• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles - Oct 2014

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just finished (re-)packing my rucksack and leave for the airport shortly for flight to A Coruna. Although the weather forecast is not great I'm looking forward to getting on the road and being in Santiago (hopefully there on Sunday in time for the forum 10th birthday celebrations - party at Ivar's, right! ;))

Buen Camino
Mig
Buen camino. Have a good trip and have fun

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino Miguel from both of us and please give our saludos to Ivar for the 10th.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen camino Miguel. Enjoy.
Would you be able to take note if the Albergues and hostels will be mostly open or closed by November? I have just started the meseta and would like to get a bus from Ponferrada to Ferrol and walk the Ingles. As I am a slow walker it will probably be November before I reach Ponfe. (I walked Ponfe to SdC in May). Thank you and have a nice walk and a great party

Would you be able to take note if the Albergues and hostels will be mostly open or closed by November? I have just started the meseta and would like to get a bus from Ponferrada to Ferrol and walk the Ingles. As I am a slow walker it will probably be November before I reach Ponfe. (I walked Ponfe to SdC in May). Thank you and have a nice walk and a great party

They will all be open on this route.

Thanks everyone.

As some would put it, I am a tourist, so not staying in the Albergues. I see John has answered your question though.Enjoy the meseta and the Ingles when you transfer to it.

Buen Camino.
Mig

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have a wonderful journey, Mig - buen camino.

I'd be interested in which non-albergue accommodation you choose.
Planning to walk in December without using albergues.
It's a service to fellow pilgrims to spare them my snoring !

Hi Tim,

I walked the Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago in 4 days last month (September 2014) and stayed in the following non-albergue accommodation:

Ferrol - Parador
Pontedeume - Bar Luis
Meson Do Vento - O Meson Novo
In Sigueiro the Hostal Miras was closed so I continued on to Santiago.

Paul.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Tim, I'll stick up a list when I get back.
Mig
Thanks, we would be interested too as we plan on using only private accommodation next year.
Buen Camino to you all.

Thank you. We have those places from Johnnie's guide. It is 'in between' stops we would be particularly interested in if anyone walks short days, and non-albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Miguel!

I walked with @Travellingman this morning. What a nice man. We started off in perfect walking weather but the heavens soon opened and within 1.5 hours we were thoroughly soaked. Beige shorts, dark boxers and heavy rain are not a good combination and I think Ferrol saw a lot more than they wanted to. We stopped in Naron, where @Travellingman was "tying up his horse" for the night having planned a gentle start to his walk this time. We found a place that would let you dry out and give you free beer so we spent a pleasant hour or so there. Turns out that we're just not that good at Spanish and the beers are not free, it was just a standard bar. Anyway by that time the rain had just about stopped, so we settled up, bid farewell and I walked on to Pontedeume.

In the afternoon the sun came out, clothes started to dry, miguel_gp pequena disappeared from public view and the walking was really good. Nice walking along the beach at Cabanas and resting up for a while.....
IMAG0628.jpg

Now in Pontedeume at Hotel Eumesa, which although a bit pricey is really nice. Met up with an English guy here who is on Camino for the first time. He is not a forum member but I believe his partner is so:-
  • If you are not my wife
  • You are reading this
  • Your partner flew out to La Coruna yesterday
  • And he is staying in Pontedeume tonight
Despite feeling tired, he looked like he enjoyed himself today :). I'm afraid it is the start of a long downward spiral and soon he'll be addicted like the rest of.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough (although not enough for the Compostela).

Buenas Noches
Mig

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beautiful photo. I'm glad you are making the best of things.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Beautiful day today, weatherwise. Despite the fact that I had produced some elevation profiles for this route a month or so ago I had forgotten quite how undulating this stage (Pontedeume to Betanzos) is and also how beautiful and peaceful.

For anybody following Johnnie's guide on this route once you have left Mino, crossed the railway bridge and descended towards the estuary, there is a boardwalk area off to the right hand side which runs parallel to the waymarked route but along the river bank with good views (I would guess particularly at high tide) back to the bay. I believe this is where the cover photo for the guide was taken. The boardwalk finishes after about 500m and pops you back out to the rest area in front of the Bar Almeda, a pleasant place for a refreshment and sello before the next incline.

After the stage, I stopped in the main square in Betanzos for a drink before going to the hotel. The main road runs through the square and I watched a single, presumably council, employee repaint an arrow road marking while 3 officers from the Policia Local looked on and appeared to give advice for the best part of 30 mins. I don't know whether the local police have to sign off the finished art work but rumour has it that they will be overseeing the painting of all yellow arrows from next year (;))

IMAG0638.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0638.jpg
    IMAG0638.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
For anybody following Johnnie's guide on this route once you have left Mino, crossed the railway bridge and descended towards the estuary, there is a boardwalk area off to the right hand side which runs parallel to the waymarked route but along the river bank with good views (I would guess particularly at high tide) back to the bay. I believe this is where the cover photo for the guide was taken. The boardwalk finishes after about 500m and pops you back out to the rest area in front of the Bar Almeda, a pleasant place for a refreshment and sello before the next incline.
Duly noted in our guide book thank you. Is this accessed before the Cafe Bar 'A Ria', or after it please? We have a memory of the shower area but not exactly where the walkway started.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone.

As some would put it, I am a tourist, so not staying in the Albergues. I see John has answered your question though.Enjoy the meseta and the Ingles when you transfer to it.

Buen Camino.
Mig
Thanks Mig. So far so good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can walk from O Meson Novo! In Meson do Vento as far as you wish to walk. We wanted to break up the section O Meson Novo to Sigueiro +3km to Hotel San Vicente into two. The owner of Casa Rural Dona Maria in A Rua is quite happy to do the same pick up service as Antonio does at Meson Nova. This enabled us to walk to Os Carras then the following day from Os Carras to Siguera+3km beyond,to stay at the Hotel San Vicente for our anniversary evening meal. Both places are very clean and do good food. it also reduces the last day to SDC so you arrive about lunch time. Expensive unless there are two of you for the room though!
info@casadonamaria.es

We are thinking of walking from Meson do Vento to Calle de Poulo and then turning right to Ordes (2kms+) then returning on foot to the crossroads (unless there is another way back to the Camino) to continue to Sigueiro itself. The alternative is good to know, thank you.

Thank you - 'bookmarked'. We will write numbers in our guide book. We would taxi there if needed, but would prefer to walk, either back to Calle de Poulo or if there is another road that rejoins the Camino a bit nearer to Segueiro. Plenty of choices now. We usually carry a taxi number for places as we go along 'just in case'. We intend to ask for the return trip Casa Julia/Meson do Vento to ease that day so are not anti-taxi, but want to walk except in exceptional circumstances. That is why we reckon it will take us 9 days as we use all the possible stopping places, hence the 'side-trip' to Ordés. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Tia Valeria

At Calle there is a place where King Felipe II sleep at. And from Calle you have a 4kms walk to Ordes and another 4kms the following day back.

Ondo Ibili !
That is interesting, we knew from Johnnie's guide about the place at Sarandones. can you tell us exactly where in Calle please? We had 2kms in our notes, I see that Johnnie has 3kms in the guide and your 4kms is maybe into the centre. Do-able as that would give us 17kms from Meson do Vento and 15kms next day to Sigueiro, with the taxi option if needed. Researching places to stay on the Calle side of Ordés, some suggestions already noted :) No urgency for us as we are planning on next year.
We are waiting to see what other news Miguel posts here when he finishes walking.

Just arrived in Santiago from Meson Do Vento. Only one cafe, the one opposite Cass rural in A Rua was open on route until Sigueiro. Hostal Miras looked shut either for refurbishment or permanently. There was paper over insides of all windows but no notice I could see of what was going on. Luckily there are now more accommodation options in town and beyond.

More to follow...

Time to go for a large beer ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just arrived in Santiago from Meson Do Vento. Only one cafe, the one opposite Cass rural in A Rua was open on route until Sigueiro. Hostal Miras looked shut either for refurbishment or permanently. There was paper over insides of all windows but no notice I could see of what was going on. Luckily there are now more accommodation options in town and beyond.

More to follow...

Congrats reaching Santiago Miguel

The Casa rural opposite the bar in A Rua is the Dona Maria I mentioned above, you are right about the hostal it was closed as we passed through in June too. There was another bar open much further on (village stone cross just outside the door) if I find the name of the place village I will edit the post.

Congratulations mig

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just went from Meson do Vento to Siguerio and stayed at the very nice Albergue de Delia and walked into Santiago yesterday

That is great. Congratulations!

More to follow...

Congratulations Miguel!

Sorry we missed you today, Miguel. Will you still be in Santiago tomorrow? We'll both be working, and would love to meet you! CONGRATS on finishing! Always a big accomplishment, and it sounds like you enjoyed it. Hope to see you soon.

€83,-
Sorry we missed you today, Miguel. Will you still be in Santiago tomorrow? We'll both be working, and would love to meet you! CONGRATS on finishing! Always a big accomplishment, and it sounds like you enjoyed it. Hope to see you soon.
Hi Nate and Faith, I go home early tomorrow so I don't think that we will link up this time My visit was a courtesy call to say hi to you both and as a thank you for the facility you have set up for Pilgrims.
I'll be back in May though, so no problema, maybe we meet next time?

Hi Nate and Faith, I go home early tomorrow so I don't think that we will link up this time My visit was a courtesy call to say hi to you both and as a thank you for the facility you have set up for Pilgrims.
I'll be back in May though, so no problema, maybe we meet next time?

We'd love to see you next time - and May isn't that far away now! Hope you had a good trip home.

Well, just back from the Ingles, and I second all that mig said (and, what a very nice man you are, too)
After parting company at Naron, I stayed at Allegue in Pontedeume (OK but no hot water in shower), then Chocalateria at Betanzos (3rd time there), O Meson Novo (brilliant, can't recommend it highly enough), then Sigueiro Hostal (brand new, lovely, stayed at Miras before, but this place is really good). Apart from the wet morning walking with mig, the weather held off, and the walking was really good, 3rd time for me. Met an American couple at Pontedeume and walked with them to SdC - good company. I have to confess that the walk was harder than remembered - haha, old age creeping on:)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, apologies for the delay adding to this thread. Some further updates.....

Credencial in Ferrol - I visited the main tourist office in Rua Magdalena for 9am but this turned out to be closed for the winter. There is an alternative set up in the Government building approx, left and approx. 100m up from the tourist office in the square. They also opened at 9am but do not hold a stock of Pilgrim Office credencials. They offered a Camino Inlges Pilgrim Passport filled with map, elevation profiles, stage descriptions and most importantly a sello section to collect 10-12 stamps. There is only room for this amount so if intending to walk for more than 5 or 6 days or you are an avid sello collector then a full credential would be better. I was also told that the pilgrim passport was not accepted by the Pilgrim Office in order to claim a Compostela. I checked with Johnnie Walker at the office and this is not correct (the sellos from 100km + are the important thing) so I continued with the passport. It is a nice fold out document in itself and a nice souvenir of the Ingles. A proper credential can be obtained from one of the churches in Ferrol (I can't recall the name) but this did not open until 10am (I heard from a walking companion later in the week it was actually about 10:30am).

Diversions - There was a temporary diversion for works, signed at the industrial estate immediately after Cafeteria Vilar do Colo on the stage to Pontedeume. The diversion is very clear and takes you through rather than behind the industrial estate but only for about 750m. There are major roadworks on the Rúa dos Basquiños on the way into Santiago city. Although closed to road traffic there is pedestrian access, clearly marked. I don't recall anything else (@Travellingman, any other updates you can think of?)

Albergues - I did not stay in Albergues but the ones that I passed directly (Neda, Pontedeume, Bruma) were either already open or had contact details for the keyholder posted nearby. I am aware that people also stayed in the Albergues at Mino and Betanzos that week.

Hotels - I stayed in the following. Almendra - Ferrol (very near train and bus station for those arriving late into Ferrol and very cheap), Eumesa - Pontedeume, Garelos - Betanzos, Pension Meson Nov0 - Bruma (Meson Do Vento 1km diversion from route), PR Hortas - S de Compostela. All extremely comfortable, all reserved through Booking.com with free cancellation up to 1-2 days before. Meson Novo was excepted from this but the cancellation/amendment fee was minimal. Garelos was pretty expensive (EUR 50+ incl breakfast).
I had a report that the San Vicente, 4km after Sigueiro, was comfortable but expensive (approx EUR 75 with dinner and breakfast). However, it does leave you just a 12km walk into Santiago, important if you wish to make the midday Pilgrims' Mass on the day that you arrive.

Travel - if arriving on the Heathrow - Coruna flight at 20:15, provided it is on time there is sufficient time to catch the 20:45 airport bus (EUR 1.50) into Coruna and transfer to the either the train or bus station for Ferrol on the 21:30 departures. Get off the airport bus on Av. Alcalde Alfonso Molina. Go left for the bus station or right over the bridge over the main road to the train station. Bus driver will advise correct stop.

For those that asked in the thread about private accommodation on and between the stages, I have updated my Camino Ingles google map with latest routing and as many accommodation details as I can locate. I will post it up later tonight or tomorrow.

Saludos
Mig

Last edited:
Hi,

As mentioned in the previous post, attached is a kmz file which can be opened in Google Earth. Just download the file open it and it should automatically open Google Earth (works on Windows and Android, not tested on Apple kit). This shows the exact route from Ferrol (and the alternative leg from La Coruna) divided into five day stages, although obviously you can walk more or less each day as fits your schedule.

The file also contains a section with accommodation options both on the route and, for the benefit of those looking to walk shorter days and then taxi or walk to accommodation, hotels and pensions in towns near the route. Each accommodation pin has a website attached to it which will either be the accommodation's own website or where I have not been able to locate this, a link via booking.com, Trip Advisor or the like.

The accommodation list is by no means exhaustive so I am happy to add more if other "Inglesas" are able to provide details of where they have stayed and preferably a precise location as well.

Camino_Ingles_Oct2014_Ver2.kmz

Two more updates:
PR La Posteisa was mentioned by a walking companion as a good overnight option in Coruna before transferring to Ferrol the next day to walk. The Pension is located a very short taxi ride (their website says no more than 8 Euros) or a 30 minute, straightforward walk for the really adventurous. Transfer to Ferrol can be made from the rail station at O Burgo Santiago, although I understand that this is a halt so you need to make yourself visible to the train driver to ensure he stops. The hotelier is very friendly and will give more guidance and if you are lucky drop you off at the station!

Casa Julia (before the climb to Bruma) was open for the first time in my four walks past the place. Food was excellent, very cheap and because of an injury my walking companion that morning made use of the taxi service provided by Antonio at PR Meson Novo to break the stage into two separate days. Very easy to arrange and pick up was within 15 minutes of calling and luckily without prior arrangement, although it would no doubt be better to arrange this ahead of time.

Mig

Attachments

• Camino_Ingles_Oct2014_Ver2.kmz
    77.9 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Thank you for creating this, Mig! I wasn't able to open it in Google Earth, but from my iPhone it did open in the "Maps With Me" app that I used myself on the Camino Ingles in June. I already had the places we stayed and various points on the route marked, but your document then overlayed the actual Camino path, which is something I did not previously have. This will be so helpful when I return next year!

In June of this year, we did a very "slow Camino", walking from Ferrol to Santiago in 11 days. As a result, we had a chance to stay at many small pensiones and hotels. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information on any of these to include in your map, Mig (I have gps for all from my map app).

Pension Maragoto - Neda: This place is right up the hill from the albergue in Neda. If you google it, results also turn up as Hostal Maragoto.
Avenida Xubia, 12
15510 Neda - A Coruna
+34 981 34 73 04

Hotel Sarga - Cabanas: Fine for an aging beach hotel. Just 1km from Pontedeume.
Arenal, 7
15621 Cabanas - A Coruna
+34 981 43 10 00
On Booking.com

Hostal Brisa - Mino: This place is a couple of kms past Mino and off of the Camino, but now that I see the actual camino route from Mig's map, it's not actually that far from the Camino path. Views of the river from the back of the property were amazing. Their website says they have 10 rooms, but I only saw 4.
www.hostalbrisa.com
Insua 161-165, 15319 Mino
+34 981 78 20 22
hostalbrisa@gmail.com

Hotel Palacete Betanzos: Lovely hotel just up the hill from the main downtown area of beautiful Betanzos. What a picture perfect town! In room mini-fridge very handy.
www.hotel-palacetebetanzos.com/en/
Carretere Castilla, 38
Betanzos
+34 981 77 55 55

Casa Manolo - Abegondo: Located 3 - 4k off of the Camino, mostly uphill. I called a taxi from Betanzos (Taxi 10) to fetch me at the church in Cos. The innkeeper called a taxi from Abegondo to return us to Cos in the morning. Excellent restaurant on site.
O Monte , 22
15318 Abegondo - A Coruña
+34 981 67 30 06
restaurantecasamanolo@gmail.com

Pension O Meson Novo - Meson do Vento: Not much I can add to what's already been said about this wonderful family run establishment. You can reserve on booking.com, or directly with Antonio.
Rua Santiago Apostol, 86
Meson do Vento, Ordes
+34 981 69 27 7
www.mesonnovo.blogspot.com
mesonnovo@mesonnovo.com / antonio@mesonnovo.com

Casa Rural Dona Maria - As Buscas: Just 8km past Meson Novo, so most folks wouldn't have the need to stay here, but what a treat if you decide to. You can reserve on booking.com or directly with Juan.
Lugar A Rua, 12
15680, San Paio de Buscas
+34 981 68 14 30
www.casadonamaria.es
info@casadonamaria.es

We stayed at San Vicente on the other side of Sigueiro, but seeing the great reviews of the recently opened Albergue de Delia, I would stay there next time.

Just finished (re-)packing my rucksack and leave for the airport shortly for flight to A Coruna. Although the weather forecast is not great I'm looking forward to getting on the road and being in Santiago (hopefully there on Sunday in time for the forum 10th birthday celebrations - party at Ivar's, right! ;))

Buen Camino
Mig
Hello Miguel,
Are you in the middle of walking your camino ingles or already done? I have a favour to ask if it is possible. I'm trying to trace the contact info of a good fellow pilgrim on Camino Ingles. I walked this route beginning of August and was at Albergue de Bruma on August 4 2014. There, I met a gentleman about an hour from the albergue, who was kind enough to wait for me along the way and later, walked me to the grocery store and showed me the bus stop to Santiago for the following morning as I had to cut short my walk in Bruma. I never had a chance to ask for his contact info. He told me his full name but I only remember his first name, Hans. I hope that his full name with his city of origin and possibly phone number will be in the pilgrim registry at Albergue do Bruma on August 4, 2014. I was there the same night, and my name (Helen)should be next to his. All I can remember about him is that he is german but was born and lived in North Italy. He walked the camino ingles a couple of times and he told me of this one time when he was the only pilgrim at albergue of Bruma. The hospitalero at Bruma seems to know him. So, if you read this message before you arrive and possibly rest in Bruma, can you please ask the permission to look up his contact info in the registry for me please?
I would like to be able to send Hans a thank you note. I would call the albergue phone number to ask but I can't speak Spanish and the hospitalero there doesn't speak English, he is very kind and helpful otherwise. If you could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Helen

€83,-
Sorry Helen, I am already home but didn't visit the Albergue at Bruma. You could open a new thread in the Camino Ingles forum and ask your question again for anybody walking that way in the next few weeks.

Sorry I couldn't help.
Mig

Sorry Helen, I am already home but didn't visit the Albergue at Bruma. You could open a new thread in the Camino Ingles forum and ask your question again for anybody walking that way in the next few weeks.

Sorry I couldn't help.
Mig
No problem, Miguel. I will. Thanks for the advice.
Cheers

Thanks for this additional information, some of those establishments are already marked but some are new. I will try and get them added in due course but will PM if I need any further info to locate.
The kmz file in the first post has been updated with @mylifeonvacation 's stopover suggestions, plus some extra hotels in Naron, Pontedeume, Ferrol, accurate positioning of the Albergue in Mino and slight change to the route between Casa Julia and Bruma (the bit up the hill) which on review was not quite correct. I have also added the Pension Chocolateria in Betanzos but only with an approximate position, could not spot the place on Street View. If anyone can confirm the exact location that would be great?

Please advise with any further updates or if any of the embedded hotel links either don't work or stop working in the future. It would be good to keep it up to date but I can only do this with feedback from people walking the route. ;)

Many Thanks
Mig

It could be a good idea if Johnny Walker adds this great to his guide ,as far this haven't be done yet. I know he is very alert and keen about this kind of information.

John is heading off on Pilgrimage for a couple of months so not likely to be added this side of Christmas. Not sure exactly how it could be embedded as it only really works electronically. I'll have a think about it.

Hi, apologies for the delay adding to this thread. Some further updates.....

Credencial in Ferrol - I visited the main tourist office in Rua Magdalena for 9am but this turned out to be closed for the winter. There is an alternative set up in the Government building approx, left and approx. 100m up from the tourist office in the square. They also opened at 9am but do not hold a stock of Pilgrim Office credencials. They offered a Camino Inlges Pilgrim Passport filled with map, elevation profiles, stage descriptions and most importantly a sello section to collect 10-12 stamps. There is only room for this amount so if intending to walk for more than 5 or 6 days or you are an avid sello collector then a full credential would be better. I was also told that the pilgrim passport was not accepted by the Pilgrim Office in order to claim a Compostela. I checked with Johnnie Walker at the office and this is not correct (the sellos from 100km + are the important thing) so I continued with the passport. It is a nice fold out document in itself and a nice souvenir of the Ingles. A proper credential can be obtained from one of the churches in Ferrol (I can't recall the name) but this did not open until 10am (I heard from a walking companion later in the week it was actually about 10:30am).

Diversions - There was a temporary diversion for works, signed at the industrial estate immediately after Cafeteria Vilar do Colo on the stage to Pontedeume. The diversion is very clear and takes you through rather than behind the industrial estate but only for about 750m. There are major roadworks on the Rúa dos Basquiños on the way into Santiago city. Although closed to road traffic there is pedestrian access, clearly marked. I don't recall anything else (@Travellingman, any other updates you can think of?)

Albergues - I did not stay in Albergues but the ones that I passed directly (Neda, Pontedeume, Bruma) were either already open or had contact details for the keyholder posted nearby. I am aware that people also stayed in the Albergues at Mino and Betanzos that week.

Hotels - I stayed in the following. Almendra - Ferrol (very near train and bus station for those arriving late into Ferrol and very cheap), Eumesa - Pontedeume, Garelos - Betanzos, Pension Meson Nov0 - Bruma (Meson Do Vento 1km diversion from route), PR Hortas - S de Compostela. All extremely comfortable, all reserved through Booking.com with free cancellation up to 1-2 days before. Meson Novo was excepted from this but the cancellation/amendment fee was minimal. Garelos was pretty expensive (EUR 50+ incl breakfast).
I had a report that the San Vicente, 4km after Sigueiro, was comfortable but expensive (approx EUR 75 with dinner and breakfast). However, it does leave you just a 12km walk into Santiago, important if you wish to make the midday Pilgrims' Mass on the day that you arrive.

Travel - if arriving on the Heathrow - Coruna flight at 20:15, provided it is on time there is sufficient time to catch the 20:45 airport bus (EUR 1.50) into Coruna and transfer to the either the train or bus station for Ferrol on the 21:30 departures. Get off the airport bus on Av. Alcalde Alfonso Molina. Go left for the bus station or right over the bridge over the main road to the train station. Bus driver will advise correct stop.

For those that asked in the thread about private accommodation on and between the stages, I have updated my Camino Ingles google map with latest routing and as many accommodation details as I can locate. I will post it up later tonight or tomorrow.

Saludos
Mig
Hi mig,
you seem like a high tech guy and I'm a bit of an old tech paper and pen person but I'll be walking the camino Ingles next year with a new samsung phone.
How can I best get the route with accomodations along it on an android device . Do I need to have google maps and use your kmz file above or is there a method that uses less data? I will have a Spanish sim card in it. I note the app used by "mylifeonvacation" on her iphone.
I'm just learning a lot of this for the first time.. so please excuse the silliness of the question.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just read with great interest that google maps will be available now for offline use, starting with Android: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2015/11/navigate-and-search-real-world-online.html?m=1

I used the Maps With Me app offline quite a bit, it always showed my location and direction on the map even in the middle of the woods. Of course, I don't know anything about its availability on Android. But for my iPhone, I was able to very easily download Mig's kmz file. I liked the Maps With Me app, too, for the ability to make my own pin drops and notes (where I took breaks, where I saw special things, etc.). Very easy to use!

Not sure if the file could also be downloaded to the google maps app, which is on Andriod. I'm normally pretty "pencil to paper" too!! Buen Camino to you!!

Last edited:
Offline maps work reasonably well for me on my Samsung/Android tablet. Not something I would like to rely on in the wilderness, but quite handy in more urban situations. Buen Camino, SY

I have been trying the Android IGN app, which has good online mapping and links to all the camino routes in Spain. I have yet to succeed in getting the offline maps downloaded, but I will keep trying and let you know if that works.

Update: I have been able to download two of the map sets/tiles to a tablet. They take a very long time to download, and when unzipped each are around 1Gbyte. The layering is excellent, with increasing levels of detail as one zooms in, ending up with quite detailed contour lines for the topographic information at the highest zoom levels.

I am not sure how many tiles would be needed to cover the Ingles, but I am currently downloading the Lugo tile. At this time, I haven't found a mechanism for determining which tiles need to be downloaded. The IGN website assumes some local knowledge that I don't have. I will keep looking and see what I can find out.

Last edited:
Hi mig,
you seem like a high tech guy and I'm a bit of an old tech paper and pen person but I'll be walking the camino Ingles next year with a new samsung phone.
How can I best get the route with accomodations along it on an android device . Do I need to have google maps and use your kmz file above or is there a method that uses less data? I will have a Spanish sim card in it. I note the app used by "mylifeonvacation" on her iphone.
I'm just learning a lot of this for the first time.. so please excuse the silliness of the question.
Hi Wendy,
To be honest I don't walk using the maps as I don't have a foreign data plan but if you install the Android Google Earth app, download the kmz file and click on it once downloaded it should automatically open in Google Earth. You will probably need to have a data plan attached to your Spanish sim card to make best use while walking otherwise you could just view when connected to wi-fi. If I get time at the weekend I will experiment a bit to see whether there is any element of offline or cached mapping in the Google Earth app or alternatively whether the file can be saved and used in an offline mode in the Google Maps application.

I am walking the Ingles again myself next year, taking a group along, so I have a vested interest in getting it working and distributing the file to them.

Bear in mind that there are some changes to the route coming along on the stretch before Bruma, I think it will now completely bypass Casa Julia and the steep hill beyond it but I don't know what progress has been made on putting that into place.

I'll post back as and when I have more information.

Spookily, my mother-in-law turned up tonight with a brand new Samsung Android and I have spent the last few hours configuring it and transferring stuff from her old phone. As part payment for that (as she has already promised a bottle of Torres Cognac) I took the opportunity to download Google Earth to it and tried the download of the kmz and it worked perfectly. I didn't play around with the caching/off line maps as three hours of mother-in-law is enough for one night ;)

Mig

......... I have also added the Pension Chocolateria in Betanzos but only with an approximate position, could not spot the place on Street View. If anyone can confirm the exact location that would be great?
Many Thanks
Mig
The Chocolateria is on Pza. Padre Francisco Blanco, 2 - 15300 in Betanzos - Street view does not go into the plaza. but it is near Rua Pinto Seijo Rubio.
I found the information here in Paxinas Gallego
When we stayed there in 2011 we had to go to the actual Choclateria to be taken to the hostal, then back to the cafe to pay and receive the key. You could just pay etc but they wanted to show us the room first.

Hi Wendy,
To be honest I don't walk using the maps as I don't have a foreign data plan but if you install the Android Google Earth app, download the kmz file and click on it once downloaded it should automatically open in Google Earth. You will probably need to have a data plan attached to your Spanish sim card to make best use while walking otherwise you could just view when connected to wi-fi. If I get time at the weekend I will experiment a bit to see whether there is any element of offline or cached mapping in the Google Earth app or alternatively whether the file can be saved and used in an offline mode in the Google Maps application.

I am walking the Ingles again myself next year, taking a group along, so I have a vested interest in getting it working and distributing the file to them.

Bear in mind that there are some changes to the route coming along on the stretch before Bruma, I think it will now completely bypass Casa Julia and the steep hill beyond it but I don't know what progress has been made on putting that into place.

I'll post back as and when I have more information.

Spookily, my mother-in-law turned up tonight with a brand new Samsung Android and I have spent the last few hours configuring it and transferring stuff from her old phone. As part payment for that (as she has already promised a bottle of Torres Cognac) I took the opportunity to download Google Earth to it and tried the download of the kmz and it worked perfectly. I didn't play around with the caching/off line maps as three hours of mother-in-law is enough for one night ;)

Mig
Ahhhh very spooky miguel.

I would appreciate your experimental results mig. I wont be walking it until next year after repeating the spanish route from
st john. At what stage of the year do you anticipate being there?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@federico - This is the thread with the kmz file for the English Route. And a lot more great info! Buen Camino!!

The Chocolateria is on Pza. Padre Francisco Blanco, 2 - 15300 in Betanzos - Street view does not go into the plaza. but it is near Rua Pinto Seijo Rubio.
I found the information here in Paxinas Gallego
When we stayed there in 2011 we had to go to the actual Choclateria to be taken to the hostal, then back to the cafe to pay and receive the key. You could just pay etc but they wanted to show us the room first.
Hi @Tia Valeria , @miguel_gp

Tks for links. Also some info for Mig.
I've just booked a room in the betanzos chocolateria for mañana 19/6/17. Lady quoted E15 for individual room.
Tonight I'm in pontedeume. Pension bar Luis did not have a room available for me but I called the pension directly opposite.
Allegue 2 star pension. Individual (single ). My room has 3 camas ! Is E20. Wifi and has private bathroom - seems quiet enough too (at the moment )
I walked over the bridge with a young girl going to the Albergue. She said it is the best one on the Inglés but I was so hot and tired - easier to go private and leave the Albergue for many later arrivals.
Annie

€83,-
Enjoy, Annie! I'll be on the Inglés in July and am booking ahead everything as well. Are you breaking up Betanzos - Bruma at all?
I hadn't thought that far ahead?
I've never needed a siesta on previous caminos but the humidity and blue skies are tiring this peregrina! First thing I've done on last 2 days was have a kip for around 2 hrs. !!
@natefaith , I've got plenty of time so do you suggest a stop in between Betanzos and Bruma.
I'd like to book it tonight if possible.
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Annie, I haven't walked it yet so I can't recommend anything per se. Presedo does have an albergue 12 km from Betanzos.

I know @Tia Valeria and @TerryB stayed in O Mesón Novo (in Mesón do Vento) for two nights, getting dropped off where they had stopped the previous day (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-slow-camino-inglés-may-2015.34739/). When I walk in July I've got two nights in Betanzos booked, so I'll be walking as far as I can the day after Betanzos and then hopefully getting a bus or taxi back to Betanzos.

Hope something in all that helps you plan :). Stay cool and Buen Camino! It really is hot out there. Take it easy.
Faith

Hi Annie, I haven't walked it yet so I can't recommend anything per se. Presedo does have an albergue 12 km from Betanzos.

I know @Tia Valeria and @TerryB stayed in O Mesón Novo (in Mesón do Vento) for two nights, getting dropped off where they had stopped the previous day (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-slow-camino-inglés-may-2015.34739/). When I walk in July I've got two nights in Betanzos booked, so I'll be walking as far as I can the day after Betanzos and then hopefully getting a bus or taxi back to Betanzos.

Hope something in all that helps you plan :). Stay cool and Buen Camino! It really is hot out there. Take it easy.
Faith
Yes it does help Faith.
Especially the bit about being picked up and returned
I'll look into that as a stop.
Crazy to try 28kms in the heat.
Good luck with your plans for July
Annie

Yes, I would not try 28 kms in the heat we're having now! Although, who knows, maybe it's cooler on the Camino than it is in the suburbs of Santiago :).

Take care,
Faith

Thoroughly recommend PR O Meson Novo. They are a lovely family and a great place to stay. Only 7 rooms though so book tonight if you can. Hotel Canaima is the other option in Meson but you would need a taxi there and back the next morning.
I tried to book tonight but when I called I was told the boss wasn't there and to try tomorrow
- would booking dot com give the same price as calling direct ?
Annie

€149,-
I tried to book tonight but when I called I was told the boss wasn't there and to try tomorrow
Annie

Why not try using their own web to book directly?
http://www.mesonnovo.com/

It is always worth checking directly with an accommodation listed by any booking service! Both availabilities and/or prices may differ. Such accommodation pays a fee to that service and thus their stated price on that service link reflects that fee. Furthermore all rooms are not always listed with any service.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hi, I think that their website has no direct booking facility. Just a link to booking.com and other agents or direct phone/email contact details. That said, I try to book direct when I know the people regardless of any price differential just so that there is no commission to the agency.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie
O Meson Novo's own site lists 2 phone numbers the first is their landline the second is a mobile number.
Lovely people. You will need to call the mobile number to arrange your pick up when you reach Casa Julia, or other arranged pick up point.
If O Meson Novo is fully booked another option apart from the Canaima would be to return to Betanzos by taxi and then out again next day, unless booking.com now shows anything else which is nearer.

Last edited:
All sorted now with Antonio.
I've booked for 2 nights. I hadn't realised earlier that Meson Nova is further along a stage .
So I'll walk to them the following day.

I'm okay now with correct phone number for pick up and Antonio tells me I can call him (his mobile number ) from bar Julia or if I need earlier , then from church at Leira

Thank everybody
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.