• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles - the thought of it feels a little like cheating :)

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
Hi, everyone.

My first post here, so hopefully there will be no faux pas coming :)

I'm looking at walking some of the Camino in either May or September, and am inclined to walk the Camino Ingles because I may only have a week or so, and prefer the idea of walking a path from beginning to end, as opposed to joining a path where others would have started long before me. Curious to hear what you think about my rationale. Also, I'd be interested in knowing to what degree I'd find other walkers on the Ingles those times of year. And finally, there's part of me that's thinking, "The Camino for only a week? Compared to all the hard walking others do, that's cheating!"

So there you go...all thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

LorneB

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, everyone.

And finally, there's part of me that's thinking, "The Camino for only a week? Compared to all the hard walking others do, that's cheating!"

Thanks,
LorneB

My first Camino was the Norte / Primitivo. My wife's first Camino was the Ingles, which we walked together. My comment then was, "If you can do this, you can do the Primitivo!"
The Ingles is not "easy" and having walked both it and the Primitivo twice, I would say that physically (apart from distance) they are about on a par with each other.
If you only have a week, go and enjoy it!! Be warned - you may catch the "Camino Bug" and want more :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, everyone.

I'm looking at walking some of the Camino in either May or September, and am inclined to walk the Camino Ingles because I may only have a week or so, and prefer the idea of walking a path from beginning to end, as opposed to joining a path where others would have started long before me. Curious to hear what you think about my rationale. Also, I'd be interested in knowing to what degree I'd find other walkers on the Ingles those times of year. And finally, there's part of me that's thinking, "The Camino for only a week? Compared to all the hard walking others do, that's cheating!"

Thanks,

LorneB
Welcome to the forum @LorneB . The Camino Inglés was my first Camino. It is quite strenuous and ideal if you only have a week. Walking it in May (twice) we have found other pilgrims, but not overcrowding. It is not cheating, it is about walking the right Camino for you at the right time. Remember you have to start in Ferrol, or at the latest Neda, to fulfill the 100kms requirement for a Compostela.
Buen Camino

My first Camino was the lovely Ingles. I saw it as an opportunity to test myself To see if I could do this pilgrim thing and if so then walk the Frances the following year.
Well I loved it so much that I was well and truly hooked! I had given myself a week afterwards to base myself in SDC and day trip to other Galician cities. However I left SDC after one day to walk to Fisterra!
I have put one step in front of each other a few times since (some 5,000k by now) and feel that that those first 5 days was so important in my life/evolution. Consequentially the Ingles holds a special place in my heart as the first steps towards where I want to go. My life has been an even more wonderful journey since those days.
OK, so that is a long winded way of saying that it is not how long an experience is but what it achieves that matters. In life a moment can change that life never mind a week full of moments - and what lovely moments they will be for you!
Forget these thought of "cheating". Be true to your feelings. Just go, do it, enjoy it and be proud of yourself for having done it!
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, everyone.

Thanks,

LorneB

Hello, I don't want to offend the webmaster of this site, but this website is just awful. I am so sorry to say it, but with wordpress you can build a much better site!

I have walked the Camino Ingles. We begun in La Coruna. We had great difficulty to get out of city. But that isn't special, because it's always difficult to find the flechas amarillo in big cities. The scenery isn't extraordinary. The landscape isn't so beautiful. It is so average. I wouldn't walk this way anymore. It was a little bit disappointing.

One benefit was that there weren't many pilgrims on the Camino. So no problems with finding a place to sleep. It was quiet. You can walk alone easily. The hostals were just perfect.

We walked the way in three days, if I remember correctly. Two stops overnight. We walked on to Finisterre after a pleasant stay in Santiago de Compostella.

I would recommend people to walk the Camino Primitivo. A wonderful scenery. You have to climb a lot, so it's physically demanding. It goes from Oviedo to Santiago/Finisterre. It took us 13 days to SDC. I am going to walk this Camino this year - DEO VOLENTE- again.

Bon Camino a todo.

Hello, I don't want to offend the webmaster of this site, but this website is just awful. I am so sorry to say it, but with wordpress you can build a much better site!
That's why you've only got 65,000 members & nearly 1/2 million messages on the site @ivar, you are doing it all wrong ;)

I've got to say that I have walked the Ingles 5 times (twice from Coruna and three times from Ferrol) and I would consider it and particularly the first three days from Ferrol very beautiful and rewarding. I don't think that you will be disappointed @LorneB.

Buen Camino

I have walked the Camino Ingles. We begun in La Coruna. We had great difficulty to get out of city. But that isn't special, because it's always difficult to find the flechas amarillo in big cities. The scenery isn't extraordinary. The landscape isn't so beautiful. It is so average. I wouldn't walk this way anymore. It was a little bit disappointing.

Bon Camino a todo.

Hi Joost and welcome here. Hope you will take the time to browse through this forum that is IMHO a logical and userfriendly one.

Now regarding your opinion about the Ingles : not beautiful and average? Again your personal view.

I found it in terms of scenery one of the nicest I walked. And when on a Camino / pilgrimage you take the good , the bad& the ugly roads...;)

Ultreïa!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I don't want to offend the webmaster of this site, but this website is just awful. I am so sorry to say it, but with wordpress you can build a much better site!.
Welcome to the forum, which many of us find excellent. I am sorry if your first impression is negative, maybe after a time you will see it for the great resource it is, and for the friendship etc found here. Speaking personally I dislike wordpress sites.....

As far as the OP is concerned she only has time to walk a short Camino so the Ferrol to Santiago option is good for her. Having walked the Primitivo I agree it is beautiful, but it needs 2 weeks (at least) not jut one. The Inglés has its own beauty and physical demands. I have walked both.
Buen Camino

Hi, everyone.

Thanks,

Camino ingles is a stand alone Camino. 106 km so qualify for credential. A lot of people start Sarria last of Camino Francis. I walked Norte did not like it but that's me. Enjoy and Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, everyone.

Thanks,

LorneB
Wish you all the best on whatever camino / path / route you finally choose, and suggest that the only judgement about cheating will be your own. Each persons experience along their chosen camino / path / route will bring them, as in life, the richness that they can choose to find in it, whether walking 1000kms or 100kms.

Bon Camino !

The Ingles was my first Camino and I loved it - I did it with friends at the end of May, we didn't see many other pilgrims at all - mainly one family who we saw most days. It took us 5 days from Ferrol. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend!
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, everyone.

Thanks,

LorneB
After fleeing the hoards on the Frances, the Ingles allowed us to have that meditative yet challenging Camino we had envisioned. And the sense of completion validated our choice.
DO it!

Hi, everyone.

Thanks,

LorneB
walked it last august great walk met lots of lovely people, you will be a pilgrim whichever route you take to see st. James. good luck.

Just wanted to say thanks, and thanks again, to all the responses here. They are enormously encouraging! Now shifting into serious research mode....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just wanted to say thanks, and thanks again, to all the responses here. They are enormously encouraging! Now shifting into serious research mode....
Do make sure to download @JohnnieWalker 's guide - in the resources section for a donation. :)

My husband and I plan to walk the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol on Friday September 8th and taking seven days over it so we arrive in SdC on 14th September, my Big Birthday (65). We'll be walking with a friend who has scoliosis and so this will be a slow Camino of 10.5 miles a day AND we'll be staying in hotels AND having our luggage transported.
I'm posting to find out if anyone would like to join us/start with us. Also I have an extra hotel room booked (some other friends have dropped out) on booking.com (free cancellation) if you want some company.
(Looking forward to meeting some of you at the Practical Pilgrims Day in London on Feb 11th.)

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back