• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino ingles. Starting in UK

SRutledge

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in 2018
I have been thinking about doing another Camino in 2019, and this idea occurred to me. I would welcome any suggestions criticisms or advice. I was thinking of doing the English way but starting in England. Like for example the Cornwall way. Then maybe if there is such a thing a ferry over to Spain to do the cam,i o from Ferrol. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if this is even possible? Very much open to all of the comments.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, @SRutledge ,

Not only possible but also a requirement to walk at least 25km at home first if you want to obtain Compostela after starting Camino Ingles from A Coruna. If starting in Ferrol you don't have to walk in UK.

I remember recent post about UK-Spain ferries and I think there is still ferry line (without a vehicle) Southampton (?) - Santander.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Thank you in point of fact I wished to work in England first so what you’re saying is do that, and then start in a Coruna

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Work or walk? ;)

I couldn't decide on whether to walk from Coruna or Ferrol earlier this year so I walked the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Dover and, the next week, flew to SdC, decided on Ferrol so caught the train and walked from there.

Quite a pleasant walk from Canterbury - mainly cross country footpaths and you see some beautifully understated churches in the city itself and St Martin, St Mary's, St Margaret, St Andrew (nice pub too) and St Peter's along the way. All have stamps except St Peter's (which is rarely open anyway).

Attachments

• Waypoints.kmz
    1.1 KB · Views: 32
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Plymouth and Cork, sail to Santander/ Bilbao, I think, Have a look on their website.

Have you thought about first walking the quite amazing and personally very recommended Pilgrims' Way from Winchester Cathedral to Canterbury ? I suggest that if time allows, commencing at Salisbury Cathedral and walking on the Clarendon Way to Winchester before proceeding to Canterbury.

The walk is satisfying in so many respects, and the Cathedrals of Salisbury, Winchester and Canterbury are each deservedly World Heritage sites, while the evensong of the choirs at each of the Cathedrals is divine.

Read a post of mine on the walk that is on this site... the walk was a 'prelude' to going to La Coruna and walking from there on the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

Buen Camino !!

I have been thinking about doing another Camino in 2019, and this idea occurred to me. I would welcome any suggestions criticisms or advice. I was thinking of doing the English way but starting in England. Like for example the Cornwall way. Then maybe if there is such a thing a ferry over to Spain to do the cam,i o from Ferrol. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if this is even possible? Very much open to all of the comments.
If you are walking from Ferrol it isn’t necessary to walk a route in England - that only applies if you begin the Ingles in A Coruna.
There are no ferries to Ferrol. Only to the Basque Country.
We are going again next September and flying to S de C - bus ride from there to Ferrol. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked the Ingles route in June and can confirm that walking from Ferrol will qualify you for the Compostela certificate.
You will need to plan for the need to get two stamps per day in your Credential, which you can get by post in advance from the Confraternity of St James in London.
The ferries are slightly restrictive.
Foot passengers are only accepted on the Portsmouth and Plymouth services to Santander; we choose Plymouth for timing reasons.
We took an ALSA bus from Santander to Oviedo and then the narrow gauge FEVE train to Ferrol.
This was our deliberate choice and took two days.
Check the ALSA website for other options.
If you want to get there quicker then check Vueling services to A Coruna followed by bus transfer to Ferrol.
Whatever you decided, have a great time.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You could consider the St James Way ( all or part of it) in the UK from Reading to Southampton. Stamps are available in St James church Reading and Winchester Cathedral. These can be added to the Camino from A Coruna to qualify for a Compostela in SDC see the Confraternity of St James guidebook available from their on-line bookshop. If you take the ferry from Porstmouth to Santander you can walk the Norte towards Ferrol or take the Feve train all the way to Ferrol from Santander....cheers Robi Dorkings

Thank you all for your helpful and very thorough advice. Have not booked yet - but this research is very exciting.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back