourselves carefully from official government sources in the country you live in as well as those in Spain if you want to practice responsible travel.

Last edited:
The forum member who started this thread is from the Czech Republic and wants to walk for about a week in Galicia in about three week‘s time.

Just for general information: in Europe, governments and official public health institutions often publish travel advice not for a whole country but for a country‘s regions. Just to give an example, Germany currently warns their citizens of non-essential touristic travel to Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon, the Canary Islands and a few other Spanish regions but only advises them to refrain from non-essential touristic travel to Galicia and the Balearic Islands - a much lower warning level in their advisory system ...

I would find it difficult to give any advice at this moment in time but would like to point out that the fact that the ”state of alarm“ ends in Spain on 9 May and will not be prolonged does not mean an ”all clear“ from Spain. It has more to do with their Constitution and how power is shared by the national government and the regional governments than with the current evolution of the public health/COVID-19 situation in Spain. So don’t make the mistake of thinking that it is fine to travel to Spain from the 10th of May but inform yourselves carefully from official government sources in the country you live in as well as those in Spain if you want to practice responsible travel.
Hi,

thank you for all the advice :), I will start the Camino in few days, after the end of Spanish state of emergency. As per the country advice, the Czech repubic government does not restrict travel, but everyone should do a PCR test before and after any travel plus we have to stay 5 days in quarantine after return from abroad, self-quarantine is again ended by a negative PCR test (so its 3 PCR tests for me) with additional measure to wear a compulsory FPP2 respiratory mask anywhere ouside our homes, which is anyway a rule for all czech citizens :).

Currently only thing that makes me nervous is the weather, it looks that is will be cold and rainy during the whole trip, so I had to add more rain clothes, and my backpack is currently 12kgs, which I think is really heavy :-D.

Take care!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Currently only thing that makes me nervous is the weather, it looks that is will be cold and rainy during the whole trip, so I had to add more rain clothes, and my backpack is currently 12kgs, which I think is really heavy :-D.
Do you know of this pilgrim ritual: you post a list of the content of your backpack on this forum and readers will take it to pieces and advise you what to dump or to replace or assign to double and triple use? :-D

As to the weather, I just noticed that meteogalicia.gal has a handy overview for the weather forecast for their caminos. From experience, I can tell you that it can rain a lot in Galicia but on many days it doesn't rain all day and not everywhere in Galicia :-D. I found looking at the rain radar predictions useful.

Galicia weather.jpg

I will do the Camino Ingles starting May 19th in Ferrol. The State of Alarm and the restrictions to travel between Autonomous Comunities in Spain have been cancelled today so you can now travel freely in Spain.
Take in account that the only requirement you have to fullfill to travel in Galicia is to register yourself in the web of the Galician Health Service (SERGAS), It's a very light form that you can find in that address
You must do it in the 24 hours following your arrival to Galicia.
The form asks you for your Accommodation name and address of residence . As you will be sleeping in different places in differnt dates you must only state the name and address of the FIRST hotel or Albergue you pretend to stay.

¡BUEN CAMINO!. Maybe we'll find there. (I'm the one with a BIG camera and a grey Deuter backpack; walking slowly and puffing all the way...)

Buen Camino Baru.Vranu.
I'm hoping to walk this route in Spetember so will be following your progress with interest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back