• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in September 2021

CaminoDougL

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Leon -Santiago (2014), Camino Ingles (2021)
I am doing the Camino Ingles in September, 2021 and don't know too much about it. I purchased the Brierly guide and started studying it. Are there any "must see" places along this route? I did the Camino Frances from Leon to Finisterre back in 2014 so I am familiar with Camino accommodations and life on the Way. Also, has anyone been on this route since Spain opened back up? Are the albergues and bars open?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wife and I are walking there end of September/early October. Walked it with friends doing same time period in 2019. Wife has never been on a Camino so we will stay at places I stayed at or visited during 2019. I've managed to reserve everything except the municipal albergue at Presedo which you can't reserve until the day before arrival. There is a great museum-themed restaurant along the Camino less than one kilometer from the Presedo albergue. Food is good and it's a tourist dream in terms of decoration--a must when staying at the albergue or stopping at if you're traveling through. The walk is not overtaxing but I recommend conditioning in preparation. Beautiful scenery along the way and there is a restaurant after the one I mentioned across the street from an interesting display of all kinds of "funky" things made from scrap. You'll enjoy lots of peaceful walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No ‘must see’s that I can recall but the major attraction is that you experience rural Galicia without the crowds or tourist infrastructure of the Camino Frances. It’s a splendid route with few difficulties.
Thanks for the info! I will be sure to stop by that restaurant. I am doing some training so I should be good to go when the walk starts. I enjoy solitary walking so this seems ideal to me. I am not planning on reserving rooms which could be good or bad. I figured that the Camino Ingles is not as traveled a route so I should not have issues getting accommodations. I enjoy the spontaneity of just walking and not knowing when you will stop.

We spent a lovely afternoon and evening in Betanzos which you might already be planning on as well. Don’t miss the tortilla made in this city. It is one of the best that I’ve had. My recommendation would be to dine at Casa Miranda. As I remember, it doesn’t open until 8:30 pm for dinner and it is rather small. Get there early so as not to have to wait for a table.

99DC3DDA-708E-4B0D-B314-E9DC47827DF8.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the info! I will be sure to stop by that restaurant. I am doing some training so I should be good to go when the walk starts. I enjoy solitary walking so this seems ideal to me. I am not planning on reserving rooms which could be good or bad. I figured that the Camino Ingles is not as traveled a route so I should not have issues getting accommodations. I enjoy the spontaneity of just walking and not knowing when you will stop.
Whilst the numbers of peregrinos are fewer, so are the opportunities for sleeping and eating. The accomodation options are few (sometimes one) at the logical overnights, so no harm in phoning ahead or emailing. The good news is that the bars and cafeterias are the local town and village facilities.

Make sure that your guidebook is the most recent edition as there was some re-routing a few years ago. The old route sections are still walkable, but waymarking may be sparse.

Both Ferrol and Coruna are worth a night before starting (especially Coruna - many good bars and accommodation; and Sir John Moore’s monument) I took the overnight sleeper from Madrid to Coruna and the first bus in the morning from Coruna to Ferrol, from where I started walking.

Thinking about it, I do have one of my only two (ever) ‘selfies’ from somewhere on the route with a scrap-steel statue of a life size T-Rex behind me. That’s pretty much the excitement!

Husband and I (age 76 and 79) walked it a couple years ago. A bit disappointing after walking the Portuguese. Very easy walking on the Ingles. No problem with lodging or finding places to eat. In Ferrol Patisserie Swiss girl for breakfast. Recommend the one mile “complementary” route to Neda. Pontedeume is lovely. This is a beautiful town with houses dating over 100 years old (as was our B & B)
Betanzos is another beautiful village.

Thanks for all the recommendations. All very helpful. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Husband and I (age 76 and 79) walked it a couple years ago. A bit disappointing after walking the Portuguese. Very easy walking on the Ingles. No problem with lodging or finding places to eat. In Ferrol Patisserie Swiss girl for breakfast. Recommend the one mile “complementary” route to Neda. Pontedeume is lovely. This is a beautiful town with houses dating over 100 years old (as was our B & B)
Betanzos is another beautiful village.
Hi Eleonore, I am curious what you found disappointing comparing the Ingles to the Portuguese? I have only walked the Ingles and intend to walk the Portuguese one day. Thanks

I figured that the Camino Ingles is not as traveled a route so I should not have issues getting accommodations. I enjoy the spontaneity of just walking and not knowing when you will stop.

The Ingles has a sparse infrastructure compared to the Frances or the Portuguese. That, and the fact that the Ingles is becoming more popular with each year means that I would not rule out reserving accommodations ahead.

When my wife and I walked the Ingles in late September 2019, the combination of tourists and pilgrims in the various towns made it a bit difficult sometimes to spontaneously locate a place for the night.

Wife and I are walking there end of September/early October. Walked it with friends doing same time period in 2019. Wife has never been on a Camino so we will stay at places I stayed at or visited during 2019. I've managed to reserve everything except the municipal albergue at Presedo which you can't reserve until the day before arrival. There is a great museum-themed restaurant along the Camino less than one kilometer from the Presedo albergue. Food is good and it's a tourist dream in terms of decoration--a must when staying at the albergue or stopping at if you're traveling through. The walk is not overtaxing but I recommend conditioning in preparation. Beautiful scenery along the way and there is a restaurant after the one I mentioned across the street from an interesting display of all kinds of "funky" things made from scrap. You'll enjoy lots of peaceful walking.
I found on Booking.com a place near Presedo that will pick you up there. 3 miles away. Check it out:
Rectoral de Cines in Oza dos Rios. My family says to forget walking and just stay here 10 days :)
It does break up that long day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The difference between the Inglès and the Português ?
it is a totally different tour in two different countries
the language is almost different
The landscape is different. The Inglès is short. About one week . lots of hills to climb
partly through eucalypse woods . Etc etc. I loved both although once I did the Inglès and four times the Português . If I should go again ,I should do one of the Portuguese caminhos again.

mind if applying for a Compostela you have to start in Ferrol (100 kms + to Santiago rather than starting in A Coruña (88 kms to Santiago)

Whilst the numbers of peregrinos are fewer, so are the opportunities for sleeping and eating. The accomodation options are few (sometimes one) at the logical overnights, so no harm in phoning ahead or emailing. The good news is that the bars and cafeterias are the local town and village facilities.

Make sure that your guidebook is the most recent edition as there was some re-routing a few years ago. The old route sections are still walkable, but waymarking may be sparse.

Both Ferrol and Coruna are worth a night before starting (especially Coruna - many good bars and accommodation; and Sir John Moore’s monument) I took the overnight sleeper from Madrid to Coruna and the first bus in the morning from Coruna to Ferrol, from where I started walking.

Thinking about it, I do have one of my only two (ever) ‘selfies’ from somewhere on the route with a scrap-steel statue of a life size T-Rex behind me. That’s pretty much the excitement!
Thank you this is very helpful and reassuring. I love the thought of taking the overnight train from madrid to Coruna espescially after the long flight over.Aloha

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am doing the Camino Ingles in September, 2021 and don't know too much about it. I purchased the Brierly guide and started studying it. Are there any "must see" places along this route? I did the Camino Frances from Leon to Finisterre back in 2014 so I am familiar with Camino accommodations and life on the Way. Also, has anyone been on this route since Spain opened back up? Are the albergues and bars open?
Hello Camino Douglas, thought I had lost you and still not sure that this will get to you.Still not clear on using this.So want to thank you again for the support you've given me. I'm very near making a reservation now as I have decided clearly on the dates and that I will fly into Madrid.Though I felt very drawn to the Ingles I am now thinking, as you and others has suggested . that I do the francis as it is actually my first time solo in any country where I do not speak the language & also I am not good at reading maps.So probably best to take the path most traveled for a bit of ease in it all.I do not want to think about rushing to get a bed so guess I will just go on faith with that.I'm told there is a train to logrono from madrid and that appeals to me.I remember that you did one from logrono and at another time the ingles.So I plan on 6weeks.If I start walking at logrono, might I still have time to do ferrol and finisterre?I value your input on this so I sure hope you get this.Aloha,kathryn

Hello Camino Douglas, thought I had lost you and still not sure that this will get to you.Still not clear on using this.So want to thank you again for the support you've given me. I'm very near making a reservation now as I have decided clearly on the dates and that I will fly into Madrid.Though I felt very drawn to the Ingles I am now thinking, as you and others has suggested . that I do the francis as it is actually my first time solo in any country where I do not speak the language & also I am not good at reading maps.So probably best to take the path most traveled for a bit of ease in it all.I do not want to think about rushing to get a bed so guess I will just go on faith with that.I'm told there is a train to logrono from madrid and that appeals to me.I remember that you did one from logrono and at another time the ingles.So I plan on 6weeks.If I start walking at logrono, might I still have time to do ferrol and finisterre?I value your input on this so I sure hope you get this.Aloha,kathryn
Hi Hulagirl. I think that the Frances is a good choice, even better if you get to do the Ingles as well. :) Logrono to Finisterre + the Ingles is easily doable in 6 weeks. You can probably do everything you mentioned in 35-40 days, a little longer if you take your time. Not sure when you are planning on going but June-August will be more crowded on the Frances with August being a peak month due to many of the Spanish being on vacation that month.

Hi Hulagirl. I think that the Frances is a good choice, even better if you get to do the Ingles as well. :) Logrono to Finisterre + the Ingles is easily doable in 6 weeks. You can probably do everything you mentioned in 35-40 days, a little longer if you take your time. Not sure when you are planning on going but June-August will be more crowded on the Frances with August being a peak month due to many of the Spanish being on vacation that month.
Thank you for responding Douglas, that feels just perfect. So here is the dates I've chosen, let me know how it sounds:From Maui will be about a 22 hour flight and Madrid is exactly 12 hours ahead of us.So if I leave evening of Aug 29 tues Arrive early am thurs 31, rest recover, I figure I would be ready to walk Fri sept1 and that walk will take me on through return on Oct 13, my sisters birthday in heaven as she left the earth at only 58 yrs old in 2005 during hurricane Dennis.She will be giving me wind in my sails from above because I have wanted to do this just about all of my adult life.It is starting to feel real now. Having your support has really helped me, thank you so much. Aloha, Kathryn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for responding Douglas, that feels just perfect. So here is the dates I've chosen, let me know how it sounds:From Maui will be about a 22 hour flight and Madrid is exactly 12 hours ahead of us.So if I leave evening of Aug 29 tues Arrive early am thurs 31, rest recover, I figure I would be ready to walk Fri sept1 and that walk will take me on through return on Oct 13, my sisters birthday in heaven as she left the earth at only 58 yrs old in 2005 during hurricane Dennis.She will be giving me wind in my sails from above because I have wanted to do this just about all of my adult life.It is starting to feel real now. Having your support has really helped me, thank you so much. Aloha, Kathryn
That sounds like a wonderful itinerary. September was an amazing month to walk a Camino, not too hot, cool in the mornings and pretty dry. I only had one day of rain walking 8 days in September. So sorry to hear about your sister. Glad that you have inspiration from her to guide you on the path. It will be a wonderful trip.

That sounds like a wonderful itinerary. September was an amazing month to walk a Camino, not too hot, cool in the mornings and pretty dry. I only had one day of rain walking 8 days in September. So sorry to hear about your sister. Glad that you have inspiration from her to guide you on the path. It will be a wonderful trip.
MAHALO

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back