• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino ingles or camino portuges?

y.benzur

i'm doing for the first time the camino on june 2013 - what is the better way to walk in this period of year? what is the diffrences between them?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Ingles the end of last June from Ferrol to Santiago.

If you want a certificate you cannot start in A Coruna since the distance to Santiago is not 100 KM.

It took 5 days. There were few other pilgrims on route which provided the solitude I was looking for.

Be sure to get Johnny Walkers guide.

Buen Camino

JMarshall wrote:

cannot start in A Coruna since the distance to Santiago is not 100 KM
There seem to be two ways to start the Camino Ingles from London to earn the Compostela. One is to fly to A Coruna and bus/walk to Ferrol. The other is to fly to Santiago and catch a bus to Ferrol. Then walk the 100+ KM from Ferrol to Santiago to "qualify" for the certificate.

There are more flights to Santiago from London than to A Coruna. The question is this .....does it detract, and spoil the surprises, to bus the route from Santiago Airport to Ferrol then walk the same route back to the Santiago Cathedral from Ferrol?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thank you for the reply
i still want to know - for the first time, do you suggest to walk the final part of the french way that is much more popoular or to walk the ingles from ferrol?

To NaKwendaSafari

I flew from Stanstead to Santiago. Then took a bus to Ferrol. I started my Camino right at the harbor the next morning. I think the bus ride and afternoon in Ferrol really added to my Camino since I was able to see the general countryside before hiking through it, and to also enjoy a relaxing evening in Ferrol before starting. I have fond memories walking around Ferrol in the evening watching all the people.

The evening before starting my Camino I walked down to the harbor so I would know exactly where to start. Early the following morning, with my backpack, I walked to the harbor and then on to Pontedume.

After the first day the Ingles Camino moves away from busy roads and into the country side. The bus ride didn't diminish my enjoyment of the trails, in fact very few of the things I remember on my Camino would even be visible from the bus.

After finishing the Camino, I took the train to A Coruna to fly back to the UK. The flight from A Coruna was necessary to make connections.

To y.benzur

Hard to answer for you. I chose the Camino Ingles because it was supposed to be far less crowded and I was seeking solitude and reflection. My Camino gave me that. Others were rarely visible on the trail.

If being on a trail with more pilgrims around you is important you probably should consider the Camino Frances.

Also, bus connections to Ferrol are frequent.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have done the Ingles twice. It is wonderful for those who want solitude and time for reflection for a few days.
I would like to do the "formal" Frances route, but am frankly concerned about the crowds. Don't know if that is a legitimate concern, but I do not believe I would like to be constantly walking among others. It's a tough call for me.

The Camino is not about the piece of paper or scroll that you collect at Santiago. It's about the journey. And all the lovely people you meet on that journey. And all the exciting events that happen along that journey. I walked part of the Camino Frances in April. It was truly magical.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back