• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles terrain

Do I need hiking poles on the Camino Ingles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello!
I'm trying to decide on appropriate gear for my Camino next month. Is the terrain fairly flat and paved, or is it more rugged, requiring walking poles and shoes with traction?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Susan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some steep hills. Fair amount of road. Some dirt path. I don't remember cobblestones or loose rocks.

I walked the Inglés immediately after the Francés last year and while the walking was easier I was happy to have the poles but for different reason. On the Inglés there was a fair amount of rain for me and some of the trails were quite muddy or had water draining down them like a stream. The pole were invaluable to keep me upright and help me walk on the side of the water instead of through it. On the Francés I would not want to walk without them. On the Inglés I would prefer to have them but could have survived without them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I voted "yes", but it kind of depends on if a person likes using poles or not. If you aren't accustomed to using poles, or don't generally find them helpful, then you wouldn't need them on the Ingles. I like having the additional stability and a little assistance going up the hills (of which there are plenty!), although I can only recall one downhill that seemed steep (after Betanzos there's a climb up on roads and then a climb down on a wide forest path), which was not nearly as steep as the downhill into Redondela on the Portuguese, for example. I can only think of one section that might come close to being "rugged", that's the wooded uphill path that goes around (or is just after?) the golf course between Pontedeume and Mino. It's heavily wooded and even on a sunny day was kind of damp with ruts which I can only imagine are quite a challenge in damp or wet conditions.

Whichever way you go, the Ingles is a beautiful, serene route. Buen Camino!

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread but am off on the Ingles this week and although fit and healthy, feel as if I've never been less prepared. I'll definitely be bringing a walking pole but just wondering if any Camino Ingles veterans had any last minute advice for a very last minute person?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread but am off on the Ingles this week and although fit and healthy, feel as if I've never been less prepared. I'll definitely be bringing a walking pole but just wondering if any Camino Ingles veterans had any last minute advice for a very last minute person?
I walked with @JohnnieWalker's guide. Donated, downloaded and printed it out before leaving. There are probably other things that might be added, but I would just suggest you take it easy and enjoy it as much as you can.

Last edited:
I came back from the Ingles a month ago. I was very happy for my one hiking pole, it rained a lot that week, I was there and in some parts the path was very muddy and wet. Thanks to my pole I could walk along the edge of the mudpools instead of walking through the mud.
I did not meet other walkers on the Ingles so I was happy to go to The Pilgrim House when I arrived in SdC. After four days of not really talking to other people it was so nice to be meet by the friendly people in The Pilgrim House.

Buen Camino to you Epona2011 and Susan, it is a lovely Camino.

Thank you Dougfitz and Ekelund for your responses and apologies to Susan for going off topic. Delighted with straightforward advice and kind words.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Susan and epona2011

I just thought of a very important information for you: there is a restaurant in Bruma just across the albergue. It opened in November and you can have dinner and breakfast from 7.30 there if you don't want to bother with bringing your own food. It is a good place to eat.

Hello!
I'm trying to decide on appropriate gear for my Camino next month. Is the terrain fairly flat and paved, or is it more rugged, requiring walking poles and shoes with traction?

Susan,I am no expert walker,but you can walk the Ingles in runners plus a poncho(and I did not take poles). No sweat. Couple of decent hills, which I enjoyed, but no big deal. Nice scenery,easy peasy,no problems. I loved it. Was like a Sunday stroll if you take YOUR own time . One foot in front of the other and you are there!
Susan

Hello!

Thanks for any information you can share.

Susan

we're just back. No, we didnt use poles. The terrain is NOT flat, be ready for uphill/downhill all the way, and uphill everyday out of every stop! Eat a good breakfast! There are some muddy and wet bits, we had boots so were ok.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Susan-my poor knees are delighted with that information. I was just wondering if you had any problem with accommodation along the route?

Am on the way and first day's walking lovely. Only had a couple of wobbly moments when faced with crossing motorway overpasses. Delighted so far that I took the leap and just to say thanks again for great advice from all.

Just finished the Ingles (May 2016). Agree with Susan Jaga. Mixture of about everything. Some mud. Side walks, streets, paths, few rocky (not much) area, gravel roads, sand, all there. Hills. Some steep. You will be blessed with "the hill" after Bar Julia. It's a longgggg one. . By the way, stop in Bar Julia. Nice lady working there. Fill up water bottle. Grab a coffee, beer, sandwich, etc.

Also, when you leave Betanzos there is a nice hill waiting for you. Look for St James on hill top to your left when you leave Betanzos.

Little dog: Forgot where the small park with tables was. But, there is a little dog who loves to great Pedegrinos...he hangs around the park waiting for walkers. Park is out of town some.

I enjoyed the Ingles more than the Frances. Less people walking. Seemed to be nicer people in the towns/cafes, etc.

Mino: walk down street from A'berg. Turn right at large school building. Go up street to main road. Turn left. Few buildings down the main street on your left is great place to eat. Look for fresh fish tank in window. Woman speaks English. Best muscle plate ever had in Spain served there.
Few kms out of Mino: come to "T" at main road. Turn left. Cafe Navedo is across street. Good pit stop. Down from Cafe Navedo is Panderia. Good bread/rolls. Nice woman who works in the store.

Presido: good place to eat is Mesón-Museo... Little walk from A'berg. Out of town.
Directions: Turn left out of A'berg. Then turn right at main road. Walk road till you see Meson on your left. Many notices in A'berges about this Meson. Take time to study the paintings. Talk with owner. Very interesting. Good food as well.
Note: you can eat breakfast at Meson. The Camino is right in back of the Meson. No need to walk back to A'berg to pick up Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have to agree with you about Meson-museo. Stopped there this morning and had an incredible bocadillo with tortilla. Freshly made and good coffee too. Paintings amazing and the lady who runs the place is fantastic. Beautiful building and super clean toilet. A real find, especially after leaving Betanzos at 7am. Tough days walking, I have to add.

Walked last September.Plenty of rain.I do not like poles and did not feel at all disadvantaged wiyhout them. However,my wife and daughter both said they were glad they brought theirs.
So make of that what you will.
Thinking about it,that is not a very helpful answer is it? Sorry!

Walked last September.Plenty of rain.I do not like poles and did not feel at all disadvantaged wiyhout them. However,my wife and daughter both said they were glad they brought theirs.
P.S. Meson-Museo was great.
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Joe,

I thought your response was indeed helpful. Your experience on the Camino Inglés tells me that using poles is a personal preference.

Susan

Have to agree with you about Meson-museo. Stopped there this morning and had an incredible bocadillo with tortilla. Freshly made and good coffee too. Paintings amazing and the lady who runs the place is fantastic. Beautiful building and super clean toilet. A real find, especially after leaving Betanzos at 7am. Tough days walking, I have to add.

@epona2011, you must be a day ahead of me. I stopped in Meson-Museo for breakfast yesterday. Fab place. Have stopped in Sigüero today to enable a short stroll into Santiago in the morning. Buen Camino, Maggie

@epona2011, you must be a day ahead of me. I stopped in Meson-Museo for breakfast yesterday. Fab place. Have stopped in Sigüero today to enable a short stroll into Santiago in the morning. Buen Camino, Maggie
Just on the way home now and also just checking in. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, Maggie! Fabulous but tough in places. Loved it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back