• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles vs Camino Portugues

daesdaemar

Camino-holic
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - twice
I did the CI last summer and enjoyed very much. I would like to do a camino again this summer but am limited to about a week. I am considering doing the CI again or possibly the CP from Tui.
I very much enjoyed the solitary experience and would like to avoid crowds if possible. It would be interesting to do something new like the CP, but then again CI was so nice.
Suggestions or comments?

(note: don't mean to duplicate but will also post this in the CP forum for people who hang around there...)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Camino Ingles was certainly devoid of pilgrims last week - which was a double-edged sword in a way, as although I like solitude, it would have been nice to occasionally exchange notes with another at some stage. :D
PS Looks like Gyro is having a similar solitary walk

I also enjoyed the Camino Ingles. I haven't done the Portuguese. How about walking to Finsiterre and Muxia? That is a really good walk.
Muxia/Fisterra - 116 Fistera Way
Ourense - 108 VdlPlata

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
sillydoll said:
I also enjoyed the Camino Ingles. I haven't done the Portuguese. How about walking to Finsiterre and Muxia? That is a really good walk.
Muxia/Fisterra - 116 Fistera Way
Ourense - 108 VdlPlata

I'm having trouble finding the route from Ourense. The sources that I look at for VdlP seem to veer away from that. Help please?

Edit: Never mind... stupid me looking at wrong maps. I found some good guides.

You can get a bus from Santiago to Ourense on Monbus - about 7 buses a day.
www. monbus.es

Sojourner47 said:
The Camino Ingles was certainly devoid of pilgrims last week - which was a double-edged sword in a way, as although I like solitude, it would have been nice to occasionally exchange notes with another at some stage. :D
PS Looks like Gyro is having a similar solitary walk
I am ! just arrived in santiago this afternoon. A procedural plod from Sigueira this morning took me 4 hours to walk the last 18 km or so. And I didn´t see another pilgrim unti I got to the cathedral (no joke)

However, I was told that there were 9 folk who were a day ahead of me, so perhaps I just got lucky. In any event, 5 days of solitude is fine. Last year, walking from Granada to Monterubio de la Serena. I met one group of pilgrims in 14 days ! Man, did I write a lot of letters on that trip...

Gyro

A selection of Camino Jewellery
daesdaemar said:
I did the CI last summer and enjoyed very much. I would like to do a camino again this summer but am limited to about a week. I am considering doing the CI again or possibly the CP from Tui.
I very much enjoyed the solitary experience and would like to avoid crowds if possible. It would be interesting to do something new like the CP, but then again CI was so nice.
Suggestions or comments?

(note: don't mean to duplicate but will also post this in the CP forum for people who hang around there...)

Let me offer my two cents:
1. the Camino Portugese from Oporto (outskirks) to Tui is pretty nice. Why not start there and see how you get on.
2. the Via de la Plata. certainly from Orense to Santiago is interesting. The route gets (or got) a bit turned around in Oseira, but the vast majority of the stages are fine. I also think that this route has the nicest entrance into santiago.
3. If you are feeling adventurous, I would recommend the Camino mozarabe from Granada to Cordoba. An most rewarding route and Cordoba is a worthy destination.

just a thought or two

Gyro

gyro said:
daesdaemar said:
Suggestions or comments?

Let me offer my two cents:
1. the Camino Portugese from Oporto (outskirks) to Tui is pretty nice. Why not start there and see how you get on.
2. the Via de la Plata. certainly from Orense to Santiago is interesting. The route gets (or got) a bit turned around in Oseira, but the vast majority of the stages are fine. I also think that this route has the nicest entrance into santiago.
3. If you are feeling adventurous, I would recommend the Camino mozarabe from Granada to Cordoba. An most rewarding route and Cordoba is a worthy destination.

just a thought or two

Gyro

Thank you Gyro, very good suggestions. Mozarabe sounds incredible, but I don't know If I can do it in 5 walking days. The description sounds very strenuous.

sillydoll said:
You can get a bus from Santiago to Ourense on Monbus - about 7 buses a day.
www. monbus.es

I can't find anything from Madrid to Ourense on that site, but there is a schedule on avansabus.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
gYRO, GREAT IDEA ABOUT JUST WALKING THE pORTUGUESE PART OF THE cAMINO FROM oPORTO. iT IS A WONDERFUL CITY TO START IN AND ENDING IN tUI IS GREAT BECAUSE OF TRANSPORTATION TO sANTI FROM THERE. i PREFERRED THE SOUTH OF THE BORDER WALK MORE THAN THE sPANISH SIDE i HAVE TO SAY.

sORRY ABOUT THE CAP, IJUST LOOKED UP AND SAW THAT THEY WERE ON....
bEV

DO YOU HAVE YOUR CAMINO BUFF YET, P.M. ME TO GET YOURS.

Well, after much thought, I have elected to do the Camino Ingles again. I plan to begin walking from Ferrol on July 1.

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.