• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles Update and An Unsurpassed Treasure

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

That distinction belongs solely to Jill.

She has really taken to Camino preparations, including changing her fitness focus for long distance walking. It is so wonderful to see her so excited about doing the Ingles, and pouring over simple details because they are fun for her as part of getting ready to depart.

For me, this is a unique situation. I get to closely observe and interact with someone who is a brand new pilgrim. . . I get to see this all from an external point of view. I remember how exciting it felt as I prepared for my first Camino, it being a whole different type of adventure from traditional backpacking, complete with international travel.

It makes me wonder if what I am seeing with Jill, is the same as what SHE saw from me on that first Camino. Maybe so, maybe not quite the same. . The main difference between her and I is that I was very experienced at walking long distances from backpacking, so I had no anxieties or concerns about THAT part of the Camino. My wide-eyed innocence was how day-to-day life on Camino would actually be, versus what my pre-conceptions were.

Jill is having fun dealing with BOTH newbie long distance walking, PLUS anticipating day-to-day Camino life, PLUS the excitement of her first trip to Europe. :)

I am really cherishing this time: observing Jill the new Pilgrim, and interacting with her, and being caught up in the waves of her excitement as time is getting close; our departure date on October 15 is only about a month away.

It is funny, but I want time to slow down. This is one of those 'Roses of Life' that is worth stopping for, and smelling and enjoying :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dave,
Thank you for putting into words the excitement I feel as prepare to fly out of Portland Oregon a week from tomorrow for my first Camino. To plan well and yet hold those plans loosely as I live into the Camino He has invited me to is very exciting.
Your enthusiasm for another’s journey is wonderful.

Don't forget to plan to take 'tourist time' afterwards. As this is Jill's first European trip, you might as well deliver the full course meal. It will make a difference, especially to her.

I recommend some time in Santiago, followed by a stop in Madrid, Lisbon, or Porto. It depends on your flight routing.

Consider using an 'open jaw;' fly into one city and out of another. It does not cost much more and can really expand your touring possibilities. Example, fly into Ferrol, via Madrid, then home from Madrid, Lisbon or Porto, via Madrid, or wherever...

Also, deposit, or mail ahead a suitcase using the Correos from Ferrol to Ivar at Santiago, or to your reserved Santiago hotel. It is easy to do and not very expensive. This way, your street clothes and other stuff that Jill or you might need or want are waiting for your arrival.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget to plan to take 'tourist time' afterwards. As this is Jill's first European trip, you might as well deliver the full course meal. It will make a difference, especially to her.

I recommend some time in Santiago, followed by a stop in Madrid, Lisbon, or Porto. It depends on your flight routing.

Consider using an 'open jaw;' fly into one city and out of another. It does not cost much more and can really expand your touring possibilities. Example, fly into Ferrol, via Madrid, then home from Madrid, Lisbon or Porto, via Madrid, or wherever...

Also, deposit, or mail ahead a suitcase using the Correos from Ferrol to Ivar at Santiago, or to your reserved Santiago hotel. It is easy to do and not very expensive. This way, your street clothes and other stuff that Jill or you might need or want are waiting for your arrival.

Hope this helps.

Believe me, great minds think alike :)

After the Camino, we have a 21 day European Road Trip planned. We fly out of SdC back to Madrid to take a look around and visit the Prado, etc. Then a flight to Paris for three days of seeing stuff. Jill's only hard request is to visit the Louvre (we have the tickets purchased already). My big thing is an arranged private tour/class at a family run bakery.

We pick up a rental car at Orly airport, and then it is driving and stopping and seeing and eating wherever and whatever we want - - there are a few things are on the must see and do list, but things are fluid. We will be traveling and stopping all through France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, and Germany.

The car gets dropped off at Frankfurt where we are catching our flight home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Outstanding...! Last August (2018) by wife flew over to join me at Santiago in week three of my four-week volunteer stint. We moved from the free, albeit more spartan digs I was in, to a three-star hotel. Over more than 40 years together, I have learned what SHE demands.

While I finished my last week working, my wife played tourist at Santiago and fell in love with the city. Ka Ching! Following my service, we rented a car and drove along the north coast, visiting friends in Bilbao and seeing the Guggenheim. We ended up after a few days in Pamplona for three full days. On one of those days, we drove over the Pyrenees, backwards on the Valcarlos Route to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

The good news is that we had lunch on the deck at Refuge Orisson... she loved it. The bad news is that she hung out of her seat belt on the drive down the steep road into SJPdP, with pilgrims walking up. But, she loved SJPdP totally!

The bad part is that having seen the up-slope she explicitly FORBADE me from ever walking that segment again. And this was AFTER i received a clean bill of health from my cardiologist. So, when I do it again, it will likely involve using Express Bourricot to take me to the turnoff to walk over the frontier into Spain and Roncesvalles...sigh...

After our day playing tourist at SJPdp we returned to Pamplona. The next day we drove to the airport at Madrid to return the car, then spent a few days in Madrid before flying home. The drive was beautiful, across La Mancha, the fields of sunflowers were like a Van Gogh painting.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Believe me, great minds think alike :)

After the Camino, we have a 21 day European Road Trip planned. We fly out of SdC back to Madrid to take a look around and visit the Prado, etc. Then a flight to Paris for three days of seeing stuff. Jill's only hard request is to visit the Louvre (we have the tickets purchased already). My big thing is an arranged private tour/class at a family run bakery.

We pick up a rental car at Orly airport, and then it is driving and stopping and seeing and eating wherever and whatever we want - - there are a few things are on the must see and do list, but things are fluid. We will be traveling and stopping all through France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, and Germany.

The car gets dropped off at Frankfurt where we are catching our flight home.
May this adventure together go by oh so slowly. After reading your beautiful words and thoughts regarding Jill’s first Camino, I have no doubt you will both savour each moment of joy together. Buen Camino and safe journey. 😀

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did you consider starting this Camino in Ireland? Do an approved route (there are several), and when added to the Ingles and totaling over 100 km, it qualifies for a Compostela in Santiago. Here is a link to start;

Did you consider starting this Camino in Ireland? Do an approved route (there are several), and when added to the Ingles and totaling over 100 km, it qualifies for a Compostela in Santiago. Here is a link to start;

Thank you, Michelle. Indeed, I had considered it. I think it is a great option for Camino Ingles. :)

Just a note: The thread has been moved to the 'Camino Ingles' Forum topic site at my request. I had started the thread in the wrong topic area by mistake, thinking I was placing it in 'Miscellaneous' and failed to notice it until a mention was made in a post.

Sorry for any confusion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I last left this thread, it was about the excitement and wonder of a newbie heading out for her first camino. So I was as bit perplexed to read the several reports. I have deleted the snarky posts. I do not have the time nor the energy to go back and search through the history of the relationship between these two forum members. I will say that I value both very much, have learned a lot from both, and hope that both will just steer clear of each other. The “ignore” button may be perfect for you two. But please, do not bring these fights back to the forum.

@davebugg
from someone who has just found this thread and was feeling so excited reading about your travels and also that of Toms last year.... I was quite confused when I arrived at the post saying there were some negative comments posted that have since been deleted by Laurie.. I'm glad I didn't have to read them and I'm sorry that for you, they stick...the deleting doesn't get to your memory.

For those that have cruel negative thoughts....I wish they would just scan and move on. Best left unsaid for everyone. Surely it doesn't make them feel better., (whatever it was)..

However., the happy note... you have only a month to go. I love this time leading up to the camino… it's like an advance extension of the walk.
I'll be following you ..
Buen Camino to you both
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back