• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles or Norte?

AnnaWalks123

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues, May 2018
Hello all!

After hearing about my Camino experience last May, my mom has decided she would like to walk the Camino with me. We are planning for early May 2019. I loved the Camino Portuguese, but would like to experience another route. She only wants to do the last 100 km. That being said, would other pilgrims recommend we do the Ingles or do the last 100 of the Norte? I'm open to other route suggestions as well!

Something of note: she is 71 and she's got bad knees, so I am trying to take into consideration a route that is not TOO challenging. I think she'll find she can do more than she thinks once we start and I have told her that most of my pilgrim buddies last year were closer in age to her than me, but she's still skeptical. Thanks very much!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I started reading your post my first thought was the Ingles. It's a great first Camino. First couple of days are only about 15km or so. But I don't like the route changes from last year, bit too much road walking now. And there are some steep bits. The norte/French option would be busy. Some people love that some don't. I'm afraid I don't. I'd say it depends on your mum's knees. If you're worried about them I would actually recommend going back.to the Portuguese (sorry). Purely because it's flatter and more off road. If you want to push her a bit then the Ingles. Because it's quieter and you get to do a "full" route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The last 100 k of the Norte, starting in Baamonde, is quite serene, and not at all demanding. The route has changed so that you now avoid linking up with the Frances until the very last day — either at O Rua / Pedrouzo or near the Santiago airport. For complete information about the new route, see this resource: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-lavacolla-and-avoid-the-hordes-at-arzúa.681/
The new and original routes are also both described in the Wise Pilgrim app.

i agree with Phil71 above. There is now a lot more road-walking on the Ingles, often on relatively busy roads. While much of this last section of the Norte is on pavement, it is usually on more tranquil roads.

Note that if you do choose the Norte, it will not be a social experience, like the Frances or Portuguese. You’ll meet people in the evenings, but few while walking. However, if you find it too isolated, you can always follow the original routing, and link up with the Frances at Arzua.

Last edited:
The last 100 k of the Norte, starting in Baamonde, is quite serene, and not at all demanding. The route has changed so that you now avoid linking up with the Frances until the very last day — either at O Rua / Pedrouzo or near the Santiago airport. For complete information about the new route, see this resource: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-lavacolla-and-avoid-the-hordes-at-arzúa.681/
The new and original routes are also both described in the Wise Pilgrim app.

i agree with Phil71 above. There is now a lot more road-walking on the Ingles, often on relatively busy roads. While much of this last section of the Norte is on pavement, it is usually on more tranquil roads.

Note that if you do choose the Norte, it will not be a social experience, like the Frances or Portuguese. You’ll meet people in the evenings, but few while walking. However, if you find it too isolated, you can always follow the original routing, and link up with the Frances at Arzua.

Davebugg’s posts are usually very informative, but he is confusing here. He is talking about the Primitivo, another route altogether, which branches off from the Norte many hundreds of miles previously. The Norte itself (such as I am describing) continues past the intersection with the Primitivo.

Thanks for clearing that up, Andy, I appreciate it. :) I had always associated using the Primitivo with the Norte when I have thought of doing the Norte, and just spaced out the real route. <shaking head> I'm going to edit my post to remove the incorrect information.

One thing against the Ingles, whilst it is quiet, and you walk a whole Camino, is that it does not have the infrastructure of busier Caminos. By infrastructure, I mean it can be up to 2 hours walk until you reach the next shop, cafe, restaurant or bar, and there are few water fountains. You therefore need to carry provisions with you to make you last the day. Something to bear in mind if your mother is 71, has bad knees, and needs to stop at more regular intervals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all!

After hearing about my Camino experience last May, my mom has decided she would like to walk the Camino with me. We are planning for early May 2019. I loved the Camino Portuguese, but would like to experience another route. She only wants to do the last 100 km. That being said, would other pilgrims recommend we do the Ingles or do the last 100 of the Norte? I'm open to other route suggestions as well!

Something of note: she is 71 and she's got bad knees, so I am trying to take into consideration a route that is not TOO challenging. I think she'll find she can do more than she thinks once we start and I have told her that most of my pilgrim buddies last year were closer in age to her than me, but she's still skeptical. Thanks very much!
Ingles to start from Ferrol

An option could be to start from the nice town of Betanzos and walk for 3 days to SdC, If your Mum was feeling fine and wanted to walk further you could carry on to the Finisterre? This would mean two short walks, one ending at the Cathedral and the other at the seaside. Ignore this suggestion if receiving the Compostela is important?

Hello all!

My husband - 79 and I - 76 - walked the Ingles last May. It was a very easy walk for us. We walked the new route - a bit disappointing because of much road walking. We did the Portuguese from Tui the year before and enjoyed this Camino so much more. However a bit more challenging in the hot September climate. Bon Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Surely it must be possible to revert to less road version of the Ingles? It seems a shame this new route appears to have changed it for the worst

Hello all!

Whichever route you decide you will both have a brilliant time together, even if you catch the bus occasionally. Indeed, that can be as much fun too.

I have bad knees (arthritis) and prefer to cycle. But that's just me. My own suggestion would be for your mum to check out with her doctor, the local sports centre, a physiotherapist, or even the internet for exercises which would alleviate her knee pain. I used to have a horrendous problem even cycling with my knees but as long as I keep up the exercises I keep the pain at bay. I'm also 71 and hope to ride the Del Norte this year with my husband of 78. We rode the Camino de Santiago back in 2013 (our website shows that it can be done! www.cyclingsofties.blog) and I've heard that the Norte is more challenging!

I would really like to hear from someone who has walked the Ingles recently. If there is a lot of road walking, and if there are a lot of hills: is the last 100km of the Norte easier than the new Ingles for an old woman of 71 (!) who has dodgy knees? Yes, I am a chicken. in terms of preferring to be able to do it than take a taxi...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ingles is about 50% walking on tarmac, but the majority of this is walking on country lanes where you walk down the middle of the road and can see and hear the traffic as and when it comes.

There are two quite large hills, out of Pontedeume and Betanzos, each taking about 30 minutes to climb up, but they come at the very start of a stage, when you are hopefully slept, breakfasted and refreshed. Other than that, the last 100 km of the Norte runs through Galicia, and therefore the terrain, in terms of flatness should be similar.

I have written earlier, that where the Ingles is tougher than other Caminos is the infrastructure, in terms of frequency of albergues, hotels, bars, restaurants, water fountains. If you are prepared, then this should not be an issue, but if you do not plan, this can cause problems.

Where the Ingles has an advantage is that if you only have a week or so, you walk the whole of a Camino from start to finish. Somehow, this gives you a different feeling when you queue up at the pilgrim's office in Santiago for your compostela, than if you had walked the last 100km of a longer camino.

Ingles is about 50% walking on tarmac, but the majority of this is walking on country lanes where you walk down the middle of the road and can see and hear the traffic as and when it comes.

There are two quite large hills, out of Pontedeume and Betanzos, each taking about 30 minutes to climb up, but they come at the very start of a stage, when you are hopefully slept, breakfasted and refreshed. Other than that, the last 100 km of the Norte runs through Galicia, and therefore the terrain, in terms of flatness should be similar.

I have written earlier, that where the Ingles is tougher than other Caminos is the infrastructure, in terms of frequency of albergues, hotels, bars, restaurants, water fountains. If you are prepared, then this should not be an issue, but if you do not plan, this can cause problems.

Where the Ingles has an advantage is that if you only have a week or so, you walk the whole of a Camino from start to finish. Somehow, this gives you a different feeling when you queue up at the pilgrim's office in Santiago for your compostela, than if you had walked the last 100km of a longer camino.
Thanks so much. I had not taken the 'whole' into account. I appreciate the time you took to reply.

The last 100 k of the Norte, starting in Baamonde, is quite serene, and not at all demanding. The route has changed so that you now avoid linking up with the Frances until the very last day — either at O Rua / Pedrouzo or near the Santiago airport. For complete information about the new route, see this resource..
Interesting information that just changed our thoughts from Camino on the Inglés to Camino de Norte. Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would recommend the Ingles, it was my first back in 2012 and am heading back to repeat it in October. Cannot wait although a little concerned about the comments made on here about some of the route changes. I'm sure it will be fine though.
I have walked the first five stages of the Norte and am also going to repeat that in May (lucky me) but cannot comment on the last stages, hopefully I will be able to one day in the future.
There are hills of course to navigate on the Ingles but I'm sure you will both be fine, just slow down and enjoy the surroundings...Buen Camino!!!

One thing against the Ingles, whilst it is quiet, and you walk a whole Camino, is that it does not have the infrastructure of busier Caminos. By infrastructure, I mean it can be up to 2 hours walk until you reach the next shop, cafe, restaurant or bar, and there are few water fountains. You therefore need to carry provisions with you to make you last the day. Something to bear in mind if your mother is 71, has bad knees, and needs to stop at more regular intervals.

I am 70 with bad knees and walked the CI last October. Wonderful weather +20 and only one morning of showery rain. I stayed every night in alberques -no booking, didn’t carry food and loved every minute

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back